Question for Nightwish Fans

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
StratoHeart
Question for Nightwish Fans

Post by StratoHeart » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:21 pm

:?:
Hello everybody!

I downloaded from Kazaa a Nightwish song, which was named Nightwish - Nemo (1), but I guess it not the first song of the ep. The voice is by the bassist in the entire song (great singer, btw), and it's like 3/4 at the verses and bridge and 4/4 at the chorus. And it's very fast.

I would like to know which hell of song is that, cause I can't find its lyrics and even its name on the web.

Could you, WishManiacs, help me?

MaFiaBoY

Re: Question for Nightwish Fans

Post by MaFiaBoY » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:34 pm

Maybe you could upload the file so we can listen to it.

cliff

Post by cliff » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:37 pm

StratoHeart wrote::?:
I downloaded from Kazaa a Nightwish song, which was named Nightwish - Nemo (1), but I guess it not the first song of the ep.
I don't have the EP (thankfully !) but maybe you can try to listen to the samples and recognize your song there :
http://www.fnac.com/Shelf/article.asp?P ... nClick=yes
<b>This is wrong</b>

HymnToLife

Post by HymnToLife » Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:21 am

hello Stratoheart!
Maybe is Planet Hell, but in this song the basist sing something like 70, 80 % not it all. I dont know so well nightwish new cd

Tetsuo

Post by Tetsuo » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:07 pm

The song you just downloaded is Planet Hell. Nemo is more of a midpaced song with a piano intro and Tarja singing the whole song.

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:48 pm

StratoHeart wrote:The voice is by the bassist in the entire song
This is definitely not Planet Hell...

NordicStorm

Post by NordicStorm » Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:53 pm

If the bassist sings the whole song, it might possibly be his other band, Tarot.
Give me liberty, or give me cake!

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:54 pm

Or some cover song they did. But I think they played covers only live :/

Twilightsymphony

Post by Twilightsymphony » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:23 pm

MaFiaBoY wrote:Or some cover song they did. But I think they played covers only live :/
They habe released some few covers already...
Delusions Of Grandeur

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:30 pm

Twilightsymphony wrote:
MaFiaBoY wrote:Or some cover song they did. But I think they played covers only live :/
They habe released some few covers already...
So maybe our mysterious song is one of them...

Twilightsymphony

Post by Twilightsymphony » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:33 pm

I was talking in general i think, so i dont think this one song is a Nightwish song. It may really be a track from his other band.. how was it called? Tarot i think, but i am not sure..

EDIT: havent seen nordics post :roll:
Delusions Of Grandeur

ElDiablo

Post by ElDiablo » Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:24 pm

I would also say that it's a song from Marco Hietala's own band Tarot.
If you could write some of the lyrics here I could identify the song for you.
'Religion is the most malevolent of all mind viruses' - Arthur C. Clarke

StratoHeart

Post by StratoHeart » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:00 am

Does Tarot play melodic metal?

Reaper

Post by Reaper » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:30 pm

I like Nightwish because of Tarja's voice. The bassist's voice isn't very appropiate for Nightwish, but it's just right for Tarot or Sinergy...
Like the Phoenix I rise...

Twilightsymphony

Post by Twilightsymphony » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:46 pm

Reaper wrote:I like Nightwish because of Tarja's voice. The bassist's voice isn't very appropiate for Nightwish, but it's just right for Tarot or Sinergy...
I love his voice, and i think he gives a great contrast to Tarja, on the last 2 cds i liked most the songs were both were singing, like Wish I Had An Angel, Dead To The World, Slaying the dreamer etc... way better than Tuomas (?) on their first cd ;)

My opinion of course :D
Delusions Of Grandeur

ElDiablo

Post by ElDiablo » Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:32 pm

StratoHeart wrote:Does Tarot play melodic metal?
Well it depends how you explain the term "melodic metal" Are they melodic? Yes they are. Do they fall into the same genre than Stratovarius? Well, some bits here and there, but mainly they play the good old heavy metal, with progressive and power elements. Do they have clear male vocals? Yes they do, and they simply rule.

But the best way to idnetify a certain song is the lyrics if one can't hear the song.
'Religion is the most malevolent of all mind viruses' - Arthur C. Clarke

StratoHeart

Post by StratoHeart » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:42 pm

To be dead honest, as I never was in all my life, I can read and write in english with no problems (well... almost with no problems), but I cannot understand what people sing just for hearing the song, I must read the lyrics... :oops: I will get there someday, but not yet.
That's why I would like to know what is the damned name of this song, so I can scream with Hietala.

I just could understand that the chorus starts with some "Come with me", or "Go with me". But now that you said that maybe it's not Nightwish, I'm lost.... just remember: the song is 3/4 at the verses and bridge and back to 4/4 at the chorus.

Anyway, thank you for helping me so far.

Twilightsymphony

Post by Twilightsymphony » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:02 am

ZlotnikTheTroll wrote:Unfortunately Nightwish has sold out.
Disagree. They arent more commercial or more easylistening, or whatever than before. Nemo is quite MTV compatible, true. But i still think that they are writing the music they want to. And just because they are played on TV it doesnt make them any more commercial, imo...

And they are played on tv in finland for quite a while if i remember right. I dont think that they suddenly realised that they can be more successful .. and.. stuff.
Delusions Of Grandeur

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:14 am

ZlotnikTheTroll wrote:Unfortunately Nightwish has sold out, they are now officialy MTV METAL (they were played on MTV what a disgrace for metal) Also their new cd is not as good as their first, and I always said that that kind of vocal doesn't belong in there. Good vocal, just doesn't belong in there sry.
So if one day the Black Diamond video gets played on MTV, you're gonna say this song absolutely sucks and it's a shame for metal ?

MAJINDIEGO

Post by MAJINDIEGO » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:49 am

maybe they quite didn´t sold out...but seeing them on Mtv, surrounded by those empty-headed-wanna-be-metalheads, it just breaks my heart...
The other day I was fixing a Nevermore album filled with scratches in a store, and one groupie, with a Nightwish T-Shirt came to me and asked me if it was Metallica... :roll:
By the grace of God Almighty,
And the pressures of the marketplace
The human race have civilized itself...
...it´s a miracle.

Twilightsymphony

Post by Twilightsymphony » Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:27 am

MAJINDIEGO wrote:maybe they quite didn´t sold out...but seeing them on Mtv, surrounded by those empty-headed-wanna-be-metalheads, it just breaks my heart...
Some weeks ago they played here in Germany on Top of the Pops (this show is total crap here), i didnt see it, but i heard that they (especially Tuomas) seemed to be very unlucky and/or embarrassed, so i think this is a pro argument for them :)
Delusions Of Grandeur

MAJINDIEGO

Post by MAJINDIEGO » Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:46 am

"Top on Pops"...gosh, i could figure it by the name itself...
:lol:
By the grace of God Almighty,
And the pressures of the marketplace
The human race have civilized itself...
...it´s a miracle.

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:43 am

Twilightsymphony wrote:Some weeks ago they played here in Germany on Top of the Pops (this show is total crap here)
Thin show is total crap here in France too... Actually I think it's crap anywhere :p

Reaper

Post by Reaper » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:54 pm

I also noticed that Nightwish listners aren't necessary metal at heart...
Like the Phoenix I rise...

StratoHeart

Post by StratoHeart » Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:32 pm

Lucky guys for havgin a video being played on MTV. Luckly they are playing some metal video, as they played Hunting High and Low, Kiss of Judas and Eagleheart. Just hear Once and you will see that the other songs are heavy and NOT commercial. Actually almost every metal band have 1 or 2 songs in the albums for playing on radios and MTV. Marketing. And, since they don't change the course of its music, they're right. Let's spread metal music for new ears.

StratoHeart

Post by StratoHeart » Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:45 pm

Reaper wrote:I also noticed that Nightwish listners aren't necessary metal at heart...
No, guy. How do you calculate if someone is metal "at heart" or not? For having all the Iron Maiden EPs, for having all Black Sabbath boots with Ozzy, for having Screaming for Vengeance untouchable since it was released, or what? Don't say things like this. There is not a Book of Metal Rules, where is written how you must live, what you must hear, how you must seem for being a true headbanger. At the end, we all hear metal just because we LOVE it, and it doesn't mean I cannot hear any other kind of sound. Everyone who likes any metal band, even if just ONE band, is metal at heart, because there is a some metal inside it.

Radicalism is dead. Metal music and Metal listeners evolved, let's open our minds.

LittleHarry

Post by LittleHarry » Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:53 pm

yeah---4example i can´t stand Judas Priest,iron Maiden and Sabbath...but I listen to 1000 other metal bands....does that mean i am not metal at heart? :(

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:54 pm

LittleHarry wrote:yeah---4 example i can´t stand Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Sabbath... but I listen to 1000 other metal bands... does that mean i am not metal at heart?
No, of course not. This is what is called evolution. Even though Judas Priest might have been innovative in their day, they have become a caricature of themselves with their studs and leather. They are great musicians, though, especially the guitar players. I don't think I've ever seen a better guitar tandem, with the possible exception of Chris de Garmo and Michael Wilton from Queensrÿche. But I don't like the Judas Priest studio sound: the guitars sound much too thin, which is a real shame because KK Downing and Glenn Tipton sound much better at soundchecks. Also, the sci-fi sound effects are silly (listen too "Metal Gods", with one of the band members shaking cutlery on a tray to get the marching robot sound, and you'll know what I mean).

Iron Maiden had their moments, if Nicko could keep up with Steve Harris' galloping bass, but some of their songs are a bit pretentious and boring. Actually, their short songs are among their best material ("Wasted Years", "Can I Play With Madness", and "Aces High"). Bruce Dickinson's voice is phenomenal; I can't wait to hear Iron Maiden do a cover version of O-zone's "Dragostea Din Tei" (Maaiiahee, maaiiahoo...)

Black Sabbath is not very good, I'm afraid. They are only interesting from a historical point of view. According to some , they were the first heavy metal band, and that might just be true, if one considers Led Zeppelin not entirely metal. The raw and stupid yet very effective Black Sabbath sound epitomized heavy metal with its nihilistic approach to artistry, an attitude which was later appropriated by amongst others the black metal community. There is a distinct overlap between a Judas Priest song like "Breaking the Law" and the Black Sabbath anthem "Paranoid" - both songs deal with the perennial problems of the young urban misfit - and black metal essentially embraces the same attitude, although it tends to shroud sincere emotions in pagan mythology, pretence, and fantasy.

It remains to be discussed, however, whether these themes constitute the essence of heavy metal, or whether they are just one aspect of a much broader and richer spectrum of hard music.

Cheers,

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

Twilightsymphony

Post by Twilightsymphony » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:20 pm

Damien Thorn wrote: I can't wait to hear Iron Maiden do a cover version of O-zone's "Dragostea Din Tei" (Maaiiahee, maaiiahoo...
I hate you :lol:

Disagree btw, i think that the old Sabbath Albums are genius and i think that they had a huge influence on many metal bands... Paranoid isnt a very great song, and surely not representive, listen to The Warning, Wheels Of Confussion or War Pigs. There are so many influences that still many bands have in their sound. in means of atmosphere and playing.
Delusions Of Grandeur

StratoHeart

Post by StratoHeart » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:59 pm

Damien Thorn wrote: It remains to be discussed, however, whether these themes constitute the essence of heavy metal, or whether they are just one aspect of a much broader and richer spectrum of hard music.
Where the hell is the thumbup?