Subgenres!!!!!!!!!!

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.

Which is your favorite metal subgenre?

Progressive
20%
Power
50%
Black
5%
Sword
No votes
Death
No votes
Speed
15%
Glam
No votes
Nu
No votes
Doom
No votes
Other (don't forget to post what it is)
10%

Total votes: 20

HvyMtlClickWitch
Subgenres!!!!!!!!!!

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:06 pm

And then if you guys are still hungry, you can argue over which artists get classified as what subgenre. :)
Let no man surrender so long as he is unwounded and can fight.

Shurik

Re: Subgenres!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Shurik » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:26 pm

Folk and industrial ...
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

Reaper

Post by Reaper » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:31 pm

I dunno... somewhere between heavy, power and speed...
I can't stand nu and industrial metal...
Like the Phoenix I rise...

Nicko

Post by Nicko » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:36 pm

I voted other. Other being heavy, where is heavy metal on that list?! That is the best damn style of metal out there :D :D

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:23 pm

eek....i forgot to put that on there. sorry.

i always thought of "heavy metal" as a super broad generalization, though. that's probably mostly because i'm young.

Nicko

Post by Nicko » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:24 am

:lol: dont worry im young too, but i consider metal as the whole genre, with heavy metal being one of the (more well know might i add) many sub-genres.

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:41 am

when i say "heavy metal" in a conversation, i suppose i'm usually using it to mean anything antiquated. I guess it's kind of vague, but "heavy metal" to me can mean anything from Motorhead to Helloween, as long as it's old and not crappy. :)

a fair amount of the differentiation between people's ideas of subgenres probably stems from locale, too.....In the US i think people are more likely to chalk up power metal as being exclusively imports, whereas others might consider RJD to be power metal.

Windows Media Player does that automatic labelling thing, drives me up a fucking wall. Blind Guardian becomes "Rock", Three Doors Down becomes "Alternative", and Iron Saviour becomes "Other". Who the fuck is running that shit? ? ? ? ?

gon

Post by gon » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:38 am

HvyMtlClickWitch wrote:when i say "heavy metal" in a conversation, i suppose i'm usually using it to mean anything antiquated. I guess it's kind of vague, but "heavy metal" to me can mean anything from Motorhead to Helloween, as long as it's old and not crappy. :)

a fair amount of the differentiation between people's ideas of subgenres probably stems from locale, too.....In the US i think people are more likely to chalk up power metal as being exclusively imports, whereas others might consider RJD to be power metal.

Windows Media Player does that automatic labelling thing, drives me up a fucking wall. Blind Guardian becomes "Rock", Three Doors Down becomes "Alternative", and Iron Saviour becomes "Other". Who the fuck is running that shit? ? ? ? ?

I think I am quite old in comparison with you, so for me it´s simple: HEAVY METAL. The subgenrs are funny, in the 80´s were mainly the thrash, speed and AOR, but now.... guauuuh, there are so many, but in fact, all of them are METAL. I listen classic heavy metal mainly, for one reason: apart from the NWOBHM, the Bay Area bands ( old Metallica, Megadeth, etc) and some " oldies",I consideer now Helloween, Gamma Ray, Rage, etc, areheavy metal bands, not power metal! in the 80´s these bands were classified as power, thrash even ( Rage), but now, 15 years after that all of them are classics. The differences are now slighter than 20 years ago... in my opinion, of course. :wink:
SE EGOISTA Y HAZ FELIZ A LOS TUYOS SIENDO FELIZ TÚ.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:27 pm

Personally, I think we divide Metal up into too many categories&people get possessive&obsessive about it!
Goth Metal was not on there, neither was thrash&folk!

To tell the truth, even though I am partial to power Metal, I have fav bands in EVERY genre!

And, LOTS of bands are "mixtures"--Stratovarius is sometimes said to be a Power/Progressive/Speed Metal Blend! And, Megadeth= Speed/Thrash, with a hint of black metal thrown in!=P
What do you guys think ???
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Nicko

Post by Nicko » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:32 pm

I wouldnt class Strato as a progressive band but i agree on the speed and power part. Also I wouldnt say that Megadeth has a touch of black metal but i'd agree on the thrash/speed

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:33 pm

The reason I said Megadeth had touch of Black Metal was that for a couple albums, Mustaine had quite a few songs with "growling vocals".
BTW, during the height of MegaD's popularity, I was still married&my ex said MegaDeth was one of the Heaviest Metal bands he'd ever heard&Ironmaiden was one badass, ass-kicking band! This is from a guy that doesn't like music at all except for those"redneck metal" band like CCR, Steppenwolff, ZZTopp&Lynard Skynard.
But, he heard me play Elements 2 a while back&he liked Koti's singing--so, maybe theres hope for the guy, yet! :D :D :D

BTW, Symphonic Metal is a genre, too--Stratovarius is in that subgroup of a subgroup, also! :D
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Maka

Post by Maka » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:33 pm

power forever...

