(Drum roll) and the new drummer is...

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
scorpions
Re: (Drum roll) and the new drummer is...

Post by scorpions » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:26 am

Texidor wrote:When I saw the pic, I was a bit narrow minded I must admit. I am huge Jorg fan and part of his allure was his drum kits. The double bass kits were such a visual for Stratovarius. But nothing is constant but change. I seen the vids and you are very talented. Maybe you'll have a cool kit as well with Strato to supplement your extraordinary playing.

Texidor

Post by Texidor » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:43 pm

scorpions wrote:
Texidor wrote:When I saw the pic, I was a bit narrow minded I must admit. I am huge Jorg fan and part of his allure was his drum kits. The double bass kits were such a visual for Stratovarius. But nothing is constant but change. I seen the vids and you are very talented. Maybe you'll have a cool kit as well with Strato to supplement your extraordinary playing.

Insert foot in mouth LOL! I stand corrected. Either way I am so excited for Rolf and I am sure that he will add a new dimension to Stratovarius. He will be great! I hope the continue Epic and Melodic sounds of Elysium!
SHINE ON!

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:37 pm

He is really clean-cut. Short hair and all.??? Reminds me of that young guy in the Star Trek movie.

Real nice drum kit. He will do fine, I'm sure. His website was very impressive. He must be gifted. He already has an extensive resume!
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

tpocain

Post by tpocain » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:07 pm

JensJohansson wrote:Yes he is!

:)

Really good guy and great player.

We had so many brilliant people to choose from so it got quite difficult in the end!
Aw, Jens--I'm so excited for all of you! Welcome to Stratovarius, Rolf!\m/ :D
Tams

tpocain

Post by tpocain » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:23 pm

mocobhc wrote:Edit: Forgot to add some very nice new pics with the guys around, for example http://www.iltalehti.fi/popstars/201206 ... 5_ps.shtml Guess after that last pic and getting in close touch with our beloved Jens, Rolf knew what to expect and what he is about to do :lol:
Whoa, shit--crotch-grab by Jens! Now THAT'S what I call an initiation! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tams

nefertari

Post by nefertari » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:16 pm

Welcome to the family Rolf! Rolf is very talented, I got to knew him from Essence of Sorrow :)!

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:28 am

I honestly didnt know who the fuck this guy was, I browse through his web site , watched a few vids and jizzed on my pants.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VLnWf1sQkjY?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VLnWf1sQkjY?ve ... p;hl=es_ES" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

thats perfectly normal nothing wrong with me.... :lol:
A9

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:14 am

I agree he is very talented, it will be awesome to see the stuff he does when they start recording the new album.
metal feeds the beast

mocobhc

Post by mocobhc » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:41 am

OMG the presentation vid is fucking awesome! If any vid is able to make me terribly excited, it's this one. Thanks a lot! Now I wanna go to the Tavastia gig so badly...

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:01 am

WELCOME TO THE FAMILY ROLF!

I didn't know about this guy, but seeing videos I can see it is the perfect choice. If the guy can play whateveter they need, then it would be another level in Stratovarius sound.

REALLY REALLY COOL.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

stratowerner

Post by stratowerner » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:31 pm

Welcome Rolf,hope to see you soon on stage :headbang:

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:26 pm

I can't hear what the band is saying on the video :?
I'm WAY to distracted by Deep Unknown in the background... sounds so interesting... I want to listen to the wole thing.

Jens? :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
No need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray...
Tony Kakko

Elz

Post by Elz » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:09 am

very good choise!! its still sad that they have to play their old songs lower because kotipelto cant sing that high notes anymore...

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:46 am

I haven't heard any change in Kotipelto's voice other then the time he was recovering from a throat infection.

Still sounds awesome to me.
metal feeds the beast

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:06 am

Hell yes, he does.

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:46 am

About the short hair :)
He reminds me of Felix Bohnke, one of the most energetic and amazing power metal drummers I've seen. I don't think Rolf needs long hair to ROCK the stage :)
No need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray...
Tony Kakko

Samovarius

Post by Samovarius » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:49 pm

@Elz TK's voice isn't reason for lower tune. Matias has said in finnish magazine that drop C# is heavier sounding than Es tuned. And using drop C# tuning you haven't to use 7 strings guitar. For example original Black Diamond goes in d-minor key, which plays actually in C#-minor key. So, with dropped tune you can play it one octave lower! As they do in Tampere DVD teaser version of Black Diamond.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:53 pm

Samovarius wrote:@Elz TK's voice isn't reason for lower tune.
Sorry but I think that's a bit naive to believe. Why do so many bands suddenly decide they want to sound more heavy exactly when their lead singers start struggling with high notes?
I'm not judging Kotipelto, it's not a bad thing. Singers get old and hitting those high notes gets harder and there's nothing wrong with acknowledging that and compensating by playing the older songs in lower key.

Elz

Post by Elz » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:20 pm

Mormegil wrote:
Sorry but I think that's a bit naive to believe. Why do so many bands suddenly decide they want to sound more heavy exactly when their lead singers start struggling with high notes?
I'm not judging Kotipelto, it's not a bad thing. Singers get old and hitting those high notes gets harder and there's nothing wrong with acknowledging that and compensating by playing the older songs in lower key.
true.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:10 pm

Mormegil wrote:
Do you mouth-breathers ever consider that in a lower-key song, though Kotipelto hits less high notes, he also hits more low notes? Talk about the glass of shit being half empty.

By the way, a big thumbs up for the drummer, Rofl! I mean, rolf...!!! He is everything I hoped for. A young, fresh talent (like Matias) who can elevate the band to the next level under the wise guidance and leadership of JJ and Mr. K. :twisted:

Also, I have heard reports that Jens only grabbed his crotch to ensure he doesn't have Tolkki syndrome. Apparently, having small package has been statistically linked to mental instability in a band environment! :sick:

Samovarius

Post by Samovarius » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:34 pm

Yeah, AAA (can't remember how many...) this went totally offtopic, Rolf is great man to sit on that chair behind the drums. But... Let me continue that i ment it is not the ONLY reason for lower tune. Eb tune is Tolkki's thing, traced from Yngwie, i guess. C# tune fits much better for Matias style. Maybe TK has problems with high notes, and i think he has never loved to sing very very very high. Just listen his solo albums. And as said before, there's nothing bad with that thing, i really don't like listen for exsample Learning To Fly. I don't wanna be an insister, but 40 + is not old age for a singer, opera singers are best in that age, up to 50 +. But, let's wait for the next album, i trust it's great played and singed!

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:39 pm

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:Do you mouth-breathers ever consider that in a lower-key song, though Kotipelto hits less high notes, he also hits more low notes?
Yes. I'd be embarrassed to call myself a mediocre amateur musician if I didn't take that into account. Now link me to a recent Youtube video of Stratovarius performing with their current tuning, where TK has troubles hitting the lower notes.

You know what, fuck it, this is indeed Rolf's thread, lets keep this usual mouth-breathery of this forum in minimum. :)

Samovarius

Post by Samovarius » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:53 pm

My fault, sorry.. Drum rrrrrrrrrooooolllff for Rolf!

Peace Warrior

Post by Peace Warrior » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:40 am

Mormegil wrote:Sorry but I think that's a bit naive to believe. Why do so many bands suddenly decide they want to sound more heavy exactly when their lead singers start struggling with high notes?
Then why would growl bands also have tuned down guitars??

no need to explode your brain , since you wont find good answer :D :D :D :D

GAGAGO

Post by GAGAGO » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:06 am

Peace Warrior wrote:
Mormegil wrote:Sorry but I think that's a bit naive to believe. Why do so many bands suddenly decide they want to sound more heavy exactly when their lead singers start struggling with high notes?
Then why would growl bands also have tuned down guitars??

no need to explode your brain , since you wont find good answer :D :D :D :D
tl;dr as usual

GAGAGO

Post by GAGAGO » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:09 am

Mormegil wrote:
Ignore

GAGAGO

Post by GAGAGO » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:11 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Mormegil wrote:
Do you mouth-breathers ever consider that in a lower-key song, though Kotipelto hits less high notes, he also hits more low notes? Talk about the glass of shit being half empty.

By the way, a big thumbs up for the drummer, Rofl! I mean, rolf...!!! He is everything I hoped for. A young, fresh talent (like Matias) who can elevate the band to the next level under the wise guidance and leadership of JJ and Mr. K. :twisted:

Also, I have heard reports that Jens only grabbed his crotch to ensure he doesn't have Tolkki syndrome. Apparently, having small package has been statistically linked to mental instability in a band environment! :sick:
MOre IGNORE :crazy2:

Betlodocus

Post by Betlodocus » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:11 am

[quote="SamovariusMatias has said in finnish magazine that drop C# is heavier sounding than Es tuned. And using drop C# tuning you haven't to use 7 strings guitar.[/quote]

How about Matias will pick an Ibanez RGA8 or M8M series? :lol:

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:33 am

GAGAGO wrote:
MOre IGNORE :crazy2:
I thought we had a silent understanding... :nervous:

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:10 am

I essentially don't get where this line of discussion is going? are you trying to say you don't like the way they do things now? are you trying to say that you love the way things are now?

Not to sound mean however is there a point to it other then pointing out something that's ultimately redundant?
metal feeds the beast