Recently seen movies

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Shurik
Re: Recently seen movies

Post by Shurik » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:50 pm

Morgana wrote:
Shurik wrote:"Little bit" is a big understatement. Parts of Taras Bulba tell about the stuff they did to Poles and Jews and for the whole book Taras and his buddies call the Jews "Zhid" and curse them almost constantly. Funny thing, all this antisemitic stuff was cut from the version of the book I read in school.

What was so bad about 9th Rota, apart from not being original and being very far from the story of the actual 9th Rota? Technically it was good, the characters were good enough for me to care about them ...
I know about this side of critics of the movie "Taras Bulba", you're right. But I think it was made on the ground of political correctness :roll:
And about 9th Rota - believe me, these dialogues and character are absolutely unrealistic. I'm the serviceman's daughter and believe me, servicemen behave another way. I cannot point to details but in common this movie looks like a product of civilian people who have never seen servicemen and their life.
It's a movie, no one expects it to be 100% accurate. It's like I'll never watch another disaster movie a-la Armageddon because the science there is wrong, because I have a degree in physics.
Unrealistic or not, the sign of a decent movie for me is that I care for the characters in the end ...
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

Malteada

Post by Malteada » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:48 am

My grandmother don't let me see Chabelo.

Polaris

Post by Polaris » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:13 pm

This forum is just to talk about new movies?

Or we can talk about movies that we watch from TV & dvd's too??? :?

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:18 pm

Polaris wrote:This forum is just to talk about new movies?

I think it doesn't matter if it was Cinema, DVD or TV. The titel just says "recently seen movies".

Polaris

Post by Polaris » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:26 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:
Polaris wrote:This forum is just to talk about new movies?

I think it doesn't matter if it was Cinema, DVD or TV. The titel just says "recently seen movies".
Ok, thanks!

The last movie that I saw from TV was The Bucket List with Jack Nicholson & Morgan Freeman, nice movie, I think I'll do a list like that too :wink:

Morgana

Post by Morgana » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:50 am

Poor Poor Pavel
I have never thought about Viktor Sukhorukov as about actor but after this movie I changed my mind. He showed another side of Pavel the First's character: helpless child, a person who doesn't understand country that he has to rule over, confused and ruined man. It's severe movie to see.

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:11 am

Just got back from seeing "Flight 666". Awesome.

finnlandia

Post by finnlandia » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:29 am

Twilight

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:33 am

Finally saw Der Baader Meinhof Komplex. A little two dimensional, but all in all a good flick.

DayDreamer

Post by DayDreamer » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:23 am

Band of Brothers.....again....

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:24 am

finnlandia wrote:Twilight
The most overrated Movie AND book of the year.

finnlandia

Post by finnlandia » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:13 pm

I saw once,but I do not look at it repeatedly. Not liked very much!

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:26 pm

finnlandia wrote:I saw once,but I do not look at it repeatedly. Not liked very much!
I've read the book but the film...Oh my god, I couldn't even finish it... :zzz:

La Vita è Bella
Les Choristes
Sex in the City
The nanny diaries
Tried to watch Confessions of a Shopaholic and couldn't. Crappy crappy crappy.

sanichi

Post by sanichi » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:25 pm

carcass wrote:
Finally saw Der Baader Meinhof Komplex. A little two dimensional, but all in all a good flick.
The story gets pretty much lost imo, emphazises the action scenes too much. You really need to know quite a lot about the RAF times to keep up with the plot, but in general its not a bad movie.

AlexisFerreira

Post by AlexisFerreira » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:47 pm

hellboy 2,
10 minutes ago
6/10

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:04 am

Valkyrie

The movie about a plot to kill Hitler which happened in 20th of July 1944. I liked it very much despite knowing how the movie will end. IMO, it was one of the best Tom Cruise roles ever.

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:56 pm

sanichi wrote:carcass wrote:
The story gets pretty much lost imo, emphazises the action scenes too much. You really need to know quite a lot about the RAF times to keep up with the plot, but in general its not a bad movie.
True, like when they blew up the German embassy in Stockholm. Maybe I missed it, but I don't think it was ever mentioned that they were trying to get Baader & Co out from the prison by doing that.

Also, RAF's motives in general were not really explained. Just some old news footage and stuff in the middle of scenes.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:38 pm

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sat May 02, 2009 4:41 pm

Taras Bulba

This movie is a very unsuccessful attempt at turning Gogol's classic into Braveheart type of the movie, only without anything that made Braveheart great. The only actor that remotely tried to act is the guy who played Taras. Battle scenes were beyond awful, the extras didn't even try to look like fighting. And I don't even want to start to speak about the unhealthy doses of pathos, it sounded like 75% of the dialogues were praising Russian land and orthodox faith.

