New Forum Layout

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
MAJINDIEGO
New Forum Layout

Post by MAJINDIEGO » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:13 pm

Well, it sucks!
it´s just like Blind Guardian´s...

Cristiane

Re: New Forum Layout

Post by Cristiane » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:19 pm

Hum... it's jusk like every other forum... course I rather the previous one, but let's wait...
Lady Elecktra - Warrioress and Keeper of the Light of Booga

You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MAJINDIEGO

Post by MAJINDIEGO » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:27 pm

What about avatars?
:cry:
Mine sure was the coolest!
:twisted:
And you´re right, now it turned into a common fórum...right when the previous were anything but that...
:(

StragOvariuS

Post by StragOvariuS » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:52 pm

seems so happy the forum now... :? like a baby-forum ahahhaha :D

Twilightsymphony

Post by Twilightsymphony » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:54 pm

I dont like it that much :?

I would prefer the old style, perhaps it can be adapted to this forum? Anyway i have selected the Soft Blue design which is ok, nothing special though.

I havent seen a topic with improvement ideas yet, so i will post it here, i hope someone important may read it :wink:

• Avatars are needed! I mainly recognize people by their avatar, its too much work to look at their names ;)
With this forum style it should be very easy to arrange for administrative users. So please :)

• Some people may like it. i dont:
There are too much categories i think. Why splitting the metal section from the offtopic section? It just needs more time to take a look. And i think that forum related categories like news and guidelines could be merged together.

The old board was more easy to overview...

Anyway, for the first hours it is running quite fast and stable, so this is ok.
I would like to know what happened with all the killfile and statistic stuff? Is it going to be renewed or no longer necessary?

EDIT: And my post count decreased, is this because old topics were deleted or some kind of bug? Not that important though 8)
Last edited by Twilightsymphony on Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cristiane

Post by Cristiane » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:02 pm

I agree for the avatar stuff, though I never used mine here... I recognize people by their avatars...

I don't know about the killfile and so on, but I lost all my pms... not that important, but I lost it anyway.

You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

StratoHeart

Post by StratoHeart » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:17 pm

Yes, it sucks... the old forum was unique, a little bit dark, and this new completely average... there are millions of forums like this on the web.

Reaper

Post by Reaper » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:29 pm

I hate the new layout... From the baby blue color to the missing features (like the avatar), I just hate it. phpBB sucks!

Cristiane

Post by Cristiane » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:40 pm

StratoHeart wrote:Yes, it sucks... the old forum was unique, a little bit dark, and this new completely average... there are millions of forums like this on the web.
That's my point too... every forum I see nowadays are like this one. I chose the black layout, I think it's better than that ridiculous baby blue...
if you don't know how to choose the layout, go to Profile and see Board Layout.

Anyway I think we'll have to wait, maybe they can bring the previous layout here...

NordicStorm

Post by NordicStorm » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:43 pm

What's more important, the looks of the forum or the textual content of the forum? ;)

That said, please do turn on avatars and the old color scheme would be nice....
Give me liberty, or give me cake!

Laaka

Post by Laaka » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:25 pm

No avatars, that sucks, But I like the layout, It's like Sonatas.

MAJINDIEGO

Post by MAJINDIEGO » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:41 pm

But to think about it, this "type" of forum is better, as it is updated and is from a younger generator...i guess the old dark-blue skin would be enough for our spectations...
By the grace of God Almighty,
And the pressures of the marketplace
The human race have civilized itself...
...it´s a miracle.

streakchic

Post by streakchic » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:10 pm

I chose the black layout, I think it's better than that ridiculous baby blue...
That's what I just did. I guess I'm not too fond of light colors.

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:14 pm

Hello there,

The good thing is I can post again with this new layout. It must have something to do with the cookies or I don't know what, but at least it works. Now, let's post up a cool avatar, and we're in business...

Cheers,

Damien

Administrator
Administrator

Post by Administrator » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:19 pm

You will have your dark blue theme hopefully soon. And hopefully we can get you something even more than just dark blue theme.

It was a conscious choice from my part to make the default theme this color. I for one also know that light blue definately ain't no heavy metal color but since the past few months have been so depressing in Stratocamp I thoughted that let's go for the light this time.

There should be few dark themes (like few of you have already chosen) available in your own profile so perhaps you should change to one of them until we get the proper themes out.

Thank you for the understanding.

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:40 pm

Administrator wrote:You will have your dark blue theme hopefully soon. And hopefully we can get you something even more than just dark blue theme.

It was a conscious choice from my part to make the default theme this color. I for one also know that light blue definately ain't no heavy metal color but since the past few months have been so depressing in Stratocamp I thoughted that let's go for the light this time.

There should be few dark themes (like few of you have already chosen) available in your own profile so perhaps you should change to one of them until we get the proper themes out.

Thank you for the understanding.
Don't worry about it too much. I think it looks great and it works just fine. It looks... what's the proper term... "translucent".

Cheers,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

cliff

Post by cliff » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:52 pm

Administrator wrote: light blue definately ain't no heavy metal color but since the past few months have been so depressing in Stratocamp I thoughted that let's go for the light this time.
Sad but true about the Stratocamp thing :cry:
It was a great idea from You to choose this light blue color for this reason.
Keep the faith in the new forum :wink:
<b>This is wrong</b>

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:56 pm

cliff wrote:
Administrator wrote: light blue definately ain't no heavy metal color but since the past few months have been so depressing in Stratocamp I thoughted that let's go for the light this time.
Sad but true about the Stratocamp thing :cry:
It was a great idea from You to choose this light blue color for this reason.
Keep the faith in the new forum :wink:
Yes, and it is much more legible, too.
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

HymnToLife

Post by HymnToLife » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:13 pm

test test
Unbelivibrou!!!!!!!!!!! hehehehhe

Reaper

Post by Reaper » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:25 pm

One good thing however, now you can upload images/files directly from your PC. A nice touch.

Cristiane

Post by Cristiane » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:33 pm

Reaper wrote:One good thing however, now you can upload images/files directly from your PC. A nice touch.
Agreed... much better now... :D

Twilightsymphony

Post by Twilightsymphony » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:57 pm

I write everything i dont like in here, so here is my next suggestion:

I tried to do it and didnt see a possibility, my error if i was just too blind. I think the possibility of opening polls in other sections/by users may be useful.
Perhaps not in the StratoDiscussion, as there are already enough Best Of Topics, but i think its sometimes quite useful... ;)

About the avatars which are linked from other pages: Those seem to be free of size restrictions. I dont want to spoil anyones sense of appearance. But i think modem users wont really enjoy this, Perhaps limiting to 10kb and 64x64 (save the layout!) would be enough for most avatars.. :err:

And thanks for saving my favourite smiley " :err: " 8)
Delusions Of Grandeur

cliff

Post by cliff » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:39 pm

Twilightsymphony wrote:But i think modem users wont really enjoy this, Perhaps limiting to 10kb and 64x64 (save the layout!) would be enough for most avatars.. :err:
I have a modem connection myself and I do agree that big avatars can be a problem.
I think 10Kb and 100x100 would be a great maximum. I suggested the idea to Fred.

One problem in my opinion is that there will always be some users who would add huge pictures in their signatures (isn't it, Browneyedgirl ? :lol:)
I don't think that PhpBB can limit the size of these pictures. I don't even think you can disabled pictures (or HTML) in signature... maybe ?
<b>This is wrong</b>

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:54 pm

I absolutely love phpbb forums and it's about time Stratoforum uses one ... It's the best forum platform available.

Edit: I have a problem with signature, for some reason it is not shown and it is less than 150 letters ...
Last edited by Shurik on Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:03 pm

Few questions/suggestions:

1) What is the reason for not allowing polls in all sections and why can't we post anything in polls forum, even replies to topic with poll?

2) Are cyrillic or any other non latin fonts allowed on "Discussions in other languages" forum?

3) The aforementioned forum says that it is not moderated, but administrator and Liina are listed as mods :) Since the majority of that forum posters speaks either Spanish or Portuguese, wouldn't it be nicer to appoint one Spanish and one Portuguese speaking persons as mods there?

Taim

Post by Taim » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:43 pm

OK, new forum sucks.
It's too bright, and layout is plainly BAD.

There are too many categories or I just get lost because of layout.
I'm loosing intrest even more now.

Administrator
Administrator

Post by Administrator » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:00 pm

Taim wrote:OK, new forum sucks.
It's too bright, and layout is plainly BAD.

There are too many categories or I just get lost because of layout.
I'm loosing intrest even more now.
Bye bye then. You know your are free to leave whenever you want :wink: No seriously of course I don't want you to leave.

But if you would take the time to read Forum News, you would see that you can change your forum theme from your own Profile and there are for instance one pitch black theme also.

Twilightsymphony

Post by Twilightsymphony » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:35 pm

Administrator wrote: Bye bye then. You know your are free to leave whenever you want :wink: No seriously of course I don't want you to leave.

But if you would take the time to read Forum News, you would see that you can change your forum theme from your own Profile and there are for instance one pitch black theme also.
There is still the problem with the categories :wink:
Would be cool to have the same like on the old board, i always liked the strato board because it was small and easy to overview :)
Delusions Of Grandeur

Administrator
Administrator

Post by Administrator » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:39 pm

Twilightsymphony wrote:There is still the problem with the categories :wink: Would be cool to have the same like on the old board, i always liked the strato board because it was small and easy to overview :)
Ok I will do this. I will put a poll concerning this issue now to the Poll Board. It will remain there for 3 days and if the majority feel that we have too many categories, I will shrink the forum.

Fair enough?

Twilightsymphony

Post by Twilightsymphony » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:49 pm

Yeah thats cool. Thanks :D
Delusions Of Grandeur