Stratovarius Community
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

(Drum roll) and the new drummer is...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stratovarius Community Forum Index -> Stratovarius and related bands talk in English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scorpions
USER_AVATAR_REMOTE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Texidor wrote:
When I saw the pic, I was a bit narrow minded I must admit. I am huge Jorg fan and part of his allure was his drum kits. The double bass kits were such a visual for Stratovarius. But nothing is constant but change. I seen the vids and you are very talented. Maybe you'll have a cool kit as well with Strato to supplement your extraordinary playing.

Texidor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

scorpions wrote:
Texidor wrote:
When I saw the pic, I was a bit narrow minded I must admit. I am huge Jorg fan and part of his allure was his drum kits. The double bass kits were such a visual for Stratovarius. But nothing is constant but change. I seen the vids and you are very talented. Maybe you'll have a cool kit as well with Strato to supplement your extraordinary playing.

Insert foot in mouth LOL! I stand corrected. Either way I am so excited for Rolf and I am sure that he will add a new dimension to Stratovarius. He will be great! I hope the continue Epic and Melodic sounds of Elysium!

browneyedgirl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

He is really clean-cut. Short hair and all.Confused Reminds me of that young guy in the Star Trek movie.

Real nice drum kit. He will do fine, I'm sure. His website was very impressive. He must be gifted. He already has an extensive resume!

tpocain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

JensJohansson wrote:
Yes he is!

Smile

Really good guy and great player.

We had so many brilliant people to choose from so it got quite difficult in the end!

Aw, Jens--I'm so excited for all of you! Welcome to Stratovarius, Rolf!\m/ Very Happy

tpocain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

mocobhc wrote:
Edit: Forgot to add some very nice new pics with the guys around, for example http://www.iltalehti.fi/popstars/ 2012062015737135_ps.shtml Guess after that last pic and getting in close touch with our beloved Jens, Rolf knew what to expect and what he is about to do Laughing

Whoa, shit--crotch-grab by Jens! Now THAT'S what I call an initiation! Laughing Laughing Laughing

nefertari

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Welcome to the family Rolf! Rolf is very talented, I got to knew him from Essence of Sorrow Smile!

adrian9

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I honestly didnt know who the fuck this guy was, I browse through his web site , watched a few vids and jizzed on my pants.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ VLnWf1sQkjY?version=3&amp;hl=es_ES"></ param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ VLnWf1sQkjY?version=3&amp;hl=es_ES" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

thats perfectly normal nothing wrong with me.... Laughing

hiro23

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I agree he is very talented, it will be awesome to see the stuff he does when they start recording the new album.

mocobhc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

OMG the presentation vid is fucking awesome! If any vid is able to make me terribly excited, it's this one. Thanks a lot! Now I wanna go to the Tavastia gig so badly...

RazielSR
USER_AVATAR_REMOTE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

WELCOME TO THE FAMILY ROLF!

I didn't know about this guy, but seeing videos I can see it is the perfect choice. If the guy can play whateveter they need, then it would be another level in Stratovarius sound.

REALLY REALLY COOL.

stratowerner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Welcome Rolf,hope to see you soon on stage Ylsuper

HinatAArcticA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I can't hear what the band is saying on the video Confused
I'm WAY to distracted by Deep Unknown in the background... sounds so interesting... I want to listen to the wole thing.

Jens? Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Elz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

very good choise!! its still sad that they have to play their old songs lower because kotipelto cant sing that high notes anymore...

hiro23

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I haven't heard any change in Kotipelto's voice other then the time he was recovering from a throat infection.

Still sounds awesome to me.

brought2ubyletterC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Hell yes, he does.

HinatAArcticA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

About the short hair Smile
He reminds me of Felix Bohnke, one of the most energetic and amazing power metal drummers I've seen. I don't think Rolf needs long hair to ROCK the stage Smile

Samovarius

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

@Elz TK's voice isn't reason for lower tune. Matias has said in finnish magazine that drop C# is heavier sounding than Es tuned. And using drop C# tuning you haven't to use 7 strings guitar. For example original Black Diamond goes in d-minor key, which plays actually in C#-minor key. So, with dropped tune you can play it one octave lower! As they do in Tampere DVD teaser version of Black Diamond.

Mormegil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Samovarius wrote:
@Elz TK's voice isn't reason for lower tune.

Sorry but I think that's a bit naive to believe. Why do so many bands suddenly decide they want to sound more heavy exactly when their lead singers start struggling with high notes?
I'm not judging Kotipelto, it's not a bad thing. Singers get old and hitting those high notes gets harder and there's nothing wrong with acknowledging that and compensating by playing the older songs in lower key.

Elz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Mormegil wrote:
Samovarius wrote:

Sorry but I think that's a bit naive to believe. Why do so many bands suddenly decide they want to sound more heavy exactly when their lead singers start struggling with high notes?
I'm not judging Kotipelto, it's not a bad thing. Singers get old and hitting those high notes gets harder and there's nothing wrong with acknowledging that and compensating by playing the older songs in lower key.
true.

AAAAAAAAAA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Mormegil wrote:
Samovarius wrote:

Do you mouth-breathers ever consider that in a lower-key song, though Kotipelto hits less high notes, he also hits more low notes? Talk about the glass of shit being half empty.

By the way, a big thumbs up for the drummer, Rofl! I mean, rolf...!!! He is everything I hoped for. A young, fresh talent (like Matias) who can elevate the band to the next level under the wise guidance and leadership of JJ and Mr. K. Twisted Evil

Also, I have heard reports that Jens only grabbed his crotch to ensure he doesn't have Tolkki syndrome. Apparently, having small package has been statistically linked to mental instability in a band environment! Sick

Samovarius

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Yeah, AAA (can't remember how many...) this went totally offtopic, Rolf is great man to sit on that chair behind the drums. But... Let me continue that i ment it is not the ONLY reason for lower tune. Eb tune is Tolkki's thing, traced from Yngwie, i guess. C# tune fits much better for Matias style. Maybe TK has problems with high notes, and i think he has never loved to sing very very very high. Just listen his solo albums. And as said before, there's nothing bad with that thing, i really don't like listen for exsample Learning To Fly. I don't wanna be an insister, but 40 + is not old age for a singer, opera singers are best in that age, up to 50 +. But, let's wait for the next album, i trust it's great played and singed!

Mormegil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Do you mouth-breathers ever consider that in a lower-key song, though Kotipelto hits less high notes, he also hits more low notes?

Yes. I'd be embarrassed to call myself a mediocre amateur musician if I didn't take that into account. Now link me to a recent Youtube video of Stratovarius performing with their current tuning, where TK has troubles hitting the lower notes.

You know what, fuck it, this is indeed Rolf's thread, lets keep this usual mouth-breathery of this forum in minimum. Smile

Samovarius

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

My fault, sorry.. Drum rrrrrrrrrooooolllff for Rolf!

Peace Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Mormegil wrote:

Then why would growl bands also have tuned down guitars??

no need to explode your brain , since you wont find good answer Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

GAGAGO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Peace Warrior wrote:
Mormegil wrote:

Then why would growl bands also have tuned down guitars??

no need to explode your brain , since you wont find good answer Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

tl;dr as usual

GAGAGO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Mormegil wrote:
Samovarius wrote:

Ignore

GAGAGO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Mormegil wrote:
Samovarius wrote:

Do you mouth-breathers ever consider that in a lower-key song, though Kotipelto hits less high notes, he also hits more low notes? Talk about the glass of shit being half empty.

By the way, a big thumbs up for the drummer, Rofl! I mean, rolf...!!! He is everything I hoped for. A young, fresh talent (like Matias) who can elevate the band to the next level under the wise guidance and leadership of JJ and Mr. K. Twisted Evil

Also, I have heard reports that Jens only grabbed his crotch to ensure he doesn't have Tolkki syndrome. Apparently, having small package has been statistically linked to mental instability in a band environment! Sick

MOre IGNORE Ubblooney

Betlodocus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

[quote="SamovariusMatias has said in finnish magazine that drop C# is heavier sounding than Es tuned. And using drop C# tuning you haven't to use 7 strings guitar.[/quote]

How about Matias will pick an Ibanez RGA8 or M8M series? Laughing

AAAAAAAAAA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

GAGAGO wrote:

MOre IGNORE Ubblooney

I thought we had a silent understanding... Xyxnervous

hiro23

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I essentially don't get where this line of discussion is going? are you trying to say you don't like the way they do things now? are you trying to say that you love the way things are now?

Not to sound mean however is there a point to it other then pointing out something that's ultimately redundant?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stratovarius Community Forum Index -> Stratovarius and related bands talk in English All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to:  You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum