Question about "I'm Still Alive."

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
tanis573
Question about "I'm Still Alive."

Post by tanis573 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:40 am

At the end of the song, two guys are talking. Someone of the forums said it was Kotipelto and Jörg discussing the ending of the song. Can anyone tell me what they say?

Neorave

Re: Question about "I'm Still Alive."

Post by Neorave » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:22 am

I think its TK getting TT's opinion about the song.
Somehow I still have an account...yay...?

Moony

Post by Moony » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:52 am

It's Jörg and Tolkki. Here's how it goes, as far as I can hear anyway:

JM: Fade it out.
TT: Huh?
JM: This is your idea, you didn't...
TT: I don't know this idea, I hear it the first time.
JM: Oh, I told you.
TT: Never.
JM: Doesn't matter.
You know where you are? You're in the jungle, baby. You're gonna DIE!

Maka

Post by Maka » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:59 am

really???

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:22 pm

Was this left on the final recording purposely, or was it an overlooked blooper? :?::?::?:
Eveyone I know that has heard that song wonders about that converstion! :D
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:23 am

browneyedgirl wrote:Was this left on the final recording purposely, or was it an overlooked blooper? :?::?::?:
Eveyone I know that has heard that song wonders about that converstion! :D
I too have been wondering this ever since I first heard it. I think it's both: a blooper they purposely didn't edit out of the final recording, maybe for a bit of comic relief (coz I think it's kinda funny how everything suddenly stops and you hear them wondering)

Oh, and I believe that discussion goes like this:
JM: Faded out?
TT: What happened?
JM: This is your idea, you didn't...
TT: I don't know this idea, I hear it the first time.
JM: Oh, I told you.
TT: Never.
JM: Doesn't matter.

Could be wrong though, I've never been really good at deciphering spoken parts or lyrics without referance.

StratoRico

Post by StratoRico » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:44 am

I always believed that the one who says

This is your idea, you didn't...

It's Jorg,but the one who says:

I don't know this idea, I hear it the first time.

It's Jens!

i am quite sure it's the voice of Jens...

But if you say that it's Tolkki... :?
Make the best out of your dreams.
They're the world where you are free

iron_thunder

Post by iron_thunder » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:38 am

Hey, I asked Johansson last time I interviewed him...
It doesn't exactly tell you WHAT they said, but WHY they said it...
@ StratoRico: Yea, it was Tolkki, not Jens...

CB: Now at the end of "I'm still Alive," there was the sound of an audience, wasn't there? (JJ laughs) What-I mean, how did that (Laughs)…

JJ: It wasn't there when we recorded it (Laughs); I think they put it in during the mix.

CB: Is that why there's that conversation at the end, like "I didn't hear it, either," or whatever? Did you just leave that in there?

JJ: Yeah, I think it's like... (Laughs) basically, it was like this. I think Jörg had always wanted to put in some kind of drum solo (Laughs). You know, he's a drummer, so he wants to play as much drums as possible (Both Laugh). So basically, I think he sort of tried to sneak it in there. And I don't think he had played… you know, the song was originally supposed to fade out somewhere in this ending wash. But I think he was supposed to be faded out even earlier, but what happened was that -I think this was the first take of the song. And it was only him and Timo at that time; Timo was doing the guide guitar, sitting in the same room and this was actually the first time he'd heard this crazy fuckin' one-and-a-half-minute drum solo after the song, like "What the fuck are you doing?!" So first he was shocked and they listened back to it, and he realized this is really weird, you know, weird…interacting thing there. And I think it's the same thing-I think Tolkki's also more relaxed about the whole process than he was; like, maybe five years ago he never would have considered that. He would have just said, "Well, we'll fade it before that," or something, you know. But I think him and [Mikko] Karmilla maybe decided to make even like a joke, little bit (Laughs) with this audience noise in there, I don't know where the fuck that came from, (Both Laugh) but it's funny, it was weird. Yeah, I guess-that song went into "Season of Faith's Perfection." I think it's a nice transition. It's like, when that song starts, it comes from a completely different direction. (Both Laugh). You know so, for me it worked anyway, whatever it… was fucking weird. But the audience was more like…and I think also like, Kotipelto's singing, like… "Huuu-rrraaaahh!!!" (Both Laugh) Screaming something, it's almost like you can hear he's laughing when... I can, anyway. When they recorded that they were laughing, like "What the fuck is he doing?" Because it was a normal song before that; and all of a sudden there's a crazy drum solo, so I think it was poking a little bit of friendly fun at Jörg, a little bit; him singing "Hurrah!" And then Karmilla when he mixed it was like, "Oh, let's put the fucking audience in there," like they're cheering Jörg on there, for his drum solo! For me it's funny; I laughed like hell when I heard the… of course, I know all the guys. And I know all the dynamics behind the whole thing, like "I never heard this before." "What the fuck is that?" (Laughs) "Just fade it out!" (Imitating conversation) But yeah, to me it's funny, but I'm very much an insider to the whole process. To me, it was all the interpersonal dynamics. Like I said, the audience probably came after this "Whooorah!" came. It's a cheering on, like… Karmilla probably said "This is funny!" Jörg, making fun of, but in a friendly way. (Laughs). Finnish humor.

http://www.sacredembrace.com/site/inter ... popup.html