The movie you like, but everyone else seems to hate

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
HinatAArcticA
The movie you like, but everyone else seems to hate

Post by HinatAArcticA » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:44 am

To me, would be Star Wars Episode I

It's the worse of the saga, and it's so full of flaws. Jar Jar Binks is the most stupid thing I've ever seen, Darth Maul was useless, the movie contradicts itself many times, Anakin just didn't do it for me but... I liked it. :)

I enjoyed the pod race, the way they presented the republic befoere the empire and the clone wars, all the scenarios, I liked Qui-Gon and I wanted to see his character more developed, but he died. The lightsaber duel was amazing to watch, and even with all it's flaws, I had a great time watching it, and I still enjoy it today.

What's yours? :)

mayhem-for-all

Re: The movie you like, but everyone else seems to hate

Post by mayhem-for-all » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:24 am

Well now that you mentioned it Star Wars episoded 1-3 (I prefer the original saga)

And also the new Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.
I thought it was good. I would definately give it 4 stars or even on the worst possible day at least three.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:44 am

Bacon-butt.

ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ

Post by ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:02 am

Small Gnattbutt

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:09 am

Butt-strutt

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:51 pm

Star Wars is a trilogy. The prequels do not exist.
Matrix has no sequels.

Back to the topic - I love Roland Emerich's disaster movies. 2012 is the best one and cannot be surpassed. I also love Armageddon, Mummy movies including the third one which gets bashed a lot, G.I.Joe movie that came out last year ...
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:48 pm

Delta Farce

I thought the movie was hilarious, but many think it's simply stupid. :lol: Well, with DJ Qualls and Larry, the cable Guy what do you expect! :D

@Shurik, I liked 2012. I thought it was a good movie with terrific special effects. And, I really wanted to punch the Oliver Platt character(Mr. Anheiser) right in the nose! :lol: What an Asshole! :lol:

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:22 pm

Unbreakable. I thought that it was actually a pretty good premise and a great idea for a film, and for all the shit M. Night Shyamalan gets (rightfully) thrown at him, he does know how to make a film look good and has a great sense of composition and pacing. As long as he's not actually involved in the writing process (see: Lady in the Water, THE LAST FUCKING AIRBENDER OH MY GOD JESUS FUCKING CHRIST), I think he's quite a capable director.

I really liked Bruce Willis' performance, and the whole idea about the struggle of good vs. evil throughout mythology was really well thought out and portrayed. I really did like the dark, gritty atmosphere of the movie too.

2012, for all it's outrageous nonsense was pretty engrossing. And I really like John Cusack as a leading man, he's close to the top of my 'underrated actors' list.

Also, I don't know how much this belongs on this list, but as a reasonably hardcore Star Trek fan, I thought the new film was absolutely brilliant... most other Trekkies hated it. I think it gave the franchise the kick in the ass it needed to drag it into the 21st century, and gathering such a young cast together for the first film was an excellent idea. Sure, the Trekkies will complain about the whole timeline being altered and a load of other stuff but come on, beats the hell out of rehashing the same storylines over and over. And the next movie will feature Khan. KHAAAAAAAAN!!!! I cannot fucking wait.

Staying with JJ Abrams, I think Cloverfield was pretty awesome... Godzilla meets Blair Witch Project. Actually pretty damn scary and dramatic, I thought it was really well done but it gets overlooked a lot more than it deserves to be.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:51 pm

see: Lady in the Water, THE LAST FUCKING AIRBENDER OH MY GOD JESUS FUCKING CHRIST
AFAIK, he didn't write The Last Shitbender, so the blame is not entirely his.
He did however write The Happening, the movie that makes Plan 9 From Outer Space make sense in comparison. Seriously, the trees are killing people because the people don't care about the environment or some shit. He surely had some quality hallucinogenic drugs while he was writing this absurd nonsense. You can't make up stuff like this while you sober and in your right mind ...
Do yourself a favor and watch it with Rifftrax commentary:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8PxA6IVdYo

EDIT: Sorry, he did write The Last Shitbender. So yeah, he's to blame for this piece of nonsense too ...

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:35 pm

NeonVomit wrote:Unbreakable. I thought that it was actually a pretty good premise and a great idea for a film, and for all the shit M. Night Shyamalan gets (rightfully) thrown at him, he does know how to make a film look good and has a great sense of composition and pacing.
yeah that movie is amazing , people just doesnt get it...

I loved Scott pilgrim vs the world....seems like just me loved that film. hahah dont care.
A9

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:45 pm

adrian9 wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:Unbreakable. I thought that it was actually a pretty good premise and a great idea for a film, and for all the shit M. Night Shyamalan gets (rightfully) thrown at him, he does know how to make a film look good and has a great sense of composition and pacing.
yeah that movie is amazing , people just doesnt get it...

