Four nights?

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
AAAAAAAAAA
Four nights?

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:21 am

In the Wikipedia page for Eternal its written:
The ending track, "The Lost Saga", is the longest song on the album. In the liner notes, Kotipelto states that writing the lyrics, which deal with Vikings and battles,[2] was the "hardest work he has ever done". He spent four nights researching historical references.[3]
So I read the lyrics to Lost Saga...

I sail away from my homeland
My mission's to raid and plunder
I fight, I will rage, I will sunder
I hail the Thunder God

I will raise my horn
And I'll drink the ale
For the dead I mourn
For the gods I hail
It's been a long day

Do you think it really took four nights to come up with this bullshit? Discuss.

ZenithMC

Re: Four nights?

Post by ZenithMC » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:04 am

Maybe Kotipelto really did spend four nights to research about historical Viking battles, but it doesn't seem to be reflected in the lyrics. I would've expected some actual references to historical battles, instead of generalizations, to be present. Also, I believe Jani co-authored the lyrics on that song.

The thing I really contest about this is the "hardest work he has ever done" line. If that was the hardest work he'd ever done, then I guess Kotipelto has a very easy life. :lol: In all honestly, his career as a musician is much more difficult to successfully pull off than doing such a trivial thing as researching about Viking battles. :roll:

the reference on Wikipedia says that this quote is from the CD booklet, but my search for it has turned up naught. Perhaps, a nefarious trickster on Wikipedia has bamboozled us? :shock:

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:18 am

Maybe he really has an easy life. Playing floorball and going to the Sauna.

Or maybe he had no idea what a viking was and had to figure it all out from scratch?

The wikipedia edit was written by a guy from Sao Paulo named Victor Lopez. He seems to be a wikipedia "power user" and not the type to bamboozle.

(Why are south americans the most obsessed with metal bands, and things in general?)

We should confront him and resolve this injustice (or idiosyncrasy) .

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:25 am

I'm confused. Where in the Eternal CD booklet does it quote Kotipelto saying that researching historical Viking battles for Lost Saga's lyrics was the "hardest work he has ever done"? I was too lazy to pull Eternal out of my CD box and physically look at the booklet, so I went to Discogs and browsed the booklet pages on there. :oops:
AAAAAAAAAA wrote: (Why are south americans the most obsessed with metal bands, and things in general?)
Yeah, I have no idea. There is definitely some credence to that. :lol:

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:37 pm

Maybe there is a special edition or deluxe edition, where you pay extra in exchange for some pithy one-liners?

Maybe someone at the record label was in a huge rush and was forced to fabricate these weird anecdotes about each song?

SentineLEX

Post by SentineLEX » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:05 pm

Maybe TK has 200 IQ and he referenced a specific event that none of us even knew about

Maybe he just needed to spend 4 days with a Finnish to English dictionary to make sure the words were right (maybe the other Timo needed this but I don't think this one does)

Maybe he spent 4 days doing something else and through a game of telephone we got that.