Interview with Timo Kotipelto - Metal Realm

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Cristiane
Interview with Timo Kotipelto - Metal Realm

Post by Cristiane » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:23 pm

Well... as Menelaos asked, here's a new thread for the interview.

Interview with Timo Kotipelto
By Menelaos Megariotis

You all know that Timo Kotipelto has left Stratovarius a few months ago. Most of you know that the Finnish vocalist was working on his personal project, Kotipelto, even before his break up with Strato. Many of you know that his newest work, which came out in late Spring, is a killer power metal album! But if you wanna know more, I suggest you read carefully the following lines!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Timo! How're you doing? So, would you like to begin this interview by sharing your latest news with us?

Hi! I just came back from Italy a couple of days ago. I was doing some autograph sessions and also sang some Iron Maiden covers with the local Maiden cover band.

So, brand new (second) album for Kotipelto. And it was quite a step forward I have to add! I must admit that I didn't expect such a good work!! But what do you think about your new work, in comparison with the previous one?

Well, the biggest difference are the lyrics. The first one was a concept album and this one is not. Music might also be a bit heavier and sad compared to Waiting for the Dawn.

Do you think that, having departed from Stratovarius, and having more time to work with your solo project was the main reason for this improvement?

Could be. Also it might me natural development. At least I hope so. I mean, I am looking forward to my next album (whenever that will be) that it will be even better. I believe I will get better composer the more I compose...

So, I'm afraid I'll have to ask a few things about this. First of all, how would you compare your new album to the latest (or in fact any) Stratovarius release? Do you think it sounds close to that style?

Not much. My voice is there but Coldness is based more on my influences from the 80?s heavy metal. It's slower, rougher and more classic metal. Some songs could have been on Strato album.

By the way, will you actually perform the Stratovarius gigs arranged for this Summer? I mean, I think all of you (the ex-members and the remaining ones) had agreed in doing so, but after the attack to Timo Tolkki I don't really know if these shows will be cancelled or not...

We will play. If Tolkki can hold him self together. He was in a hospital because of his manic-depression but I heard he has proper medication, so I think they will happen.

I remember I had met you in Athens for an interview about a year ago, for the promotion of the new (then) Stratovarius album. It was quite obvious that you were feeling a bit "pushed" by Timo Tolkki as far as your freedom to express yourself (I mean musically) in the band. Do you think that's the case in most bands, or was it this way with Stratovarius only?

It's the case in some bands. Like in Stratovarius. In Maiden other player can also compose, not only Harris. Even though he is the producer...

Last question about this period: Do you feel "blessed or cursed" to spend these years with Stratovarius?

Well, both. More blessed. I have 95% good memories. And I try to forget the bad ones.

So, to the new album again! First off, do you see Kotipelto as a totally personal project or more like a band with a steady line up etc?

It's somewhere in between. It's a band but not with a stable line up. I just want to have these guys in band because they are excellent musicians but also very good friends of mine!

Is this your main priority now?

At the moment yes.

In your debut album I remember you had been influenced (as for the lyrics) from Ancient Egyptian myths & life. What's the new album's lyrics influenced by?

My own life. And how I felt last autumn.

Is there any concept running through the album?

No concept.

How do the lyrics of the album relate with the (beautiful) cover picture and the title?

They all fit together. The cover is describing of leaving something behind. I had the idea of it when I wrote the lyrics on two different cottages which are located by my old hometown Lappajärvi. I also send Mattias (cover artist) some pictures which were taken of that lake by my father.

Musically, I find "Coldness" to be much more mature than your debut. I think that the songs now have more to say and moreover I think you've done a better job with the vocals. I liked that you didn't actually overdo it with the falsetto... What's your opinion?

I agree. I composed the vocal lines a little bit lower than in the past, intentionally, especially compared to Stratovarius. I got a little bit bored in singing very high vocals. But Tolkki always wanted me to sing very high even though I think my voice sounds much better if it's in a little bit lower register. (en. I couldn't agree more)

So, you've been working with two huge metal labels in the last years: Nuclear Blast and Century Media. First of all, were you satisfied with both them?

They are both good labels.

Do you find any deference in the style and "philosophy" of these two labels?

Not really now...

You've recently released a single from "Coldness", if I'm not mistaken... Will you also do a video for the track?

The video for the song Reasons is included on the album! Also, there is a documentary of making the album and the video.

Will you tour to promote the new album? What do your immediate plans look like?

I will start touring in July by making some summer festivals in Finland and Germany. I also talked today to my booking agency and the plan is to do an European tour in November. Let's see what happens.

So, what's the future for Kotipelto in general?

I will probably be quite busy until the end of the year. After that, I don't know.

Timo, thanks a lot for your time! I hope to see you again in Athens soon!

No problem! Efkharisto (en. "Thanks" in Greek)!
Lady Elecktra - Warrioress and Keeper of the Light of Booga

You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

timo the soulforged

Re: Interview with Timo Kotipelto - Metal Realm

Post by timo the soulforged » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:27 pm

emeis se eukaristoume!!!(we thank u in greece) :)
Gold-Booga.C-Guard

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:57 pm

I liked this interview.
TK has sure been busy doing his share of interviews!
Everyone wants to talk to "the Man"! ;)
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

antonio

Post by antonio » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:09 pm

this interview give me optimistic feelings for the stratoFuture..
do yo agree?
Rock and Roll.

timo the soulforged

Re: Re: Interview with Timo Kotipelto - Metal Realm

Post by timo the soulforged » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:44 pm

antonio wrote:
this interview give me optimistic feelings for the stratoFuture..
do yo agree?
totally :)
Gold-Booga.C-Guard

StratoHeart

Post by StratoHeart » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:56 pm

Ah! I (we) want to know about Stratovarius things! There's nothing new about it here!
I hope he new "Koti's interview" topic brings us some more solid information, and I think you hope it too.

Anyway, a good and interesting interview about Kotipelto and Coldness, though Timo didn't seem to be that interested to answer the questions.

Stratomano

Post by Stratomano » Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:25 am

stratovarius and kotipelto is = of

bruce dickinson and iron maiden(1994-1999):

question of time, father time heuheuhah
Stratovarius is the best!!!!

jean_luc_picard

Post by jean_luc_picard » Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:32 pm

when was this taken? It seems to me before the summer tour, am I right? ???
What are you going to do then?
Knock on the doors with your head, Peregrin Took!

Stratoviking

Post by Stratoviking » Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:17 pm

I think so
Fight fight for the things you
belive in, never give up
fly your own way!!!

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:25 am

Yep--it seems like an "older" interview.
Damn, I believe Koti has participated in more interviews this year than all his years in Strato combined!:eek: Seems like a new one every week! :)
But,thats really great! :)
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

skar

Post by skar » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:19 am

Last edited by skar on Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Se saatanan hurri on oikeasti juuri niin hieno mies kuin voi olettaa. Ei tosiaan lapsille sopiva, mutta kyllä muille. Ja hulluhan se on." (www.juho.com)