HBO is going to adapt George Martin's Game Of Thrones

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Shurik
HBO is going to adapt George Martin's Game Of Thrones

Post by Shurik » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:02 pm

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... a225032180

Best TV news I heard in a long time. I love A Song Of Ice And Fire books, IMO those are definitely the best fantasy books ever. And judging by Rome and True Blood, the result will be great.
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

browneyedgirl

Re: HBO is going to adapt George Martin's Game Of Thrones

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:40 am

I have all 4 of those books--my son bought them for me last XMas, and I have not even read them yet. :D They are so thick! :shock: I'm sure it will take a couple months to read them all!
Yes, I heard about the HBO series. I am sure it will be on dvd soon, so maybe then I can rent, or purchase. Sounds great!

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:59 am

browneyedgirl wrote:I have all 4 of those books--my son bought them for me last XMas, and I have not even read them yet. :D They are so thick! :shock: I'm sure it will take a couple months to read them all!
Yes, I heard about the HBO series. I am sure it will be on dvd soon, so maybe then I can rent, or purchase. Sounds great!
Just start reading them and you won't stop until you reach the last page of the 4th book, they are very well written and very addictive. Take into account that there's lots of sex and violence (mostly depictions of medieval warfare and its effect on common people) in the books and the main characters are being killed off at a pretty steady rate, the killing-off culminates in one very brutal and disturbing chapter in the third book (you'll know what I mean when you get there). There's also very little magic or other supernatural stuff in the books, to the point where most of the characters never see or experience it ... The books are mostly about a brutal and very bloody struggle for power in kingdom very much like medieval Europe.

The series are not filmed yet, only the pilot episode is planned at this time. The rest will come if the HBO heads will like the pilot ...

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:55 pm

I have started reading this series, and it is as wonderful as everyone has said! Not only that, but I have discovered there are literally hundreds of websites devoted to this series. I understand why the media would be interested in expanding the reach of these very interesting books. There is too much material&way too many characters to create a movie, so a series was a logical step.
Mr. Martin is a fan of medieval history and he wanted to do a seies of books based loosely on the War of the Roses, but to make it more intersting he used a few fantasy elements like dragons, long seasons, and a few supernatural occurances&unnatural people.
(There was an event in the second book about dead soldiers beating back an invasion that made me wonder if Return of the King had used the scene ??? ).

I have a few cast recommendations, and Shurik will get a good laugh out of this I'm sure. :D

Lord Eddard---Colin Firth
Catelyn---Ione Skye or Lena Heady
Lysa---Dina Meyer
Queen Ceresi---Ms. Heifler on Battlestar Galactica
King Stannis---Colm Feore
Jaime--Karl Urban or Mathew McConaughey
Varys the Eunuch---Bruce Campbell
Renly--Jake Gyllenhaal
King Robert--Anthony Head
Littlefinger---Johnny Depp :lol:
Tyrion---Peter Dinkylas(already been cast!)
The Hound--Ron Perlman
Dany--Summer Glau
Drogo---The Rock
Sir Jorah Mormont--Chris Meloni
Tywin---Patrick Stewart
Master Luwin--Tobin Bell
Sansa--AnnaSophia Robb
Arya--Dakota Fanning
Janos---Randy Quaid
King Robb Stark--Thomas Dekker
Viserys--Luke Goss
Red Priestess--Kirstie Ally
Shae---Hilary Swank
Davos---Jason Isaacs or Jeremy Irons
Mad King Aerys---Gary Oldman
Prince Rhaegar---Joaquin Phoenix
Lyanna---Mary Kate Olson

I could have stated more A-list actors but they would laugh at the suggestion of doing a series. Thats why the LOL at Johnny Depp. He would be a terrific Littlefinger but he's too expensive! :)
Well, Hilary, Jason&Jeremy are not exactly chopped liver, either! :D Those are a shot in the dark, too. If money were no concern they all would fit the characters.

Of the characters in the books, so far, I like Catelyn(for her strength&the way she stands up for others and herself), Tyrion(for his sense of humor and sense of justice), Dany(because of her great ambition and strength), and Littlefinger(yep, he's a conniving, opportunist asshole but his sense of humor is all his own! :lol: )

SPOILER: There have been suggestions that the whole chaos was started when Lyanna(Eddards sister)secretly married Prince Rhaegar and she died in childbirth giving her son(who is the charcter Jon Snow)to her brother to raise as his. He promised to keep secret that Jon is the true heir to the Seven Kingdoms(because if it was discovered, the other kings would kill him). So when Jon reached 13, he was sent to The Wall as a member of the very secretive, cloistered Nights Watch because he(and his real identity) would be protected there forever.

I am 3/4 of the way finished with the second book(A Clash of Kings), and in a few days will start the third(A Storm of Swords).
I recommend these books very highly as they are interesting, and kinda educational. Also, the character Tyrion(and Littlefinger) will have you chuckling, thats for sure. :D

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:10 pm

If this turns out anything like Rome, it'll be fantastic.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:49 pm

Actually, browneyedgirl's cast list is pretty good :)

I'm glad you liked those books. Keep on reading and don't get too attached to any of the characters :wink: You never know if they'll survive the next chapter ...

The third book, Storm Of Swords, is my favorite of those currently available. If you like Littlefinger, you'll love his parts in the fourth book because it's where you see just how much of a manipulative scheming bastard he is :)

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:18 am

In April a 5th book(Dance with Dragons) is set to be released. Martin plans to write 3 more books in the series after that!
1.The Winds of Winter
2.A Dream of Spring
3. Arms of the Kraken

I think there are 2 prequels available now, and he plans to write 2 more.
1. Blood of the Dragon
2. Path of the Dragon

So, HBO better strike while the iron is hot!
I think probably 95% of the cast will be unknowns, or C-list actors with maybe a few bigger names to keep people interested.
I think they plan to shoot the series in New Zealand, and Britain.
If the job is done well, it will be an expensive program especially since they plan to do it as true period(about 1300 AD)as possible in regards to clothing, settings, furniture, lifestyle, food, etc.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:25 am

No one, including GRRM himself, knows when the fifth book is going to be released. In his LiveJournal blog he said that he will do his best to finish the book by summer, so it'll be released in September. Another 2 books are planned, Arms of the Kraken is just a collection of Iron Islands chapters from the Feast for Crows.

If the cast will be of Rome quality, I'll be happy. They are going to shoot in Ireland, BTW, sometime in October (one of the producers mentioned it recently).

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:20 am

You have more updated info than I do, Shurik! :) I read the release date was April. ??? Well, I guess my source was outdated.
Arms of the Kraken is just a collection of stories? Well, that'll be good, too.
The websites I gleaned the info from are a few months old, so I did not know about Ireland(which sounds good). I know they were hoping to shoot in New Zealand. I guess they have a budget&have to work within it.
This project was being planned even before the writers strike, so it has been delayed somewhat. Better late than never, I guess. Hopefully we will hear about more cast additions as time goes on! :)

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:09 pm

You have more updated info than I do, Shurik!
The best place to get updates is from Martin's LiveJournal blog. It's the first place where he's supposed to announce the completion of the fifth book (after he contacts the publisher, of course). He mostly writes about all sorts of things not related to the series:
http://grrm.livejournal.com/

There's also a blog which posts speculations/rumors and such about the TV adaptation:
http://winter-is-coming.blogspot.com/

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:54 pm

Thanks for those links, Shurik! :) Those of us who are interested in this project will find them interesting.

Many fan websites regarding the HBO series are like my post recommending cast members. :D Not too in touch, but full of hope. :lol:
I did read somewhere that Ms. Helfer did did an offer for a leading role in an upcoming fantasy series. She's not allowed to discuss it yet. People are speculating it might be in The Game of Thrones, either Ceresi or Catelyn. ;)

http://www.oliverwillis.com/celebritypi ... mbnail.jpg

I think that might be Ceresi......:oops:
Yeah, I googled her. :lol:

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:04 pm

I think that might be Ceresi.....
Tricia Helfer is doing wonders on BSG, I also hope she will get the role.

Here's another link for you - a good forum which the producers of the adaptation are visiting from time to time:
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?act=idx

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:48 am

Oh, one more character I dislike: THEON
:yuk: He is sorry as whaleshit, as the saying goes. :lol:
But, I LOLed at the trick his sister Asha played on him when she was introduced in the story. :D Remember that, Shurik? :lol:

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:21 am

browneyedgirl wrote:Oh, one more character I dislike: THEON
But, I LOLed at the trick his sister Asha played on him when she was introduced in the story. :D Remember that, Shurik? :lol:
Yeah, that was a good scene :)
Theon is a scumbag but unfortunately for him he's probably the dumbest member of his family. He got what he deserved ...

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:51 am

Shurik wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:Oh, one more character I dislike: THEON
Yeah, that was a good scene :)
Theon is a scumbag but unfortunately for him he's probably the dumbest member of his family. He got what he deserved ...
It really turned my stomach when Theon had those children killed, and then told everyone they were the Stark boys. That was really lowest of the low. Of course, many people do violent&awful things in these books. :)
That boat scene with the Red Priestess was really weird, too. I mean, WOW! What is she really? A Satanist? :D Is the "Lord of the Light" really the Devil?

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:52 am

That was really lowest of the low.
That's pretty low for the first two books. There are much worse things in the next books ...
That boat scene with the Red Priestess was really weird, too. I mean, WOW! What is she really? A Satanist? Very Happy Is the "Lord of the Light" really the Devil?
Apparently, the red priests have some control over magic and can do pretty wacky things. I don't think Martin intended for the God of Light to be a Devil allegory, that religion comes from far east in the books' world and probably it is just that - a weird, mystical and exotic religion from somewhere far away ...

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:49 pm

Shurik wrote:
That was really lowest of the low.
That's pretty low for the first two books. There are much worse things in the next books ...
Thats good to know because I have just a few chapters left to read in "A Clash of Kings" so, I'll be starting "A Storm of Swords" this weekend! :D
Actually, since these books seem to take place during medieval era, in wartimes probably this kind of extreme bloodshed&violence really happened back in those days. ??? I guess Mr. Martin wanted to make it as realistic as possible within reason.

That boat scene with the Red Priestess was really weird, too. I mean, WOW! What is she really? A Satanist? Very Happy Is the "Lord of the Light" really the Devil?
Apparently, the red priests have some control over magic and can do pretty wacky things. I don't think Martin intended for the God of Light to be a Devil allegory, that religion comes from far east in the books' world and probably it is just that - a weird, mystical and exotic religion from somewhere far away ...
Hmmmmmmmmmm, interesting......

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:38 am

So, how's A Storm Of Swords? :)

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:30 am

Very interesting, and very surprising! :shock:
Another character I hate: Old Man Frey. :x What an egotistical asshole. :x He had King Robb killed. :~(
And, Tyrion married Sansa. :D I still like that little guy. And, Jaime is trying to change for the better, too. So far. :err:
I am at the point where King Stannis has arrived at the wall. I like his character OK, but the Red Priestess I think has him deluded, or something.

I think I will finish SOS in a couple of days, then start on A Feast For Crows this weekend. :)

Very good series. And, yes, I think Jon is Prince Rhaegar&Lyanna's son, after all. ;)
Not trying to jump way ahead but I think Jon&Dany will be together in the end. I mean the very end of the tale.:)

Oh, that Littlefinger had King Joffery killed? I don't like him much anymore! :D

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:43 am

Very interesting, and very surprising! Shocked
Another character I hate: Old Man Frey. Mad What an egotistical asshole. Mad He had King Robb killed. Crying
He also had Catelyn and many many others killed.
And the moral of the story - guys, don't think with your manhoods :twisted:
On a more serious note - this is probably my favorite part in the entire series, this chapter and the one that follows where Tywin, Tyrion and others discuss what happened and Tywin's justification of the Red Wedding succeeds to sound somehow logical (cold, sick, twisted - but logical).
Oh, that Littlefinger had King Joffery killed? I don't like him much anymore!
It's not entirely clear who killed him, IIRC, it's not made clear so far. But the little creep had to go ...

Enjoy the rest of the series :)

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:23 am

:lol: It seems most of the guys in this series think with their cocks........or wallets. What did Fat Walda say, her father gave Lord Bolton a dowry of 1 pound of silver for every pound she weighed? She was like, 250 pounds. That was alot of money in medieval times! :lol:

Here is a fan site, the girl has her own opinions who should be in the cast. :D

http://wightsvsdragons.tripod.com/id1.html

Edward Norton as Littlefinger? :lol: Never thought of him, but he would be good in that role, I think. :D

And, I finished SOS today. Tied up a few loose ends, but opened other questions.
I'm glad a certain party survived ;) and I hope Ceresi gets what is coming to her! Like her Dad. ;)

I think the hypothesis is Tyrion is suposed to join forces(military speaking) with Dany. ???
IMO, it will be the "supernatural&religious"(Stannis' army) vs. the Dragons. ???? But, thats just my speculation, who knows what GRRM has in store! :D
3 more books to go!

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:09 am

The winter-is-coming blog has some really neat stuff on it, and it is updated often.

I'm on page 150 in A Feast For Crows.
BTW, there is a theory which says King Renly&Sir Loras were lovers. ??? I mean, that Rainbow Guard thing. Also, I think it was King Stannis who said Renly was always sticking his sword in the wrong sheath. ??? Innuendo there. :D

And, Dany is Bi. She and her beautiful handmaid have some pretty hot scenes together. :oops:
I read that there was going to be quite a bit of nudity and the sex/love scenes would be sort of graphic.
The storyline is planned to follow the books pretty closely.

http://takoren.tripod.com/asongoficeand ... index.html

http://www.geocities.com/asoiafcasting/
http://www.geocities.com/asoiafcasting/dorne.html
http://www.geocities.com/asoiafcasting/north.html
http://www.geocities.com/asoiafcasting/stormlands.html
http://www.geocities.com/asoiafcasting/vale.html
http://www.geocities.com/asoiafcasting/ ... nding.html
http://www.geocities.com/asoiafcasting/ironislands.html
http://www.geocities.com/asoiafcasting/ ... inent.html
http://www.geocities.com/asoiafcasting/westerlands.html
http://www.geocities.com/asoiafcasting/thewall.html
http://www.geocities.com/asoiafcasting/riverlands.html
http://www.geocities.com/asoiafcasting/reach.html
http://www.geocities.com/asoiafcasting/noparts.html

These are fan sites where people have their own ideas of who should be cast in the upcoming HBO Series! :) Some are very interesting even though for the most part just wishful thinking!

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:45 am

BTW, there is a theory which says King Renly&Sir Loras were lovers. Confused I mean, that Rainbow Guard thing. Also, I think it was King Stannis who said Renly was always sticking his sword in the wrong sheath. Confused Innuendo there. Very Happy
GRRM confirmed that those two were lovers. But I think that Rainbow Guard, Stannis' comments about Renly, other people's comments about Loras, Renly asking Loras to "pray" with him alone; Renly paying much more attention to Loras than to his hot young wife and so on are enough to make this conclusion :)

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:59 am

I have to say(just my opinion)that of all the families in these books, the Greyjoys are the weirdest. I mean in terms of religion, personality, etc. But, each family has its own unique qualities I noticed. :D
In terms of sorryness, conniving, and potential evil the Lannisters has that trophy. :D The Starks are too good&naive&trusting for their own good, whereas the Freys are dangerous because of their paranoia, and freakish sensitivity. They take everything too damn personal!
The Martells are also quite agressive, and like the Tyrells tend to be fencesitters, and opportunists just waiting to strike. The Tully's are a dying family, and quite wimpish in how they deal with everything.
The Baratheon family is a mixed-up can of nuts, :lol: the 3 brothers being quite different from one another. Renly the fighter, Stannis the religious fanatic, and Robert the womanizer, drunk, and glutton. :D Then the Targaryens are the rightful rulers who have been overthrown and are destined to rule again, supposedly.

IMO, I think the differnces in all these families is one element that makes this series so interesting. I mean, if all the characters were evil, or all good, or all fighters, or scholarly, etc. the tale would not be as fascinating. :) The interaction between all these different personalities helps create the story.

Oh, one more theory which has been proposed&tossed about: Tyrion is actually "the Mad King's" son, in other words, Dany's illegtimate half-brother.
Well, just like a soap opera, anything can be made possible in a book series! :D

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed May 06, 2009 3:41 am

What ASOIAF character are you? A nifty little quiz! :D

http://asoiaf.tripod.com/ctest2.html

I am LITTLEFINGER! :lol: I don't know whether to laugh or cry!!! :lol:

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Wed May 06, 2009 9:01 pm

Ned Stark... what? :?:
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed May 06, 2009 10:49 pm

NeverendingAbyss wrote:Ned Stark... what? :?:
@NA, have you read these books? I recommend them, they are fascinating!

Ned Stark was actually the most moral, good, upright character(IMO)in these books. Unfortunately, he got killed off pretty quickly mainly due to his selfless character.
Ned went through years of humiliation to protect his sister's child, and he was executed after realizing what an oaf his friend King Robert was, and turning against him to do the greater good.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Wed May 06, 2009 11:26 pm

Oh. Cool. I'm selfless :D
Yeah, I gotta start reading.
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sun May 10, 2009 9:46 am

browneyedgirl wrote:

Ned Stark was actually the most moral, good, upright character(IMO)in these books. Unfortunately, he got killed off pretty quickly mainly due to his selfless character.
Ned went through years of humiliation to protect his sister's child, and he was executed after realizing what an oaf his friend King Robert was, and turning against him to do the greater good.
Indeed, he died because he was good, moral and righteous to the point of putting honor before reason. That was what destroyed his entire family, basically ...

That's why I love those books - if a character does something dumb, he pays for it, with his life in most cases.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun May 10, 2009 3:18 pm

Shurik wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:

That's why I love those books - if a character does something dumb, he pays for it, with his life in most cases.
Thats very true! :D

@Shurik, do you visit the Westeros messageboard? There is a section there called "Predictions" and its fun to read what fans think will be the future, or outcome of the characters! :) Also, lots of posting here lately regarding casting of the HBO series---who people think will be the greatest portrayer of a particular character.