Enigma: Intermission Pt.2 opinions

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Pancio
Enigma: Intermission Pt.2 opinions

Post by Pancio » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:33 pm

As object, your opinions about the new album are welcomed.

I'll start this thread saying that I like the three new songs, Burn me Down rythm part in particular since I can clearly hear Symphony Xish influences in it.
I like the orchestral stuff too except for Fantasy, which it's ruined by the intrusive "drums" and, for me, could have gained a lot using the sole orchestra.
Anyway I really love Shine in the Dark and Winter Skies, the first one give me goosebump during the lifting lyrics part and, tho it's a happy song, give some kind of sad vibes too, maybe old feelings and stuff like that.
About the bonus track nothing to say, the album lacks of "Endless Forest" but I really like all the tracks, tho I've already listened tons of times to them and already purchased them in japanese edition, vinyl and other "not ordinary" material.

I'll give the album a 7/10 ratings only because I want so bad a new full length and the new stuff is limited to three songs only.

Let me know your thoughs.

P.s.: I've ordered the vinyl too and I hope to take a copy of the 10" vinyl on tour, here in Milan

Texidor

Re: Enigma: Intermission Pt.2 opinions

Post by Texidor » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:55 pm

Welp Enigma: Intermission Part II it out! Since most of us in someway or the other have gotten the rare or bonus tracks on this album...I will of course start with the 3 new songs. All of which are strong in their own right.

Enigma- Definitely my favorite out of the three, this song is perfection. There is a particular groove in this track that is very addicting. Its definitely more of the modern Strato style but from the first harmonic guitar to the end...I love this track!

Burn Me Down- Again a modern sounding take on the classic sound, this songs chorus as an "ear-worm" quality to it. My only con with this songs is, it could've been served by having a longer solo section. Still a great track!

Oblivion- my least favorite of the three, and that does not say to mean it sucks in anyway. This song is haunting and poetic, with another memorable chorus.

Overall this album is a great "intermission", and makes me look forward to the new album in 2019. I see this band moving further away from their neo-classical roots, but as long as they melding them with melodies (Like on the the title track), I am sure fans old and new love it.

Enjoy and Stay Strato friends!
SHINE ON!

Southern_Cross

Post by Southern_Cross » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:15 am

I like the album, I think it'll hold me over until their next release. I'd only heard about half of the bonus tracks before so lots of this was new material. Hallowed, Castaway, Fireborn and Kill It With Fire are some favs. I wasn't crazy about Second Sight but I think that's the only song I have any qualms with.

In regards to the new material, I like all 3. Enigma is my favorite. I think Oblivion could have a longer solo.

In regards to the orchestral songs, I like all of them a lot! Fantasy and Winter Skies are my favorites. I think the orchestral sound of Fantasy still upholds the lively sound the original had. It definitely sounds like a Lauri song imo.
-Southern_Cross

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:00 pm

Music notwithstanding, I find there is something very troubling about the art work used on this release. On the background, behind what appears to be an exagerated and stylized benitoite structure, they have deliberately chosen to represent only three gas/ice giants and what appears to be an unidentified type Sb galaxy with an angularly very messy outer spiral structure, leaving behind other representative celestial structures that we humans are accustomed to. Not even a small hint of terrestrial bodies or satellites. What sort of conclusion or message are we expected to derive from this conceptual voyage at the outer portions of our solar system ??? ???

Now, the front fish are also unsettling but I´m not versed enough to speak about scales and fins and fluoresence and beniotite consumption by sea creatures. If there was someone here to help us clear up the subliminals to be able to focus just on the music it would be most welcomed. :?
---...---

valo_666

Post by valo_666 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:47 am

I miss Tolkki’s Stratovarius. Al these songs are ok but they dont hold the Stratovarius essence al all. Maybe I am being nostalgic but anyway.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:45 pm

valo_666 wrote:I miss Tolkki’s Stratovarius. Al these songs are ok but they dont hold the Stratovarius essence al all. Maybe I am being nostalgic but anyway.
The new Strato is powerful, loud, and dark. It is a commodity to the modern power metal. I am enchanted to listen to these tracks as I feel the message within their melodies in my ear. They can be quite catchy.

Tolkki's Strato is soft, peaceful, but it is more memorable than modern Strato. The tunes were scripted in fine detail, and the lyrical ingenuity spoke to the ear and heart of the listener.

I still welcome the new Stratovarius. The new tracks are worthy to be the remnants of the former band. For all we know, the new project could have gone terribly wrong.

SentineLEX

Post by SentineLEX » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:18 am

NeverendingAbyss wrote:
valo_666 wrote:I miss Tolkki’s Stratovarius. Al these songs are ok but they dont hold the Stratovarius essence al all. Maybe I am being nostalgic but anyway.
The new Strato is powerful, loud, and dark. It is a commodity to the modern power metal. I am enchanted to listen to these tracks as I feel the message within their melodies in my ear. They can be quite catchy.

