Stratovarius Community
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

New to the band!! What is everyone's top songs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stratovarius Community Forum Index -> Stratovarius and related bands talk in English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiteFeather

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: New to the band!! What is everyone's top songs? Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I only recently discovered the band since I'm not really into metal (although I listen to some). I'm not really sure what are the fan favorites so I thought I'd ask people still active here about their fav/top songs. Mine is Elysium. Very Happy

NeverendingAbyss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Listen to the entire discography. Each album is different from one another, so some songs are really good in their album context.

You should definitely listen to Episode, Visions, Infinite, and Elements if you want to hear them at their peak.

The other album you should try out is Nemesis. You will notice that it is very different from the aforementioned albums, but that does not mean it is not good (it's one of my top 3 albums, personally). It is the most successful album since their main writer/composer, Timo Tolkki, left.

ZenithMC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:12 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I tend to chunk Stratovarius' discography into several eras. My personal favorite of each era is in bold text.

* Old-School era (1989-1994) {Fright Night, Twilight Time, Dreamspace}
* Transition to golden/classic era (1995) {Fourth Dimension}
* Golden/Classic era (1996-2000) {Episode, Destiny, Infinite}
* Hiatus era (2001-2002) {Intermission}
* Elements era (2003) {Elements Pt. 1, Elements Pt. 2}
* Decline era (2004-2008) {Stratovarius, R.R. Demo}
* New era (2009-current) {Polaris, Elysium, Nemesis, Eternal} Laughing

I don't know where to place Enigma. It's a compilation album with a few new songs, but it doesn't end the new era. Also, new era is not the best name for the current era.

You can also divide the new era into sub eras.
by genre:
NE: Power/prog (2009-2012) {Polaris, Elysium}
NE: Power/elec (2013-2014) {Nemesis}
NE: Power (2015-current) {Eternal}
by mix:
NE: Bright clean powerful (2009-2012) {Polaris, Elysium}
NE: Dark/warm mids-focused Modern (2013-current) {Nemesis, Eternal}

Pancio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

First of all you need to buy the best of: it's compiled by the band members and contains their vision of the "best part" of their discography.

About my personal taste (I'll try to include my top 3 songs from every album):

Fright Night: Witch Hunt, Fright Night and False Messiah

Stratovarius II/Twilight Time: The Hills Have Eyes, Madness Strikes at Midnight, Hands of Time

Dreamspace: Dreamspace, We Are the Future and Fourth Reich (bonus Abyss)

Fourth Dimension
: Distant Skies, Twilight Symphony, We Hold the Key

Episode: Cannot chose. Everything except Tomorrow, you can skip it with no problem (even tho there's the highest note ever sunged by Timo K.)

Visions: Same as above, everything

Destiny: Difficult to chose three songs so I will go for 5; Destiny, 4000 Rainy Nights, Venus in the Morning, Anthem of the World and Cold Winter Night (bonus could be S.O.S.)

Infinite: Phoenix, Millenium and Infinity (I decided to cut out from the list Hunting High and Low and A Million Light Years Away but I love them)

Elements Part 1: Soul of a Vagabond (I love the orchestral stuff in it), Find your own Voice, Fantasia, Learning to Fly and Elements (love the solo part, choir and also the orchestration)

Elements Part 2: Alpha and Omega, I Walk to My Own Song, Know the Difference, Liberty

Stratovarius: Back to Madness, Fight, United (Worst album but still I enjoy some of the songs)

Polaris: King of Nothing, Winter Skies, Forever is Today, Somehow Precious (Deep Unknow also)

Elysium: Elysium, The Game Never Ends, Infernal Maze

Nemesis: Abandon, Stand my Ground, Out of the Fog, Castles in the Air, Nemesis (the album is very cohesive and I like almost every song)

Eternal: My Eternal Dream, Feeding the Fire, The Lost Saga (also Man in the Mirror but it's a little bit strange for stadard Power Metal and I doubt a lot of people like it)

I have deliberately omitted compilations and celebratory albums (Intermission part 1 and 2) but you will find about them later since there are a lot of b-side and bonus track.

Let us know if you want some informations about the line-up or about the strange going on: I believe it's going to be very funny when you'll find out Very Happy

AAAAAAAAAA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

https://www.last.fm/music/Stratovarius/ +tracks?date_preset=ALL#top-tracks

adrian9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

ZenithMC wrote:

You forgot the most important album of the most imporant era, and the biggest seller with all the classic, Im talking about Visions and to an extent,Visions of Europe.

ZenithMC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

adrian9 wrote:
ZenithMC wrote:

You forgot the most important album of the most imporant era, and the biggest seller with all the classic, Im talking about Visions and to an extent,Visions of Europe.

Damn it! I knew I would forget one! Laughing My favorite from that era is still Episode, however. I've been making silly mistakes like that recently. Embarassed

LiteFeather

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Wow, thank you so much for the helpful replies!! Somehow I was not expecting long replies but you guys delivered. Really can't wait to go through them all! Very Happy Side note, the song and album titles sound really epic.

adrian9

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

ZenithMC wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
ZenithMC wrote:

Damn it! I knew I would forget one! Laughing My favorite from that era is still Episode, however. I've been making silly mistakes like that recently. Embarassed

its cool man, I have strong feelings for Episode too, but Visions is the soundtrack of "When Stratovarius Ruled the Metal World" Laughing remember that movie? Crying or Very sad Laughing

Empathica1928

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Apologies if this is too much, but, Stratovarius is arguably my favorite band of all time and I have a lot of favorites. Let's go album by album.

TOLKKI VOCAL ERA:

Fright Night: Honestly, I don't recommend anything from this record. It's raw, it's immature, it's a difficult listen and not representative of what the band actually became known for. Better to explore once you're familiar with the classics.

Twilight Time: Madness Strikes At Midnight, The Hands of Time, Twilight Time, Out of the Shadows

Dreamspace: Chasing Shadows, Eyes of the World

TIMO KOTIPELTO/"CLASSIC" LINEUP ERA:

Fourth Dimension: Against the Wind, Distant Skies, Galaxies, Twilight Symphony

Episode: Father Time, Speed of Light, Eternity, Will The Sun Rise? (but honestly this is my favorite metal album of all time and you should hear the whole thing)

Visions: The Kiss of Judas, Black Diamond, Forever Free

Destiny: Destiny, 4000 Rainy Nights, Anthem of the World

Infinite: Hunting High and Low, Phoenix, A Million Light Years Away

Elements Pt. I: Eagleheart, Find Your Own Voice, Soul of a Vagabond

Elements Pt. II: I'm Still Alive, Alpha & Omega, Know the Difference, I Walk To My Own Song

Stratovarius: Maniac Dance, Fight!!!, Gypsy In Me

POST-TOLKKI ERA

Polaris: Forever Is Today, Higher We Go, Falling Star

Elysium: Elysium, Darkest Hours, Move the Mountain, Event Horizon

Nemesis: Abandon, Fantasy, Castles in the Air, Halcyon Days

Eternal: My Eternal Dream, Rise Above It, Man in the Mirror, Few Are Those, The Lost Saga

SentineLEX
USER_AVATAR_REMOTE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Eternal/Enigma aren't in here and my tastes have moved around in the intervening years but I'd still put 030366 as my least favorite song and Elements as my favorite

http://forum.stratovarius.com/ viewtopic.php?t=11746

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stratovarius Community Forum Index -> Stratovarius and related bands talk in English All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum