Could you all please ..

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
JensJohansson
Administrator
Could you all please ..

Post by JensJohansson » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:17 pm

... keep the shitposting to a minimum?

Some people in the band are wondering if the stuff here might be too offensive in this day and age of "everyone wants to be offended about something".

Yes, I know there is not much traffic here :-)

I would personally hate to delete this place, since it's been running 20 years or however long it is, but we will probably start having it moderated. With the amount of new posts it should actually not be too time consuming.

Probably it's the longest continuously running "vintage" forum connected to a metal band...

Cheerio

ZenithMC

Re: Could you all please ..

Post by ZenithMC » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:43 am

Geez, I hope I didn't cause this. :err:
JensJohansson wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:17 pm
Some people in the band are wondering if the stuff here might be too offensive in this day and age of "everyone wants to be offended about something".
True. It's a shame that things are like that now. I'm of the persuasion that freedom of speech should be protected, within reason. Of course, the world doesn't operate based on my opinion. I have great disdain for censorship, but the tech corporations love censorship, and they are the ones with the authority... So, I unfortunately understand where you're coming from. :-(
JensJohansson wrote:
but we will probably start having it moderated.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:47 am

Hmmm sure, but what is the offending part of our shitposts?

I can see the trash talking but we don't necessarily promote hate speech, racism, homophobia, gender inequality, etc etc...

We can most likely post according to guidelines, but what are they? :lol:

If it's legal matters and liability then sure. None of us really want to cause you guys any trouble.

:)
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

Motha-faka

Post by Motha-faka » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:00 am

maybe the memes? timo tolkki talks? I dont have idea :shock:

Motha-faka

Post by Motha-faka » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:05 am

JensJohansson wrote:
... keep the shitposting to a minimum?

Yes, I know there is not much traffic here :-)

I would personally hate to delete this place, since it's been running 20 years or however long it is, but we will probably start having it moderated. With the amount of new posts it should actually not be too time consuming.

Probably it's the longest continuously running "vintage" forum connected to a metal band...

Cheerio
haaa!!! maybe the stuff jump when someone post "Rolf as twink"? or the meme the japanese anime? the gay jokes with meme and stuff? I dont know.
:!:

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:33 am

Motha-faka wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:05 am
haaa!!! maybe the stuff jump when someone post "Rolf as twink"? or the meme the japanese anime? the gay jokes with meme and stuff? I dont know.
:!:
These are what I suspect, as well. I just spent an hour reviewing the forum. It's most likely the thread you mentioned, though. Needless to say, it was a joke...
NeverendingAbyss wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:47 am
We can most likely post according to guidelines, but what are they? :lol:
+1. An update of the forum rules is in order, otherwise we won't know what crosses the line. The only things I've found that broke the rules (or got close) were the "IQ" comments. Those incidents have already been resolved on their own, without any intervention.

Also, this forum is like 90% shitposts. :lol:

I'm probably overthinking it, but you aren't planning on scrubbing the entire forum, are you? :~( If that's eventually the case, would we get an archive of the site to download before that happens, for posterity's sake?

robocop

Post by robocop » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:52 am

Ohhh, what did I do now? :cry: I sincerely apologize to Rolf and anyone else who was offended by anything I did. Feel free to delete my posts if you feel they aren’t good. Again, at no point did I mean to cross any line to hurt somebody’s feelings or ruin their reputation. Thank you for keeping the forum alive, I didn’t know other band members visit here. I don’t take this place for granted and appreciate everything.

P.S.
Please don’t sue me, I’m on disability. :cry:

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:33 am

robocop wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:52 am
Ohhh, what did I do now? :cry: I sincerely apologize to Rolf and anyone else who was offended by anything I did. Feel free to delete my posts if you feel they aren’t good. Again, at no point did I mean to cross any line to hurt somebody’s feelings or ruin their reputation. Thank you for keeping the forum alive, I didn’t know other band members visit here. I don’t take this place for granted and appreciate everything.
Based on what Jens said, it didn't seem like the band mates themselves were offended by what's posted here. I'm thinking this is more a preemptive move by the band than anything else. They're trying to prevent the case of somebody getting offended by what's posted here and themselves getting into trouble as a result. That's an unfortunately real threat, nowadays.