I loved Scott pilgrim vs the world....seems like just me loved that film. hahah dont care.
I loved Scott Pilgrim too, it's 2 hours of pure awesome! :D

Balu

Post by Balu » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:18 pm

Movies suck. Series >>

warrencurrymetal

Post by warrencurrymetal » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:28 pm

HinatAArcticA wrote:To me, would be Star Wars Episode I

It's the worse of the saga, and it's so full of flaws. Jar Jar Binks is the most stupid thing I've ever seen, Darth Maul was useless, the movie contradicts itself many times, Anakin just didn't do it for me but... I liked it. :)

I enjoyed the pod race, the way they presented the republic befoere the empire and the clone wars, all the scenarios, I liked Qui-Gon and I wanted to see his character more developed, but he died. The lightsaber duel was amazing to watch, and even with all it's flaws, I had a great time watching it, and I still enjoy it today.

What's yours? :)
well put

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:50 pm

star wars I is unbearable. only a massive fan would love that film. of course i understand that is the set up for the other movies, but hell, that shit is boring. I loved Episode III, some fans call it a blasfemy
A9

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:19 pm

Sorry, but I really think that without the legacy of the original trilogy, the prequels would barely pass as average episodes of some b-class scifi tv-show.
John Williams' music is as great as ever and besides the acting, Revenge of the Sith is quite ok, but I would still nominate:

"You are so... beautiful."
"It's only because I'm so in love."
"No, it's because I'm so in love with you."

...as the worst dialogue / line delivery caught on celluloid ever. And that's including the hilariously awful masterturds like Troll 2 and Manos: The Hands of Fate.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:54 pm

Mormegil wrote:Manos: The Hands of Fate.
Anything that was done on MST3K doesn't belong on this list, because it then becomes a work of genius.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Damien Thorn

Omen III: The Final Conflict

Post by Damien Thorn » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:33 am

Well, kind of obvious in my case...

Omen III: The Final Conflict

It was not even the film as such (the plot isn't that solid), but more what it was trying to achieve on a philosophical level. Nobody ever seems to give the director credit for that. Also, the music is easily the best ever created for any film ever made. Jerry Goldsmith is still the greatest.

Of course, the first instalment of the trilogy is the classic, but I have always liked this one too, although I've always felt it could've been a lot better if it had featured a decent plot. A totally irrational preference then, this one, with me liking a film for what it might have been...

Here's a film that's not even out yet, but I know it's going to be number two on my list of films I love and everyone else loathes. It's due out on April 15th. It's the first part of a trilogy based on Ayn Rand's epic novel Atlas Shrugged. By the way, that's the book that Americans quote as the most influential book they've ever read, barring the Bible. Go figure...

... if you would like to understand the global financial crisis, that is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W07bFa4TzM

Ciao,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:46 am

I think I'd like a movie based on Ayn Rand's books. Wasn't The Fountainhead made into a movie decades ago? And, Terry Goodkind based his Sword of Truth book series on Ayn Rand's philosophies. Hence, Legend of the Seeker TV series which had a fan following until the production company went broke.

@Damien, how did you like The Omen remake? I thought it was pretty good. :) Not as good as the original, of course.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:22 am

NeonVomit wrote:
Anything that was done on MST3K doesn't belong on this list, because it then becomes a work of genius.
Even with MST3K-commentary I couldn't finish it with one go. :lol:

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:55 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:I think I'd like a movie based on Ayn Rand's books. Wasn't The Fountainhead made into a movie decades ago? And, Terry Goodkind based his Sword of Truth book series on Ayn Rand's philosophies. Hence, Legend of the Seeker TV series which had a fan following until the production company went broke.

@Damien, how did you like The Omen remake? I thought it was pretty good. :) Not as good as the original, of course.
Yes, The Fountainhead was a film with Cary Grant. I would love to see that other story (Atlas Shrugged) become part of the political debate as well. It is potentially lethal stuff (so proceed with care and sensibility), but it has to become part of our global consciousness - especially now. Did you know that Alan Greenspan was a personal friend of Ayn Rand until they fell out in the late seventies? That kind of explains what has been happening in the USA since 1987 (sub prime crisis and other bubbles through cheap and easy money for the big players). It is imperative that we start seeing how the noble idea that America once was has been corrupted by the collectivist protectionist sentiment of a new oligarchical aristocracy - and a complacent and confused population. I am sure you are aware of the Goldman Sachs - Federal Reserve connection and how the Fed is "independent within government." It is time we blew the lid of this cesspool. Films like this might work as a catalyst to increase the momentum...

Oh, and the remake of The Omen? I thought it was fantastic. They stayed very close to the original, so it was more of a tribute, but I didn't mind at all. It's one of my all-time favourite films. The only thing sorely missed was Jerry Goldsmith's brilliant score, although the composer who created the score for the remake did an excellent job...

Ah well, for old times' sake...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o0AqVWOTuI&feature=fvst

Cheers,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:00 pm

Mormegil wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:
Even with MST3K-commentary I couldn't finish it with one go. :lol:
How can you not love Torgo?
:lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HagbeOoUxxg