Do you like people?

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Forget-me-not
Do you like people?

Post by Forget-me-not » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:05 am

Really the title of this topic shouldn't sound like this.

Recently my friend said she didn't like people. She explained she loved me, some other her friends, her mother, but she didn't like people in general. It was a shock for me because I have known her for many years and I didn't expect to hear these words from her.

I cried because I like people, in spite of the fact many of them are evil and cruel. Wicked people are unhappy, and a part of Light lives even in the a soul of a complete scoundrel.

Do you think people deserve love despite everything?

Morgana

Re: Do you like people?

Post by Morgana » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:14 am

I'm agree with your friend partly. :roll: My relation to others is neutral. I love my parents and my friends, and I love my beloved... But all the people didn't do for me anything so why do I have to love them? I love all animals and all babies and all trees are growing but not people. :?

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:40 am

Well, it sounds bad, but it depends on how you look at it... Of all the people you see in the streets, chances are the overwhelming majority wouldn't become your friends if you met them at a party, at school, at work, etc. The truth is, very few of them would develop a friendship with you. So... I don't really think I have to like people in general, but that doesn't mean that I hate people in general either. I'm just indifferent. Fuck, this is hard to explain; I'm indifferent in general BUT more than open to meet people when the conditions are right... If that makes any sense at all. :? Oh well, Hvyblah is right; what I usually write is pure "blah blah blah".
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:41 am

She sounds like a misanthropist, if the word I use is right... It depends on what kind of people live around you, I think... If you live in a city, everyone is looking at their own business,they don't care about the others, but at villages it's different. Maybe she has had some cruel experiences from some people,and thus she believes that all people are that "bad"... It's sad, really.

mo-ka

Post by mo-ka » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:45 pm

I like only few people, for the others I don't care.
Every moment is like gold, You'll remember when you're old.

MetalAngel

Post by MetalAngel » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:09 pm

Hmmm, what a hard question to answer to. I must admit that some times ago, I was not good with people. I mean that I didn't like to go out and to see new faces...I felt so bad and I felt anger towards the World. It was a really dark period for me. I had to face to several sad events, which brought me into a withdrawal process. So, that's why I didn't like people, they made me suffer a lot, by hurting me with their words or by mocking me...I really hate people for being cruel and evil. By now, since the last september, I feel definitively better, thanks to a person, who I love deep from my heart. I would like to thank to her for having given me Love and Happiness and having permitted me to love her and to see finally see there is a beauty on this world, even through people. :)
Toutes choses étant égales, par ailleurs, la solution la plus simple est toujours la meilleure.

Spirit Of Metal Webzine : http://www.spirit-of-metal.com

www.myspace.com/metalangelmusic

Forget-me-not

Post by Forget-me-not » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:30 pm

To Stratobabius: My friend lives in the city. I live in the suburbs of the same city too, but its better to say I live in the forest...

I like mankind, but I don't expect everybody to become my friend.. I just suffer when I see an unknown person lading with something, when children or adults are crying, when there is a war somewhere on the Earth. I am glad when I see a stranger that is happy and it doesn't matter if he have done anything good for me or not. I don't demand friendly attitude from people.

Sometimes I wish I were an invisible fairy that brings happiness to all people.

Finally, through love for our neighbours (and not only neighbours) we express our love of God.

Forget-me-not

Post by Forget-me-not » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:39 pm

And sorry for grammar mistakes in my last post. They are because of emotions.

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:58 pm

Forget-me-not wrote:Do you think people deserve love despite everything?
Absolutely not. "Kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates!"
Let no man surrender so long as he is unwounded and can fight.

cliff

Post by cliff » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:42 pm

I think Love must be deserved.
You can respect and appreciate someone, but to make this person a part of your life (a friend...) and to open yourself to him, you must be able to trust him and be sure of what he is, that he's not playing a game. You just CAN'T trust every stranger. There are some nice and great person, and there are also many bad person who just get interest in someone because they expect something in return.
I don't know, even though there are some people that I like and trust a lot, I never really open myself. Shell is good :-)
<b>This is wrong</b>

Morgana

Post by Morgana » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:40 pm

Stealth wrote: So... I don't really think I have to like people in general, but that doesn't mean that I hate people in general either. I'm just indifferent.
This is what I feel. I told you, sometimes I cannot explain clearly what I feel.

Beast_Pete

Post by Beast_Pete » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:10 pm

Morgana wrote:
Stealth wrote: So... I don't really think I have to like people in general, but that doesn't mean that I hate people in general either. I'm just indifferent.
This is what I feel. I told you, sometimes I cannot explain clearly what I feel.
Same here. If I don't know someone, why would I hate/love him/her?
"Mikor az utolsó véred is elfolyék,
S a tested is a porba hullék,
Akkor is van még remény,
Mert a lelked továbbra is él."

- Mark Swanson -
from the book, Nick's legend

Jaakko

Post by Jaakko » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:35 pm

Here we go speculating unaddressed general questions that don't get half as scientific as metaphysics at its worst.

How about conducting a little test. When you see someone in immediate danger of getting hurt, would you attempt a resque operation? That's what it's all about, caring or not caring. Saying indifferent only means you're talking about people with whom you have/have not had human contact with so it doesn't answer the question at all, as they are not actually people for you, just a picture of a mass, faces in the crowd, could just as well be watching a movie.

We can't even have a clear picture of who we are, what we are, and what all 6 billion of us are and make together, so it's hard for anyone to have a valid opinion or real feelings about this huge inarticulated mess. Most of what we know and think is wild guessing and biased opinions spiced up with a shitload of prejudice and what we FEEL... Now that's all individual and really hard to share with others, translating it really only works in art. I love art. People make art. But I don't know if I love people, I only know I love the people who can touch me on some level, get inside my world. The rest are not only indifferent, they're INEXISTENT.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:09 pm

People in groups are narrow minded, easily led and can do the most horrendous things imaginable.

I dislike 'people'.

I like people on their own.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

MetalAngel

Post by MetalAngel » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:41 pm

HvyMtlClickWitch wrote:
Absolutely not. "Kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates!"
Agree with you.
Toutes choses étant égales, par ailleurs, la solution la plus simple est toujours la meilleure.

Patricia

Post by Patricia » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:59 pm

MetalAngel wrote:
HvyMtlClickWitch wrote:
Agree with you.
I second that.
Olen tyytyväinen...Onpa kiva tavata...

MetalAngel

Post by MetalAngel » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:24 pm

Patricia wrote:
MetalAngel wrote:
HvyMtlClickWitch wrote:
Agree with you.
I second that.
:)

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:29 am

Jaakko wrote:When you see someone in immediate danger of getting hurt, would you attempt a resque operation?
If you are trying to get an accurate answer, you are not asking a good question. If I would have to risk my life in order to save someone in immediate danger, I wouldn't attempt anything. But it depends on each particular circumstance.
However, I repeat, I wouldn't risk my life for someone I don't know.
Jaakko wrote:Saying indifferent only means you're talking about people with whom you have/have not had human contact with so it doesn't answer the question at all
I don't get this at all. So you say indifferent refers to people with whom you've had human contact or to people with whom you've not had human contact... What other kinds of people are there?
Jaakko wrote:We can't even have a clear picture of who we are, what we are, and what all 6 billion of us are and make together, so it's hard for anyone to have a valid opinion or real feelings about this huge inarticulated mess. Most of what we know and think is wild guessing and biased opinions spiced up with a shitload of prejudice
I think it's more of a personal issue for you. It's not hard at all for me to have a valid opinion and to know how I feel about this "mess". I don't really know what you mean by wild guessing, and I think that you are way off with the prejudice stuff. I mean, I don't really see the connection with this topic. Whether people have prejudices or not, that's not necessarily connected to the question "do you like people?" Even if there was an imaginary person with no prejudices at all, that person could still answer "no, I don't like people in general" for reasons that have nothing to do with prejudice.
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:32 am

I may be stuck up or arrogant, but I have little more than contempt for many people, especially those who live their own lives with no impact whatsoever, the ones who conform to drone, those who never strive for a difference or to overcome themselves (The path to the Overman. Thus spoke Zarathustra :P), But i do enjoy spending time with my friends and I will not send people away or interrupt them and such. but chances are i will not make the first step in a new encounter unless I have observed said person and think they are good or I like what I see from them.

