My experience with Strato

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
pherai
My experience with Strato

Post by pherai » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:51 am

Hey everybody, as you can tell I'm new to the board. I generally don't post on message boards very often, but I wanted to share with my fellow Stratofans what this band means to me.

I remember I first heard of these guys when I was checking out the Children of Bodom website during school (Im not a very good student haha). I had noticed that each member listed their favorite Stratovarius song. I figured if Bodom liked this band that much, I should probobly check them out. I was browsing the forums and found people describing Strato as Space Metal, and Cosmic Metal if I remember correctly. I was confused, but very much more interested. When I got home from school I looked up some mp3's and got the song Destiny. WOW! I was blown away. I showed my younger brother, who is also a metalhead, who was also in awe. In a few weeks I went to Best Buy and bought Intermission. In retrospect, it was a weird choice for a first Strato cd. Either way, I played this cd into oblivion. I need a new copy now because almost a third of the songs won't play anymore. My favorite track was definitely the live "Hunting High and Low." It really captured a huge sense of excitement and suspense. Sometime later that year in 2003 my brother got a copy of Elements pt 2. I think for the next 2 months or so, the only cd's we ever had playing were Elements pt. 2 and Intermission. Although I've heard what a lot of you think about it, my favorite song ever by any musician is Liberty.

Ever since December 2003, Strato has been me and my brothers favorite band. We would constantly talk about what we imagined during every Strato song, and the awesome music video concepts we had. We then started reading into the Stratoworld online in mid 2004 in hopes of someday seeing them. What a bad time that was to be a Stratovarius fan. I distinctly remember the day when my brother came up to me and utterted the words "Jon, Strato is falling apart." With great grief we read the news of members dropping out, TT was being hospitalized, it was just too much. It was apparent that we had discovered Strato too late. I kept collection albums, because I was glad at least that I had much more music too expose myself to by Strato. We got Elements pt 1, Destiny and Infinite. I've probobly dedicated more time listening to these albums than any other bands. Every song is awesome in its own way in my opinion. I shared this music with everyone I knew, trying to show them what I found to be so wonderful.

Near the end of 2004, when I was sure Strato was over, there was a glimmer of hope, the members of Strato were meeting together to discuss the bands future. Me and my brother rejoiced. In a few weeks our dreams were realized when it was confirmed they re-united. Not only that, but they were planning a World Tour, and an 11th album. It was everything I could have dreamed for. Me and my brother already have tickets for a concert here in California, and plan to buy tickets to another one. I already know it will be the best experience of my life so far. I was a bit saddened to hear Jari wouldn't be touring with the band, because for me Strato won't be the same, however I'm sure Lauri will be a kickass new bassist for Strato. Thanks Jari for the great music you've made for us all.

As you could probobly notice, I mention my brother a lot in this post. I think the thing that means the most about Strato to me is that me and my brother have been able to share it with eachother and bond together. Every song means so much to me. Thank you to everyone involved with Stratovarius for what you've given us and I can't wait to see you guys out here. And hey Jens, see if you can get the band to play Liberty in Santa Ana at the Galaxy Theater or in Hollywood. That would be awesome man!! Hopefully we'll get to hang out while you're here. Anyways, hope you all enjoyed this super long post. Take it easy metal brothers and sisters!!

fifthtea_sausage

Re: My experience with Strato

Post by fifthtea_sausage » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:12 am

I distinctly remember the day when my brother came up to me and utterted the words "Jon, Strato is falling apart."
OH MY GOD thats funny :lol:
"Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung." - Voltaire (1694-1778)

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:14 am

So pherai, I'm not clear about one thing... Do you like Strato?
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

Stratofanius

Post by Stratofanius » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:44 pm

pherai wrote:Anyways, hope you all enjoyed this super long post. Take it easy metal brothers and sisters!!
Wow! Awesome post for your first. Do you have all albums of Strato?

Fireblade

Post by Fireblade » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:31 pm

What a shame this forum is not as friendly as it used to be.

Welcome, anyway! :D Glad that someone else loves Strato as much as I do.
The future is bright, and there's hope in the air,
Together we're singing, together we care.

CottonCandy

Post by CottonCandy » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:15 pm

Its good to see more USA fans here, and great post. I enjoyed reading it! :)
http://www.sarini.net/archives/000271.html

I chose CottonCandy as my nick 'cause I'm sweet, soft, and pink!

Being "in the know" is not necessarily a good thing. ;)

RonimuZ

Post by RonimuZ » Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:43 pm

Hi!
wow, pherai...
Not many people in US know Stratovarius... Though Strato did have some gigs at the east coast not very long time ago, I think...

You really should get all the rest albums you don't have!
I'm missing only Fright Night and Intermission (though I may get Fright Night soon, but no idea of Intermission :( ) And in my opinion, you haven't heard the greatest Stratovarius-songs yet! Buy at least Fourth Dimension, Episode and Visions, and then you'll probably love Stratovarius even more than now! (if that's even possible?!)
" Sacrifice:Life "

fifthtea_sausage

Post by fifthtea_sausage » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:59 pm

I agree with the above. Buy at least Episode and Visions, those songs are truly the best out there. Visions is, and most people agree, their best album and if you haven't even heard Black Diamond yet, you're in for a treat.
"Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung." - Voltaire (1694-1778)

Burning Reflection

Post by Burning Reflection » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:48 pm

@ Pherai - Man, I totally feel you there. I feel the exact same way about strato. I mean, I haven't bonded with any family members through strato., but my mom actually likes Stratovarius A LOT through my excesive playing of their cds :lol: What's funny too is that the first time I saw a Stratovarius cd was in Japan, but the first time I decided to check out their music was after I read the profiles at Children of Bodom's website too. I also figured "If everyone in Bodom likes this band, then I'll have to like it too" I found a few songs and thought the singing was kind of gay, especially when Kotipelto went to the higher octaves like on Forever Free ( I was soley into Black/Death/thrash metal style music/vocals that's why :roll: ) I soon got over ALL metal vocals and started to appreciate many bands that I couldn't before and Strato's shredding solos, uplifting lyrics and amazing composition skills have been a favorite of mine ever since. Peace. Edit: Thanks for sharing! I got inspired to type this up :)

IceBreaker
Location:Somewhere out from Strato-forum (=Etelä-Kymenlaakso)

Post by IceBreaker » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:13 pm

Burning Reflection wrote: I feel the exact same way about strato. I mean, I haven't bonded with any family members through strato., but my mom actually likes Stratovarius A LOT through my excesive playing of their cds :lol:
Lol, I have to say that you´re not the only one who has the same kinda situation. And sometimes this even drive me nuts. :lol:
Anyway, it means that Strato is music for all ages of people. Or at least... :P

Ryuka

Post by Ryuka » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:28 am

Well, I didn't actually know about Stratovarius until earlier this year. It happened one day when I was on the Symphony X boards (iv been a fan of them since their album "Divine Wings of Tragedy"), and people were talking about Stratovarius, and from what they were saying, it seemed like a pretty good band, so i checked out some of Strato's songs. First, i downloaded a few songs to see if I liked them, i downloaded Eagleheart, Eternity, and Elements. I was stunned at how powerful their music is! Imediatly the next day i went out and bought Elements Part 1 and 2...and i couldnt stop listening to them! I really like Soul of a Vagabond, Papillon, Elements, Liberty, and Alpha and Omega. Now I have a good deal of there CDs, i now have Fright Night, Intermission, Visions, Infinite and Elements Part 1 and 2. And i must say, Stratovarius is just...amazing! Iv showed them to all of my friends, and they love Stratovarius as well. My friends got some of there other albums that i dont have, like Dreamspace and Destiny, and i cant wait for their next album :D

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:21 am

i also remember the my first contact with the band (throught their music, i have yet to meet them, although my dad did and he did not know who they were :shock: :shock: :x :x ) it was at a friends house, he is a metal head and i wasnt into music very much back then (talking about 7th grade, i am now in 12th, third highschool year) and he showed me stratosphere, i fell in love with the song inmediatly, now i have like 95% of their songs, i am missing 3 albums, ifinite, fright night and intermission, i have downloaded their songs but i always buy their cds if i finde them, so im completeing their collection slowly but surely
i hope you become another true stratofan, god only knows how much the band is worth it 8) :)
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

pherai

Post by pherai » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:05 am

Thanks a lot to everyone, I plan to frequent here a lot, because, as a lot of you have mentioned, there aren't many Strato fans in USA. I live on the west coast too in California, and we don't have a very good metal scene.

Anyways, at the moment I have...

Episode
Visions
Destiny
Infinite
Elements pt 1 & 2
Intermission

Also have the DVD, cant remember what its called, and the Infinite Visions Live CD.

And to Stealth, I love Strato! I've also heard a bit of the new album. I must say I'm not dissapointed and I'll definitely be getting it the first day!

Once again thanks everyone for the warm welcome :D

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:04 am

So...u like Stratovarius don't u? :wink:
Good to see more Americans that like Strato.
Keep up the pressure.

And Pherai, enjoy the relationship with ur brother!
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

Jester

Post by Jester » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:10 am

Welcome, I am new here too. Your story is similar to mine in the fact that upon hearing just one song you realized that this band had someting that few if any other bands possess. I have been hit by three musical revelations in my life. The first was Van Halen when I was 10, the second was Yngwie Malmsteen at age 13, and finally Stratovarius at age 27. After being a long time disciple of Malmsteen and Vai, the bar for what impressed me musically was set very high, when I first heard Stratovarius I almost literally had to pick my jaw up off the ground!! I am listening to "Anthem of the World" as I write this.

Your bit about your Mom liking Stratovarius reminds me of when I was a kid and I would sit there and listen to my Dad rip on my music and call it noise, because he was all about Eric Clapton and Duane Allman, stuff like that. I remember bringing home a copy of Malmsteen's Odyssey album, playing it for him, and DARING him to call it noise. Then, in the infinite wisdom of my then 13 years I think I said something to him to the effect of "Malmsteen could wipe his ass with Clapton". My fathers speechless reaction was all the satisfaction I needed!! Seriously though, anyone with a love of music can appreciate Stratovarius. And she probably likes the positive lyrics. My parents liked Malmsteen for the same reasons your Mom likes Strato. It's too bad that Stratovarius wasn't really around when I was a kid. They would have saved me a lot of grief, as I remember my parents debating whether or not I could keep Metallica's "...And Justice for all" because of the lyrics. These fights were typical. You can imagine what they thought of Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Megadeth, Anthrax, and King Diamond(who my dad said looked criminally insane)

Stratovarius' positive music and lyrics really helped get me over the pain of breaking up with my fiancee. Not fun!! I have turned a lot of my friends on to Stratovarius. Once you hear them you can't help it!

I realized in my early to mid twenties that Eric Clapton is good guitarist, just not the same type as some of my favorites. :) Maturity!!

And King Diamond DOES look criminally insane, however that may be the thing initially appealed to me when I young. LOL, and maybe still does.

Anyhow keep on rockin bro

Jesse

STRATOSUM

My fisrt experience

Post by STRATOSUM » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:13 pm

I remember when I heard them for the frist time I was with some friends and they put Phoenix, this was in fall of 2003, I got to hear them for the first time, 2 weeks after they were hear playing in the elementos tour!!!!! if I only would´ve heard them 3 weeks earlier i surely would´ve assited their concert so I totally feel you.

P.D. We should keep this forum friendly cuz in the end we all, have something in common, we all like Stratovarius which for me are GODS OF METAL, we don´t need any angry and bitter fan to come and ruin this forum for us.

Aresius

Post by Aresius » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:31 am

I started listening to strato exactly a month later of stratovarius gig in argentina 2003, it was horrible knowing that they came here and i didnt went :(