Tribute Albums

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
LittleHarry
Tribute Albums

Post by LittleHarry » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:23 pm

Do you like tribute albums?Which one do you consider best?

I Like these ones very much
Tales From The Underworld (Blind Guardian)
Covered In Filth (Cradle Of FIlth)
Keepers Of Jericho (Helloween)
Death Comes For Us All
It´s Just Matter Of Time

Twilightsymphony

Re: Tribute Albums

Post by Twilightsymphony » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:53 pm

Dont like them. I like covers sometimes, but most Tribute cds seem to be boring and really not necessary, especially because there are often very few good bands doing covers and a whole bunch of mediocre... just my opinion of course 8)
Delusions Of Grandeur

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:58 am

There are some interesting ones, like An Industrial Tribute To Metallica, but most of them are really unnesessary ...
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

cliff

Post by cliff » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:04 am

LittleHarry wrote: Keepers Of Jericho (Helloween)
Yep, that one is really good, with only great bands like Sonata, Squealer, Metallium, Rhapsody...
The second album isn't that good in my opinion.
I have one metal tribute to ABBA. It's definitely not "great" but quite interesting... It's weird to hear our great Oliver Hartman (ex singer of At Vance, and known as one of the best actual singer) singing some ABBA ! :wink:
<b>This is wrong</b>

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:58 pm

I have one called "Darken My Fire: A Gothic Tribute To The Doors". It's very entertaining....and i discovered a lot of bands i didn't know on it.

Other than stuff like that, indeed unnecessary. What the hell is the point of Rev. Horton Heat covering Johnny Cash? Or the A-Teens covering Abba? Same damn thing!

Now, Anthrax covering The Temptations.....THAT'S interesting. :)
Let no man surrender so long as he is unwounded and can fight.

cliff

Post by cliff » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:10 am

HvyMtlClickWitch wrote: Or the A-Teens covering Abba? Same damn thing!
U will think this is stupid, but it's with A-teens that I heard ABBA's music for the first time

Of course the quality of covers can be discussed (at least A-teens covers are ok to me) but the good thing is that it is a good way to make pp (especially other generations) know those bands. ABBA rocks :wink:
<b>This is wrong</b>

gon

Post by gon » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:27 am

Some of them are good, some of then are shit.

Tribute to the Gods ( I think that´s the name) it´s a very good tribute album to Priest. The covrs of Helloween and Saxon are just amazing.

Here in Spain we have a tribute album to Maiden, called Transylvannia 666, which contains some really interesting covers ( only some) but the general result is satisfactory.
SE EGOISTA Y HAZ FELIZ A LOS TUYOS SIENDO FELIZ TÚ.

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:41 pm

cliff wrote:U will think this is stupid, but it's with A-teens that I heard ABBA's music for the first time
i find nothing wrong with that. i heard the Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy's rendition of California Uber Alles before i knew who the dead kennedys were.
cliff wrote:Of course the quality of covers can be discussed (at least A-teens covers are ok to me) but the good thing is that it is a good way to make pp (especially other generations) know those bands. ABBA rocks :wink:
idealistically....yes. unfortunately, the "other generations" aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer, and i wouldn't put it past them to actually think that Puff Daddy wrote "I'll Be Watching You".

But yes, it is a nice idea. :)
Let no man surrender so long as he is unwounded and can fight.