Petition to change 'Stay-ee-ay' to 'Staaay'

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.

Should Timo sing "Stayyyyy" instead of "Stay-ee-ay" in Black Diamond from now on?

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 26

AAAAAAAAAA
Petition to change 'Stay-ee-ay' to 'Staaay'

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:01 am

I believe this trivial change to the song "Black Diamond" will catapult Stratovarius to the highest echelons of contemporary music. Madonna and Bieber be damned!

Thank you for your cooperation. :roll:

Incidentally, this song is unique because the music is about a dog and the lyrics are about a Japanese woman. True story!

JensJohansson
Administrator

Re: Petition to change 'Stay-ee-ay' to 'Staaay'

Post by JensJohansson » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:34 pm

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:I believe this trivial change to the song "Black Diamond" will catapult Stratovarius to the highest echelons of contemporary music. Madonna and Bieber be damned!

Incidentally, this song is unique because the music is about a dog and the lyrics are about a Japanese woman. True story!
I voted 'no'. I do not believe we could handle the success. In months' time we would be a group of drug-addled wrecks, sitting seemingly at ease in pools of our own urine picking "away" at imaginary bugs in our skin.

But even though I do have a dog (or bug) in this fight, I'm still interested in the outcome.

[ BTW I should make a "post-count/membership-length-time weighted poll option ", that would be something! ]

Mr cool Edit

Post by Mr cool Edit » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:36 pm

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:I believe this trivial change to the song "Black Diamond" will catapult Stratovarius to the highest echelons of contemporary music. Madonna and Bieber be damned!

"AAAAAAAAAAAAA" boy, what do you say?

Justin bieverga and madonna will play "Black Diamond"?

I want see this, and after i want to tolkki cry what jens and tolkki cry torgether, hugged and with 15L of vodka inside when they listen my covers hahahahahahahah.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:40 pm

Staaayyyyy sounds too dull. That is my truly honest opinion, ol' chap.

Grambambuli

Post by Grambambuli » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:05 pm

Mr cool Edit wrote:

"AAAAAAAAAAAAA" boy, what do you say?

Justin bieverga and madonna will play "Black Diamond"?

I want see this, and after i want to tolkki cry what jens and tolkki cry torgether, hugged and with 15L of vodka inside when they listen my covers hahahahahahahah.
Huh?!

Wayne Arnold

BTW Imagine Barry White singing Find Your Own Voice. Funny :D

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:09 pm

Yeah, i heard that TT had a dog named Black Diamond once.
And, if the women in Infinite Visions are representative of the women in Japan no wonder song was written of them--they were all quite attractive. But, musicians better watch out, I heard somewhere that Japanese women keep diaries..... :wink: :oops: Oh, it was on VH-1 Behind the Music some glam rock group said they hooked up with some Japanese women and when a couple of the ladies took the guys back to their place they drug out diaries of all the bands they had met and known before, complete with pictures and all. :oops: :lol:

So, I vote for no change--keep the stay word as is.
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

HoldenCaulfield

Post by HoldenCaulfield » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:52 pm

drunkengirl wrote: Yeah, i heard that TT had a dog named Black Diamond once.
Dear Stratofans, completely wrong.

Sorry to say, but the name of the dog was Rape. The song is about Rape (the dog).

Greetings from Moreno Valley.

-HC

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:17 pm

HoldenCaulfield wrote: Greetings from Moreno Valley.
-HC
Wow, you're just an hour away from me!

Would you like to meet later tonight for an evening of sultry romance and fish sandwiches? I know a place.

perv

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:25 pm

JensJohansson wrote: I voted 'no'. I do not believe we could handle the success. In months' time we would be a group of drug-addled wrecks, sitting seemingly at ease in pools of our own urine picking "away" at imaginary bugs in our skin.
Then maybe if you guys change the "as you go" in "Deep Unknown" to simply "go", you could end up being assassinated in a presidential motorcade...

be careful!! :nervous:

HoldenCaulfield

Post by HoldenCaulfield » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:36 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
-HC

Would you like to meet later tonight for an evening of sultry romance and fish sandwiches? I know a place.

perv
Dear A10,

Sorry, but I can't stop doing what I'm planning to do.

-HC

thefreeone

Post by thefreeone » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:53 am

HoldenCaulfield wrote:
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
-HC

perv
Dear A10,

Sorry, but I can't stop doing what I'm planning to do.

-HC
Dear A10 and all your family, including Priapus, can you bring the ducks back??????

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:49 am

thefreeone wrote:Dear A10 and all your family, including Priapus, can you bring the ducks back??????
Don't you mean dicks? :?

Ilsekena

Post by Ilsekena » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:41 am

jens and tolkki cry torgether, hugged and with 15L of vodka inside when they listen my covers
Ok...

SentineLEX

Post by SentineLEX » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:54 pm

I think Straterivus should change "Stayeeyay" to "Stayeeyaeeyaeeyaeeyaeeyaee" and the ululation of Kitopol will lift entire audience to heavens

Mr cool Edit

Post by Mr cool Edit » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:45 pm

Ilsekena wrote:
jens and tolkki cry torgether, hugged and with 15L of vodka inside when they listen my covers
Ok...
uuffffff you bite the aple so hot, baby......

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:47 pm

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:Then maybe if you guys change the "as you go" in "Deep Unknown" to simply "go", you could end up being assassinated in a presidential motorcade...

be careful!! :nervous:
Believe me, these kinds of considerations are why writing rock lyrics is such a difficult task. I would be partial to "as we gouououou" but probably it doesn't fit. After I go, I sit in a puddle!

Be careful? I think you mean....
TimoTolkki wrote:careful.

Bathory Killcraft

Post by Bathory Killcraft » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:14 am

Since Kotipelto wrote the lyrics how can this be about Tolkki's dog???

Btw, when Tolkki says Stratovarius play live a lot of "his" songs, well most of them have Kotipelto lyrics he should therefore be banned of playing Stratovarius songs with Kotipelto lyrics live too!

I know there is no copyright when it comes to playing live songs so the whole thing is ridiculous but if he wants to be an ass then it goes both ways.
Black Metal is the game I play cos' no one shows me the right way...

SatanicSmile

Post by SatanicSmile » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:20 am

I thought that the lyrics were about Kotipelto's cat.

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:47 pm

Bathory Killcraft wrote:Since Kotipelto wrote the lyrics how can this be about Tolkki's dog???

Btw, when Tolkki says Stratovarius play live a lot of "his" songs, well most of them have Kotipelto lyrics he should therefore be banned of playing Stratovarius songs with Kotipelto lyrics live too!

I know there is no copyright when it comes to playing live songs so the whole thing is ridiculous but if he wants to be an ass then it goes both ways.
It's not easy to understand any of that shit. Someone copypasted me some of the stuff he has been going off about on his facebook accounts.

There is certainly copyright when playing live, promoters get a list of songs that were played and pay money 'somehow', the details are mysterious to me since i'm not a promoter, i only ever see that list of songs -- but anyway the songwriters then get compensated. Nothing here to bitch about. Nowadays we do about half and half Tolkki-era and Matias-era but it depends.. the old legacy is there forever and the new legacy is here to staaaaaa-eeeeee-aaaaayyy! :lol:

There is copyright when re-recording songs, cover versions, whatnot -- same thing there, the record label pays for it and there is not anything to argue or bitch about.. this also goes for Blackoustic by the way. Timo T already got paid -- and accepted the money -- long ago for that. I don't think the sales of the Blackoustic CD were massive but it's a damned nice little record!

If someone like "MR Cool Edit" makes cover versions and then just gives them away .. there is no legal issues for anyone to bitch about in my opinion.

If i remember TT came up with the title 'Black Diamond' and thus he can certainly assert that he was refering to the family dog, who actually was called Rape (in Finnish not in English).

What I can tell you for sure are the facts as I remember them; Rape was perhaps a little bit feisty, likely to climb into your face to lick it, but basically a good dog! : -) If I try to think back about it, I'm not sure about any Japanese girls, what that is even about, and if they would also lick your face. Hopefully??

I get the impression now if I try to remember, there was Rape the dog involved in the title and perhaps the lyrics can be considered being about a dark haired (or dark) woman. Certainly many Japanese women have dark hair!

I have a feeling that TT is avoiding playing songs live where Timo K wrote lyrics but honestly I am not keeping track that well. I guess if you want to piss him off compliment him on the lyrics of "black diamond", "hunting high and low", say how you can't wait to hear those live, and keep posting that video of the nine year old girl playing "stratofortress".. for some reason that seems to really raise his hackles. :lol: Perhaps it reminds him of something he would rather forget.

Mr cool Edit

Post by Mr cool Edit » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:48 pm

A lot people are asking me in all parts, stratogfans and no stratofans,

"Why you dont put yours cd in store?" including institutions in argentina....

the problem is that the music market is like a dangerous jungle and the administrators is like angry lions.

I covered stratovarius why i like do it, why i practice, why i study sound Works, english, and much more

i got a lot benefits in this, intelectuals ones, and the future is a mystery, maybe someone discover my talent and my life turn other way and i can change my profession.

The technology is great but i need support a lot pression, im the man that listen all the drama, cries and angry times whrn the technology fail and im tired of this.

any way, the first is stratovarius, the next is rhapsody, that im testing my personal choirs, the next is bonjovi, guns n roses, queen, deep purple and pink Floyd, and much more.

until something happens .....

I walk my own song!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JensJohansson wrote:
Bathory Killcraft wrote:Since Kotipelto wrote the lyrics how can this be about Tolkki's dog???

It's not easy to understand any of that shit. Someone copypasted me some of the stuff he has been going off about on his facebook accounts.

There is certainly copyright when playing live, promoters get a list of songs that were played and pay money 'somehow', the details are mysterious to me since i'm not a promoter, i only ever see that list of songs -- but anyway the songwriters then get compensated. Nothing here to bitch about. Nowadays we do about half and half Tolkki-era and Matias-era but it depends.. the old legacy is there forever and the new legacy is here to staaaaaa-eeeeee-aaaaayyy! :lol:

There is copyright when re-recording songs, cover versions, whatnot -- same thing there, the record label pays for it and there is not anything to argue or bitch about.. this also goes for Blackoustic by the way. Timo T already got paid -- and accepted the money -- long ago for that. I don't think the sales of the Blackoustic CD were massive but it's a damned nice little record!

If someone like "MR Cool Edit" makes cover versions and then just gives them away .. there is no legal issues for anyone to bitch about in my opinion.

If i remember TT came up with the title 'Black Diamond' and thus he can certainly assert that he was refering to the family dog, who actually was called Rape (in Finnish not in English).

What I can tell you for sure are the facts as I remember them; Rape was perhaps a little bit feisty, likely to climb into your face to lick it, but basically a good dog! : -) If I try to think back about it, I'm not sure about any Japanese girls, what that is even about, and if they would also lick your face. Hopefully??

I get the impression now if I try to remember, there was Rape the dog involved in the title and perhaps the lyrics can be considered being about a dark haired (or dark) woman. Certainly many Japanese women have dark hair!

I have a feeling that TT is avoiding playing songs live where Timo K wrote lyrics but honestly I am not keeping track that well. I guess if you want to piss him off compliment him on the lyrics of "black diamond", "hunting high and low", say how you can't wait to hear those live, and keep posting that video of the nine year old girl playing "stratofortress".. for some reason that seems to really raise his hackles. :lol: Perhaps it reminds him of something he would rather forget.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:59 pm

:lol: So many "conspiracy theories" abound about the song, "Black Diamond"! It is one of the fan favorites after all!
Kinda like Barry Manilow's "Mandy", and C&W Bobby Goldsboro's, "Honey". Both songs were supposedly about women, but also were said to be about dogs. Well, dogs are mans best friend, so there's bound to be lots of songs about them both figuratively, and in the real sense. :)
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

foerg

Post by foerg » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:03 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz-m4XZepwg

this one is not so doggy style :lol:

foerg

Post by foerg » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:07 pm

JensJohansson wrote:
strange to hear, as kotipelto is one of the legal owners after that waiver of rights... or is copyright law somehow higher than contract law..?

Mr cool Edit

Post by Mr cool Edit » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:54 pm

JensJohansson wrote:

My question is, whats happen if I do a perfect cd tribute and i post it in some web page, public, to sale?? I was censored in a lot parts for covered artists like "europe" this was in sound cloud, with bon jovi too....

maybe the finnish market is more flexible, but really Americans, British, and Germany market are one mother Fuckers about this. I tell you for experience

And I cant face it my stuff why im very anti-comercial, its sad

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:41 am

foerg wrote:strange to hear, as kotipelto is one of the legal owners after that waiver of rights... or is copyright law somehow higher than contract law..?
Owner of the name, yes.

Owner of the "record royalties" (or "performer's royalties"), yes.

Owner of the writer's royalties, no.

TT is not stupid and he formulated the text of his waiver exactly like he did for a reason. It's a legal document according to Finnish law (satisfies all the conditions: in writing, signed, person is not under custodianship etc) and it is a gift of exactly this: a) any rights TT had in the band name and b) any rights TT had in the record royalties. The gift is very precisely defined.

This part b) is not as generous as you might think, but that he chose to cut off any way for himself to contest the a) part has been very useful for us obviously; for peace of mind going about the business of making good music and getting the fans' trust back. In light of how everything went down it was the right thing to do. I wouldn't feel good about taking his writer's royalties anyway!! And the plan was always to start paying him his share regarding b) above once he had undone what he did economically, but it turns out that he caused so much damage that at the current rate that we earn back catalog royalties, he would be even again in like 40 years or whatever it was. A long time, anyway.

Even if he changes his mind more often than he changes his underwear it doesn't affect the validity of a written document.

If you really care .... I'm too lazy to get into the details and besides it would put everyone to sleep including me.

I did some quick googling, it's probably explained pretty OK here: http://www.venturenavigator.co.uk/content/499

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:42 am

Mr cool Edit wrote:I covered stratovarius why i like do it, why i practice, why i study sound Works, english, and much more

i got a lot benefits in this, intelectuals ones, and the future is a mystery, maybe someone discover my talent and my life turn other way and i can change my profession.
This is a very good way to learn how things work: pick them apart and put them together again. Wether it's music, or watches, or software, or whatever.

If nothing else by posting stuff in public you will learn how to handle criticism well :-)

People have told me that I suck sometimes. Or that I don't know what I'm doing, or other negative things. It's how life is ....

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:44 am

Mr cool Edit wrote:My question is, whats happen if I do a perfect cd tribute and i post it in some web page, public, to sale?? I was censored in a lot parts for covered artists like "europe" this was in sound cloud, with bon jovi too....

maybe the finnish market is more flexible, but really Americans, British, and Germany market are one mother Fuckers about this. I tell you for experience

And I cant face it my stuff why im very anti-comercial, its sad
Well, if you really do sell copies, the totally correct thing to do would be to pay writer's royalties to the songwriters.. it comes to about one euro per record so it's actually not such a big deal or very unreasonable. You could still make quite a profit!

Also -- it makes it a bit difficult for any of the composers to whine about anything..... including whining like little bitches a year later about it being "a radically different" version or whatever. :lol:

WÄÄÄÄÄ COPYRIGHT INFRIDGEMENT!!! Infridgement is not cool. Or, wait a minute..

