Mike Portnoy KICKED OUT from ehem... well... that band!

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
RazielSR
Re: Mike Portnoy KICKED OUT from ehem... well... that band!

Post by RazielSR » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:00 pm

ggonza43 wrote:
pneumonia wrote:I can agree with you, but I would just leave this issue and go forward and assume that everybody says sth true, just like MP that atmosphere in band wasn't really perfect. Paradoxally, his leaving made better to it and the rest are more inspired and united.
I'm happy that MP is engaged in recording for Morse now.
Sorry guys, but I just can't believe you're saying that the guy who has contributed almost all the material they have now for 25 years' departure is the best for the band. Sure they now seem more relaxed and "united", but I think it's the best for the band to put an end to this once and for all. Although I'm giving the band one more try, if fans don't feel the music isn't the same as it used to be, I think the decision is up to JP :?
We know MP was one of the most important pieces of DT, one of the creators, but now his behaviour is just not good for the band. Cmon, everybody sees that.
Of course if DT's new album is a flop, the band will dissapear but you can't carry the band with a man like that NOWADAYS. He is not the same anymore, people change and get mad sometimes and makes strange thinks like MP did.
HE wanted to leave, and the rest said the continue. Now he see that his choice was bad, so fuck you man, it was your choice (doesn't sound familiar? ). Now it's all hate and badmouthing against his old friends. The man should be out of DT, at least now, maybe after the next album the'll reunite. Or maybe they talk and save the thing now (I don't think so), but you can't carry on with that man having that behaviour.

And why are you that sure that the band without Portnoy will be ended soon? Hey, the main composer there is JP, not MP. MP was important in promoting the band, ok, but I think somebody else can do it.

Let's see what happen. It's clear, if the new DT album is not good for the people, the band will end, but I DON'T really think that will happen. I think that would happen if MP was in the band.

This man has made the worst choice of his life, and for that he regrets.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:46 pm

Well, this is sounding similar the way TT did with Stratovarius. My opinion here is that I believe in a certian number of people more than others. For example, let's take Stratovarius: If the one who wanted to left the band would have been (I don't know) Jens, I would have been distroyed, but it actually was TT who was eventually becoming to fall to pieces. Now, Portnoy's departure may be the best for the band, and he might be saying things that are far away from the truth, but like it would have happened with Jens, I'm destroyed with this. If for example LaBrie was the one who decied to leave, it wouldn't make any difference.

Of course this was an off-topic comment; talking about it, I'm willing for DT to carry on the legacy, although I wouldn't ve surprised if they decide to give an end to this
|StratoFan Forever|

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:16 pm

I think we can agree that since last 2 CD (in Rebel's opinion 4 CD) show that something must have changed and this is a possibility that thing will go better.
I regret, because I haven't seen them in the classical line-up, but I look forward to hear Petrucci and Rudess, JB and JM in next year. With MP and his break I would wait longer.

MP maybe he made his worst decision, but that is HIS decision. I won't criticise him. He is a great guy, so his carrier go further, but also what is important perhaps he can be replaced.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:28 pm

He wanted to give a "break" to the band in order to recharge batteries, becuase let's be honest, "Black Clouds & Silver Linings" alongside with "Systematic Chaos" (since the begining of the Roadrunner Records era) were in my opinion their worst work ever. I think what MP wanted was to take a small holiday in order to come back better than ever, and the rest of the band didn't agree with him so that's why he left. I think he's a visionary and knows what will happen in the future, although I have to agree with all of you that walking back the same road "begging" to return to the band is slightly pathetic :?
|StratoFan Forever|

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:01 pm

Maybe if they'd stop being lazy and write a bunch of songs before going into the studio, they'd make better, more memorable music. The Count of Tuscany is good, but most of everything else on their last two albums were far below what they should have put out...

If they'd focus on creating a bunch of songs instead of a few really long ones, and write them before going into the studio instead of writing while they're recording, they'd get something better. I mean, Wither and A Rite of Passage? Really? Those songs fucking blow.

BBBBBBBBBB

Post by BBBBBBBBBB » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:42 pm

Wither and A Rite of Passage? Really? Those songs fucking blow.
NO THEY FUCKING DONT!!!!!!!!! :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

AAAAAAAAAAAA 3.0

Post by AAAAAAAAAAAA 3.0 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:43 pm

hahahaha he asked if he could go back to dream theater and they turned him down hahahahaha!!!!!!Poor bastard!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:37 pm

Long songs are more appealing in the media now, and they sell more :?
|StratoFan Forever|

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Not necessarily. There are very few bands that can write long songs (long I mean ca above 10 min), because this is hard to construct a form.
Of course it can be a concept CD with short songs. I mean IMO it is almost impossible to develop some melodies in 4 minutes.
From last album I love Wither, but the solo is definetely too to short. It's not a solo.
I don't want to categorize. There are a lot of great shorts (common in progmetal), but I simply prefer longer than 6 minutes.