Bottom line - the costumes are great and that polish princess has nice tits. Everything else is awful.

lalodrums2

crossing over

Post by lalodrums2 » Sat May 02, 2009 4:52 pm

"crossing over" 2009

I highly recommend it. :)

Morgana

Post by Morgana » Sat May 02, 2009 5:53 pm

Shurik wrote:Taras Bulba

This movie is a very unsuccessful attempt at turning Gogol's classic into Braveheart type of the movie, only without anything that made Braveheart great. The only actor that remotely tried to act is the guy who played Taras. Battle scenes were beyond awful, the extras didn't even try to look like fighting. And I don't even want to start to speak about the unhealthy doses of pathos, it sounded like 75% of the dialogues were praising Russian land and orthodox faith.

Bottom line - the costumes are great and that polish princess has nice tits. Everything else is awful.
Did you read Gogol in original?

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sun May 03, 2009 1:45 am

Morgana wrote:

Did you read Gogol in original?
Sure, about dozen times in Russian. I know that Cossacks there also talk about Russian land and such, but doesn't sound annoying as it is in the movie. It's a great story which can be made into a great movie without making it sound like a propaganda leaflet. There were also some changes to the story that weren't necessary, like Poles killing Taras' wife, the whole plot with polish princess after the death of Andriy, removal of the explanation how and why Taras went to avenge Ostap. The death of Andriy was much less dramatic than in the book ...

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun May 03, 2009 2:18 am

polish princess has nice tits.
for some of us this is enough to watch it. how is the soundtrack, since this kind of movie usaly has music that i love.

Morgana

Post by Morgana » Sun May 03, 2009 7:11 am

icecab21 wrote:
polish princess has nice tits.
for some of us this is enough to watch it. how is the soundtrack, since this kind of movie usaly has music that i love.
Princess has not so nice tits as Shurik says :roll: And this movie should be seen not because of this :) It's difficult to spoil Gogol's creation, and this movie is a nice example of Russian cinema. It's shooted close to Gogol's text.

Morgana

Post by Morgana » Sun May 03, 2009 7:13 am

Shurik wrote:Sure, about dozen times in Russian. I know that Cossacks there also talk about Russian land and such, but doesn't sound annoying as it is in the movie. It's a great story which can be made into a great movie without making it sound like a propaganda leaflet. There were also some changes to the story that weren't necessary, like Poles killing Taras' wife, the whole plot with polish princess after the death of Andriy, removal of the explanation how and why Taras went to avenge Ostap. The death of Andriy was much less dramatic than in the book ...
I would better call it not "propaganda" but "patriotizm"... :roll: And CossacK's cues didn't annoy me at all.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sun May 03, 2009 8:40 am

I would better call it not "propaganda" but "patriotizm"...
When some guy in a movie gives a big patriotic speech before some fateful battle, it's patriotism. When almost all the dialog in the movie is like "Let's praise great Russian land!", "Orthodox faith is the greatest and should rule the world!", "Let's kill the Jews and the Poles who desecrate our churches!", it's propaganda. Sure, most of it is straight from the book, but when you read the book, you don't hear it being said with as much pathos as humanly possible by mostly horrible actors.

Morgana

Post by Morgana » Sun May 03, 2009 11:23 am

Shurik wrote: "Let's kill the Jews and the Poles who desecrate our churches!", it's propaganda.
Is it propaganda???? :shock: I don't think so... :roll:

NordicStorm

Post by NordicStorm » Sun May 03, 2009 7:52 pm

that polish princess has nice tits.
Although, I suppose that would explain the behaviour of the poles...

(with apologies to the Polish people and the nation of Poland)
Give me liberty, or give me cake!

Polaris

Post by Polaris » Tue May 12, 2009 4:10 am

The Day the Earth Stood Still (new version with Keanu Reeves) is not better than the original, but is good, I like the message of this movie! 8)

The Spiderwick Chronicles, cute movie, I like it! :)

The NeverEnding Story (the first movie) reminds me good times :)

Polaris

Post by Polaris » Sat May 23, 2009 9:35 pm

Twilight

I heard so many people talk about this movie & I don't see nothing special, is more to teenager public, but very weak :roll:

I prefer Interview with the Vampire!