Your impression of Darkest Hours EP

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Verdades Parias
Your impression of Darkest Hours EP

Post by Verdades Parias » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:30 am

I just listen, and I was speechless, brilliant in every way. The highest point is the last scream of Timo in Infernal Maze, I was astonished, would be 100% happy if Jörg was totally healthy, but I know it will be a tremendous album anyway :D

ggonza43

Re: Your impression of Darkest Hours EP

Post by ggonza43 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:53 am

Well, guess it was about time someone came up with this topic =P. OK, here I go:
* Darkest Hours: Always the first impression is the one that mostly last within listening over and over one song. Here, "Darkest Hours" shows the style and energy Stratovarius had while composing "Deep Unknown", but not to confuse they both sound alike...And although I sligthly prefer more DU than DH (what a mix of letters!), the song itself is a fresh breathe from the band. Matias and Jens made an amazing solo, but as I've said somewhere before, it could have been longer. The chorus, on the other hand, is damn catchy :D!
* Infernal Maze: When I first heard this track about a week ago (maybe more, can't remember), I only had one word to express my fellings - WOW! The intro makes you think the song is going to be a nice, smooth and quite ballad, and then out of the nowhere, you listen Jens playing those notes at the keyboard, Matias strikes with his guitars, and Jorg smahes in with his fast drums, and you go like "Holy shit! I didn't expect that coming!" Timo's voice is just splendid and excellent in this track...And when you think you've heard all, the solo just blows your mind (Literally!). So far, I can easily state that this track is going to be my most listened song of the album
* Darkest Hours (Demo): Not much to say here, it's a demo after all; but I need to say some things. First of all, different lyrics - With that I assumed the track wasn't initially intended to be the single of "Elysium", and in order to make it catchy the chorus and the entire song was modified, although that's just my impression. Secondly, the length - 20 more seconds doesn't seem to be a lot more song, but that leads me into the final observation - the solo. I mean, I like this one a lot more than the original track; it sounds more like Strato, and Matias displays all his skills in it...So why cut it from the original one? I still don't get it
* Against The Wind (Live): Surely one of my favourite tracks from "Fourth Dimension", it has so much energy you can't help jumping everywhere and banging your head against the wall (well, I've gone way too far). Again, Koti's voice is just marvelous.
* Black Diamond (Live): Do I need to say anything else about this? Only remarkable thing is the inital solo, which BTW is a great job made by our lovely Jens :). The rest of the song is as it is, no need to make a review of it as I think most of us love this song.

So overall, this single has made my expectations about "Elysium" to grow even more, and I think this is a great opportunity for the band to reach a broader audience. It's a great way to prompt the band to places that (sadly) had never heard of them. Highly recomended, and can't wait for the new record anymore :D!
|StratoFan Forever|

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:05 am

Darkest Hours kicks ass, I love it. Love the chorus, almost reminds me of Cain's Offering. Would love to see a video for this.

Infernal Maze... not sure what to think of the first minute. It's different, but I like different. Then it kicked me in the teeth and I loved it! Great song. I think the bridge reminds me of Forever Is Today a little bit. Excellent solos too.

Texidor

Post by Texidor » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:25 am

two words....... FUCKING AMAZING!
SHINE ON!

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:52 am

Like this:

Jude

Post by Jude » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:14 am

I'm glad about these two songs. To me Darkes Hours is even better choice for single than Deep Unknown. Catchy tune, and I'm sure many fans will love this one.

Infernal Maze. At first i thought this was going to be some slow stuff, but when the song really started, i was blown away. Very, very nice song, especially that chorus reminds me of Episode, and that's excellent thing of course.

Stratovarius surprised me once again, i'm quite sure that Elysium will be at least as good as these two songs. 8)

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:03 pm

This EP is GREAT. I'm reading and reading opinions in youtube and other forums and people likes a lot the songs. Darkest hours is a really good song for a single, better than DU. Not as a song, cause I think DU was a "better" song, but not for a single, so I think the choice is better this time.

It is a catchy and powerful song, plenty of energy. The solo is too short, that's true. The solo in the demo was longer. It is a typical Stratovarius song with new elements.

Infernal Maze is just that kind of song that makes you think "dammit, how I love this band and how I want to see them releasing cd's over and over again".

It is the power that Stratovarius always had with new elements (sorry if I say it too much, but it's true, there are a lot of new elements in this era that are making Stratovarius better step by step).

Wow, what more to say, I'm fascinated and full of energy thanks to this new EP and can't wait for Elysium (what a fantastic name). Goddamn, this is Infernal Stratovarius.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

mocobhc

Post by mocobhc » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:43 pm

Interesting to see how a song evolves from demo to final version! Despite the missing solo part, I still prefer the album version though, mainly because I think the lyrics and vocals improved a lot.
Infernal Maze in album quality is even more amazing than it already had been ;) I still miss the lyrics though :(

valo_666

Post by valo_666 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:47 pm

I love it, the live versions are equally good as the ones appeared in Polaris Live. Darkest Hours as single is OK, nothing more for me, but Infernal Maze is what Stratovarius should have been sounding like from 2003, god! and I was even more amazed to see that the production (and mixing in this song) is done by mr. Kupiainen, that's a lot relieving and positive to see that not only Karmila or Tolkki can achieve that mythical Stratovarius sound.

