Jens solo - 2013 Tour

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
dalpozlead
Jens solo - 2013 Tour

Post by dalpozlead » Sun May 26, 2013 2:45 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7YjU4Qf ... GW458xVDiA

Amazing playing, and he added a AKAI MPK mini on top of the DX7.

Don`t know exactly how he is changing chords, if its sequenced or controlled by foot using the Akai…

Hey Jens -  if you are reading this..., can you please detail how this new setup works?

Tks!

crostrato

Re: Jens solo - 2013 Tour

Post by crostrato » Sun May 26, 2013 5:19 pm

dalpozlead wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7YjU4Qf ... GW458xVDiA

Amazing playing, and he added a AKAI MPK mini on top of the DX7.

Don`t know exactly how he is changing chords, if its sequenced or controlled by foot using the Akai…

Hey Jens -  if you are reading this..., can you please detail how this new setup works?

Tks!
This improvisation is awsome, thank you soo much for uploading it on yt!!!

tpocain

Post by tpocain » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:00 pm

dalpozlead wrote:Amazing playing, and he added a AKAI MPK mini on top of the DX7.
Oh, THAT'S what that little mini-keyboard sitting on there is! Cool! I like Akais... :)
Tams

doc_holliday

Post by doc_holliday » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:18 pm

I love how Matias played a few notes on Jen's piano lol

tpocain

Post by tpocain » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:30 pm

doc_holliday wrote:I love how Matias played a few notes on Jen's piano lol
Oh I know, right?! :lol: I was laughing like hell at that--and then, of course, HE starts laughin' HIS ass off...I love how they have so much fun together! :D
Tams

Aleytons

Post by Aleytons » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:06 pm

Probably Jens is using the MPK's arpeggiator since the JV1080 don't have one.

But I don't understand how the MPK can connect to the JV1080 or the DX7 if the MPK don't have a MIDI connector (only a USB)

Arnold Layne

Post by Arnold Layne » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:25 pm

HUH!

Arnold Layne

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:46 pm

dalpozlead wrote:Don`t know exactly how he is changing chords, if its sequenced or controlled by foot using the Akai…

Tks!
Foot. "It's complicated" but there is a laptop and eventually I will move the whole sound generation crap to the laptop. This first half year has been more or less a stability test, to probe the weak points of this type of setup.

* Win7 laptop ("commodity".... )

* just some interfaces i had lying around and could spare (edirol, midiman 2x2)

* a custom made disaster recovery switch box (uses relays and an old midi octopus)

* a roland JV-1010

* the normal Morley JD-10 (haven't been at all successful in replicating my normal jsonp6sim98 in software)

* bidule (running "discrete" version) controlling everything

* with various VSTi:s and VST effects loaded

* the sustain pedal foot controlled chords are generated by a custom jesusonic ReaJS plug (which I very creatively named "chordstep")

dalpozlead

Post by dalpozlead » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:10 pm

Tks Jens!, so if I understood correctly: no more JV-1080 generating the lead tone? The lead waveform is coming from the VST?
Are you using the JV-1010 for the orchestral patches?
Honored to have your inputs about gear man!
Regards.

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:16 pm

dalpozlead wrote:Tks Jens!, so if I understood correctly: no more JV-1080 generating the lead tone? The lead waveform is coming from the VST?
Are you using the JV-1010 for the orchestral patches?
Honored to have your inputs about gear man!
Regards.
Lead sound from 1010 still. Making small advances at virtualization of that (but truly small)

1010 for "legacy' stratovarius patches, would be a good word to use : -)

I'm actually running the 1010 thru a compression plug on the computer, this way I will immediately know when something goes wrong.. :lol:

The relay failsafe system was the most tricky and hands on part, but this is something I knew would be necessary given the complexity of this "test rig". In case the computer audio craps out I can still fall back on the unprocessed sound from the 1010. In case the computer MIDI craps out -- same thing. There is a third relay group, which deals with switching the JD10 in or out (1010 only has a stereo out unlike a 1080 where you have 6 outs and can simply map which sounds are distorted and store this with the patch/performance )

I did learn one thing about USB connections -- hot glue is your friend .

Actually when i think about it, this is true for any kind of connector.

dalpozlead

Post by dalpozlead » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:40 pm

Wow, didn`t thought that a 1010 could produce the same waveform (synth reed) and parameters as a 1080.
Here in my home studio (I`m an engineer with 2 hours /month free to play at home :-) I`m using a 1080 with a BigMuff + Boss Chorus, (my JD-10 simply cannot act accurate as yours, as hard as I`ve tried to program the waveform to behave with it – the combination doesn`t sound as good as with the bigmuff).
I`ve always thought what should be your “final solution” to re-patch your lead sound when the vintage gears won`t be available
:)

Aleytons

Post by Aleytons » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:18 pm

Greetings Jens!

JensJohansson wrote:
Foot. "It's complicated" but there is a laptop and eventually I will move the whole sound generation crap to the laptop. This first half year has been more or less a stability test, to probe the weak points of this type of setup.

* Win7 laptop ("commodity".... )

A dedicated laptop for the whole sound generation? I wouldn't feel comfortable using a computer live onstage (at least not my old laptop :P ) murphy's law!

Why a JV1010? the 1080 is getting too big for gigs?

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:52 am

Aleytons wrote:Greetings Jens!

A dedicated laptop for the whole sound generation? I wouldn't feel comfortable using a computer live onstage (at least not my old laptop :P ) murphy's law!

Why a JV1010? the 1080 is getting too big for gigs?
You'll see... I'll get it working. That's the whole point in working this year with a laptop rig + a crude safety net (the relay/1010 fallback system). Once I know what's reliable and what's not reliable I can make better choices.

I already did one gig without the 1010 (thanks a fucking lot, Air Berlin) :lol:

The 1010 is half of a 1U rack space.. this was more an aesthetic thing. I fit all the logic stuff including home made line boxes into 1U and I have a 1U drawer for the computer. This is in a 4U rack (the 2U free space is so you can fit junk like pedals and cables .... whiskey... yummy Greek olives in a container with more than 100ml liquid... that sort of stuff)

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:54 am

dalpozlead wrote:Wow, didn`t thought that a 1010 could produce the same waveform (synth reed) and parameters as a 1080. Here in my home studio (I`m an engineer with 2 hours /month free to play at home :-) I`m using a 1080 with a BigMuff + Boss Chorus, (my JD-10 simply cannot act accurate as yours, as hard as I`ve tried to program the waveform to behave with it – the combination doesn`t sound as good as with the bigmuff).
I`ve always thought what should be your “final solution” to re-patch your lead sound when the vintage gears won`t be available :)
It's all individual what you think is good of course!

For me it's a giant trial and error process. Mostly error but that part happens quietly.

The 1010 is pretty much identical to the 1080 except for the output routing stuff. The 2080 is much more different sounding from the 1010/1080 line, even though it's supposedly identical as well. But no huge differences, subtle edge case differences.

dalpozlead

Post by dalpozlead » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:48 pm

JensJohansson wrote: It's all individual what you think is good of course!

For me it's a giant trial and error process. Mostly error but that part happens quietly.
I haven’t been able to test it with other dist. boxes or trying it with other FX. Particularly for me, my emulation of your lead signature sound is very influenced by the distortion box, so maybe I can reach a more accurate patch trying other boxes…, the Morley was hard to find here in Brazil. :wink:
Other than that I`m always trying to improve the keyboard tracking and other parameters from the 1080 wave generation...
Can’t wait to hear more about the “virtual” rig Jens! It`s amazing to get this kind of feedback from you!
:)

Aleytons

Post by Aleytons » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:41 pm

By the way, with that distortion software have been experimenting? Most VST apply only clipping to the signal, forgetting pre and post tone shaping.

Jens, have you try IK multimedia's Amplitube? I have good results using it with a guitar, never try it with a synth.

Samovarius

Post by Samovarius » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:35 pm

Win7? Really, man? Jens, you have to be the only one top professional musician, who doesn´t use Apple! No, it doesn´t really matter, you´re still my hero. For two years, when i have been the owner of iPad2, i really don´t need anything else in the gigs, but the keyboard controller and iPad.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:49 pm

Samovarius wrote:Jens, you have to be the only one top professional musician, who doesn´t use Apple!
Good.

Ilsekena

Post by Ilsekena » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:35 pm

Samovarius wrote:Win7? Really, man? Jens, you have to be the only one top professional musician, who doesn´t use Apple! No, it doesn´t really matter,you´re still my hero. For two years, when i have been the owner of iPad2, i really don´t need anything else in the gigs, but the keyboard controller and iPad.
:x :pissed2: :x :pissed2:

Don't you dare discriminate against Windows in such a way way!!!

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:51 pm

Samovarius wrote:Win7? Really, man? Jens, you have to be the only one top professional musician, who doesn´t use Apple!
Mhh mhh.. perhaps I just think different. :lol:

Seriously, Bidule has a mega stable apple version too. If you're into that sort of masochistic submission.

Cheers from Hellsinki .. rehearsed today, band is still smoking after a few weeks off.

Arnold Layne

Post by Arnold Layne » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:32 am

JensJohansson wrote: band is still smoking after a few weeks off.
Smoking what?

Arnold Layne

Mr cool Edit

Post by Mr cool Edit » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:30 am

Arnold Layne wrote:
Smoking what?

Arnold Layne
he smoke cigars or pipe or his keyboard and you a long fat pork sausage, fatty nigga

Mr cool Edit

Post by Mr cool Edit » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:39 am

pro musicians use apple why is very stable and solid, can image if in a show, windows jump with his fucking blue screen?. for this, windows lose against aple, in hardware speaking is the same shit, if i wish, i take my pc, i instal the aple s.o. the i got a mac.

anyway, mac take your virginity with prices only for the s.o and the name *aple*

my phone no help a lot. in txt

Samovarius

Post by Samovarius » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:02 am

Calm down! For heaven's sake, calm down! I don't want to start third world war between mac and win users! Btw, Jens, there's not so much hammond sounds with Stratovarius. You don't like it or it just doesn't fit to strato? Your opinion? I really love that distorted hammond in elysium album, it warms my cold heart...

Arnold Layne

Post by Arnold Layne » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:07 am

Mr cool Edit wrote:
Arnold Layne wrote:
Smoking what?

Arnold Layne
he smoke cigars or pipe or his keyboard and you a long fat pork sausage, fatty nigga
At least I don't smoke a horse penis, you inbred sister dating mongrel. :x

Capiche?? :x

Arnold Layne

88speedkeys

Post by 88speedkeys » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:07 pm

Interesting topic! Regarding the use of laptops.. something I have considered for years but never dared to experiment with in live situations... how come something like the muse receptor has not been mentioned yet? They seemed to be popular at some point, but I never was able to experiment with one. As far as VST's go, it seems like a nice option.

I'm also curious Jens, have you never been offered some sort of endorsement for intersting gear?
Just curious...
I am who I am...

Aleytons

Post by Aleytons » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:15 pm

88speedkeys wrote:Interesting topic! Regarding the

I'm also curious Jens, have you never been offered some sort of endorsement for intersting gear?
Just curious...
Yeah, I ask the same question. Any company would make a lot of money endorsing Jens