Stratovarius Community
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Strato metal

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stratovarius Community Forum Index -> Stratovarius and related bands talk in English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beast_Pete

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Strato metal Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I post a new topic again after a long pause.
I've always been wondering about strato's real genre, which is very hard to work out. They play a very powerful and melodic metal at the speed of light. Their music is sometimes symphonic and of course very progressive.

My problem is: it's too long to utter. Why not have a new genre called: Strato metal?

Your thoughts about it?

Electric Eye

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Beast_Pete wrote:
My problem is: it's too long to utter. Why not have a new genre called: Strato metal?

What for? Why do you need a definition? What is the idea of pigeonholeing music? Your description is quite right and full, but defining music by only one world or term might be affected and lead to mistakes. For me it's simple - I don't liesten to the different bands, because they play in particular style, but I check their music and then I know if I like them or not.

BTW - Strato metal is of course the best description, but right only for this band. Do you think that other bands would like to be described by this term? Then it's obvious that they copy Stratovarius and are not original. Artist don't like when you compare them to the other ones, so I think no one would admit playing Strato metal...

Elazul
USER_AVATAR_REMOTE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I mean when you like the music of a band,
then you need no description for any
style or something.

You only like it and hear it.

Electric Eye

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Elazul wrote:
mean when you like the music of a band,
then you need no description for any
style or something.

You only like it and hear it.

That's right. Description is an artificial term created by journalist, shopkeepers, etc. but fans knows exactly what they wand, so they don't need any terms...

Beast_Pete

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Strato metal is for bands, who you like, because it sounds like Stratovarius. But it don't have to be the same. Imagine someone having the same voice as Kotipelto. It's impossible.

Taim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

For me Stratovarius pretty well feats to typical Melodic Power Metal Neutral
With some progressive elements of course, but not that big that it would make them hard do clasify.

Beast_Pete

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Power and melodic are the two main genres. But their power is very fast, so it's power-speed. And they have a little symphony and progressivity.

Electric Eye

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

maybe scout metal ? Wink

Maka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

for me, all those kind of description are useless... metal is just one... of course you can distinguish heavy metal and clasic... but no more

browneyedgirl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I just know that I like Strato's music, and thats all that really counts, but if you want to get picky, I guess Strato can be classed as a Metal/Speed/Progressive/Symphonic Metal band.

Taim

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Beast_Pete wrote:
Power and melodic are the two main genres. But their power is very fast, so it's power-speed. And they have a little symphony and progressivity.

Gosh, you really find a point in deviding metal or whatever to so many genres. You would have problem to find a band that plays only ONE kind of 'metal'. Of course you can say it's progresice-power-symphonic-melodic- speed-true metal. But what's the point, it's just Stratovarius playing good metal Wink

Twilightsymphony

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

"true norsk arysk blakk metal"? Laughing

I would consider them melodic metal, and there arent that much progressive elements...

StratoHeart
USER_AVATAR_REMOTE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Or maybe just Heavy Metal...?
Rolling Eyes

Labels suck

Alchemist
USER_AVATAR_REMOTE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

For me it´s hard to define this kind of metal- music, in general I would say symphonic metal, but, ehhh, Stratovarius better Strato-music or something Laughing

Beast_Pete

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Taim wrote:
Beast_Pete wrote:

Gosh, you really find a point in deviding metal or whatever to so many genres. You would have problem to find a band that plays only ONE kind of 'metal'. Of course you can say it's progresice-power-symphonic-melodic- speed-true metal. But what's the point, it's just Stratovarius playing good metal Wink

Yep, you're right. BTW, what is true metal? I don't really know, what it's supposed to be.

Twilightsymphony

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Beast_Pete wrote:
Taim wrote:
Beast_Pete wrote:

Yep, you're right. BTW, what is true metal? I don't really know, what it's supposed to be.

Sometimes classic metal bands are called true metal, or heavy metal. But mainly bands like Manowar/Judas Priest/Sacred Steel/Majesty/Metallium/Hammerfall and so on are called true metal, in reaction to their *cough* boring, cheesy, plateful lyrics..

Maka

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

mmmm is just metal...

antonio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

power/melodic/speed/symphonic/prog/ ...........

simply 'varius

johnny

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Coz they are just a good european power band ... simle things

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Twilightsymphony

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

StratoHeart wrote:
Or maybe just Heavy Metal...?
Rolling Eyes

Labels suck

On the other hand Cannibal Corpse are metal and Stratovarius are too, yet i wouldnt necessarily say that they are too similar...

Although many bands dont really fit in the categories, it is still a way to give someone a description of the music. "Metal" isnt that precise at all Wink

Taim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

btw way the word 'true' is extremly hilarious Razz

Beast_Pete

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Yes, true is a little bit overweening. I would say ancient or original. But original seems to be overweening as well. Confused

Toldo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

That's what Jens said about the Episode album:
"My first record with this brilliant Finland-based melodic power metal band."
I think that's a good answer ^^

Beast_Pete

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Toldo wrote:
That's what Jens said about the Episode album:
"My first record with this brilliant Finland-based melodic power metal band."
I think that's a good answer ^^

Yep, Finish metal. Very Happy We call this kind of metal the same here in Hungary. Why didn't I first post this? Razz

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Stratovarius Community Forum Index -> Stratovarius and related bands talk in English All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum