How did you get in touch with Stratovarius?

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
jean_luc_picard
How did you get in touch with Stratovarius?

Post by jean_luc_picard » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:55 pm

I don't know if this topic has already been running... please don't flame me, I'm too lazy to search it :D

So, very simple: your first encounter with Stratovarius. Here's mine:

It was late 1997, I was looking on a mail catalog for interesting cds and I saw this awesome cover that really impressed me... there was this red moon, and a comet crossing the rainbow... I thought "fuck this looks great! If the music sounds as the cover looks, this must be the best band in the world! =P" The name of the band piqued my curiosity too: it reminded me of the Stradivari violins, and without knowing I guessed the music could be somehow melodic, which I loved.
I went straight to the phone and ordered it. It took two weeks to arrive, I almost forgot it. Then a wednesday evening I went to the mail-office and took it back home. I spent the first 10 minutes in fixing in my mind all the details of that cover, it was really astonishing (it's still one of my fave arts). Then I put the plate on my cd player... and I went totally crazy! I was lost for words, I phoned my best friend and told him "hey I've discovered this band called stratovarius man they rock" and bla bla bla... :D
In the following months I ordered all their cds... but the Visions one has a weird story, indeed. I used to have an history teacher who loved Iron Maiden, and one day (knowing I did too) he asked me if I knew some "new" bands he should listen to and of course you can imagine the name I shout out :D I rent to that FUCKING SON OF A BITCH the Visions album... and you know what? He was fired 3 weeks later, and I lost the cd... >=(
It took me more than a year to re-buy it... in Germany! I was in Münster for an exchange of students, and the fellow that had been sheltering me (whose name was Lars) was a metal maniac (he introduced me to Blind Guardian), and a day we went to some kind of metal only mega-store and there I found it. Since that day I keep it very jealously like a treasure... my precious! =P

So, that's all... hope I haven't annoyed you! Hope to hear your stories!
Cheers,
=P
What are you going to do then?
Knock on the doors with your head, Peregrin Took!

Lord Aesgareth

Re: How did you get in touch with Stratovarius?

Post by Lord Aesgareth » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:44 pm

My first encounter with Stratovarius is not as interesting as yours... :) Well a friend of mine was often giving me names of 'new bands' he had heard of, because I had some P2P systems with which I could burn him cds. So he gave me 2 StratoSongs to dl : Hunting High and Low and Millenium... Here's the explanation of why Infinite is still one of my faves cds : the first songs I had ever heard of Stratovarius... aaaaaah :eyes So here's my story, as you wanted to hear, but I warned you : not so interesting... :D
La culture générale, c'est coimme la confiture : moins on en a, plus on en étale !

ladyofeternity

Post by ladyofeternity » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:51 pm

Already exist a similar topic, but I'm also very lazy to find :D

OK, I don't care to write again about this 'cause I really love to remind the first time that I heard Stratovarius music =P
A friend give me a K7 with songs of many bands, & that K7 have 3 songs of Strato, the first song that I heard was GALAXIES, I loved that song since the first time that I heard; so beautiful melodies & lyrics that made me feel so good!
I was very curious to know that band, & the first album that I bought was FOURTH DIMENSION, when I heard the whole album I loved much more, & than I became a big fan of the band :D

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:40 am

I have told my story many times,but once more will ot hurt! :D
Well, there used to be a Show on MuchMusic Satellite-TV. Every Saturday Night very late they played a show called LOUD which only played Metal.
Well, one Saturday I just happened to tape the show&MegaDeth was on it. I just kept taping--Well, the Last video was AGAINST THE WIND by a band I never heard before--STRATOVARIUS!!!!!They were AWESOME&GREAT!!! And, I loved them because of their unique melodic, symphonic sound, plus they reminded me of Ironmaiden, even my son agreed. This was Mid-2000.....so, I am a relatively new Fan!

My son&I searched for 4th Dimension&FINALLY, a few months later found a reclusive little record store that ordered it for us.
Well, my son was not much of a StratoFan, although he does like some songs. I gave him the 4th Dimension&I ordered myself a copy. The next was Infinite, then Infinite visions&Intermission. By late 2002 I had all StratoCDs including Solos(CVAT,Hymn to Life,WFTD). my last was 14 Diamonds, a rare compilation which set me back $36.00 and,then, E2. I have not regreted a single StratoPurchase!

I am still as "fanatic" about the band&their Music as I was 4 years ago.
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

MaFiaBoY

Re: Re: How did you get in touch with Stratovarius?

Post by MaFiaBoY » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:49 am

browneyedgirl wrote:
This was Mid-2000.....so, I am a relatively new Fan!
Heh what would I say, I didn't know about Strato even 6 months ago :D
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated ~desu

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:02 am

I treasure that AGAINST THE WIND video I made! I have 2 copies of it, and they are mine. mine, MINE!!!!! :)

I also have 2 StratoT-Shirts....Wish I had more! :)

Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Reaper

Post by Reaper » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:41 am

Once, a friend of mine came to me with his hard drive to save all the data he could, having some problems with his computer by that time. On his disk there were many mp3s, I've decided to listen to see if there's anything intersting, so I came upon Hunting High and Low from Stratovarius. It sounded different than other metal bands that I was listening by then (Iron Maiden)... Instantly became my favorite band...
Like the Phoenix I rise...

Rudess

Post by Rudess » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:40 am

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the boards and so I can't start new topics.

Anyway, I want to let everyone know that I own the following account:

stratovarius@gmail.com

And... Because I already have my own Gmail account, I'm willing to sell it. If you don't know what Gmail is, it is the new Google approach to email, which gives you ONE GIGABYTE of storage. Go to gmail.google.com for more about Gmail. It is currently available by invitation only, because it is in Beta stage. So having a Gmail account is not that easy, and now all of you have the opportunity to own one, with the name of your favorite band in it.

If you're interested, send an email to that same address (stratovarius@gmail.com). I accept Paypal only. Believe me, the price is cheap. I might even accept $10 bucks, or $5 bucks! And you're getting a VERY hard to get email service, with 1GB of storage so you never have to delete any single email again. Besides, the interface is great and there is no SPAM. So, if anyone is interested, mail away!

Thanks a lot, and I look forward to continue posting in this community!

timo the soulforged

Post by timo the soulforged » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:48 am

browneyedgirl wrote:
I treasure that AGAINST THE WIND video I made! I have 2 copies of it, and they are mine. mine, MINE!!!!! :)

i have it too(downloaded from the official site)

my story:i was in a party and some guys were watching the strato dvd...it was playing the video of a million light years away(and hunting high and low later) and when i saw it i really liked the singer's voice...so i bought infinite...now i don't have twilight time,fourth dimension and fright night wich i'm planning to purchase soon!
Gold-Booga.C-Guard

God Called In Sick T

Post by God Called In Sick T » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:01 pm

Well, a friend of mine sent me My Black Diamond via-MSN, and since that day it has been my favourite song of this band, my second favourite band I must add.

NP: Scorpions - Can't Get Enough (live)
Sir Öfdhe Necromountain, slaying motherfucking trolls since the word 'fuck' was invented.

Electric Eye

Post by Electric Eye » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:00 am

Well, it was about 2 years ago, I'm a metal maniac like mos of you for sure, so you know like it is - there are bands you're crazy about, they are your favourites, they are that you know so-so and they are ones you only know a name, I went through that way, bakwards, ofcourse:). That was in my case with many bands, including Stratovarius - this name dropped in my ears and eyes, so I decided to test it. I can't remember how it excatly was, but I think first I saw video Hunting High And Low, and from that poin I knew that's it what I was looking for - melodic, powerful, original sound and style - evertyhing that great band should have. And then it went like an avalanche - song by song, cd by cd. Last year I had an opportunity to see and hear them in Wacken, that was one of the best show I've ever seen, I have even some photos. And if evertyhing will go right, I'll see them in few days time in Masters Of Rock Festival in Czech. Meeting with band is confirmed, so I cannot wait (and sleep in nights:) ). I know many bands, I've heard many records, but Stratovarius is one of the best band and I know it will be forever - its music and lyrics means a lot for me and affect me in realy personal way. It's great topic, it's nice to read your stories, so I wrote mine:)
So where does the power come from to see the race to its end?
From within.

johnnyingrstrv

Post by johnnyingrstrv » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:07 am

well the story of me and stratovarius starts back in 95 when i ever heard wings of tommorow and i can say that i was stunned even if i was a little young after many years that i have seeked for other records of this band my friend has putted me to listen destiny and i was also stunned and fileed with excitement. i couldnt believe it and i was also deeply touched by the meanings of the lyrics they were just awesome ! . So as a band stratovarius entered my heart and have kept me company for long summers for lonely nights and for many moments till now is really a very hard thing to try to cut off from the name stratovarius coz i think that it means a lot to me because till then it was the only band that could really impress me.
Six strings is all you need in this life...

Twilightsymphony

Post by Twilightsymphony » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:18 am

Here is the other topic ;)
Delusions Of Grandeur

geiger9

Post by geiger9 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:31 pm

Ah I remember my first Strat song. I was listening to Europe at the time and downloading some of their songs when I came across one called Twilight Symphony. It sounded a lot different than Europe but I thought, since its live, it just might be them. I tried looking for the lyrics but no such song existed by Europe. Finally my cousin discovered that the actual band was Stratovarius! And since then, I've been hopelessly addicted.

Oh yeah, I made a livejournal community for Strat seeing as it has none. Gotta get some people to join.

http://www.livejournal.com/community/strat4life/
Faster than light, higher than the sky

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:16 pm

geiger9 wrote:
Ah I remember my first Strat song. I was listening to Europe at the time and downloading some of their songs when I came across one called Twilight Symphony. It sounded a lot different than Europe but I thought, since its live, it just might be them. I tried looking for the lyrics but no such song existed by Europe. Finally my cousin discovered that the actual band was Stratovarius! And since then, I've been hopelessly addicted.

Oh yeah, I made a livejournal community for Strat seeing as it has none. Gotta get some people to join.

http://www.livejournal.com/community/strat4life/
I might join, but I won't have time until after this big weekend!:beer:
Sounds interesting--is it like a Forum?
I'll see about it later! :)

Cristiane

Re: Re: Re: How did you get in touch with Stratovarius?

Post by Cristiane » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:27 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:
Happy birthday Brownie! :D
Hope you can have much fun, with ALOT of beer, :beer: good music :headbang:!
Party, party, party!
I'll drink some tequilas in your honour on saturday! :D
Lady Elecktra - Warrioress and Keeper of the Light of Booga

You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Entar

Post by Entar » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:18 pm

EDIT: Actually, I bought Infinite special edition :)
Last edited by Entar on Thu Jan 01, 1970 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Like the last white bird of freedom
Love is dead

browneyedgirl

Re: Re: Re: Re: How did you get in touch with Stratovarius?

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:24 pm

Cristiane wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:
Happy birthday Brownie! :D
Hope you can have much fun, with ALOT of beer, :beer: good music :headbang:!
Party, party, party!
I'll drink some tequilas in your honour on saturday! :D
Thanks so much, and you have a great, fun weekend, too! :music: :beer: :headbang:
Its a long one in USA! 4 days in all!:rvd:
See you, Whenever! :)

browneyedfool

Post by browneyedfool » Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:12 am

My friend, who actually is a forummer hear (occasional) and I were in another forum together, completely seperate from this one.

He kept talking about a band called Stratovarius. The first strato thing I heard was the midi version of Coming Home and I loved it (he sent it to me). From there I searched Stratovarius on Windows Media Player and listened (streamed, so its not illegal) to Black Diamond. From my first hearing of "Coming Home" midi version, I've been a fan of Stratovarius!
Cheers

Distanat

Post by Distanat » Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:57 am

I got my first records(Infinite promo, Chosen ones and Visions) from my littlesister who got them from Niina Tolkki (They were at same class in lower stage of elementary school).
Since then I have gathered twenty records more and now I'm looking for the rare singles like father time, black diamond and so on...
Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum.
Interdum modo elabitur.

StragOvariuS

Post by StragOvariuS » Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:54 am

when a friend come home with the Visions cd...so since that day i´ve started to love strato ehhehe :D
Churrasqueiro Reinassance!!!

MAJINDIEGO

Post by MAJINDIEGO » Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:52 am

i found the name quite funny, so i took Destiny to listen to, and i realized was Jôrg Michael who was playing drums, and i really liked his work in Rage and Running Wild...and as the Vocalist "wasn´t bad", i bought it.
Man...at that time, i didn´t know shit!
;)

P.S.: strago ???
you´re here already... :eyes
:lol:
By the grace of God Almighty,
And the pressures of the marketplace
The human race have civilized itself...
...it´s a miracle.

Zeke89

Post by Zeke89 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:50 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:
Only 2? I have 6! :D

Well, I found Stratovarius when I was at my friend's house. He just listened HHAL over and over again... Then he made me a CD were that song was... But when I really became a fan, was when EP1 was released. Eagleheart pulled the carpet under me.

And... here I am! =P
Now I'm leaving my worries behind.
Feel the freedom of body and mind I have started my journey.
I'm drifting away with the wind I go...

antonio

Post by antonio » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:18 pm

when i listened to 'varius for the first time i was 18.... one of my friend was joining in a power group but his english was very bad..i'm learning how to pronunce and sing "black diamond" when the drummer listen to me and decide that i'll be the new singer..during the current week i get all 'variuis album.. :~(
what story...
Rock and Roll.

Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:46 am

I saw the clip of 'Hunting High And Low' once and was greatly impressed. Soon after, I saw 'A Million Lightyears Away' and was even more impressed, so I decided to buy 'Infinite' and liked the album.
A few weeks later, I found out a friend of mine had more albums, so I gave those a try as well.
I got hooked ever since and now I have all albums.

StratoBOB

Post by StratoBOB » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:38 am

p.s. Thanks for starting this topic again . You bring me back to these great feelings when I first touch to Stratovarius music. I can remember well the expectation and all the rumours and news from the internet in the past four years. I should mention Saule's page which was the best source for the news from the bad in these times. Damn great times , I wish we will have a chance to feel again all these feelings three more time . I mean three more upcomming albums with the TRUE line-up.
Last edited by StratoBOB on Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
BE TRUE TO YOURSELF, BUT DON'T KILL THE OTHERS DREAMS !!!

Heiserich

Post by Heiserich » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:04 pm

My first touch with stratovarius took place in about 95, when they were on headlinertour with Enola Gay. In my former hometown Kamp-Lintfort (about 40.000 inhabitants), where never ever have been cool concerts (or any concerts at all, by the way), one evening a band named Stratovarius played in the "Alte Schmiede" (Biker-pub), just two streets away from the house of my parents. Me and a friend of mine had nothing to do and it sounded like heavy-metal - so we went there. And both suddenly had a new band on our personal top 5! They truely rocked the house (and if you regard the fact, that me and my friend had been the only metal-fans in this pub, this really means a lot) - it was the last show on their tour and they gave everything. Especially TT's guitar-performance made my intermediately gaze open-mouthed - an effect that even today still takes place, when a see him (latest time last year on graspop metal meeting in Belgium). After the show my friend bought the latest album (4th Dimension) - and I did so one year later, as I had to give it back to him...

However, this is one of the few Bands that really could impress me from the first moment I saw them. Now I'm a fan for almost ten years - with no end in sight. Hope they will keep on rocking...
Life can only be understood in reverse
But must be lived forwards...
I'm losing my senses, I'm losing my senses

D. Mustaine

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:18 pm

Heiserich wrote:
My first touch with stratovarius took place in about 95, when they were on headlinertour with Enola Gay. In my former hometown Kamp-Lintfort (about 40.000 inhabitants), where never ever have been cool concerts (or any concerts at all, by the way), one evening a band named Stratovarius played in the "Alte Schmiede" (Biker-pub), just two streets away from the house of my parents. Me and a friend of mine had nothing to do and it sounded like heavy-metal - so we went there. And both suddenly had a new band on our personal top 5! They truely rocked the house (and if you regard the fact, that me and my friend had been the only metal-fans in this pub, this really means a lot) - it was the last show on their tour and they gave everything. Especially TT's guitar-performance made my intermediately gaze open-mouthed - an effect that even today still takes place, when a see him (latest time last year on graspop metal meeting in Belgium). After the show my friend bought the latest album (4th Dimension) - and I did so one year later, as I had to give it back to him...

However, this is one of the few Bands that really could impress me from the first moment I saw them. Now I'm a fan for almost ten years - with no end in sight. Hope they will keep on rocking...

Do you know if there are any Pics on Internet of these Earlier shows?
I'd love to see them!

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:19 am

Very simple: downloading music. The same way i discovered Savatage.
Let no man surrender so long as he is unwounded and can fight.

Neorave

Post by Neorave » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:08 am

Almost a year ago, I was minding my own business on the Internet. My cousin told me to check out this fighting combo video on this website. This video contained special combo moves by three very talented individuals playing the King of Fighters 2002. Anyway, there was this awesome song being played during the movie. So I downloaded the movie, and waited for the credits. Turned out to be the song "Destiny" by Stratovarius. So I got the music, started listening to it, and became a Stratovarius fan.
Somehow I still have an account...yay...?