Chorus when playing live...

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.

Would be cool if all the guys sing the chorus of the songs when they play live?

Yes.
52%
No.
48%

Total votes: 23

lalodrums2
Chorus when playing live...

Post by lalodrums2 » Mon May 25, 2009 4:59 pm

Hi STRATOVARIUS !!!!

Suggestion...

I just want to say a suggestion, I don't know what you guys think but personally I think that all of you guys have a great voice for the chorus in the songs, and you could improve (even more) the feeling of it if you all sing along with TK the chorus when playing live.

Why don't you all sing? I mean all of you guys with a microphone would be cool don't you think? Of course, to sing the chorus only, with that, the song improves a lot when you are listening to it I think :)

I watched that Lauri sometimes sings, but what about you Matias or Jens or maybe Jorg If it's possible? :)

:) :) :) :)

And now more with the new songs, where we have the chorus of all of this guys in the album...

Vocals from "Polaris" were made by...

Timo Kotipelto - vocal, back-vocal
Jens Johansson - keys, back-vocal
Matias Kupiainen - guitar, back-vocal
Lauri Porra - bass guitar, back-vocal

Guests:
Hepa Waara - back-vocal
Alexi Parviainen - back-vocal
Tipe Johnson - back-vocal
Tony Kakko - back-vocal

Mmmm...For instance...

Winter skies http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFQS10hZ_iM at minute 1:26 would be cool If all of you guys sing the chorus (in this case I understand that Matias is busy playing the solo).

Or...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1AIGkOGLJc&NR=1 Million light years away, this one has a great chorus that I think cannot be replaced by one voice (or two in the case of this video, where we can see Lauri only singing the backing vocals).

Or...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugFo9abL ... re=related Eagleheart, nobody but TK is singing.

Cheers! And have a great day everyone !!!! :)

STRATOVARIUS HIGHER YOU'LL GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :beer:

Noxica

Re: Chorus when playing live...

Post by Noxica » Mon May 25, 2009 5:01 pm

lalodrums2 wrote:If all of you guys sing the chorus (in this case I understand that Matias is busy playing the solo).

Pfft. If he can manage a waltz while playing the Attitude Medley, he can sing while doing that solo.

Multitasking ftw! :P
Tin coffepots, iron coffeepots
They're no use to me
If I can't have a proper cuppa coffee from a proper copper coffeepot
I'll have a cuppa tea!

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Mon May 25, 2009 5:09 pm

This would be veeeeeeeeeery unnecessary. I never had any problem with not having the backing-vocals on live-performances. I know that Tolkki did them sometimes but to me it doesn't really matter if they have them or not. They should focus on their instruments instead of doing some stupid backing-vocal stuff.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon May 25, 2009 5:18 pm

Not for a band like strato.
For Hammerfall it is necessary to have backing vocals live as they are a big part of many songs on records and live.
Take Last Man Standing for example.
That song lives through backing vocals.
Hammerfall has some sick backing vocal "choirs" on the records

KcK

Post by KcK » Mon May 25, 2009 7:55 pm

I think backing vocals are not so great idea... It works just fine as it is now...
Forgive me my bad english.

CES

Post by CES » Mon May 25, 2009 8:35 pm

At the gig I went to, Matias and Lauri provided backing vocals. Jorg would probably have trouble since he's on the drums and i'm not sure how many of you are aware of this, but drums are quite loud, loud enough that another mic is a no-go.

Skyggeboy

Post by Skyggeboy » Mon May 25, 2009 11:34 pm

Hell on. Stratos are doing very well with their current live performance. They don't have to be concentrated to those stupid backig vocals. But if their have to Lauri or Matias can do Tolkki's sections if it is neccessary.

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Mon May 25, 2009 11:50 pm

I loved the perfect combination TK + TT. They both have beautiful voices, I've always said that.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue May 26, 2009 12:23 am

Guys, it's never that simple.

I can't speak for Stratovarius, but in our band I do most of the backing vocals live and that's often pretty important our choruses are quite layered. The 'right' thing to do would be to sing the backing lines in the chorus but the simple fact is I am not a vocalist. I cannot sing to the same standard as our singer, especially not while playing, so sometimes I simply don't do the backing vocals in those songs.

I suppose it's not beyond the scope of imagination to think that Stratovarius do things like that for similar reasons.

Everything on stage happens (or not) for a reason.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

lalodrums2

Post by lalodrums2 » Tue May 26, 2009 1:41 am

Lurdi wrote:I loved the perfect combination TK + TT. They both have beautiful voices, I've always said that.
No, no, I never meant to compare this new gigs with the old ones with TT (in fact TT used not to sing on the chorus most of the times). No this is something that they always have been doing (with or without TT, this has nothing to do with him).

The point is that they (Matias and Lauri) have their own mics but I don't know why they NOT ALWAYS sing, just sometimes you know what I mean? (and the same thing used to happen when TT was in the band but that's not the point).

For example check out this videos of Yngwie in which you can hear and see the guy of the Keyboard singing the chorus, the bass player too, and Yngwie too... (it sounds really cool I think, mmmm like, to get the most closer sound to the album, with chorus).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wrbkUsn ... re=related

Or...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5FZKNEz ... re=related

Anyway, Stratovarius sounds great playing live I've been in 2 gigs so far and I'm sure about it (the third gig for me, it's coming :) ) with or without the chorus, they rock very VERY MUCH !! So it was just a suggestion.

P.S. I'm so happy because tomorrow is May 26th so I'm going to celebrate 2 things.

1. My Dad's birthday.
2. Polaris will be released here. I've been waiting this for so long so I will go to the store and buy the album and maybe I will be too drunk celebrating, hahaha.

Cheers to everyone!! :beer:

Polaris

Post by Polaris » Tue May 26, 2009 7:49 pm

Jörg & Jens doing chorus? That would be funny :lol:

palarmux

Post by palarmux » Tue May 26, 2009 7:51 pm

Lurdi wrote:I loved the perfect combination TK + TT. They both have beautiful voices, I've always said that.
I agreed. It's awesome to hear TK lead vocals and Tolkki backvokals :)

elements_pt_3

Post by elements_pt_3 » Wed May 27, 2009 12:33 am

It must be Yes

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed May 27, 2009 12:35 am

elements_pt_3 wrote:It must be Yes
Why must it be yes?

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Wed May 27, 2009 10:12 am

Polaris wrote:Jörg & Jens doing chorus? That would be funny :lol:
I don't know about Jörg, but apparently Jens can sing. Because in the POLARIS booklet Jens' name is included in the Backing Volcals credits. :)