In Cauda Venenum and music dissertation

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Pancio
In Cauda Venenum and music dissertation

Post by Pancio » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:23 am

What do you think about "In Cauda Venenum" and Opeth in general?

I know it's not melodic power metal but I enjoy them since they decided to end with growls and screams, I love also their good taste in music with a lot of references to prog stuff from '70s (PFM and so on)

Maybe I'm turning into those prog-snob hipster, but I love jazz and fusion also, and I'm living with Zappa's stuff while waiting new Strato. Oh, and Meshuggah, Devin Townsend and Ron Jarzombek; mmm, I'm wondering if I'm sort of bipolar guy, after all.

Empathica1928

Re: In Cauda Venenum and music dissertation

Post by Empathica1928 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:28 pm

I'm in the minority that doesn't think much of pre-Watershed Opeth. Blackwater is great, Damnation is great, Watershed is their best record imo, but almost everything else from the pre-Watershed days can take a hike. We get it, you scream the screams and play the riffs over and over, okay. I think new Opeth is much more adventurous and musically compelling. Pale Communion and Sorceress both rock - Pale Communion is my favorite post-Watershed record. Heritage is not an album I enjoy, but I do love The Devil's Orchard.

In Cauda Venenum is a great record in my opinion. I don't think it's at the same level as Pale Communion, but I think I like it more than Sorceress. It's got some gorgeous music on it and although sometimes I think the songs go a bit long and meander, overall, it's strong. I really like it and I applaud Mikael for having the balls to ditch the death metal.