Tolkki's Strato is soft, peaceful, but it is more memorable than modern Strato. The tunes were scripted in fine detail, and the lyrical ingenuity spoke to the ear and heart of the listener.

I still welcome the new Stratovarius. The new tracks are worthy to be the remnants of the former band. For all we know, the new project could have gone terribly wrong.
Sometime in the early to mid 90s Tolkki figured out he was very, very good at doing one thing and he proceeded to do that thing over and over, while taking a few experimental steps to each side. The experimentation slowly came to a close although he tried to bring it back with RR. But in the process he gave us all the classic Strato songs we know and love.

I don't think any of the 4 guys (not counting Pilve) is by himself as compelling a composer as Tolkki was. But together they manage to fill in all their weaknesses and make a solid band. Jens is probably closest to the classic sound but is more poppy and, being a keyboarder, keeps all the interesting stuff in the keys. Lauri has a lot of ideas and if you took one hour of his songs and put them together in a single album, it would be more diverse than any actual Stratovarius album. But it would be very inconsistent, and some of his experiments don't work. Which ones? Depends on who you ask. If you ask me, it's either Falling Star or When Mountains Fall. But Fantasy seems to be a fan favorite so I guess that one does. Kotipelto also writes the same song over and over (Timo Tolkki actually complained about this a while back), but now that he's figured that out he usually restricts himself to his strength - good lyrics. Or gets help from Matias and Jani. And Matias definitely has a darker, proggier approach to his songs compared to TT, which on one hand is nice and fresh but on the other hand you're right, it's not quite as memorable as his predecessor.

I would disagree with you on Timo Tolkki's lyrical ingenuity though. I understand the occasional miss in grammar/themes here and there. I'd probably have a hard time writing good song lyrics in Finnish. But when we're talking on the level of
It struck me like a million lightnings
and here I am telling to you
Every second of day it is coming your way
Future unknown is here to stay
Got to open your mind
Or you will be led to astray
And you've been writing song lyrics for 10 years, it's time to let the other Timo take a more proactive role in writing the lyrics. Or call up the guy who helped with the lyrics for Father Time.

oslamph16

Post by oslamph16 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:56 pm

The Nemesis sound is back again. I didn't like the mix Eternal had because the vocals felt too off, too low (I even heard the chours higher than the main Kotipelto's vocals). Enigma, on the other hand, seems to have fixed this problem, and I feel it more powerful.
Likely or not it's a dream that we keep and odds with our senses we'll climb. But if faith it's the answer then we've already reached it, and if spirit's a sign, then it's Only a Matter of Time.

oslamph16

Post by oslamph16 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:04 pm

And what's even better is that we finally have a digital version of Hallowed and Last Shore. The instrumental part that fades out at the end of Last Shore is one of my favourites on the New Era and with this quality you can appreciate even more the backing vocals while Kupiainen delivers that solo.
Likely or not it's a dream that we keep and odds with our senses we'll climb. But if faith it's the answer then we've already reached it, and if spirit's a sign, then it's Only a Matter of Time.

SentineLEX

Post by SentineLEX » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:21 am

Finally listened to the whole thing through a few times. Here's some takes in no particular order:

1. This album has Lauri Porra's name all over it. I don't know if song credits for the new songs have been released. I'm guessing Jens did Burn Me Down and I'm positive Lauri wrote Oblivion; the jury's still out on Enigma. But of the 13 existing tracks on this record, 6 of them are Porra's: Hallowed, Last Shore, Fireborn, Castaway, Old Man and the Sea, and Fantasy. No previous album had so much compositional involvement from the bassist and it creates a specific sort of atmosphere having all those songs on there. Very cool.

2. On the subject of Porra's songs, I'm glad they're all here. My usual MO is to buy the vanilla album and pirate all the extras, but because they're vinyl tracks, I've had Hallowed and Last Shore in shitty quality and Old Man and the Sea way quieter than the rest of the Nemesis album. So now I got them in good quality and Strato gets some more of my money. Everyone wins.

3. Well all except one. The original Intermission had that song that Strato used to open shows with in the 90's. Requiem. So where the hell can I get the new opening in good quality? Intermission Part 3? Bonus track to the album full of bonus tracks?

4. Also Endless Forest.

5. The new songs are really nice. Burn Me Down is definitely my favorite of the 3. It's very Nemesis-like. And just like Nemesis I'm mad that there aren't any fast moments (except maybe Fireborn). Those drums in the chorus are begging to be doubled. Enigma is still an enigma at this point, but overall a net positive. Oblivion is very atmospheric, but it sounds like someone who isn't Timo Kotipelto should be singing it. And one of the biggest net positives of post-Tolkki Strato is that it's fun to play the "who wrote this song" game. Still waiting on the answer key.

6. I was a bit disappointed because I was expecting something different with the orchestral tracks. I was thinking something like this would be on the album, but between the orchestral flair, very prominent acoustic guitar, and light but by no means sparse drums, it sounded more like one of Epica's acoustic tracks at points. Specifically Fantasy and parts of Unbreakable. But removed from any expectations, they're very well done. Especially Unbreakable and Winter Skies, which at times seems like an enhanced version of the original song, and at times outright cinematic. What a great way to end the album, leaving the listener to ask for more.

7. Biggest hope for this tour is that they play one of these bonus tracks live.

10/10 would pay 9 and a half shekels to Amazon again but only if Lauri's show opener is included.

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:51 pm

SentineLEX wrote:1. This album has Lauri Porra's name all over it. I don't know if song credits for the new songs have been released. I'm guessing Jens did Burn Me Down and I'm positive Lauri wrote Oblivion; the jury's still out on Enigma. But of the 13 existing tracks on this record, 6 of them are Porra's: Hallowed, Last Shore, Fireborn, Castaway, Old Man and the Sea, and Fantasy. No previous album had so much compositional involvement from the bassist and it creates a specific sort of atmosphere having all those songs on there. Very cool.
I found the credits for Enigma here. I can't verify their validity, but they're probably correct.

A few years ago, I was planning on buying the collector's edition of Elysium just for the exclusive tracks. Now that they are included on this release, I'm glad that I didn't. It's great to finally have them in digital format.

SentineLEX

Post by SentineLEX » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:02 pm

ZenithMC wrote:
SentineLEX wrote:1. This album has Lauri Porra's name all over it. I don't know if song credits for the new songs have been released. I'm guessing Jens did Burn Me Down and I'm positive Lauri wrote Oblivion; the jury's still out on Enigma. But of the 13 existing tracks on this record, 6 of them are Porra's: Hallowed, Last Shore, Fireborn, Castaway, Old Man and the Sea, and Fantasy. No previous album had so much compositional involvement from the bassist and it creates a specific sort of atmosphere having all those songs on there. Very cool.
I found the credits for Enigma here. I can't verify their validity, but they're probably correct.

A few years ago, I was planning on buying the collector's edition of Elysium just for the exclusive tracks. Now that they are included on this release, I'm glad that I didn't. It's great to finally have them in digital format.
All 3 by Matias? Wasn't expecting that.

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:49 pm

I agree with the vast majority of Sentinel's points. Good stuff right there, right on the money. I will add that I'm okay with the lack of speed, as that's an element of new Strato that I don't inherently expect because the band is going in a different direction with different cogs in the machine so to speak. But everything still sounds fresh, the new songs definitely sound like 'new Strato' and I personally love the orchestral versions. Winter Skies in particular sounds incredible, but I also love the take on Fantasy and the others. I am sad nothing from Elysium got the treatment though. Timo's voice sounds fantastic on them too, I was very impressed listening to him.

I also wish Endless Forest was on there for the sake of completion but it's not a big loss. I love the 1-2 punch of Fireborn and Giants.

mocobhc

Post by mocobhc » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:30 pm

I totally love the album! The new songs are great, hard to tell if there's one I like best... now I've got VERY high hopes for the next regular album :D The bonus tracks have already been great when they came out in the first, and combined together with the new songs they create a powerful album which could easily be mistaken as a regular new one if one wouldn't know better :) For the orchestral version of Unbreakable I needed some time until I got used to the different vibe it's delivering... Winter Skies and Shine In The Dark are a perfect choice for that though, love them. And agree with Empathica1928, vocals are amazing :)

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:13 pm

I wasn't expecting Matias either. What a great blend, really. I wonder if Rolf will continue Jorg's tradition of not writing any songs, but I would love to hear one from him.

SentineLEX

Post by SentineLEX » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:12 am

Definitely agree with Timo's vocals being stellar. The vocals for the orchestral songs are brand new I'm guessing? They all sound nice on all 4 songs.
NeverendingAbyss wrote:I wasn't expecting Matias either. What a great blend, really. I wonder if Rolf will continue Jorg's tradition of not writing any songs, but I would love to hear one from him.
I remember reading somewhere in an interview with Jorg that when TT would write all the music he would have a general idea of the drums but leave all the details to him. Maybe Rolf is doing something similar? You're right though, I'd love to see him write the melodies and everything else at least once, just to see what comes about.

