Tolkki's Statement of May 4th

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
JEngstrom
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tolkki's Statement of May 4th

Post by JEngstrom » Sun May 16, 2004 8:40 pm

Stratobanger wrote:
JEngstrom wrote:

eeeeh? And your point is? Who can say if a song "needs" a solo? Only the songwriter ofcourse as it is HIS very own song and IF a person includes a solo in almost every song like Tolkki does then I wouldnt say that he doesnt like solos.

And Forever... come on, it's a ballad. Let's discuss the majority of Stratovarius songs instead which are NOT ballads. Most of them has indeed fast solos.
Ok....of course only the songwriter knows if the song needs a solo, and i think tolkki includes solos in the songs 'cause it's a part of it! You don't have to like to play solos to make 'em, i think he likes 'em, but not for everything.

Ok...now..,if a fast song has a solo it's because the nature of the song, and to make every single part of the song to look better, c'mon, eagleheart is a great song, and it doesn't have an awesome solo, it's just exactly what fitted in the song, it's pretty melodic but it doesn't have a 1000000 mph solo, and dude...there a lot of solos of stratobalads that could make someone says "Holy shit! That's the most incredible thing i've ever heard" it's not a matter of technique, but feelings

"Use your technique to show your music, not your music to show your technique"
Ofcourse its more important to be able to play with feeling than to have a good technique but a good technique makes it alot more easy to play.

Anyway... my point is that I still find it hard to believe that Tolkki would not like solos. I mean, listen to Black Diamond, Forever free, Phoenix, etc, etc... there are LOTS of those guitar vs keyboard duels and I doubt that a person who dislikes solos would use 'em so much.

Stratobanger

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tolkki's Statement of May 4th

Post by Stratobanger » Sun May 16, 2004 10:10 pm

JEngstrom wrote:
Stratobanger wrote:
JEngstrom wrote:

eeeeh? And your point is? Who can say if a song "needs" a solo? Only the songwriter ofcourse as it is HIS very own song and IF a person includes a solo in almost every song like Tolkki does then I wouldnt say that he doesnt like solos.

And Forever... come on, it's a ballad. Let's discuss the majority of Stratovarius songs instead which are NOT ballads. Most of them has indeed fast solos.
Ok....of course only the songwriter knows if the song needs a solo, and i think tolkki includes solos in the songs 'cause it's a part of it! You don't have to like to play solos to make 'em, i think he likes 'em, but not for everything.

Ok...now..,if a fast song has a solo it's because the nature of the song, and to make every single part of the song to look better, c'mon, eagleheart is a great song, and it doesn't have an awesome solo, it's just exactly what fitted in the song, it's pretty melodic but it doesn't have a 1000000 mph solo, and dude...there a lot of solos of stratobalads that could make someone says "Holy shit! That's the most incredible thing i've ever heard" it's not a matter of technique, but feelings

Ofcourse its more important to be able to play with feeling than to have a good technique but a good technique makes it alot more easy to play.

Anyway... my point is that I still find it hard to believe that Tolkki would not like solos. I mean, listen to Black Diamond, Forever free, Phoenix, etc, etc... there are LOTS of those guitar vs keyboard duels and I doubt that a person who dislikes solos would use 'em so much.
That's right, but maybe he did them to make the song even greater...to add the metal flavor to the song
...And the booga will unite the nations and in the name of the justice, they'll fight against the evil one...

