Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
dirge
Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by dirge » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:53 pm

exe knight wrote:Though I'll get everyone channeling their hate towards me,

rather not.
I'm with you on this.

tennent's

Post by tennent's » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:33 pm

hiro23 wrote: Please keep the Stratovarius name guys, Stratovarius is more then just a band name it's something we fans have grown to love and would like to see continue on.
Most of the fans agree with you, Hiro23, and...me too.
Besides that, last chapters with TT were not so decorous...so it's necessary a new album bringing back (at the top) a glorious name!

Raven

Post by Raven » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:57 pm

Stratovarius is the only right choice.

That's what you are guys!

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:53 pm

tennent's wrote:
hiro23 wrote: Please keep the Stratovarius name guys, Stratovarius is more then just a band name it's something we fans have grown to love and would like to see continue on.
Most of the fans agree with you, Hiro23, and...me too.
Besides that, last chapters with TT were not so decorous...so it's necessary a new album bringing back (at the top) a glorious name!
I agree, we should all give this line up a chance and see what they can do as Stratovarius.
Raven wrote:Stratovarius is the only right choice.

That's what you are guys!
Amen to that, Stratovarius under any other name just wouldn't feel right
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:07 pm

I agree, we should all give this line up a chance and see what they can do as Stratovarius.

If it's a new lineup that we need to give a chance as stratovarius, how is this stratovarius?

What makes stratovarius? 3 of these members have played in kotipelto. The first commercial album that a current member has played on is the 4th album. 2 of the members have not played on any albums. The band is going from one composer to four composers. The only reason they can make the choice is because the name was given to them.

The most I can say is that I think it's the bands choice that matters most and people can call them whatever they want. It would be comical if someone were to actually feel bad or angry about the name they choose; it's not that big a deal. The name debate can be kept to numbers or emotions since it's just fun.

Verdades Parias

Post by Verdades Parias » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:15 am

icecab21 wrote:

If it's a new lineup that we need to give a chance as stratovarius, how is this stratovarius?

What makes stratovarius? 3 of these members have played in kotipelto. The first commercial album that a current member has played on is the 4th album. 2 of the members have not played on any albums. The band is going from one composer to four composers. The only reason they can make the choice is because the name was given to them.

The most I can say is that I think it's the bands choice that matters most and people can call them whatever they want. It would be comical if someone were to actually feel bad or angry about the name they choose; it's not that big a deal. The name debate can be kept to numbers or emotions since it's just fun.
Is a moral issue, for some people, Stratovarius is a band with unbreakable 5 members, (including Tolkki) funny to say that, Stratovarius not ended when Jari was kicked out...
For other ones, like me, a band (with a
membership "Stratovarius")CAN change members only if the replacement deserve his new position. Lauri and Matias have succeeded in filling the spaces incredible, even if they don't record anything yet.
In other hand, there are people (like Tolkki), who think that Stratovarius is a one man band...with a artificial mechanic orchesta Accompanying...but the real thing, is that the owner of Stratovarius, the name, the music, the art.....are the fans, why?...well, we feed Stratovarius, each member. each moment, all the fortune of their lifes depends always in how people respond to their 'artistic acts', so I think that we have morally the right of keep the name Stratovarius alive. It hurts so much, to kill a dream for us, just for an Ego speech, so i always support the STRATOVARIUS NAME!

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:42 am

Now tolkki has never said the band was just his.
The only constant the band has had is that tolkki has been on every album and composed all but a few songs. I wonder what kind of set lists they will put together. If they were to decide to drop big pieces of the history of the band and keep the name to me that would be strange.

miditek

Post by miditek » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:08 am

JensJohansson wrote:Well.... regarding that name ... Jörg suggests the name "killing an Arab" after the Cure song..
The Cure! That's a name I haven't heard in a long time- even knowing who they are belies my age.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:32 am

icecab21 wrote:Now tolkki has never said the band was just his.
The only constant the band has had is that tolkki has been on every album and composed all but a few songs. I wonder what kind of set lists they will put together. If they were to decide to drop big pieces of the history of the band and keep the name to me that would be strange.
I don't think so, I think they can still acknowledge that piece of history by adding some of the older songs into the set list
metal feeds the beast

Raven

Post by Raven » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:35 am

icecab21 wrote:I wonder what kind of set lists they will put together. If they were to decide to drop big pieces of the history of the band and keep the name to me that would be strange.
Now I don't understand you.

Tolkki himself have said many times, that he left the band.

And why would they drop Tolkki's songs away from the setlists? If they play those songs which were written by Tolkki, they also respect Tolkki's life work and his efforts to the band.

Metallica has changed its members, Helloween has changed its members, including Kiske and Hansen. There were also times when Dickinson wasn't on the Iron Maiden... I could carry on the list on and on.

Last years of the Stratovarius weren't so good and now I see that there's fresh talented line-up that could fix the bands broken shield.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:19 am

I said the part about the set list because if they pick a new name they are not attached to any history.

Now did any of those other bands continue with zero members from their first three cds and without the composer of all the cds but for a couple songs?

No matter what the name, this new group will be great and it seems to have great energy with it and great relationships.

It’s sort of a “How much reinvention warrants a new name”?

Same singer, different songwriter
Different singer, same songwriter

Is a band more of a composer and a band playing the songs of that composer together or a band that plays the songs of a composer with or without him?

They can both be right and hopefully people take this all in fun and decide to just have a good time no matter what the label.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:20 pm

icecab21 wrote:I said the part about the set list because if they pick a new name they are not attached to any history.

Now did any of those other bands continue with zero members from their first three cds and without the composer of all the cds but for a couple songs?

No matter what the name, this new group will be great and it seems to have great energy with it and great relationships.

It’s sort of a “How much reinvention warrants a new name”?

Same singer, different songwriter
Different singer, same songwriter

Is a band more of a composer and a band playing the songs of that composer together or a band that plays the songs of a composer with or without him?

They can both be right and hopefully people take this all in fun and decide to just have a good time no matter what the label.
That's understandable and I do know what your saying, I'm simply stating that if they do decide to carry on as stratovarius that there are ways of acknowledging it's history.
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:35 pm

For some of what I’m saying it was just to have fun be constrained. I did see that must people have that they wish for them to use the name and I was responding to those that think they must keep the same name. The band can be whatever someone wants in their heart, yet on paper people seem to give great flexibility between the thin line of band and commercial franchise.

I’ll is happy no matter what they use. I don't think that they really must pick either way. It’s perfectly reasonable to want them to use one or the other, just keeping that to a wish and not a demand will result in less disappointment if the bands choice is different. Call it whatever that should not stop people from having a great time sharing the music and the experiences.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:53 pm

That sounds reasonable, in the end it's really all about the music.
metal feeds the beast