Have you ever dreamed about Stratovarius?

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Re: Have you ever dreamed about Stratovarius?

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:10 pm

As much as I find you all sick for fantasizing like this, I must say that I have always have dreamed, half hoped, that Stratovarius would come to my hometown, and that I would be able to see them play.

Knowing that they never have played together in the U.S., and if they would come, they would probably do it in New York or something, I think there is no chance :S

HvyMtlClickWitch

Re: Re: Have you ever dreamed about Stratovarius?

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:38 am

You write better than any other monkeys i've met. :D

God Called In Sick Today wrote:Why not? If you had read Freud's "The Interpretation Of Dreams" you would have found that it's our unconcious is trying to make us avoid talking about the dream or even thinking about it (that's why we sometimes forget about our dreams the morning after having them).

Thus, if you had some idiotic, illogical, or whatever bad dream and you don't want to talk it is a way to censore your inconcious. Kind of hard, to understand if it's not read in Freud's books. I write like a fucking monkey :D
Yeah, but almost every modern researcher believes "the interpretation of dreams" to be freud's worst work and a crock of shit at that. i personally don't discard freud's theories entirely, but his notions were scarcely biologically based. accurate psychology requires a balance between the mind and the body.

Besides, freud's whole rationale about the manifest content of dreams was based on the fact that he pretty much believed that deep down, we're all Type A personalities who want to eat, get laid, and stomp on the little guys. because this behaviour is "socially unacceptable", our ethics keep us from expressing these Id-like desires. He viewed dreams as a sort of psychological safety valve to vent these desires.

however, i have no problem expressing these desires (although i'm fairly adverse to getting laid). I don't see anything wrong with completely dominating and crushing all those around me in a pyretta blaze of agressive Type A glory. It would seem i would have little use for a mental safety valve....But i still dream.

several modern theories exist regarding the physiological reason for our dreams. The one i prefer is called the activation-synthesis theory. it speculates that dreams are the brain's attempts to make sense of random neural activity that comes from the brain stem during rem sleep. essentially it works this way: the cortex's activities generate random, vivid hallucinations (like the hallucinations we get in stage one sleep; for example, when you feel like you're falling). The cognitive part of our brain fills in these hallucinations by giving them a story line. While we're asleep, the rational parts of our brain aren't necessarily operating (this is documented by PET scans of sleepers in laboratories). Hence the oft weirdness of dreams. But the limbic system IS operating, occasionally at a higher level than normal, which is what makes our dreams have emotion and feeling.

In sum: it's the brain's attempt to make sense of its own activity. And of course, it mostly uses what's readily available......hence we almost always dream about things familiar to us, like Stratovarius.

okay, time for bed. i've been up a little too long and i'm extrapolating needlessly.
Let no man surrender so long as he is unwounded and can fight.