Kinda wierd I know, sort of like Stealth actually, maybe I am arrogant....
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

Jaakko

Post by Jaakko » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:44 am

I wasn't asking the question in the first place. =P

With prejudice I simply was trying to state that everything you feel about people you haven't been in contact with can only be prejudiced opinions, based on distorted information. To some extent, all communication is distorted, which means that even to like a person you have been close friends since you were kids, you have to look at many bad things he keeps doing, but forgive and focus on the positive and try to understand his reasoning and adapt yourself to it. Why wouldn't it be possible with all people, or at least the general attitude towards strangers?

I guess I gotta move into some hippie community, this place depresses me.

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:49 am

HvyMtlClickWitch wrote:
ohhh God....AMEN!!!
"slaughter of the soul, suicidal final art"

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:22 am

As a species, yes I like people--but, individually, no- its not poosible to like or know everyone. "Love only those who deserve it" sounds so arrogant&cold until you look at the bigger picture. None of us would waste time on junkies, criminals, people who obviously want to hurt us, so there is truth to that statement. however, judgmental people who do not even know us&reject us immediately without regard to our feelings is another matter entirely.
However, in the world as it is, it is smart to be somewhat cynical&paranoid to protect ourselves from people who might harm us, or at least, hurt our feelings. As to wanting something from others, the best relationships are mutually giving&receiving, the person who gives all, or takes all is the loser in any relationship. No one is going to take being a doormat long if the person has any self-esteem whatsoever. OTOH, no one wants to be around a sponge too long, either because that type person will drain you dry especially emotionally.
Yes, I am like most people here, it seems. Very cautious people-wise. I am not proud of being a cynic, but these days a person needs to be.
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Jester

Post by Jester » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:38 am

I keep a close circle. I love my friends like family. They are all like brothers and sisters to me. I would do anything for them, and they for me. I am friendly towards strangers. Hold doors open for women, girls, watch the swearing around small children. Normally I won't start a conversation with a stranger unless I feel I may have something in common with them( t-shirt of a favorite band, or sports team). I will approach women in a bar or club though.

I treat all people with respect until they do something to lose that respect.

Do I like people? I guess I do. I like time to myself though too.

Jesse
"All people improve the gene pool, some by birth, some by their demise".

Forget-me-not

Post by Forget-me-not » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:44 pm

Thanks for your opinions.

Yesterday my friend said me she had been mistaken in her attitude to humanity! She asked my pardon for her words! :P

About indifference... Once I and one my acquaintance were waiting for green traffic lights to cross the street. We saw a women with two little kids. They were running across the street, despite red light. I said to my acquaintance: "She teaches her children to run over street disregarding dangerous cars. When her children grow up a little and go for a walk without their mother, they will follow her example. They will not be so fast and cunning, and they can be run over by car". And she answered: "Why do you think about it? They are not your children"...

SETH

Post by SETH » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:57 pm

I like people, being with people, but trust is another thing. I have quite a few friends, some very close but I would not turn my back on any of them. I have just learned that very few people are worthy of trust. It is a complicated issue and I do not have time to discuss it now, but being careful about choosing friends actually makes people respect you more.

miditek

Post by miditek » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:14 pm

While I certainly don't like everybody, I do try to be as patient and polite with people as humanly possible. Believe me, it's easier in the long run if you do.

For instance, if someone cuts you off in traffic, why let an idiot like that ruin your day?

I'll admit that it's easier said than done, but I've learned over the years to simply ignore people that antagonize me- there is always someone just around the corner that will "take them down a notch", so to speak, and then you can simply sit back and cackle, realizing that while that person had it coming, there's no need for you to put them in their place when the world is already full of compulsive people that would be more than happy to do it for you!!! 8)

Lilith

Post by Lilith » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:35 pm

I like people, of course I do. Just, until someone makes me feel the opossite way.

I'm the kind of person that puts people in their places. I can't just sit and see something I don't like happen before my eyes.

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:29 am

if girls fit the gender, then i love people :P
"slaughter of the soul, suicidal final art"

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:23 am

I like people, just not the sin inside people :)
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:09 pm

htcdude wrote:I like people, just not the sin inside people :)
:ola:
Hey, DUDE!!!!!Welcome back! :funhi:
We have missed you! Things are sure quiet around here without you to liven it up! Hope things are back to normal in your life.
Great to see you here again! :D
:headbang:
:beer:
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~