Twilightsymphony

Post by Twilightsymphony » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:57 pm

Yeah.. Metal is pretty cool 8)
Delusions Of Grandeur

Nicko

Post by Nicko » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:39 am

browneyedgirl wrote:The reason I said Megadeth had touch of Black Metal was that for a couple albums, Mustaine had quite a few songs with "growling vocals".
BTW, during the height of MegaD's popularity, I was still married&my ex said MegaDeth was one of the Heaviest Metal bands he'd ever heard&Ironmaiden was one badass, ass-kicking band!
I have to agree with the guy there, Megadeth are one badass band, although they're technically thrash metal so they're bound to be heavier thanbands like Maiden, although Maiden still kick some major ass!

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:57 pm

Heavy/Power/80's/Folk/Viking Metal. :P

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:11 pm

Jesus christ, i figured that if you guys couldn't find your name for whatever kind of metal you prefer in the list, you could rationalize it in one of the other headings. But it would seem that rationality doesn't exactly run rampant among large groups of people.

Twilightsymphony

Post by Twilightsymphony » Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:46 pm

HvyMtlClickWitch wrote: But it would seem that rationality doesn't exactly run rampant among large groups of people.
No. Not really 8)
What about an "All except NuMetal" button?
Delusions Of Grandeur

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:49 pm

Twilightsymphony wrote: What about an "All except NuMetal" button?
A useful button indeed that would be.

gon

Post by gon » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:21 am

I insist: HEAVY METAL AND NO MORE.... progressive, black, death, thrash, power...... do you know that many people consideered Megadeth in the 80´s a POWER METAL BAND, not a thrash band? Is Megadeth similar to, Gamma Ray, or Helloween, or Stratovarius, to include them under the same definition? So, call whatever you want it, but, you know, the last word is METAL.

Twilightsymphony

Post by Twilightsymphony » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:57 am

gon wrote:I insist: HEAVY METAL AND NO MORE.... progressive, black, death, thrash, power...... do you know that many people consideered Megadeth in the 80´s a POWER METAL BAND, not a thrash band? Is Megadeth similar to, Gamma Ray, or Helloween, or Stratovarius, to include them under the same definition? So, call whatever you want it, but, you know, the last word is METAL.
They were surely talking about american power metal like Iced Earth/Jag Panzer and so on, in a way it is a wrong definition to call the melodic speed bands from europe power metal, as the term was given to many of the more thrash like 80s bands in America. So in a way there are influences in Megadeth´s sound... ;)

But here we have our definitions again :?

My fav at the moment is that folk influenced black/death metal like Borknagar, Vintersorg, Falkenbach, Ensiferum, Finntroll and so on, as the music really has a great atmosphere and partly really good lyrics...

In general i dont really care for the genres though, as there are good bands in every genre...
Delusions Of Grandeur

gon

Post by gon » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:42 pm

I have the same opinion: no matter the style the band plays, if they are good!

MAJINDIEGO

Post by MAJINDIEGO » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:46 pm

i like melodic....where is it?
:(
By the grace of God Almighty,
And the pressures of the marketplace
The human race have civilized itself...
...it´s a miracle.

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:56 pm

gon wrote:I insist: HEAVY METAL AND NO MORE.... progressive, black, death, thrash, power...... So, call whatever you want it, but, you know, the last word is METAL.
agreed....but mp3 players sort by genre. if one doesn't subgenre their music, a person could end up with 300 artists in metal, another 250 in rock, and 100 more in industrial....who wants to sort through that? :)

gon

Post by gon » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:04 pm

HvyMtlClickWitch wrote:
gon wrote:I insist: HEAVY METAL AND NO MORE.... progressive, black, death, thrash, power...... So, call whatever you want it, but, you know, the last word is METAL.
agreed....but mp3 players sort by genre. if one doesn't subgenre their music, a person could end up with 300 artists in metal, another 250 in rock, and 100 more in industrial....who wants to sort through that? :)

I am old fashioned. You know, I buy cds, then I use the Nero to convert the tracks to mp3, I do a manual entry , writing all the track titles, artist, etc, so the windows media doesn´t make me any problem with the sort of the genrs. and, BTW, I prevent my cds collection from damages, etc, listening the mp3 files through my pc.