Soundcloud and other cloud based services (like youtube) have automated copyright takedown systems (as you discovered). It becomes comical when artists are blocked by these, from uploading stuff that they are the actual owner of. This apparently happened to Viv Lalu lately and it has actually also happened to me if I remember. But of course there are other parts of the internet where there are no such takedown systems, it's still a free world (for now).

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:48 am

JensJohansson wrote:And the plan was always to start paying him his share regarding b) above once he had undone what he did economically, but it turns out that he caused so much damage that at the current rate that we earn back catalog royalties, he would be even again in like 40 years or whatever it was. A long time, anyway.
Anyway I think i wrote about this before here, it's still in the archive if someone really cares .. for me it's really water under the bridge and I don't care any more. I'm proud of what we did then, it just ended in a weird way. And I'm proud of what we are doing now.

Mr cool Edit

Post by Mr cool Edit » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:24 am

JensJohansson wrote:
Mr cool Edit wrote:I covered stratovarius why i like do it, why i practice, why i study sound Works, english, and much more

This is a very good way to learn how things work: pick them apart and put them together again. Wether it's music, or watches, or software, or whatever.

If nothing else by posting stuff in public you will learn how to handle criticism well :-)

People have told me that I suck sometimes. Or that I don't know what I'm doing, or other negative things. It's how life is ....
yes, i upset mad when the people compared me with kotipelto, i cant image this really. the comparisions are negative stuff.

in other way, the crazy people compared to julian lennon with John lennon and julian lennon career end for this.... worldride speaking....

but anyway, nothing do a positive critic without compare.

if one time in the life, Stratovarius do a rhapsody cover, stratovarius will be compared with Original Rhapsy and in reverse, I hate this, why the musicians are unique and have his personal feeling.

About that you are sucks..... man, seriously....

covering stratovarius i see your compositions in keyboars and is impressive, the most impressive ios that you dont need move fast your fingers, the chords conjugation is fantastic and very pasional in sound!

Im the those guy that I dont care is one musician is extreme faster or not!, for me , one guitarrist like David Guilmour is one of the guitar gods, and the man put 1 finger in 2 hours interval! hahahaha

i see the Rhapsody of Fire composition now.....

The key man, is good but he is more arranged with the keyboard and relies heavily on turrilli luca. or is in this special siong that im working.

Luca turrili is one insane guitarrist....

i back about the critics....

If you tell me, try to do better this.....

I invite you with a beer and listen you

If you come directly "You are a shit, you need die"

I upset mad... and with reason, only one insane person dont have any reaction against insult, jens.

this is my point.

One thing more:

and for all stratofans, Unbreakeable looks single, compared with other stratosongs, but really is a pain why have isnt the clasic song with permanent chord like exist in other songs.......

Bathory Killcraft

Post by Bathory Killcraft » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:54 am

JensJohansson wrote:
JensJohansson wrote:And the plan was always to start paying him his share regarding b) above once he had undone what he did economically, but it turns out that he caused so much damage that at the current rate that we earn back catalog royalties, he would be even again in like 40 years or whatever it was. A long time, anyway.
Anyway I think i wrote about this before here, it's still in the archive if someone really cares .. for me it's really water under the bridge and I don't care any more. I'm proud of what we did then, it just ended in a weird way. And I'm proud of what we are doing now.
Yes, things look quiet at his page as well lately. So let's just leave it there. I hope he does the same too.

I know he'll keep bugging you but I understand he can't do much more than just threat or post silly statements which I hope everyone (including me) start to totally ignore from now on.

As far as most fans is concerned I believe Stratovarius is Stratovarius and TT's projects are TT's projects. And that's it.

Having said that, I wish he does well too, writes some good music with some financial success and finds himself in a healthy situation again (to the extend that this is possible anyway).
Black Metal is the game I play cos' no one shows me the right way...