-The Booga Prophecies by Zheo Blackheart, master of all magics

JEngstrom

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tolkki's Statement of May 4t

Post by JEngstrom » Thu May 20, 2004 8:31 am

Stratobanger wrote:
JEngstrom wrote:
Stratobanger wrote:
JEngstrom wrote:

That's right, but maybe he did them to make the song even greater...to add the metal flavor to the song
Have you ever heard all instrumental songs with Stratovarius? They are like a big solo almost :)

Agent Orange

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tolkki's Statement of Ma

Post by Agent Orange » Thu May 20, 2004 1:24 pm

JEngstrom wrote:
Stratobanger wrote:
JEngstrom wrote:
Stratobanger wrote:
JEngstrom wrote:

Have you ever heard all instrumental songs with Stratovarius? They are like a big solo almost :)
Better yet, look at Jens and Tolkki do their 'two-man show' on stage. You can't tell me that Tolkki didn't enjoy doing those!

browneyedgirl

Re: Tolkki's Statement of May 4th

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu May 20, 2004 1:55 pm

Yes, Tolkki&Jens do great "duets". Such as Black Diamond. Then, there is SOS&Kiss of Judas. The 5 guys are perfect musically together--there's no argument about that! :)
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

JEngstrom

Re: Re: Tolkki's Statement of May 4th

Post by JEngstrom » Thu May 20, 2004 9:50 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:
Yes, Tolkki&Jens do great "duets". Such as Black Diamond. Then, there is SOS&Kiss of Judas. The 5 guys are perfect musically together--there's no argument about that! :)
TRUE!! I just can't imagine that a guy like Tolkki would not enjoy playing solos.

Agent Orange

Re: Re: Re: Tolkki's Statement of May 4th

Post by Agent Orange » Fri May 21, 2004 1:17 am

JEngstrom wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:
TRUE!! I just can't imagine that a guy like Tolkki would not enjoy playing
solos.
Not liking to play solos is almost the same as not liking to play music at all.
If you don't like playing solos, then you're not fully enjoying the music you're making.

Stratobanger

Post by Stratobanger » Fri May 21, 2004 3:07 am

Ok ok ok, you got me.....

I think Tolkki LOVES to make solos, because he LOVES music, but i also think that maybe he doesn't like to be the center of atention, just like Cobain, he loves music but he doesn't love to be blind worshiped, and he loves to make solos, but he doesn't want to be judged only by his solos....let's say....it's like a big breasted lady....the first thing everyone looks it's her chest, but they forget to see more, it's just like that
...And the booga will unite the nations and in the name of the justice, they'll fight against the evil one...

khamael

Post by khamael » Fri May 21, 2004 3:38 pm

Last edited by khamael on Fri May 21, 2004 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stratobanger

Post by Stratobanger » Sat May 22, 2004 2:27 am

[/quote]

khamael

Post by khamael » Sat May 22, 2004 1:51 pm

Other people could say that you gimme reason just because you are my First Knight, brother Banger.....:lol: :lol: :lol:

Stratobanger

Post by Stratobanger » Sun May 23, 2004 4:03 am

khamael wrote:
Other people could say that you gimme reason just because you are my First Knight, brother Banger.....:lol: :lol: :lol:
Actually i give you reason 'cause you're right...He loves solos! Everybody loves solos! Everybody loves duets with Jens! But i think that Tolkki wants to be remembered by his MUSIC, not his solos....for example in Speed Of Light....what's the first thing you think? The RIFF.....and in a Malsmteen song what's the first thing you think? Yngwie showing how good he plays....that's it....

khamael

Post by khamael » Sun May 23, 2004 11:57 am

Yeah...you are right and not for the Boogathing :lol:

Stratobanger

Post by Stratobanger » Mon May 24, 2004 12:22 am

Thanx :)

Booga Booga! ;)

khamael

Post by khamael » Tue May 25, 2004 2:33 am

Booga Booga...
I hop to see greats duets between JJ and TT at the Gods of Metal. :)

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon May 31, 2004 3:33 pm

I wish Timo, or Jens would post THEIR point of view about the shows&other StratoMatters........Fans often get their hopes up&their emotions can tend to control much of their thinking(speaking for oneself!) So, it would be nice to get something straight from the horses mouth, as the saying goes! A straight source, in other words!
5 more shows left, I think! A geat sumer for you European folks! I hope to God you realize how goddamn fucking lucky you all are.....

Just a Rock Band?HA!Oh, Really?
Then, you smartasses stay home, and I'LL take your place, then! ;)
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~