And I don't feel media insist on musicians to write longer songs. People generally feel good with 4 minute songs with some exceptions (like Stairway to Heaven or Thriller).

My favorite proportions are on Scenes from Memory long to shorts.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:40 pm

Then how can you explain, for example, that Opeth which is a band that composes ridiculously long songs, are like one of the most commercial bands that ever existed? Think about it, with "Systematic Chaos" the long songs started to pop up, and in "BC&SL" they totally abused of it.

Also not to blame anyone here as I know it's their job, but Roadrunner Records has the tendency to always "destroy" a band
|StratoFan Forever|

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:55 pm

Opeth aren't commercial i.e. comparing with Nightwish. From BC&SL "Nightmare to remember" and "Count of Tuscany" are far better songs than "Rite of Passage". Especially CoT

Before Roadrunner DT had A Change od Seasons, 6DOT and Octavarium as huge long songs.

But Katatonia or OSI or a lot of power metal bands write short and very good music.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:46 am

pneumonia wrote:But Katatonia or OSI or a lot of power metal bands write short and very good music.
Indeed, I want a "Metropolis Pt.3" :D!
|StratoFan Forever|

Kecos

Post by Kecos » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:38 am

a
Last edited by Kecos on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:05 am

pneumonia wrote:Opeth aren't commercial i.e. comparing with Nightwish. From BC&SL "Nightmare to remember" and "Count of Tuscany" are far better songs than "Rite of Passage". Especially CoT

Before Roadrunner DT had A Change od Seasons, 6DOT and Octavarium as huge long songs.

But Katatonia or OSI or a lot of power metal bands write short and very good music.
agree , I dont think Opeth is too commercial among their own rock style.
A9

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:47 am

Yea, Opeth definitely isn't commercial... they're quite successful and they're very well-known but they're not commercial. One of the few bands to be able to do that...

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:56 am

ggonza43 wrote:
pneumonia wrote:But Katatonia or OSI or a lot of power metal bands write short and very good music.
Indeed, I want a "Metropolis Pt.3" :D!
Is that really necessary?.. I mean you have two of those already.. :puke: :puke:
---...---

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:19 am

BC&SL is a fantastic album for me. Systematic Chaos I think it is their worst, but ITPOE 1 & 2 are one of my favourite DT "suites". Imo there's no "bad" album by DT. What happens sometines is that when you are listening to a band a lot of years you get tired of that band and you go and listen a band that is making almost the same, but you like it cause it's new for you.

Now the'll reinvent themselves, like when SFAM came out for example. There were chaotic keyboardist changes, firts Kevin Moore, later two albums and again another change and they released SFAM (remember that FII is maybe the most hated album by DT). I think the next album is gonna be a new beginning fot these guys.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:06 pm

I heard some rumor that Marco Minnemann would be the new drummer in Dream Theater. But on the other hand I hear a lot of strange rumors every day. Funnily, I heard the same stuff about a bunch of other drummers already, too. I'm almost surprised someone didn't walk up to me yet and say he had heard from a "reliable source" that Ringo Starr would be the guy. I guess it's one of the most-anticipated drummer announcements in recent history. :o) "Terry Bozzio? Naw, he's too weird. John Bonham? Naw, he's too dead." etc

But the source of this last rumor seemed a bit more credible. Who knows, I guess they'll announce it when they are ready to.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:18 pm

JensJohansson wrote:I heard some rumor that Marco Minnemann would be the new drummer in Dream Theater. But on the other hand I hear a lot of strange rumors every day. Funnily, I heard the same stuff about a bunch of other drummers already, too. I'm almost surprised someone didn't walk up to me yet and say he had heard from a "reliable source" that Ringo Starr would be the guy. I guess it's one of the most-anticipated drummer announcements in recent history. :o) "Terry Bozzio? Naw, he's too weird. John Bonham? Naw, he's too dead." etc

But the source of this last rumor seemed a bit more credible. Who knows, I guess they'll announce it when they are ready to.
Minnemann sounds a lot in every forum, but who knows. Seems that they can't reveal the name yet because of some legal issues.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:26 pm

Sorry for my stupid ignorance, but I honestly have never heard of this Marco Minnemann. I just hope the guy who replaces MP, whoever he is, suits well in the band. I can grant you that learning all the drum partitures from every DT song is going to be a pain in the ass
|StratoFan Forever|

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:17 pm

ggonza43 wrote:Sorry for my stupid ignorance, but I honestly have never heard of this Marco Minnemann. I just hope the guy who replaces MP, whoever he is, suits well in the band. I can grant you that learning all the drum partitures from every DT song is going to be a pain in the ass

A BIG pain in the ass :lol: That is true. I wouldn't be the one learning MP's drumming parts in DT...

Anyway the guys will know what the bring to the band I hope!

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:45 pm

I'm not a drummer, but I think that on this level of drummers it's not a very big deal to learn old DT material. I'm sure that i.e Jens could play Rudess stuff without problems.

There is a more important question. Do Marco (or other one) will arange and compose well the new material? As I read Minnemann had released a lot of solo projects, so I trust he will compose well.

I think DT chose that drummer who may be not the best one, but who fit the best and I imagine that during auditions they also jammed together and on that way they have chosen.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:20 pm

A drummer would understand this. It's also the fact that almost 45% of the songs DT composed are longer than 7 minutes, not mentioning extreme long ones like ACOS or Octavarium...I dare you not to miss a single note :lol:
|StratoFan Forever|

Burning Reflection

Post by Burning Reflection » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:43 pm

Good discussion, guys!

I think it's a very business like move to kick MP out of AX7; you would think they would have more gratitude and empathy towards a world class drummer that decided to help out and fill the shoes of a deceased band member? MP's just left his band of 20+ years and going through some tough times, give him some slack!

I kind of agree with what you guys are saying, but I'm not gonna really hold it against MP. Sure, he put one of my favorite bands through some turmoil, but he's also done a lot for the band that I haven't forgot. MP seems like he's going through a midlife crisis and doesn't know what he wants. I would like to see MP back in DT (if he stops writing lyrics about his dad :lol: ), and who knows, miracles do happen. I'm really curious to see how this all going to work out.

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:46 pm

Jens might be onto something.
Jordan Rudess' "MIND MELD" supergroup event!

Jordan and drummer Marco Minneman will be taking part in an event on BandCrashers.com with a two-hour live online streaming performance on December 15, 2010. The event will take place at Chicago's premier Plant 10 Studios, at 8 p.m.
CST (9 p.m. EST and 6 p.m. PST).

The "Musical Mind Meld" features special guest guitarist extraordinaire Daniel Jakubovic who will join Rudess/Minnemann in what is anticipated to be a no holds barred improvisational musical excursion through the minds of two of the greatest musicians in the world.

The "Musical Mind Meld" will feature BandCrashers.com's patent pending multi camera angle adaptive high-def video streaming technology, combined with the real-time camera switching user interface, that puts the fan directly in the performance, thereby providing the most innovative, unique and unparalleled live performance experience.

Fans can watch the performance at either of the following websites for only $4.99.
jordanrudess.bandcrashers.com
marcominnemann.bandcrashers.com

Read the full press release here:
www.prthatrocks.com/pressrel/rudessband ... ent_pr.htm
:shock:
Clues...clues...

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:22 pm

Burning Reflection wrote:I kind of agree with what you guys are saying, but I'm not gonna really hold it against MP. Sure, he put one of my favorite bands through some turmoil, but he's also done a lot for the band that I haven't forgot. MP seems like he's going through a midlife crisis and doesn't know what he wants. I would like to see MP back in DT (if he stops writing lyrics about his dad :lol: ), and who knows, miracles do happen. I'm really curious to see how this all going to work out.
Maybe you haven't heard the news: He wanted to come back, but DT said no to him. I'd also love to see MP back in the band, but I think the guys want to move on without him; it's sad though, Portnoy is my idol and he was the one who introduced me to drums playing :cry:
|StratoFan Forever|

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:49 am

ggonza43 wrote:
Burning Reflection wrote:I kind of agree with what you guys are saying, but I'm not gonna really hold it against MP. Sure, he put one of my favorite bands through some turmoil, but he's also done a lot for the band that I haven't forgot. MP seems like he's going through a midlife crisis and doesn't know what he wants. I would like to see MP back in DT (if he stops writing lyrics about his dad :lol: ), and who knows, miracles do happen. I'm really curious to see how this all going to work out.
Maybe you haven't heard the news: He wanted to come back, but DT said no to him. I'd also love to see MP back in the band, but I think the guys want to move on without him; it's sad though, Portnoy is my idol and he was the one who introduced me to drums playing :cry:
Portnoy wanted the band to take a break, they said no, so he left. In a few years maybe Portnoy will come back, if there's a band to come back to

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:33 am

This might make me sound like a dickwad but i'm much more interested in DT without Portnoy then DT with him.

Well this thought didn't even cross my mind when he still was in the band but now that it happened, DT has a fresh feeling.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:58 am

Kosmo wrote:This might make me sound like a dickwad but i'm much more interested in DT without Portnoy then DT with him.

Well this thought didn't even cross my mind when he still was in the band but now that it happened, DT has a fresh feeling.
No, that makes you sound like 90% of people posting on forums. See DTF and you'll read it.

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:28 pm

Funny how everyone on Portnoy's message board is sucking his dick and going "leave him alone, let the man do what he wants!" whereas every single other place online is bashing the man, and rightfully so. Bunch of fanboy pricks.