The first "official" review

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
JensJohansson
Administrator
The first "official" review

Post by JensJohansson » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:56 am

http://www.bravewords.com/hardwares/1001449

It makes me happy, it's a bad omen if the first published review is horribly bad.

Hopefully more people will like it... but of course, not everyone will. That's how life is.

icecab21

Re: The first "official" review

Post by icecab21 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:08 am

cool review, what is he thinking about the lyric thing though?

Star_Ocean

Post by Star_Ocean » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:11 am

I don't think it's a negative review, which is good. In fact, they don't really state much of an opinion on it. :lol:

And the score is a 7.0/10. I don't know how that score is in Europe, but in a lot of places in the US, it is considered good. Not amazing, but good.

Metalcentral

Post by Metalcentral » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:30 am

Good review. I wouldn't call "Emancipation Suite Part 1" a ballad though..

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:52 am

7/10 is pretty good. What did they give the other StratoAlbums?

Reviews are more or less the reviewers opinion, so when they give mediocre scores its nothing to really take seriously. Reviewers try to be objective, but its the nature of reviews to give a heart-felt opinion.

I have read reviews where Elements got, like a 5/10. Some others gave a 8/10. So, review scores are just reference points, so to speak.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:55 am

more than a few of Timo Kotipelto’s lyrics seem to skewer his former bandmate, including ‘King Of Nothing’ (utilizing jackbooted marching sound effect), ‘Blind’ and the aforementioned Emancipations (“It’s time to break these chains and head to freedom. I will be free”).
That part seems so troll. I mean with King being about kings and wars of Sweden, tolkki hardly fits that description unless Jens somehow thinks that tolkki is the reincarnation of a Swedish king. With a song called emancipation, what does the guy expect the lyrics to have, and why would he assume it was something about the band?

Texidor

Post by Texidor » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:04 am

Metalcentral wrote:Good review. I wouldn't call "Emancipation Suite Part 1" a ballad though..
What is your review of the album! You know we are dying to know !
SHINE ON!

NightScreamer

Post by NightScreamer » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:27 am

because i have never heard it i always think of king of nothing with kiss of judas lyrics and tune:

the knight awaiiiiiits
the king of nooothiiiiiiing, holds me me once again

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:42 am

Every review is a bit on the bias side, however I agree with jens in the fact that if good reviews are outweighing the bad ones that is a good sign.
metal feeds the beast

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:12 am

icecab21 wrote:
more than a few of Timo Kotipelto’s lyrics seem to skewer his former bandmate, including ‘King Of Nothing’ (utilizing jackbooted marching sound effect), ‘Blind’ and the aforementioned Emancipations (“It’s time to break these chains and head to freedom. I will be free”).
That part seems so troll. I mean with King being about kings and wars of Sweden, tolkki hardly fits that description unless Jens somehow thinks that tolkki is the reincarnation of a Swedish king. With a song called emancipation, what does the guy expect the lyrics to have, and why would he assume it was something about the band?
The copies for the reviewers don't have lyric sheets, and apparently the information about who wrote what fell out from the promo copy sleeves.

You remembered the story of the Deluge of Poland, that's great :) The Polish leadership overreached and miscalculated heavily too. Their empire really was the one that was most heavily decimated...

Bathory Killcraft

Post by Bathory Killcraft » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:30 am

NightScreamer wrote:because i have never heard it i always think of king of nothing with kiss of judas lyrics and tune:

the knight awaiiiiiits
Ey Nightscreamer stop using my @#!!!@#@#avatar!
Black Metal is the game I play cos' no one shows me the right way...

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:36 am

The copies for the reviewers don't have lyric sheets, and apparently the information about who wrote what fell out from the promo copy sleeves.
I wonder what the guy will be thinking when he finds out who wrote what and the lyrics? It looks like everyone came up with some pretty interesting stuff.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:29 am

I think it's a very very good review. Damn, I can't wait to get the album! :? :? . This part is a complete hyyyppeeee!
Introducing virtually every tune, keyboardist Jens Johansson appears to have benefited most from the lineup shuffle, playing a more prominent role in the music. Greater use of backing vocals from other members too. The concluding ‘When Mountains Fall’ is a grand finale, complete with orchestral strings and acoustic guitar.
:!: :!: :!: :!:
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

Texidor

Post by Texidor » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:04 am

:luv1: I read the review and its getting more and more excited for this album! ALL HAIL POLARIS!
SHINE ON!

dupinguez

Post by dupinguez » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:14 am

I work myself for a french webzine : www.leseternels.net

How can I contact your new label (earMusic?) for reviewing Polaris?
Mad Butcher & Eternal Devastation
Worst of All Horrendous Post-Makers From Hell

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:50 pm

The review sounds great! I can't wait! This and the Heaven and Hell Album are my most anticipated albums of 2009!