Carn

Post by Carn » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:01 pm

I love it !
Most of the songs I didn't have, except the Nemesis vinyl ones so it's a real pleasure and discovery. The three new songs are amazing, in my humble opinion, Oblivion remaining my fave, maybe because i listened to it more than 30 times before the two others.
I'm more mixed feeling about the orch. versions, as they're totally not what I expected. Fantasy is okay, because the lyrics kinda suit with that style, and Winter Skies is pretty nice too (like the acoustic guitar solo ). I'm less into ShineitD and Unbreakable, I'm a bit "eh" about them.

Also I love, LOVE the cover ! I wanna scan the LP cover in high rez and print it for my wall. °w° I as sad to see that there were no Crystal&Fish shirt as tour merch. ( I also rly like the cd booklet band pic, 5 Big Moods in one pic )
Maybe we don't exists and it's only raining outisde

Pancio

Post by Pancio » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:36 pm

Hey guys, I'm back.

Sorry for the delay but I'm always busy with work and stuff, if not I try to visit the forum as a guest twice a week so I'm actually reading all the replies.

About the credits from Emigma I can confirm that Matias is involved in every new song.

Enigma: Music by Kotipelto, Liimatainen and Kupiainen Lyrics by Kotipelto

Burn me Down: Music by Kupiainen and Iivo Kaipainen (member of Arion, where the brother of Matias play drums) Lyrics by Kupiainen and Iivo and Ilari Kaipainen (brother and sister, I guess)

Oblivion: Music and Lyrics by Kupiainen and Francisco Cresp (if I'm not misled he actually work with Matias at 5by5 studio as producer)

After a lot of listening session I confirm what I've said before: Enigma is good, I love the new three songs and the orchestral tracks are good too (still I don't like the poppy hipster version of Fantasy, too weak for me and with an annoying drum beat).
The bonus tracks are good too, expecially those from Jens.

About the tour what can I say?
Yesterday I was in Milano and the show was great.
Timo was on fire and give us one of the best performance I've ever seen.
Destiny, Hunting High and Low, Black Diamond and Forever Free were full of power.
Of course they've downtuned the songs half a tone and Kotipelto sometimes struggle in the mid-high register, but his high register is fantastic, listen to Forever Free, if you want, I have already uploaded the video on youtube along with Oblivion, 4000 Rainy Nights and Destiny too.

Oh, and Timo confirmed the new album and tour for 2019, they will be in studio after this tour and a couple of gigs in Finland sooooo... Cross fingers, I hope in an old school progressive vibe like Elysium (the song) mixed with the new progressive style of Nemesis, both with a big power metal vein in it, like My Eternal Dream and The Lost Saga.

Ok, guys, reply as you wish :)

P.s.: the videos from yesterday gig

4000 Rainy Nights:

https://youtu.be/6py17Ek37V8

Destiny:

https://youtu.be/4ECpQOWfDSQ

Forever Free e Oblivion:

https://youtu.be/CzEA1N6bf2c

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:28 pm

Great videos. I'm so glad that our phones can now record in HD and we don't have to watch low quality videos anymore.

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:12 am

It's really cool to think about where Stratovarius is and how far they've come, as well as how much the music has evolved. Literally - it's not like they've changed enough to be unrecognizable, but they've taken the Stratovarius sound over the last 4 albums and molded it into something that sounds like the old stuff but also modern and fresh. 4 albums and 1 compilation album and a new 'greatest hits' album, Stratovarius is in a really good and comfortable place.

I'm already dying to hear the next album full of original songs, and wonder how far along they are in the songwriting process, if they've even started. They're such a low-key band, they don't talk much.

Carn

Post by Carn » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:04 pm

Thanks for the infos Pancio ! They're indeed so silent about the work in progress, but I can understand not saying much until things are clear and sure. (So much experience with angry fans because of delays in the videogame industry... )

I was so jelly to see that some of you got meet and greet haha xB

I also found the two concerts I went to great, much more dynamic, powerful and well played/sung than the eternal tour. Tho the mics lacked volume, all the rest was great and I'm so angry at people saying they re no good anymore and stuff like that.. like, have we seen the same band ? Can you make a difference between actual skill and sound mixing ?
Aaanyway ! I really hope i ll manage 2019 tour since i ll be working 6 day out of 7 in a small island -__-

Also haters on intermission 2, not grasping the concept of a compilation album and saying the new songs suck. The more i listen the more i love them ! I loved them from the start tho x')
Maybe we don't exists and it's only raining outisde

lucaf9397

Post by lucaf9397 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:49 pm

I like the album, very nice to have all those great and forgotten bonus tracks on one disc. I'm also glad they decided to not include "Endless Forest" wich I feel bit ridiculous. Though and orchestral version of it would have been OK.

What comes to live show sets, I am disappointed they chose to include Oblivion, while I think Burn Me Down has much more live potential.

I really look forward to the 2019 album, if it will happen.