I guess the Stratoforum is seen somewhat as baggage, and I can't say that I blame them. While they might not be responsible for the actions of its users (it does work like that, I hope?), the optics would end up looking bad for Stratovarius, regardless, and that could have very real consequences.

robocop

Post by robocop » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:45 am

It’s all true what you said, Zenith. I’m stuck in the past internet 1.0 and don’t account for other people’s feelings and issues. Some things make me look like I’m a complete bigoted douchebag. It’s something I have to work on and this was a rude awakening. It doesn’t reflect good on me when the country has you know who in office. :cry: Catastrophic thinking gets the best of us. Even in grade school I acted out in class and got in trouble. Not going to go any deeper, I just hope it all works out for the band and the forum. Sorry, I’m done and Jens can delete my account and ban me if he chooses.

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:17 am

robocop wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:45 am
It’s all true what you said, Zenith. I’m stuck in the past internet 1.0 and don’t account for other people’s feelings and issues. Some things make me look like I’m a complete bigoted douchebag. It’s something I have to work on and this was a rude awakening. It doesn’t reflect good on me when the country has you know who in office. :cry: Catastrophic thinking gets the best of us. Even in grade school I acted out in class and got in trouble. Not going to go any deeper, I just hope it all works out for the band and the forum. Sorry, I’m done and Jens can delete my account and ban me if he chooses.
There, there. Take it easy, robocop. :) You were just having fun and making jokes, you weren't trying to actually cause anybody offense or deliberately hurt anyone's feelings. I like to have fun, relax, and make jokes, too! You're not a bad guy, robocop. :)

Stratoviking

Post by Stratoviking » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:04 am

I still love this place
Have Been here since 2002 that is a long long time
Please keep it up!
We are the stratofamily!!

/ stratoviking

mocobhc

Post by mocobhc » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:31 am

Whoa. Just when I started to think Stratoforum would get back to what it was. But yeah, there are good sides and bad sides of that :lol:
There certainly were posts which crossed a line, but defining that line is a difficult thing to do. I hope that whoever is going to take up this task will keep in mind that Stratoforum has been living with a very high amount of freedom of speech, and will at least try to identify the "do-not-cross"-line for users before starting to delete and/or ban.

Pancio

Post by Pancio » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:54 pm

Mmm, I believe it to be a difficult decision to digest by the forum members but, tbh, it's not far from the reality.

The worldwide situation is pretty bad: freedom of speech is promoted as an important thing but, at the same time, freedom of speech is free until a certain point and, to me, it's pretty incoherent.
Joking on "hot topics" is forbidden and everyone needs to follow "the path" without divergent opinions.
A lot of people praises social inclusiveness and promotes the politically correct pretending to steps on others opinions and freedom of speech in order to show how good human race is.
You're not stepping in line? A hate-based anti-hate campaign appear.

Taking a view from the outside I understand very well your position, guys, and I respect it.
I know that, nowadays, a single bad post can start a negative mass advertising in a sort of domino-like interaction and you need to preserve your public image.
I know also that this forum was and still is one of the last almost completely free space on internet and, because of it, it's full of irreverent stuff for someone who's not able to comprehend the heavy irony, mordacity and satire (most of the people, actually).

So I believe it's not good to moderate the forum because of the susceptibility of possible random SJW but, at the same time, I know it's the only way to avoid potential future problems.
So, for the love of the bands, I'm okay with the moderation although a big part of me prefer the forum to be deleted instead of changed that way (but I'm not so selfish I need to have something deleted only because I can't stand a change).

So thanks, Jens, I appreciate your will to inform us before the changes.

P.S.: Sorry for any mistakes that I might have made, I wrote very quickly and with the automatic corrector set in Italian, which leads to the modification of some words.
Last edited by Pancio on Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:39 pm

robocop wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:45 am
I think you're good, dude! Most of us grew up during the internet sensation of tubgirl, goatse, rotten, etc... most popular sites nowadays have taken the same steps in becoming more docile due to Twitter's echo chamber.

Hell, remember when /b/ used to doxx, raid, and troll the fuck out of the internet? Unfortunately (or fortunately) those days are over. r/dankmemes isn't dank anymore. The internet has changed. It's no longer about raids, lolz, or taking jokes lightly. It's an endless series of proxy battles, fought by keyboard warriors and weebs. The internet--and its consumption of life--has become a well-oiled machine. The internet has changed. ID-tagged users carry ID-tagged laptops, use ID-tagged emojis. Mountain Dew inside their bodies enhance and regulate their abilities. Political correctness control, information control, emotion control, forum control… everything is monitored and kept under control. The internet… has changed. The age of no u has become the age of control, all in the name of averting catastrophe from an angry random internet user, and he who controls the internet, controls history. The internet… has changed. When Stratoforum is under total control, depression becomes routine.
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

Motha-faka

Post by Motha-faka » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:54 pm

PFFF!!! maybe in North america and Europe internet is under control... in south america, not exist the internet control, by that here is a disaster the internet :lol:

you wanna live an anarchy?, setup your browser or vpn in Argentina for example :lol:

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:04 pm

The Stratoforum was this nice clean bubble in a sea of increasingly pathogenic sewage. I guess now the walls are getting thin and the bubble's about to pop. It was a nice escape from the stupidity and sensitivity of the modern internet. These bubbles are becoming a rarity. I cannot stand any of these social media platforms, which is why I don't use them. All they contain is this politically correct echo chamber tripe. It's truly a disturbing sight to behold.

I cannot agree more with what's already been said here, even if I tried to. It is the truth and the future looks grim. I'll cheerish my memories of the early internet forever, except for the ads. The ads were way worse in the past. Also, internet speed sucked too. Besides all that, fond memories.

It's frustrating to feel this powerless...

On the other hand, it could be far far worse. We could have Chinese levels of internet censorship. :sick:
(Sorry for sounding preachy. I feel very strongly about this topic, and I just wanted to voice my opinion)

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:27 am

ZenithMC wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:04 pm
The Stratoforum was this nice clean bubble in a sea of increasingly pathogenic sewage. I guess now the walls are getting thin and the bubble's about to pop. It was a nice escape from the stupidity and sensitivity of the modern internet. These bubbles are becoming a rarity. I cannot stand any of these social media platforms, which is why I don't use them. All they contain is this politically correct echo chamber tripe. It's truly a disturbing sight to behold.
I agree 100%! Twitter and Reddit are the worst culprits I think (say hello to woke virtue signaling!), Though they are all trash. But some of you are overreacting. There isn't any talk of creating a "Center for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion" and making us go to sensitivity and bias trainings (which btw happened at every place I worked before I gave up on life).

As long as the top thread of the forum isn't calling out a member of the band as being a (insert perjorative here) we should be fine. We are being asked to tone it down, not to write sob stories about global warming, lack of free health care and income inequality.

And RoboCop: don't be hard on yourself. This place has been a toxic wasteland for twenty years. How are we supposed to know what the lines are...or if there are lines at all .. when it's been "anything goes" for so long?

in hindsight I understand that the younger members of the band take pride in their image and want to legitimate themselves as consummate professionals. the kind of autism we peddle around here does not serve that purpose well.

I'm not thrilled about moderation and censorship, but is my desire to call someone low IQ so unabatable that I have to do it at the expense of my favorite bands reputation? Probably not.
pancio wrote:A lot of people praises social inclusiveness and promotes the politically correct pretending to steps on others opinions and freedom of speech in order to show how good human race is.
You're not stepping in line? A hate-based anti-hate campaign appear.
You are one thousand percent correct but what I suspect is going in here is not a legitimate fear of SJW reprisal but rather some desire on behalf of the band to maintain a clean, professional image. I do remember JJ mentioning years back that members of the band were constantly giving him grief over the forum.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:06 am

There are babies who were born the year this forum was made who are old enough to find its humor immature.
They let us have signatures on this forum???

