Fright Night

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Southern_Cross
Fright Night

Post by Southern_Cross » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:30 am

I never listened to the album before, because I didn't start listening to Stratovarius until around...Nemesis release, I think... anyways, now that I'm listening to it all the way through, I actually kind of like it??

SentineLEX

Re: Fright Night

Post by SentineLEX » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:13 am

Southern_Cross wrote:I never listened to the album before, because I didn't start listening to Stratovarius until around...Nemesis release, I think... anyways, now that I'm listening to it all the way through, I actually kind of like it??
It's alright. I'd give it a 7 out of 10. Still my least favorite and I probably have a few complaints against some of the songs that you can still find on this forum under that one post where I reviewed every song.

Future Shock 96 > Future Shock 89, agree or no?

Southern_Cross

Post by Southern_Cross » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:07 pm

SentineLEX wrote:
Southern_Cross wrote:I never listened to the album before, because I didn't start listening to Stratovarius until around...Nemesis release, I think... anyways, now that I'm listening to it all the way through, I actually kind of like it??
It's alright. I'd give it a 7 out of 10. Still my least favorite and I probably have a few complaints against some of the songs that you can still find on this forum under that one post where I reviewed every song.

Future Shock 96 > Future Shock 89, agree or no?
Oh totally agree. Future Shock 89 is one of the worst songs on Fright Night, in my opinion. There’s some songs where Tolkki’s singing sounds better but that one just made it sound like he was really struggling.

Carn

Post by Carn » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:22 pm

It's pretty sad to admit but even after listening to Fright Night about 6 or 7 times (I generally need 2 listens), I can't seem to remember how the songs go, except Future Shock thanks to the 96 version and then I just remember the "fright night" sung in the title song. Ofc if I start listening to it I remember the songs a bit but not, let's say, at the moment.
But in the end I find it cool to hear the tremendous evolution from album 1 to 4 and then steadily getting more technical and each album having its particularities after that.
Maybe we don't exists and it's only raining outisde

Southern_Cross

Post by Southern_Cross » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:29 am

Carn wrote:It's pretty sad to admit but even after listening to Fright Night about 6 or 7 times (I generally need 2 listens), I can't seem to remember how the songs go, except Future Shock thanks to the 96 version and then I just remember the "fright night" sung in the title song. Ofc if I start listening to it I remember the songs a bit but not, let's say, at the moment.
But in the end I find it cool to hear the tremendous evolution from album 1 to 4 and then steadily getting more technical and each album having its particularities after that.
Their growth is so tremendous as a band since Fright Night. I agree though, I don't remember anything specific besides Future Shock for the same reasons. I remember liking Fire Dancer a bit; it was a decent instrumental.

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:20 am

It's a horrible album, but I still cherish it as the origin of Stratovarius. Other than Tolkki, it has zero relevance to the band's legacy.

Southern_Cross

Post by Southern_Cross » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:50 am

Empathica1928 wrote:It's a horrible album, but I still cherish it as the origin of Stratovarius. Other than Tolkki, it has zero relevance to the band's legacy.
Which is worse: Fright Night or the self titled Stratovarius album?
-Southern_Cross

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:04 pm

Southern_Cross wrote:
Empathica1928 wrote:It's a horrible album, but I still cherish it as the origin of Stratovarius. Other than Tolkki, it has zero relevance to the band's legacy.
Now listen here...

Southern_Cross

Post by Southern_Cross » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:12 am

NeverendingAbyss wrote:
Southern_Cross wrote:
Now listen here...
?
-Southern_Cross

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:40 am

Southern_Cross wrote:
Fright Night, no contest. The self-titled gets a lot of hate, and even the band doesn't like it, but I really like most of the songs on it. They're different, but not horrible. Although United is pretty facepalm-worthy with how dishonest it sounds given the tensions within the band (or maybe not even dishonest - hopeful, but it just never worked out? who knows).

Fright Night just... sucks.

SentineLEX

Post by SentineLEX » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:47 am

Southern_Cross wrote:
Leave the Tribe is one of the most underrated Stratovarius songs.

Also really missed out by not performing Land of Ice and Snow around Finland's 100th

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:34 am

Leave the Tribe fucking rocks. So does Fight!!! - powerful Stratovarius chorus, just a really energetic tune.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:29 pm

Southern_Cross wrote:
to me the Self title is worse, I very rarely listen to that album.
why I like about Fright Night is the songs are very long, almost kind of prog.
my favorite is Witch Hunt, Darkness is also very good.

When the daaaarkness, eeeeenntersss iiiiinnnnnttttoo yourrrr roooooooomm
A9

lucaf9397

Post by lucaf9397 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:35 pm

Southern_Cross wrote: I actually kind of like it??
It is nice and interesting album and IMO important piece of Stratovarius' history. Of course next albums showed rapid progression, but I wouldn't call Fright Night a bad one. Maybe the sounds were bit old'ish.

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:57 am

Fright Night is a weird listen, but worth it I feel. I like Tolkki's voice for the more _thrashy-heavy metal_ sound the album.

I like Future Shock, False Mesiah, Black Night and Goodbye personally.

Just dont't expect anything near the modern Kupiainen-era sound or even the Visions style. It's a very different kind of music.

:)
No need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray...
Tony Kakko