Sonata Arctica - The Ninth Hour

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Empathica1928
Re: Sonata Arctica - The Ninth Hour

Post by Empathica1928 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:17 pm

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
HinatAArcticA wrote:
NeverendingAbyss wrote:SA is just not the same without Jani.

Cain's Offering delivers what's missing from SA. Wish it can become a permanent band with a dedicated singer.
I mean, Cain's Offering is more Stratovarius II than anything else these days. Has as many original members (From the Visions lineup) as Strato and has Kotipelto helping with the compositions and Matias mixing. Doesn't even sound close to Reckoning Night or Winterheart's Guild anymore.

I'd argue the real issue was when they stopped having Mikko Karmila as the engineer for their records. Passi's mixing sounds almost as dull and lifeless as RR's Trinity.
I've never understood why Jani and Timo play so many acoustic shows. It sounds good but there is only so much you can do with one acoustic guitar.

Is it just something they do to make ends meet?
To me, it sounds like for them it's just a fun thing to do with a friend. They seem to always have fun doing it..

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:42 pm

Empathica1928 wrote:
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
HinatAArcticA wrote:

Cain's Offering delivers what's missing from SA. Wish it can become a permanent band with a dedicated singer.
I mean, Cain's Offering is more Stratovarius II than anything else these days. Has as many original members (From the Visions lineup) as Strato and has Kotipelto helping with the compositions and Matias mixing. Doesn't even sound close to Reckoning Night or Winterheart's Guild anymore.

I'd argue the real issue was when they stopped having Mikko Karmila as the engineer for their records. Passi's mixing sounds almost as dull and lifeless as RR's Trinity.
I've never understood why Jani and Timo play so many acoustic shows. It sounds good but there is only so much you can do with one acoustic guitar.

Is it just something they do to make ends meet?
To me, it sounds like for them it's just a fun thing to do with a friend. They seem to
always have fun doing it..
But having that much fun with friends comes at the expense of other fun things. I'd much rather have another Kotipelto solo album than hear another lame cover of "out in the fields" with Jani's out of tune backing vocals.

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:37 am

Oh man, I could do without another Kotipelto solo album. They're so average or just bad :lol:

SentineLEX

Post by SentineLEX » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:16 pm

HinatAArcticA wrote:

I'd disagree with you on that last one. Trinity's mixing really brought out the crunch of Timo's guitar and its solos. It did make the whole thing sound like there wasn't actually a keyboarder on the album though...

Pasi is terrible at mixing though, with that I can agree. On Pariah's Child it was still enjoyable, with the Ninth Hour it hurts to listen to.

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:07 am

SentineLEX wrote:
HinatAArcticA wrote:

I'd disagree with you on that last one. Trinity's mixing really brought out the crunch of Timo's guitar and its solos. It did make the whole thing sound like there wasn't actually a keyboarder on the album though...

Pasi is terrible at mixing though, with that I can agree. On Pariah's Child it was still enjoyable, with the Ninth Hour it hurts to listen to.
Trinity's mix is one of the most dry and lifeless mixes I've ever heard for a metal record. It's like it's playing inside a carboard box. It's almost midi-like in some instances, with the drums over-compressed and specially when I compare it to some of Mikko Karmila's best work with both Strato and Sonata, it's just awful. The only album (close to this conversation) that I think is worse is Ecliptica 2014... I still can't get over that one.
No need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray...
Tony Kakko