Star_Ocean

Post by Star_Ocean » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:06 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:The review sounds great! I can't wait! This and the Heaven and Hell Album are my most anticipated albums of 2009!
I've heard the Heaven & Hell album (I got a promo because I write reviews for a local Newspaper and its website). And it is very good. A bit too slow, but anyone who enjoys the old school Sabbath Doom Metal will adore "The Devil You Know." 8)

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:05 pm

This year is going to kick ass when it comes to metal, I believe 2009 is THE year for metal.
metal feeds the beast

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:22 pm

Bathory Killcraft wrote:
NightScreamer wrote:because i have never heard it i always think of king of nothing with kiss of judas lyrics and tune:

the knight awaiiiiiits
Ey Nightscreamer stop using my @#!!!@#@#avatar!
He's not the only one!!!11!!11!111
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:23 pm

hiro23 wrote:This year is going to kick ass when it comes to metal, I believe 2009 is THE year for metal.
I agree completely on that!
8)
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:22 am

Star_Ocean wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:The review sounds great! I can't wait! This and the Heaven and Hell Album are my most anticipated albums of 2009!
I've heard the Heaven & Hell album (I got a promo because I write reviews for a local Newspaper and its website). And it is very good. A bit too slow, but anyone who enjoys the old school Sabbath Doom Metal will adore "The Devil You Know." 8)
Old Sabbath Doom Metal with Dio? :luv1: :luv1: :luv1: :luv1: :luv1: :luv1: :luv1: :luv1:

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:55 am

This is funny, seems a lot of people are using the same picture now :lol:

I've got a huge amount of albums I need to get this year.
metal feeds the beast

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:57 am

The Bathory army is taking over! :lol:

Bathory Killcraft

Post by Bathory Killcraft » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:33 am

NeverendingAbyss wrote:
He's not the only one!!!11!!11!111
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ahem... what is going on?! Seems like an organised conspiracy here...Hope not everyone in the forum turns up with a Bathory avatar now...though now that I think of it...how cool would that be!
Black Metal is the game I play cos' no one shows me the right way...

Star_Ocean

Post by Star_Ocean » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:17 pm

Old Sabbath Doom Metal with Dio?
It's not pure Doom Metal a la Warpigs, but it is definitely closer to that than say, The Mob Rules. Imagine a mixture of old school Sabbath with the Heaven & Hell album, with Dio's voice. :lol:

Anyways, is anyone getting a really happy and positive vibe from the sound clips? I am, and not just because of the music. Even if I end up not liking the music, it is still giving off a great vibe that is making me happy. :lol:

Burning Reflection

Post by Burning Reflection » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:38 pm

I think the review is written horribly. "Timo Tolkki the least loved or visible?" :? I like how he decides who is the most or least loved and how we will like it. And he calls the band finns when in fact only 60% of the band are finns.

Glad you're happy about the review though Jens.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:07 pm

Star_Ocean wrote:
Old Sabbath Doom Metal with Dio?
It's not pure Doom Metal a la Warpigs, but it is definitely closer to that than say, The Mob Rules. Imagine a mixture of old school Sabbath with the Heaven & Hell album, with Dio's voice. :lol:
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :luv1: :luv1: :luv1: :luv1: :luv1: :luv1:

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:22 am

I never really pay much attention to album reviews, they are nothing more than someone's personal opinion. Like hiro23 said, they will always be biased. Some of my favorite albums have got terrible reviews :lol: I mean really, who cares what some journalist who got their copy for free thinks?

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:25 am

What matters really is what the fans think and also what the band thinks.
You know you've got a great album if the majority of your fans have got a copy of it, you know you have a classic album if not only many of your fans have it but also some people who've never even heard of the band before.
metal feeds the beast

AMBR@BEC

Another Review

Post by AMBR@BEC » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:26 am

Well, my webmaster was true to his word and our review of Polaris has been published today.

So, check it out on BeyondEarCandy.com, and as soon as we get the real deal, we'll have the album on the radio as well. Hopefully, some recorded interviews too. Cheers!
“He who despairs of the human condition is a coward, but he who has hope for it is a fool” A. Camus

Beyond Ear Candy Metal Radio
beyondearcandy.com
Photos from 2008 Winter NAMM and Blog on Ben in Iraq on MySpace myspace.com/ambr_bec