Looking forward to the album :)

EDIT: I'd like to say that the only thing that I don't like that much is the rythm guitar sound :)

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:51 pm

Texidor wrote:two words....... FUCKING AMAZING!
Couldn't agree more with this!
|StratoFan Forever|

A.K.A.
Location:Right in the middle of the left side (upside down, looking backwards)

Post by A.K.A. » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:55 pm

valo_666 wrote:I love it, the live versions are equally good as the ones appeared in Polaris Live. Darkest Hours as single is OK, nothing more for me, but Infernal Maze is what Stratovarius should have been sounding like from 2003, god! and I was even more amazed to see that the production (and mixing in this song) is done by mr. Kupiainen, that's a lot relieving and positive to see that not only Karmila or Tolkki can achieve that mythical Stratovarius sound.

Looking forward to the album :)
+1
\m/

Texidor

Post by Texidor » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:01 pm

Only 48 more days until Elysium.....oh the torture!
SHINE ON!

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:02 pm

Texidor wrote:Only 48 more days until Elysium.....oh the torture!
Haha, I thought I was mad...But counting the days when more than a month is ahead, :lol:!
|StratoFan Forever|

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:51 pm

Texidor wrote:Only 48 more days until Elysium.....oh the torture!
Masturbate on, my friend.
---...---

stratoleo

Post by stratoleo » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:32 am

AWESONEEEE!!! :D
Stratovarius is the best band in the world

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:14 am

One word: EPIC
metal feeds the beast

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:59 am

AGAG wrote:Masturbate on, my friend.
:|
|StratoFan Forever|

Bathory Killcraft

Post by Bathory Killcraft » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:35 am

Both new songs are very good especially Infernal Maze. The way Kotipelto bends his voice after 04:50 is magic. Likewise, the chorus. For me high-pitched vocals is Stratovarius and Kotipelto trademark and should always be incorporated in their work. No high-pitched vocals = no Stratovarius for me.

Production is top notch as is the playing. Tight and clear. I can hear some DT influences, only Strato sound a lot better! :-) I guess Matias and Jens prog side is taking over. Awesome mix.

Guess expectations for the album are very high now :-)
Black Metal is the game I play cos' no one shows me the right way...

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:11 am

So far, I've not read or heard anybody that doesn't like "Infernal Maze"...That's the way it's done Stratovarius :D!
|StratoFan Forever|

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:08 pm

Well. I've listened to it a couple of times now and I can say it's quote good. Darkest Hours is a great song in wich TK really shines! Infernal Maze is musically very good. Some people will be angry when I say this, but god TK's voice in that chorus is horrible. Way to high, and it sounds weak. If the album is full of this I won't buy it. I loved Polaris because of the different use of TK's voice. We'll just have to wait and see.

stratodan1990

Post by stratodan1990 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:16 pm

I think Darkest Hours will also make a good video / youtube single, probably more worthy than Deep Unknown. Infernal Maze is awesome, my favourite track out of the two. Some elements of the Darkest Hours demo I actually prefer to the main version -like the intro bells are much louder and it's really cool. But I prefer the solo in the main one :? if that makes much sense. Though they could have taken a lot of the Matias solos and put them in too, cause the main version seems cut very short. The live covers are also great - Black Diamond is a good performance. It makes a nice EP. Can't fuckin' wait for the album!

empi

Post by empi » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:34 pm

rikkertje wrote:Well. I've listened to it a couple of times now and I can say it's quote good. Darkest Hours is a great song in wich TK really shines! Infernal Maze is musically very good. Some people will be angry when I say this, but god TK's voice in that chorus is horrible. Way to high, and it sounds weak. If the album is full of this I won't buy it. I loved Polaris because of the different use of TK's voice. We'll just have to wait and see.
I agree with you when you say TK's voice was weak(maybe ill dont know the circumstances) in some shows of polaris tour.But you have to admit that he has improved/trained very much.(dont know what he has down).But his voice is in my opionen much better than last year.And on studio recordings weak voice should i laugh ??If you dont buy one let me know then i buy 2 :D

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:40 pm

empi wrote:
rikkertje wrote:Well. I've listened to it a couple of times now and I can say it's quote good. Darkest Hours is a great song in wich TK really shines! Infernal Maze is musically very good. Some people will be angry when I say this, but god TK's voice in that chorus is horrible. Way to high, and it sounds weak. If the album is full of this I won't buy it. I loved Polaris because of the different use of TK's voice. We'll just have to wait and see.
I agree with you when you say TK's voice was weak(maybe ill dont know the circumstances) in some shows of polaris tour.But you have to admit that he has improved/trained very much.(dont know what he has down).But his voice is in my opionen much better than last year.And on studio recordings weak voice should i laugh ??If you dont buy one let me know then i buy 2 :D
If you want to laugh, you should! :)

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:31 pm

This is a recurrent topic...Someone in one of my videos said: "If you don't like TK's voice, you don't like Stratovarius" which is kind of true if you come to think of it. But it depends on the context of the song; I personally LOVE his high-pitched voice and also songs where he sings "normal" if you want to call it. And we have to admit that 70% of Strato's songs, TK sings very high
|StratoFan Forever|

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:14 pm

I like his voice all around, to me singing high all the time doesn't show your versatility, don't get me wrong I love his high voice as well but I also love to hear him tap a range of vocals.
metal feeds the beast

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:46 pm

Of course, I enjoy that too. But you have to face that without TK's high vocals, Stratovarius wouldn't be the band it's today :?
|StratoFan Forever|

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:16 pm

Sometimes the pitch works sometimes it doesn't (Learning to Fly for example)

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:19 pm

Excuse me, are you saying that the highest note TK ever reaches in a song...Doesn't work ????
|StratoFan Forever|

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:21 pm

It's too high. For example in Infernal Maze it's spot on.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:22 pm

I don't know, I love it. This discussion is maybe because I like the high pitched voice, but other doesn't...This will get really serious if we keep going =P
|StratoFan Forever|