Perfect pitch

Here musicians can talk to each other about making music etc. Of course if you are not a musician you are still welcomed to this board, but the topics should somehow be about making music.
Alienred
Perfect pitch

Post by Alienred » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:31 pm

Hello!
Is there someone who knows if Jens Johansson has perfect pitch??
I wonder if Mr Jens knows...
Beethoven: Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy...

Rebel

Re: Perfect pitch

Post by Rebel » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:13 pm

Alienred wrote:Hello!
Keyboard/Piano players tend to be the furthest from perfect pitch. Not only does he not sing, but he doesn't even have to tune his instrument.

Not to mention in one of his vids he's singing terribly off key, not that it sounded like an honest effort to be ON key, but, I'd be shocked if he did, perfect pitch is remarkably rare.

Kecos

Post by Kecos » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:11 pm

a
Last edited by Kecos on Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:18 pm

Kecos wrote:Perfect pitch is where you're able to hear a note and know what it is/be able to recreate it, right?
That's a very low key description.

Perfect Pitch is hearing a note in isolation (Without another note to compare it against), and identifying it and recreating it absolutely.

Lesser/less inexact forms are referred to as relative pitch

Alienred

Post by Alienred » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:10 pm

Rebel wrote:
Alienred wrote:Hello!
Keyboard/Piano players tend to be the furthest from perfect pitch. Not only does he not sing, but he doesn't even have to tune his instrument.

Not to mention in one of his vids he's singing terribly off key, not that it sounded like an honest effort to be ON key, but, I'd be shocked if he did, perfect pitch is remarkably rare.
Which one is that?
I would really like to see that video! What was he singing?
It might be that Piano players tend to be the
furthest from perfect pitch but generally people who
play by ear A LOT tend to be the closest to perfect
pitch. I heard that Jens always played everything
by ear. Without a doubt he has insane relative pitch
and he might have some form of perfect pitch by now.
For me perfect pitch is the ability to listen deeply
inside the sound, and when you can hear deep enough
you start to recognize notes. I would not be
surprised if Jens developed it. He may not be able
to recognize isolated notes but I am sure he has it
in some undeveloped (near perfect pitch) form. I
heard of people that trough lifetime of playing
music learned to recognize some specific notes on
their own instrument! And not being able to tell the same notes on other instruments.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:29 pm

Playing by ear is FAR easier than perfect pitch though, because of the question of the isolation of the sound. Due to the way notes related to soundwave and hz levels, it's far easier to tell what 2 notes are if they're played back to back, than to identify them separately in isolation. When you have 5 or 6 notes played together, an experienced musician can fit it into a pattern with ease.
surprised if Jens developed it.
that's not perfect pitch at all though, that's A. an overly romanticized description of understanding the sound of mathematical ratios in music, and B. a sign of anyone who has been playing music for a long enough period of time. If you want to say he has the ability to understand notes played in music, yes, absolutely, but that's not a very rare talent, especially for a musician who has been performing as long as him. In fact, I'd be more surprised if he COULDN'T play by ear.

Alienred

Post by Alienred » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:15 pm

Rebel wrote:Playing by ear is FAR easier than perfect pitch though, because of the question of the isolation of the sound. Due to the way notes related to soundwave and hz levels, it's far easier to tell what 2 notes are if they're played back to back, than to identify them separately in isolation. When you have 5 or 6 notes played together, an experienced musician can fit it into a pattern with ease.
that's not perfect pitch at all though, that's A. an overly romanticized description of understanding the sound of mathematical ratios in music
My definition is based on my experience and (romantic)attempts to acquire this ability. As i said that is perfect pitch in my understanding.
I wonder whats your definition of perfect pitch then?

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:28 pm

Alienred wrote:
Rebel wrote:Playing by ear is FAR easier than perfect pitch though, because of the question of the isolation of the sound. Due to the way notes related to soundwave and hz levels, it's far easier to tell what 2 notes are if they're played back to back, than to identify them separately in isolation. When you have 5 or 6 notes played together, an experienced musician can fit it into a pattern with ease.
that's not perfect pitch at all though, that's A. an overly romanticized description of understanding the sound of mathematical ratios in music
My definition is based on my experience and (romantic)attempts to acquire this ability. As i said that is perfect pitch in my understanding.
YOU NEED SOME DAVID LUCAS BURGE IN YOUR LIFE YOUNG MEN
---...---

Alienred

Post by Alienred » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:33 pm

AGAG wrote:
Alienred wrote:
I prefer PROLOBE.

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:03 am

Alienred wrote:
AGAG wrote:
Alienred wrote:
I prefer PROLOBE.
:lol:

So you're dead serious about the thing! Well, as with penis enlargement methods, you will be very dissappointed with all this $29.99 offers that promise you heaven and do nothing other than going Steve Jobs all over your dreams. But hey! Perfect pitch is actually as useful in life as the ability of farting odorlessly. What's wrong with having a reference point? Not everyone is born with the ability of making paintings out of thin air.. or music since that's what you're going for. Besides, what do you need perfect pitch for? Do you need THAT ugly concept to convey any feelings or emotions that you NEED to express in a musical manner? What would you gain by spending 3 hours a day training for that specific goal?
---...---

Alienred

Post by Alienred » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:21 am

[
If you want to say he has the ability to understand notes played in music, yes, absolutely, but that's not a very rare talent, especially for a musician who has been performing as long as him. In fact, I'd be more surprised if he COULDN'T play by ear.
I wanted to say that he could have developed perfect pitch unconsciously, as a buy-product of playing and listening closely to what is being played. I read in some interview with Yngwie Malmsteen were he said something like that - that he almost developed perfect pitch just by playing a lot. Yngwie sure did played a lot. Maybe he knows the secret and taught it to Jens?

Alienred

Post by Alienred » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:17 am

So you're dead serious about the thing! Well, as with penis enlargement methods, you will be very dissappointed with all this $29.99 offers that promise you heaven and do nothing other than going Steve Jobs all over your dreams. But hey! Perfect pitch is actually as useful in life as the ability of farting odorlessly. What's wrong with having a reference point? Not everyone is born with the ability of making paintings out of thin air.. or music since that's what you're going for. Besides, what do you need perfect pitch for? Do you need THAT ugly concept to convey any feelings or emotions that you NEED to express in a musical manner? What would you gain by spending 3 hours a day training for that specific goal?
I am not really that serious about it!
After training for some time with prolobe, spending no more than 15 minutes in the morning and evening everyday I definitely gained a lot. All the music started to sound more clearly and nicely. When playing music i felt it had some additional meaning which was not there before. It is hard to describe. That effect was apparent especially after training. In general all the music sounded more deeper. In fact that ugly concept (i like the way you put it) or rather training for it really helped me to express feelings and emotions in a musical manner better. I see it not as some ability to name notes but as a deeper awareness of all sound. It improves hearing in general and combining it with transcribing definitely gives results. The learning really starts when you begin to indentify notes in 4 note chords. (I am not David Lucas Burge :lol:)
as with penis enlargement methods, you will be very dissappointed
I can feel your pain :lol:[

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:29 am

Alienred wrote:[
If you want to say he has the ability to understand notes played in music, yes, absolutely, but that's not a very rare talent, especially for a musician who has been performing as long as him. In fact, I'd be more surprised if he COULDN'T play by ear.
I wanted to say that he could have developed perfect pitch unconsciously, as a buy-product of playing and listening closely to what is being played. I read in some interview with Yngwie Malmsteen were he said something like that - that he almost developed perfect pitch just by playing a lot. Yngwie sure did played a lot. Maybe he knows the secret and taught it to Jens?
Yngwie Malmsteen is full of shit, and no, Perfect and Relative pitch is something that, according to all recognized convention, you either have, or you don't.

Alienred

Post by Alienred » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:44 am

Rebel wrote:
Yngwie Malmsteen is full of shit, and no, Perfect and Relative pitch is something that, according to all recognized convention, you either have, or you don't.
Perfect pitch - yes!(according to all recognized convention) But you can definitely learn Relative pitch!

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:05 am

Alienred wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Perfect pitch - yes!(according to all recognized convention) But you can definitely learn Relative pitch!
Not necessarily. Even that requires some amount of innate ability as I understand it, it's just not as strong as perfect pitch.

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:45 am

Meh, I didn't even read this thread. (anything new? :lol:) All I have to say is you can probably distinguish between different tones if you played and tuned your instrument enough over long years of doing it over and over. Unless you are tone deaf...(and playing music? I guess they exist?)

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:45 pm

Rebel wrote:
Alienred wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Not necessarily. Even that requires some amount of innate ability as I understand it, it's just not as strong as perfect pitch.
NOT NECESSARILY.

YOU SEEM TO BE FORGETTING THE CORRELATION BETWEEN THE DEVELOPMENT AS A CHILD IN ONE GIVEN ENVIRONMENT AND THE SKILLS THAT DO TRIGGER LATER ON ACCORDING TO GENETIC BACKGROUND. THIS HAS BEEN DISCOVERED AND REPRODUCED AND PROVEN ALL AROUND THE UNIVERISITES IN THE MIDDLE EAST. JUST ASK AL-KINDI. HE IS THE FIRST AND THEN GOES FREUD. THERE WAS ONE JEW TOO BUT I DON'T REALLY REMEMBER HIS NAME.

DON'T BELIEVE ME, LET US PROVE IT RIGHT NOW.. SAY, YOUR FATHER FARTS AT A PERFECT "Ab" CONCERT PITCH EVERY DAY AFTER HE'S HAD HIS MORNING COFFEE. AND THIS HAPPENS FOR YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS. EVERY DAY. EVERY MORNING. EVERY COFFEE. CONSEQUENTIALLY YOU BEGIN TO ASSOCIATE THE SMELL OF HIS FARTS WITH THAT VERY SAME PITCH AND YOU BECOME KINAESTHETIC. THIS DOESN'T STOP HERE. OH NO. DOG TURD TASTE MEANS "E" BECAUSE A BIRD SUNG THE NOTE HIGH IN THE SKY THAT ONE DAY, EXACTLY WHEN YOU FELL OFF IN A SMALL POND OF DOG SHIT ON YOUR YARD WHEN YOU WERE 4 YEARS OLD. THEN C# BECOMES THE IMAGE OF YOUR UNCLE'S CHEST HAIRS WHEN HE PLAYED "THE LOVE TUNNEL" WITH YOUR COUSIN ON THANKSGIVINGS. Bb IS THE SMELL OF ALCOHOL INFESTED VOMIT BECAUSE EVERY FRIDAY AT EXACTLY 2:32AM YOUR MOTHER MADE YOU HOLD HER HAIR WHEN SHE WAS IN THE TOILET PUKING THE NIGHT OUT AFTER AROUND 2 WHOLE BOTTLES OF 40% ALCOHOL VODKA. THIS GOES ON AND ON UNTIL YOU COMPLETE ALL THE TWELVE PITCHES AND... VOILA! YOU HAVE ACQUIRED PERFECT PITCH NOT GENETICALLY OR INNATELY BUT THANKS TO YOUR CIRCUMSTANCES AND YOUR RELATIVES' OUTSTANDING PARENTING ABILITIES.

CHECK

MATE.
---...---

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:08 pm

AGAG wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Alienred wrote:
Rebel wrote:
NOT NECESSARILY.

YOU SEEM TO BE FORGETTING THE CORRELATION BETWEEN THE DEVELOPMENT AS A CHILD IN ONE GIVEN ENVIRONMENT AND THE SKILLS THAT DO TRIGGER LATER ON ACCORDING TO GENETIC BACKGROUND. THIS HAS BEEN DISCOVERED AND REPRODUCED AND PROVEN ALL AROUND THE UNIVERISITES IN THE MIDDLE EAST. JUST ASK AL-KINDI. HE IS THE FIRST AND THEN GOES FREUD. THERE WAS ONE JEW TOO BUT I DON'T REALLY REMEMBER HIS NAME.

DON'T BELIEVE ME, LET US PROVE IT RIGHT NOW.. SAY, YOUR FATHER FARTS AT A PERFECT "Ab" CONCERT PITCH EVERY DAY AFTER HE'S HAD HIS MORNING COFFEE. AND THIS HAPPENS FOR YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS. EVERY DAY. EVERY MORNING. EVERY COFFEE. CONSEQUENTIALLY YOU BEGIN TO ASSOCIATE THE SMELL OF HIS FARTS WITH THAT VERY SAME PITCH AND YOU BECOME KINAESTHETIC. THIS DOESN'T STOP HERE. OH NO. DOG TURD TASTE MEANS "E" BECAUSE A BIRD SUNG THE NOTE HIGH IN THE SKY THAT ONE DAY, EXACTLY WHEN YOU FELL OFF IN A SMALL POND OF DOG SHIT ON YOUR YARD WHEN YOU WERE 4 YEARS OLD. THEN C# BECOMES THE IMAGE OF YOUR UNCLE'S CHEST HAIRS WHEN HE PLAYED "THE LOVE TUNNEL" WITH YOUR COUSIN ON THANKSGIVINGS. Bb IS THE SMELL OF ALCOHOL INFESTED VOMIT BECAUSE EVERY FRIDAY AT EXACTLY 2:32AM YOUR MOTHER MADE YOU HOLD HER HAIR WHEN SHE WAS IN THE TOILET PUKING THE NIGHT OUT AFTER AROUND 2 WHOLE BOTTLES OF 40% ALCOHOL VODKA. THIS GOES ON AND ON UNTIL YOU COMPLETE ALL THE TWELVE PITCHES AND... VOILA! YOU HAVE ACQUIRED PERFECT PITCH NOT GENETICALLY OR INNATELY BUT THANKS TO YOUR CIRCUMSTANCES AND YOUR RELATIVES' OUTSTANDING PARENTING ABILITIES.

CHECK

MATE.

That was pretty deep! Shit just got real!!!! (jens likes this sentence)

oops PNG, HAH.

tpocain

Perfect Pitch

Post by tpocain » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:02 pm

In high school, I was told I had perfect pitch because you could play a note or chord on the piano and I knew what it was without looking. But after I joined the choir--when I sang a certain pitch out of thin air, it didn't quite match the piano note, so then I was told I just had good RELATIVE pitch...well, whatever...I think Jens could sing if he wanted to--he was just singing off-key to screw around and be funny. (You're talking about that Psycho Jingle Bells thing, right??)
Tams