What is Lauri using?

Here musicians can talk to each other about making music etc. Of course if you are not a musician you are still welcomed to this board, but the topics should somehow be about making music.
stratobabius
What is Lauri using?

Post by stratobabius » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:31 pm

I've been really curious about this for some time now...The only thing I can tell is the ESP bass, (but who can't :P ) Any help would be welcome :)

NeonVomit

Re: What is Lauri using?

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:33 pm

ESP custom built Fender Jazz Bass V copy. Has EMG pickups, from the sound of it.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Eerik

Post by Eerik » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:52 am

stratobabius wrote:I've been really curious about this for some time now...The only thing I can tell is the ESP bass, (but who can't :P ) Any help would be welcome :)
Apart from that ESP he also has a 5-string passive jazz bass copy made by Finnish luthier Juha Lottonen. Lauri seems to be using the ESP more with Strato, though. I´ve had the chance to try them both and they´re brilliant basses, I can tell you that. And as far as the amps go, it´s Ampeg AV-stack. He used to have a Warwick Quad VI and a couple of Warwick WCA 410Pro cabinets to go with it but he does not seem to be using them anymore.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:09 pm

Eerik wrote:
stratobabius wrote:I've been really curious about this for some time now...The only thing I can tell is the ESP bass, (but who can't :P ) Any help would be welcome :)
Apart from that ESP he also has a 5-string passive jazz bass copy made by Finnish luthier Juha Lottonen. Lauri seems to be using the ESP more with Strato, though. I´ve had the chance to try them both and they´re brilliant basses, I can tell you that. And as far as the amps go, it´s Ampeg AV-stack. He used to have a Warwick Quad VI and a couple of Warwick WCA 410Pro cabinets to go with it but he does not seem to be using them anymore.
Yeah, Ampeg seem to do the trick better for Stratovarius' sound.

Eerik

Post by Eerik » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:39 am

NeonVomit wrote: Yeah, Ampeg seem to do the trick better for Stratovarius' sound.
Well Ampeg seems to do the trick for any sound basically ;) I´d sure get myself a nice Ampeg stack if I a) had the money b) had the muscles to carry around a 8x10 :P I´ll do it one of these days, tough...

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:38 am

Well, I'm more of a Gallien-Krueger guy myself, but I wouldn't say no to an SVT and 8x10! :D

BLACK_WINGS

Post by BLACK_WINGS » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:22 am

I can't really understand what Lauri uses...when I saw them at the Gods of Metal in Italy it seems he was using a sort of a fender jazz bass with 5 strings..but it wasn't a jazz bass anyway...he remains a supreme bass player! Come and visit BLACK WINGS website on www.myspace.com/blackwingsmusic ... hope you enjoy our songs, exspecially WAITING THE TIME, it's my favourite..they're all recorded live. Long live Stratovarius!
VISIT www.myspace.com/blackwingsmusic
GREAT MUSIC ON LINE!!!

miditek

Post by miditek » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:58 pm

NeonVomit wrote:
Eerik wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:And as far as the amps go, it´s Ampeg AV-stack. He used to have a Warwick Quad VI and a couple of Warwick WCA 410Pro cabinets to go with it but he does not seem to be using them anymore.Yeah, Ampeg seem to do the trick better for Stratovarius' sound.
Is the AV a tube (valve) amp? I prefer them, even for the bass. I used to use an old "silver-faced" 70s-style 300w Ampeg SVT as well as a silver-faced 100w Ampeg V4-B when I was much younger. At that time, I also used an SRD Bass Rockman as an additional preamp and for effects. :)
Κύριε ἐλέησον

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:58 pm

miditek wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:
Eerik wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:And as far as the amps go, it´s Ampeg AV-stack. He used to have a Warwick Quad VI and a couple of Warwick WCA 410Pro cabinets to go with it but he does not seem to be using them anymore.Yeah, Ampeg seem to do the trick better for Stratovarius' sound.
Is the AV a tube (valve) amp? I prefer them, even for the bass. I used to use an old "silver-faced" 70s-style 300w Ampeg SVT as well as a silver-faced 100w Ampeg V4-B when I was much younger. At that time, I also used an SRD Bass Rockman as an additional preamp and for effects. :)
It is indeed. Tube amps have a lot of character, and really sound fantastic. However, the drawbacks are their size and cost, and they do need careful handling and maintainance.

Which is why unless I ever have roadies and techs doing stuff for me, I'll stick with solid-state :D

miditek

Post by miditek » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:23 am

NeonVomit wrote:It is indeed. Tube amps have a lot of character, and really sound fantastic. However, the drawbacks are their size and cost, and they do need careful handling and maintenance.

Which is why unless I ever have roadies and techs doing stuff for me, I'll stick with solid-state :D
I prefer the sound of tube amps for the bass. I can sympathize about the weight of those units, particularly since I was almost always my own roadie, and also had keyboards, Taurus pedals, and other stuff to tote around! :lol:

I did use a transistor amp for a while though, it was an old Acoustic 360-series head, with some EV cabinets.

It sounded very good for a solid state system, though. I don't think that they even make them anymore.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:08 am

miditek wrote:
It sounded very good for a solid state system, though. I don't think that they even make them anymore.
True, I've used one once and it was great.

That has gotten me thinking though... do I use SS as just 'something to use for now' till I manage to afford & have the ability to transport a tube amp? Or do I actually prefer the SS sound? I can get a fantastic tone that I love with my GK, cutting, sharp and punchy yet with filling deep bass.

Would I upgrade to a GK RB1001, or an Ampeg if the cash suddenly started falling out of the sky?

hmm...

Eerik

Post by Eerik » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:59 am

NeonVomit wrote: It is indeed. Tube amps have a lot of character, and really sound fantastic. However, the drawbacks are their size and cost, and they do need careful handling and maintainance.

That´s exactly what I thought up until last week when I just in the spell of the moment or so decided to sell my Warwick stuff (well I did save one WCA410PRO for smaller gigs) and bought a 1976 Ampeg V-4. It weighs like hell but the sound is just amazing, sounds exactly like an SVT but because of the lower wattage I can get nice power tube distortion out of it without using insane volume.

Yesterday I managed to get my hands on an Ampeg 810PRO cabinet which is now my main cab. The 810PRO is a little different from the normal Classic version: it has two tweeters (which you can turn off, of course) and it has a better frequency response in both bass and treble are than a normal Classic. The power handling is also 300W more than in a Classic version. Oh, and it weighs even more than the Classic version so it´s about 95kg - imagine carrying that to a concert hall without any elevators, urgh! Apparently there were only around three of these cabinets ever imported to Finland. There is an interesting story about this cab, actually, since it is the cab that Jari Kainulainen used when he was in Stratovarius. When he left, he lost the endorsement deal with Ampeg and he had to sell the cab. It is in a REALLY bad shape outlookwise, it´s really beaten up - I suspect he never had any case for it. It has a couple of stickers, "STRATOVARIUS BL" and so on in the back, pretty cool! It´s quite funny to think that I´ve actually seen and heard this cabinet live way back in 2002, 2003 and 2004 :) And never mind the looks but it is just simply the most awesome sounding cab I´ve EVER played through: you can literally demolish buildings with this monster!

A couple of pics of the cab here:
http://riemun.huuto.net/auctionimages/d ... f-orig.jpg
http://riemun.huuto.net/auctionimages/2 ... 6-orig.jpg

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:45 pm

Eerik wrote:
NeonVomit wrote: It is indeed. Tube amps have a lot of character, and really sound fantastic. However, the drawbacks are their size and cost, and they do need careful handling and maintainance.

That´s exactly what I thought up until last week when I just in the spell of the moment or so decided to sell my Warwick stuff (well I did save one WCA410PRO for smaller gigs) and bought a 1976 Ampeg V-4. It weighs like hell but the sound is just amazing, sounds exactly like an SVT but because of the lower wattage I can get nice power tube distortion out of it without using insane volume.

Yesterday I managed to get my hands on an Ampeg 810PRO cabinet which is now my main cab. The 810PRO is a little different from the normal Classic version: it has two tweeters (which you can turn off, of course) and it has a better frequency response in both bass and treble are than a normal Classic. The power handling is also 300W more than in a Classic version. Oh, and it weighs even more than the Classic version so it´s about 95kg - imagine carrying that to a concert hall without any elevators, urgh! Apparently there were only around three of these cabinets ever imported to Finland. There is an interesting story about this cab, actually, since it is the cab that Jari Kainulainen used when he was in Stratovarius. When he left, he lost the endorsement deal with Ampeg and he had to sell the cab. It is in a REALLY bad shape outlookwise, it´s really beaten up - I suspect he never had any case for it. It has a couple of stickers, "STRATOVARIUS BL" and so on in the back, pretty cool! It´s quite funny to think that I´ve actually seen and heard this cabinet live way back in 2002, 2003 and 2004 :) And never mind the looks but it is just simply the most awesome sounding cab I´ve EVER played through: you can literally demolish buildings with this monster!

A couple of pics of the cab here:
http://riemun.huuto.net/auctionimages/d ... f-orig.jpg
http://riemun.huuto.net/auctionimages/2 ... 6-orig.jpg
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

You own Jari's cab?!?!? Most people here know that he's one of my biggest heroes EVER as a player... holy crap!!! That's... insane!!!

However I was under the impression that he still used Ampeg in Mess :???:

Edit: A quick check on Jari's Myspace confirms that he still does use Ampeg. Wonder why he'd sell his cab then... perhaps he had more than one, and got rid of the extra one?

Eerik

Post by Eerik » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:56 pm

This is really getting off topic now but I´ll just excuse myself this time...
NeonVomit wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

You own Jari's cab?!?!? Most people here know that he's one of my biggest heroes EVER as a player... holy crap!!! That's... insane!!!

Edit: A quick check on Jari's Myspace confirms that he still does use Ampeg. Wonder why he'd sell his cab then... perhaps he had more than one, and got rid of the extra one?
Well Jari is the biggest reason I originally started to play heavy metal years ago so it´s a big deal to own his cab for me as well :D I used to be really into punk, ska and stuff like that when I first started playing bass years ago and heavy metal was really not my thing. Then a friend of mine told me about Stratovarius and about an insane bass player this band had. I was a bit sceptical at first. He showed me a couple of Stratovarius songs, Stratosphere being one of them, and after I heard I went under a profound change in the way I looked at bass playing.

From what I heard from the previous owner of the cab gathered, Jari lost his Ampeg endorsement when he left Stratovarius and he had to buy all the stuff from his own pocket so I guess that´s why he chose to buy an SVT-810 Classic instead of SVT-810PRO he used with Stratovarius since the PRO model was double the price when they used to make them. Also the Classic model weighs 20kg less so that must have been an issue as well. I know for sure that when he left Strato he bought himself a new 810 Classic and an SVT-5PRO. Both of the bands he plays in now, MESS and Hoitovirhe, seem to list Ampeg as an endorser so I guess he must have gotten a new endorsement deal after the one he lost when leaving Strato. Anyway this is all hear-say and guessing.

JariKainulainen

Post by JariKainulainen » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:12 pm

Eerik wrote:This is really getting off topic now but I´ll just excuse myself this time...

Well Jari is the biggest reason I originally started to play heavy metal years ago so it´s a big deal to own his cab for me as well :D I used to be really into punk, ska and stuff like that when I first started playing bass years ago and heavy metal was really not my thing. Then a friend of mine told me about Stratovarius and about an insane bass player this band had. I was a bit sceptical at first. He showed me a couple of Stratovarius songs, Stratosphere being one of them, and after I heard I went under a profound change in the way I looked at bass playing.

From what I heard from the previous owner of the cab gathered, Jari lost his Ampeg endorsement when he left Stratovarius and he had to buy all the stuff from his own pocket so I guess that´s why he chose to buy an SVT-810 Classic instead of SVT-810PRO he used with Stratovarius since the PRO model was double the price when they used to make them. Also the Classic model weighs 20kg less so that must have been an issue as well. I know for sure that when he left Strato he bought himself a new 810 Classic and an SVT-5PRO. Both of the bands he plays in now, MESS and Hoitovirhe, seem to list Ampeg as an endorser so I guess he must have gotten a new endorsement deal after the one he lost when leaving Strato. Anyway this is all hear-say and guessing.
Hello, Just have to say that i never lost my endorsement with Levytukku :)
Thats all wolks :)

-Jartsi-

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:33 pm

Straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Good to hear from you Jari!

Eerik

Post by Eerik » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:43 am

JariKainulainen wrote:
Eerik wrote:This is really getting off topic now but I´ll just excuse myself this time...

Hello, Just have to say that i never lost my endorsement with Levytukku :)
Thats all wolks :)

-Jartsi-
Yeah ok, thanks for the information :) I guess the previous owner of the cab was misinformed!

Here´s a pic of Jari´s old cab with my V-4 head at our training place:

http://muusikoiden.net/dyn/users/20560.jpg

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:05 pm

Wow that cabinet looks battered :shock:

Bet it still sounds great though!

Eerik

Post by Eerik » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:14 pm

NeonVomit wrote:Wow that cabinet looks battered :shock:

Bet it still sounds great though!
You should see the back of it - it sure has seen some rough love on the road! A couple of elements have been changed on the way as well. Anyway, it is probably the best sounding Ampeg 8x10 I´ve played through! Really suits my style perfectly.