Stratovarius Community
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Timo Kotipelto in Ayreon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stratovarius Community Forum Index -> Stratovarius and related bands talk in English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rikkertje

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Timo Kotipelto in Ayreon Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Dusted of my Ayreon albums again.
Been listening to them in chronological order.
TK's vocal performance in the song Out Of The White Hole from the Universal Migrator album is outstanding!

http://youtu.be/Xa7TRXqDO-g

Southern_Cross

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Timo Kotipelto in Ayreon Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

rikkertje wrote:
Dusted of my Ayreon albums again.
Been listening to them in chronological order.
TK's vocal performance in the song Out Of The White Hole from the Universal Migrator album is outstanding!

http://youtu.be/Xa7TRXqDO-g

I really enjoyed that song too! Makes me think of vintage martian movies.

adrian9

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

never been a fan of ayeron,however SO MANY people recommend it that I feel tempted to pick an album, and it seems this one is the best.
anyone care to share thoughs on ayeron? where to begin?
to me this track sounded a bit like wakeman solo stuff

SentineLEX
USER_AVATAR_REMOTE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

adrian9 wrote:
never been a fan of ayeron,however SO MANY people recommend it that I feel tempted to pick an album, and it seems this one is the best.

Same. Just got all the studio albums the other day. I need some new stuff to listen to so I don't have to keep Eternal on repeat to the point of disgust.

Any comparisons to other bands' albums/songs is also nice.

SentineLEX
USER_AVATAR_REMOTE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:52 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

adrian9 wrote:

Plunged right into Into the Electric Castle.

I regret nothing. It'll grab you by the second song.

rikkertje

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Starting with Into The Electric Castle is indeed the best. And then just follow the discography chronological. The music changed quite a bit but if you follow the discography this change will be smooth.

If you want to dive straight into the new material I'd suggest The Theory of Everything. That album starts a new story lyric wise. The albums before that have told a story since Into The Electric Castle. So diving into the middle of that would be unwise, as you wouldn't have a clue what the songs are about.

Rage1979

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

adrian9 wrote:

Ayreon is my all time favourite "bands".

Start with 01011001 or the Human Equation

rikkertje

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Rage1979 wrote:

I get where you're coming from, musically, but I don't think it's a good start lyrically. Especially 01011001. If that's the first album one listens to they'd most likely have no clue what it's about.

SentineLEX
USER_AVATAR_REMOTE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Is the Human Equation actually related to the story on the other albums? I just finished Castle and don't see how a dude in a coma can fit into this story.

rikkertje

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Yep it is. Don't want to spoiler how though.

Or can I?

SentineLEX
USER_AVATAR_REMOTE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Nah I'll get there.

rikkertje

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Good! Enjoy!

Rage1979

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

[quote="rikkertje"]
Rage1979 wrote:

I get where you're coming from, musically, but I don't think it's a good start lyrically. Especially 01011001. If that's the first album one listens to they'd most likely have no clue what it's about.[/quote

Does it matter really? For me it is no big deal.

The latest The Theory of Everything is also brilliant!

rikkertje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

For me it does. Smile I pay a lot of attention to the lyrics of Ayreon. And I don't know about Sentinel, that's why I mentioned it.

And indeed, Theory is a magnificent album!

SentineLEX
USER_AVATAR_REMOTE

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

rikkertje wrote:
For me it does. Smile I pay a lot of attention to the lyrics of Ayreon. And I don't know about Sentinel, that's why I mentioned it.

And indeed, Theory is a magnificent album!

I wikipedia'd the first two albums as frame of reference, but otherwise I'm having fun figuring out the story for myself!

Empathica1928

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:52 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Personally, I've introduced at least half a dozen people to Ayreon locally, and I did it with 01011001 every time. And they all love that album, and they're not even prog fans, or the kind of people who seek out music that's a little more complicated. I gave them a brief synopsis of the theme of the album's concept and they all dug it. Just my two cents.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stratovarius Community Forum Index -> Stratovarius and related bands talk in English All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum