How often do you still play old classics?

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Administrator
Administrator
How often do you still play old classics?

Post by Administrator » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:25 am

I felt nostalgic today and took a few classics with me to work (Wasp's debut album and Ozzy's Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman).

I couldn't believe how good they sounded after a few years.

How often do you listen to older albums? What albums do you consider as being classics?

Dargor

Re: How often do you still play old classics?

Post by Dargor » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:31 pm

The greatest classic for me is without doubt Painkiller...

Jaakko

Post by Jaakko » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:21 pm

That's a hard one. Generally I prefer music from late 80's ---> because the production and the sound "picture" is so important for my ears. So I guess I don't listen much of old stuff, at least any hard/heavy kind. To me (as being born at that time) old Metallica sure goes to the classics category, but also some music from 90's like Kingston Wall which cannot be seen belonging in our "age" anymore because of the tragic end of the band, it's over and history and fucking good = a classic. I just don't listen music that much that I would care ;)

But some old classic movies and the soundtracks do hit me hard, say, The Graduate soundtrack with Simon & Garfunkel and of course The Good, the Bad and the Ugly with Ennio! :D

MAJINDIEGO

Post by MAJINDIEGO » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:08 pm

I choose them out of the blue to hear...last night i decided to fall asleep listening Led Zeppelin...Achille´s Last Stand is undoubtfully a challeging song...no wonder Dream Theather covered it, and yet, it didn´t sound that perfect!
By the grace of God Almighty,
And the pressures of the marketplace
The human race have civilized itself...
...it´s a miracle.

Veripalttu

Post by Veripalttu » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:38 pm

I listen to older stuff right now. I have Ypö-Viis in my player, next up I'll propably go for Norther-Death unlimited.

Twilightsymphony

Post by Twilightsymphony » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:13 pm

I dont care for age, i listen to the older stuff if i want, or the newer, no big deal. Maybe because most bands are still "new" to me, simply because i cant look back on 20 years of listening to music. Surely musical taste is changing a bit over the years and maybe there are other priorities someday, but atm i hear music all the day, so most stuff gets the attention it deserves ;)

Of course there are albums which surely are classics, for example Dream Theaters Images and Words, the first Sabbath CDs .. most Maiden CDs and so on, which i really hear on a regular base, others are great but i cant listen to them that often. But those are still great when listening to them again, after a while...

Yet there is other stuff... like Manowar for example, that has lost its influence though and is no longer able to keep me interested. This doesnt happen very often, fortunately :D

In general i would say that my interest isnt based on the age of the material/or the time since i bought the record...

My english sucks today 8)
Delusions Of Grandeur

HymnToLife

Post by HymnToLife » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:17 pm

The major metal classics for me are:
Iron Maiden - Number, Powerslave
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
and go on...
But nowdays I dont use to hear them so much...

dwarflander

Post by dwarflander » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:55 pm

I don´t listen to older stuff very often, or at least it seems too seldom :? Anyway, I really enjoy Kiss still, it was the first band that I really got into 20 years ago and it still rocks! :) Other old stuff that I like: WASP, CCR, Rainbow... list goes on and on, there is nothing I enjoy more than good music 8)

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:37 am

Quite a bit!Led Zeppelin,early IM,YES,early Sabbath,etc.The list is endless. I love listening to music,even 60s-90s oldies!
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Jack

Post by Jack » Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:59 am

old classics? not quite sure what you mean by that...

im pretty open minded and will listen to just about anything, but the oldest full album i listen to on a regular basis is probably Kill em All by Metallica.

Enkeli

Post by Enkeli » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:17 am

Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, old Metallica, Judas Priest, Billy Idol...the guys i grew up listening to before i got into European metal. :D
summer's gone a while ago, daylight dims away...

MAJINDIEGO

Post by MAJINDIEGO » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:21 pm

Enkeli wrote:Billy Idol...the guys i grew up listening to before i got into European metal. :D
:lol:
sorry man, but your life sucked!
:D
Don´t worry, mine too!
By the grace of God Almighty,
And the pressures of the marketplace
The human race have civilized itself...
...it´s a miracle.

Enkeli

Post by Enkeli » Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:27 pm

MAJINDIEGO wrote:
Enkeli wrote:Billy Idol...the guys i grew up listening to before i got into European metal. :D
:lol:
sorry man, but your life sucked!
:D
Don´t worry, mine too!
lol i blame my sis for the Billy Idol thing. she grew up in the 80's, i was born in 1990...so yeah, back when i was 5 or 6 i did everything she did and listening to Billy Idol was one of em...now i kinda wonder why i was so stupid, hah.
summer's gone a while ago, daylight dims away...

streakchic

Post by streakchic » Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:49 am

I listen to Ozzy, and Queensryche pretty often...but I know there are more classics than that that I listen to I just can't think of them all at the moment.

celine_kotipelto

Post by celine_kotipelto » Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:31 pm

Administrator wrote:I felt nostalgic today and took a few classics with me to work (Wasp's debut album and Ozzy's Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman).

I couldn't believe how good they sounded after a few years.

How often do you listen to older albums? What albums do you consider as being classics?
Hey! Now you gave me the idea to play my Ozzy albums.. havent listen to them in 1year maby.. This would be cool.. I will choose "No More Tears" :roll:
Let your spirit free, through window of your mind
Unchain your soul from hate, all you need is fate

God Called In Sick T

Post by God Called In Sick T » Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:46 pm

Well, I play everything I got on Winamp with the randomizer on, except for the moments in which I choose to listen only one album or only one band, then I play that album or that band's mp3s.

Thus I can say everyday I listen to classics such as Alice Cooper, Judas Priest, Deep Purple, Sex Pistols, Rolling Stones, Rainbow, Stryper, Kiss, etc.

NP: Stratovarius - Cold Winter Nights