Polaris - Your Review

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
RazielSR
Re: Polaris - Your Review

Post by RazielSR » Sun May 17, 2009 9:18 pm

Well, this is my review of this astonishing album called Polaris:

This album for me is a masterpiece, 10/10. And it is one of the best Stratovarius albums along with Fourth Dimension, Episode, and Visions. It is better than Destiny, Infinite, Elements and selftitled for me.

I think TT should be happy because it's clear that Jens and co. know A LOT how to make a Stratovarius album and add some new necessary fresh energies. HE shouldn't feel bad, because he will always be part of Stratovarius too.

The album has a lot of inspiration and good work.

- Deep Unknown: A prog power metal song with new and fresh energies, exactly the kind of changes that Stratovarius need. A really powerful and technically brilliant song. Stratovarius meets Symphony X. 9/10

- Falling Star: The first two or three times I heard the song...I said to myself...well this is one of the "weak" songs and it's normal, every album has some of them usually. But, now I'm amazed by the song. It has a wonderful central melody with a "retro" backing vocals and atmosphere. TK sings really really good in this song. 9/10

- King of Nothing: That song is one of the best songs of the album. Jörg and Jens are incredible in this song. I love the way Jens composed this song and the way he transmits the emotion and pain of the story behind the song. Brilliant. 10/10

- Blind: Typical Strato sound. Frantic and really fast. Jens shows us how to become a master using the keyboards. A perfect song for a concert. 10/10

- Winter Skies: This song is really emotional and beautiful. I think it is my favourite one. It's wonderful to listen Jens playing the piano and how Matias plays a great solo. For me this song is the best composition of the album. And, for one reason,this song is very very special to me. 10/10

- Forever is today: The new "Speed of light". That song is maybe the most representative song of the Stratovarius spirit. It's a gift to listen songs like this with the fantastic Jörg and Jens and to listen TK's vocals better than ever. MK absolutely amazing. Lauri's songs are really spectacular and it's as if he was in the band from the beginning. PERFECT for a concert. 10/10

- Higher we go: Happy metal song. Really happy song. Direct and easy, some kind of Stratovarius typical songs with a really elaborated solo. Perfect for a concert too. 8/10

- Somehow precious: A ballad. I'm not a big fan of ballads, if the ballad sounds cheesy. But this one does not sound cheesy. The guitar work is really fantastic and TK's voice too. Sounds as a very good and powerful ballad. I like it. 7,5/10

- Emancipation suite I - Dusk: This song makes me return to Episode times. One of the best compositions of the album too. Really dark and atmospherical song. That Lauri is a genius. I can see all the crowd singing....Eeeemaaancccciiiiipaaaaationnnnnn..... 10/10

- Emancipation suite II - Dawn: The perfect "nemesis" for the first part. Very instrumental song which is completely necessary to understand the first part. I love the bass work in this and the first part. 9/10

- When Mountains Fall: Oh...this song is pure melody. It's like a tale, a sad tale as me and my girlfriend were talking. The lyrics and sounds make you cry. It's a very beaufitul. I'd like to know what this song is about. I mean if it's something that Lauri suffered in real life. Anyway, I think it's better to keep it as a secret, and each one can make his own interpretation. 10/10

My rate of Polaris: 10.

I'm much more than happy with the album, I'm pretty happy. It's a perfect album and I just can't understand how it's possible cause Stratovarius suffered a lot this past year. You all can see how Jens, Kotipelto, Jörg, Lauri and Matias were working hard with the album cause the atmosphere was a bit strange.

I'm amazed by the album and I'm having fun like a child. So thank you guys, Stratovarius was not dead, Stratovarius will never die. Now it's time to enjoy the album and see these wonderful songs live mixed with the classical stuff, some new merchandise, etc, etc.

Wow, I remember now one year ago...it was all really terrible and dark. Now is wonderful and plenty of Polaris light. A masterpiece to me, a friend of my dear Stratovatius collection.

Regarding the members.

*TK: His wonderful and uncomparable voice is better than ever. It's clear now that he has improved a lot his low tones.

*Jens: He uses the keyboards more than ever, and that's the way it should be imo. Sounds fresh and we can feel and hear again that neoclassical sound that only Jens can make with that fidelity. It is the best keyboardist in the world.

*Jörg: WOW, Jorg's work in the album is tremendous. Double bass combined with a lot of rythms and power. Mighty Jörg is here with us again.

*Matias: This guy has incredible talent with the guitar. His wonderful solos make you understand that he is the perfect replacement for Tolkki. And it is a prog guy so you can expect really intrincate compositions and solos.

*Lauri: A big surprise to me. I didn't know that he was gifted too with that compositions skills. What wonderful songs can we expect from Lauri? Well, just have a look at his songs in Polaris. This guy knows how Stratovarius must sound. And as a bass player, is a really good one. There are very few bass players with that technique.

I'd like to thank Stratovarius all the work trying to keep the essence with a fresh and new energy. I'd like to thank Timo Tolkki too, you know, he is present in all the Stratovarius new albums too, in some way or another. Thank you all. The Stratovarius spirit will never die.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

Morgana

Post by Morgana » Mon May 18, 2009 6:32 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:Dear Morgana,
I'm not sure how I would rate your grasp of the English language, but it would not be 8/10.
Regards,
A10
It's not my native language dear :roll:

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Mon May 18, 2009 8:07 am

Morgana wrote:
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:Dear Morgana,
I'm not sure how I would rate your grasp of the English language, but it would not be 8/10.
Regards,
A10
It's not my native language dear :roll:
You don't say!!
I feel SO stupid right now :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Mon May 18, 2009 8:11 am

That's why we ask, we don't assume :D
metal feeds the beast

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Mon May 18, 2009 8:23 am

hiro23 wrote:That's why we ask, we don't assume :D
Good idea! I'll try right now.
Hiro23, how would you rate your ability to detect insincere, sarcastic responses on a scale of 1-10? :lol:

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Mon May 18, 2009 8:42 am

I'm detecting a ton right now smartass :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
metal feeds the beast

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Mon May 18, 2009 12:27 pm

Of course it's a mousterpiece!

Best regards from the bunk bed en route to London,

Irinia

Post by Irinia » Mon May 18, 2009 12:29 pm

JensJohansson wrote:Of course it's a mousterpiece!

Glad you agree with us that it's a masterpiece, Jens :D
Have a nice trip to London and tell Timo to get well soon :) I heard some rumors about a nasty cold that's possessed him.
Cheers :)

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Mon May 18, 2009 12:53 pm

:lol: :lol: that Jens is always in touch with us. It's really funny and we appreciate it a lot.

Well, and I hope Timo get well soon, uk people is really happy it seems with Strato.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

Syren.S

Post by Syren.S » Mon May 18, 2009 12:54 pm

do you mean monsterpiece? :lol:

goodluck with your tour, and all the upcoming gigs!
++The way that I feel is the way that I heal++

CES

Post by CES » Mon May 18, 2009 1:12 pm

Irinia wrote:

Glad you agree with us that it's a masterpiece, Jens :D
Have a nice trip to London and tell Timo to get well soon :) I heard some rumors about a nasty cold that's possessed him.
Cheers :)
It's no rumour. He was joking on stage that he might have swine flu and asked us to forgive him since he was throwing up just before the Strato set started.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Mon May 18, 2009 1:14 pm

But is Timo that ill? I mean, is really serious? The Uk gigs are in danger due to that or something?

Noxica

Post by Noxica » Mon May 18, 2009 1:19 pm

RazielSR wrote:But is Timo that ill? I mean, is really serious? The Uk gigs are in danger due to that or something?
He didn't look well at Wolverhampton (he told the crowd Jens has given him Swine Flu!), and it sounds like he's got worse since then, so who knows. I hope he gets through the gigs as I'm seeing them again tonight, but I'd rather he didn't kill himself in the process.

I'll see how he is tonight and report back. Maybe I should take him a hot water bottle and some Lemsip? :?
Tin coffepots, iron coffeepots
They're no use to me
If I can't have a proper cuppa coffee from a proper copper coffeepot
I'll have a cuppa tea!

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Mon May 18, 2009 1:24 pm

Oh no, then it's serious. Well, let's cross our fingers to see timo well again.

CES

Post by CES » Mon May 18, 2009 3:16 pm

RazielSR wrote:But is Timo that ill? I mean, is really serious? The Uk gigs are in danger due to that or something?
I imagine it's not that serious. I think that he was more ill last night because we had a bit of the old Scottish weather (read: cold and very wet)

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Mon May 18, 2009 3:36 pm

He looks like he feels a little bit better today!

Yeah there was some pretty horrible flu going thru the whole band, that's life. I don't know if it was swine flu. OINK!!!! :lol:

Greetings from the dressing room in London, a little bird twittered in my ear from the couch next to me that there might be a new Lauri video masterpiece coming quite soon.......

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon May 18, 2009 3:45 pm

JensJohansson wrote:

Yeah there was some pretty horrible flu going thru the whole band, that's life. I don't know if it was swine flu. OINK!!!! :lol:

Greetings from the dressing room in London, a little bird twittered in my ear from the couch next to me that there might be a new Lauri video masterpiece coming quite soon.......
SEE YOU TONIGHT! Glad to hear TK is better.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Hubble86

Post by Hubble86 » Mon May 18, 2009 3:48 pm

:lol: :lol: You mean Monstermouspiece ? Eating people??But first give them FLUUU???

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon May 18, 2009 3:48 pm

CES wrote:
I imagine it's not that serious. I think that he was more ill last night because we had a bit of the old Scottish weather (read: cold and very wet)
The weather's pretty crappy down here as well :roll:
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Mon May 18, 2009 4:22 pm

BIEN!!! So TK is getting better! and the rest too! you all were infected! :shock: Fucking flu!

haha we are gonna have new masterpiecelauri'sproductionsvideo soon...

Anyway, yes, that's true. In UK you have a terrible weather guys. I remember last summer in London with my girlfriend, wow you can have 4 different weathers in just one day :lol: :lol: .

symphox

Post by symphox » Mon May 18, 2009 4:57 pm

JensJohansson wrote:

Hey, happy to hear than Timo is better today, humm a new Lauri's video... wow it's true i's the Festival de Cannes :D :lol: !
I hope to see you in Hellfest :D

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon May 18, 2009 6:36 pm

It's dead studio mouse back from the grave flu, did nobody else catch Jens' joke?

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Mon May 18, 2009 8:17 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
metal feeds the beast

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Mon May 18, 2009 8:41 pm

Hey, Merry Xmas Jens and a Happy New Year!

celitus

Post by celitus » Tue May 19, 2009 1:33 am

I got Polaris last night at the Glasgow gig, and I have listened to it twice today. It is pretty amazing! Usually I am a big Dream Theater fan, but from what I have heard from the new DT album I dont think it will compare to Polaris, definatly my favourite album of this year so far. I love the new little progressive twists on alot of the songs. I am glad they were selling them at the gig so I could hear it sooner than its release date here. Chances are most stores in my area wont be stocking it :(

Last night at the glasgow gig when TK announced he was ill I was worried that it might affect his performance, but I have to say, he was incredible! He was joking saying he would pass out but if he had not said he was sick then you wouldnt have known. Incredible performances all around.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Wed May 20, 2009 3:28 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Morgana wrote:My estimate to this album is 8/10. Guys are attaboys, as opposed to "Nightwish" they hasn't soiled themselves in a new cast. Everything is fine and quality. Razz very very good.
Dear Morgana,
Regards,
A10
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

R.F.

Post by R.F. » Wed May 20, 2009 8:09 am

Definetely a good album. The best end to last year`s memorable events - finally we have two good bands instead of one.
Matias seems to be a fine replacement on guitar. Although we hear more sounds produced by Jens x_X on this album, the guitar part is as powerful as always been... well, not always actually. The greatest enlightment I`ve got after listening Polaris is this - Elements and black album really were bullshit =) well, at least from my point of view, but still - forget those albums. Stratovarius has produced the first really good album since Infinite. An event to celebrate))
About the songs - I liked those obviously concert things like Higher we go, Forever is today, Winter skies. Deep Unkown is a bit strange - still can`t catch the melody. And somewhere in the middle of this suddenly I suddenly thought that the player somehow became playing something from... Dream Theater? And that choir... Edenbridge?? Well, a very eclectic song.
Many of the songs represent some sort of Strato tradition. For example, Falling star reminds of Million light years away. When the mountains fall looks like an answer to Forever. The hero from Forever say that he "never stays anywhere" and the person from "When the..." claims that he (or probably she? +_+) "still searches for you". Probably we`ll hear some a song from the Forever-guy on the next album. Heh, as always I`m good at finding hidden meaning, especially there, where it does not exist...))

KcK

Post by KcK » Wed May 20, 2009 7:50 pm

I just got my copy of Polaris today (Limited Edition Digipack). I'm way too lazy to write a long review of anything so I just state my opinnion plain simply.
For me, this is the best Stratovarius album ever. And yeah I know that someone thinks now: "It's good but it's not better than Visions or Destiny or..." but hey, it's only my opinnion. It's not the universal truth ;) I just think that the lyrics and music are the top notch and there is no bad song in this album. If I would have to choose my 3 favourite song those would be Forever is today, Winter skies and When mountains fall.

So that's about it.
Forgive me my bad english.

Burning Reflection

Post by Burning Reflection » Wed May 20, 2009 8:04 pm

Rebel wrote:It's dead studio mouse back from the grave flu, did nobody else catch Jens' joke?
they're the legions of the mouses...back from the deeeaaaadd!

Ohhhhhhhh! :lol:

Bublix

Review

Post by Bublix » Thu May 21, 2009 3:50 pm

I bought Polaris today, and listened to it already for three times... Actually, It left me breathless. I´ve got no words to describe it. For almost all of the songs I´d give 5/5 points and to the others (Higher we go, Forever is today, When Mountains fall and Winter Skies) I´d give 6/5.... Well done.

Cheers from Czech Republic (hope to be at Masters of rock in CR to hear it live...)