afination

Here musicians can talk to each other about making music etc. Of course if you are not a musician you are still welcomed to this board, but the topics should somehow be about making music.
magicsound
afination

Post by magicsound » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:53 pm

Hi, how often do you guitarplayers have to afinate your guitars? Maybe I am wrong but I think that it should be like a piano, once afinated it, it longs. Besides, when using clear sound it is difficult to apreciate it, but with distorsion certain chords start to sound worse after periods of time, and when I look again to my digital afinator, the strings have moved... I hope this topic would not sound too bizarre to you. I use an E flat afination and I know my guitar still does not sound well at all. Please make your suggestions. Bye and thanks!

Twilight Legionnaire

Re: afination

Post by Twilight Legionnaire » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:12 pm

I tune my guitar once every hour of playing, or less if I'm soloing, and every time I pick it to warm up. I just hate playing a detuned guitar, even if only slightly.
perkele

Jaakko

Post by Jaakko » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:37 pm

I got Gibson and it stays in tune pretty perfectly if set up right, but it kinda changes the tuning during playing whenever I change style, so I usually keep tuning the strings that go out of tune all the time when playing. Of course it wouldn't go out of tune at all if I took the time and sprinkled some graphite powder on the nut to make the strings slide, releasing the tensions.

magicsound

Post by magicsound » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:49 pm

thanks for answering. Great guitarrist´s don´t reafinate their guitars during all the concert, so that´s makes me wonder...

Tolkki is an incredible guitarrist!

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:07 am

magicsound wrote:thanks for answering. Great guitarrist´s don´t reafinate their guitars during all the concert, so that´s makes me wonder...

Tolkki is an incredible guitarrist!
I play bass, not guitar, but I know a lot about guitars (i used to work in a music shop, helping fix them and look after them)...

It's not because they're great players that their guitars never go out of tune. That's mostly because they have guitar techs doing it for them backstage... ever seen how many times Malmsteen changes guitars during a show!?!?! :shock:

Timo's guitar (as well as many other great players' guitars) is equipped with a Floyd Rose tremolo system, which locks the strings at the nut and keeps it in tune for a very long time. The instrument being in tune isn't so much the player, it's mostly the guitar itself.

General rule: Cheap guitar that hasn't been set up and isn't looked after = won't stay in tune well. Good guitar that's been set up properly and is looked after = will stay in tune very, very well.

Yup, and I love Timo Tolkki's playing as well :D
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!