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:44 pm

Rebel wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:06 am
There are babies who were born the year this forum was made who are old enough to find its humor immature.
This should be the slogan of the stratoforum, this is our essence, bravo rebel! bravo!
A9

robocop

Post by robocop » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:52 pm

Thanks to those who posted saying I’m not as bad as I think!! I won’t quote a hundred things here to waste anybody’s time. A10:
Move to a red state, bud! (Kidding.) Where working in a warehouse 14 hour days to support your 10 kids is seen as a good career path. Where coal mining is still seen as something good like it’s 1935. Where renewable energy and any forward thinking ideas are viewed as you being a p***y. Where mentally challenged and meth heads are free to have as many kids as they want with no reprocussions and carry guns, ride dirt bikes and ATVs while hunting deer and drinking coors light in the woods since they were 13.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:37 pm

robocop wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:52 pm
Thanks to those who posted saying I’m not as bad as I think!! I won’t quote a hundred things here to waste anybody’s time. A10:
Move to a red state, bud! (Kidding.) Where working in a warehouse 14 hour days to support your 10 kids is seen as a good career path. Where coal mining is still seen as something good like it’s 1935. Where renewable energy and any forward thinking ideas are viewed as you being a p***y. Where mentally challenged and meth heads are free to have as many kids as they want with no reprocussions and carry guns, ride dirt bikes and ATVs while hunting deer and drinking coors light in the woods since they were 13.
:lol: :lol: communist California doesn't seem half bad now :lol:

SentineLEX

Post by SentineLEX » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:40 pm

What will be the state of the Various Threads Hidden From Google board going forth? I understand the need for good optics, but part of the fun of the board is the carefree nature. No calling Rolf a twink but I'd still like to squeeze a few select nuggets out of my... brain wherever possible.

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:38 pm

Well, as long as there is not hyper moderation, ala the Sonata Arctica forum (RIP), I will humor it.
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:27 am
But some of you are overreacting. There isn't any talk of creating a "Center for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion" and making us go to sensitivity and bias trainings (which btw happened at every place I worked before I gave up on life).
Yeah, some of us were looking at this from a much broader perspective than just the Stratoforum, because that is where this problem is emanating from.

Also, about the corporate PC stuff: Why are we fooling ourselves? People should be hired based on their skills and merit. No exceptions. Aren't I just an evil bigot? :twisted: :lol:
SentineLEX wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:40 pm
part of the fun of the board is the carefree nature.
I wish the whole world could be carefree (not as in laziness, but as in being able to take a joke, etc). Although, maybe that would make the world a really boring place, as people are drawn to contention and controversy like moths to a flame. :roll:

robocop

Post by robocop » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:06 am

ZenithMC wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:38 pm
Well, as long as there is not hyper moderation, ala the Sonata Arctica forum (RIP), I will humor it.
I say let them do what they feel is right. It’s out of our hands.

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:34 am

robocop wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:06 am
ZenithMC wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:38 pm
I say let them do what they feel is right. It’s out of our hands.
Precisely.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:49 am

Yes and yes.... but the most bizarre post came always from old band members and their room mates ??? :D :D
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

robocop

Post by robocop » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:49 am

RazielSR wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:49 am
Yes and yes.... but the most bizarre post came always from old band members and their room mates ??? :D :D
Hmmm? ???
Even if people get banned, there might be a flavio situation on our hands. Multiple accounts in the same post style coming back from the dead.

Motha-faka

Post by Motha-faka » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:44 pm

I'm like donald trump, Robo :D

A FULL HATER, HOMOPHOBE, RACIST, SPANISH AND SOUTH AMERICAN, BE CAREFUL OR I WILL BITE YOU ONE LEG :x

pufff.... stop to talk about me, i'm not famous like jens... :roll:

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:40 am

Motha-faka wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:44 pm

A FULL HATER, HOMOPHOBE, RACIST, SPANISH AND SOUTH AMERICAN, BE CAREFUL OR I WILL BITE YOU ONE LEG :x

How does it feel to be made an example of? :lol:

"The Flavio Effect" :D

You should post more of your covers here by the way (maybe make a separate thread for it though).

Motha-faka

Post by Motha-faka » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:43 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:40 am
Motha-faka wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:44 pm

How does it feel to be made an example of? :lol:

"The Flavio Effect" :D

You should post more of your covers here by the way (maybe make a separate thread for it though).
sadly i'm not more alone in my house, my mother and father is here, and they not support loud noises, and less to me singing powermetal :cry:
I dont have choice, why i care of both :err: i'm zorriez by my parents really :lol:

but i will show you one karaoke that i did in the past with my asshole band mates :D

I dont have more really, is incredible how the life change in one minute, now is i'm that care of my parents when they care of me before :roll: