Stratovarius to play Wacken, start work on new album in 2010

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Ragehead93
Location:Under Wolfgang Schäuble's wheelchair sabotaging it.
Re: Stratovarius to play Wacken, start work on new album in 2010

Post by Ragehead93 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:47 pm

HinatAArcticA wrote:
Ragehad91 wrote: After the horrible "The Days of Greys"...
Deathaura is an AMAZING song ¬¬
Come on, everyone knows that The Days of Grays was complete trash. And not even Jorn Lande doing backing vocals on "Flag in the Ground" was enough to save it. :x

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:12 pm

Ragehead93 wrote:
HinatAArcticA wrote:
Ragehad91 wrote: After the horrible "The Days of Greys"...
Deathaura is an AMAZING song ¬¬
Come on, everyone knows that The Days of Grays was complete trash. And not even Jorn Lande doing backing vocals on "Flag in the Ground" was enough to save it. :x
Jorn did backing vocals on FITG? Really? I can't hear it at all. I thought TDOG was a feckin' brilliant album, though.

Ragehead93
Location:Under Wolfgang Schäuble's wheelchair sabotaging it.

Post by Ragehead93 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:58 am

Empathica1928 wrote: Jorn did backing vocals on FITG? Really? I can't hear it at all.
Then you must be fucking retarded :x

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:29 am

Ragehead91 wrote:
sheryl1 wrote:I agree! Though I don´t think that TK - I mean Tony Kakko - is an unworthy dude without talent as you do
I've never said this. He has certain talent as a composer since most of the early Sonata Arctica stuff, aside from being Stratovarius-worship, sounds pretty good. But I don't understand what is supposed to be so great about his voice. A lot of people told me he is their favourite singer. How? To me his voice sounds just very, VERY thin. I don't think he is an undworthy dude with no talent. I just think that his voice isn' as great as everyone makes it out to be.
He has virtually no range and no fullness, the most he has is some interesting tonality.
He's nowhere near the singer that Hansi is, who can sing in 5 octaves with the most power of any singer in the genre.

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:57 pm

Rebel wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
sheryl1 wrote:I agree! Though I don´t think that TK - I mean Tony Kakko - is an unworthy dude without talent as you do
I've never said this. He has certain talent as a composer since most of the early Sonata Arctica stuff, aside from being Stratovarius-worship, sounds pretty good. But I don't understand what is supposed to be so great about his voice. A lot of people told me he is their favourite singer. How? To me his voice sounds just very, VERY thin. I don't think he is an undworthy dude with no talent. I just think that his voice isn' as great as everyone makes it out to be.
He has virtually no range and no fullness, the most he has is some interesting tonality.
He's nowhere near the singer that Hansi is, who can sing in 5 octaves with the most power of any singer in the genre.
I totally disagree. Tony has plenty of range and over the past few years has really shown what he can do with his voice. Hansi may have a wider range, but I don't think he is as powerful as Tony is. Maybe if you compare Hansi back in the 90s to Tony now, I'd agree with you, but since A Night At The Opera, I've really been unable to handle Hansi's voice for extended periods of time. All the overdubbing is driving me insane, and his voice just sounds weak and flat to me. Not to bash Blind Guardian, as I love them, but I think Tony sings with 10 times the emotion Hansi does, especially considering Sonata's lyrical themes are much more realistic than Guardian's.

Gossimoto

Post by Gossimoto » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:38 pm

Ragehead93 wrote:Come on, everyone knows that The Days of Grays was complete trash. And not even Jorn Lande doing backing vocals on "Flag in the Ground" was enough to save it. :x
I agree. The only song I can even tolerate is "Flag in the Ground". The rest of them I have to skip when they come up in my metal playlist. I was very disappointed with Days of Grays.

One a side note, my girlfriends loves the album so... whatever. She also likes Metallica from Load onward so its not a surprise she likes the lame SA album.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:33 am

Gossimoto wrote:
Ragehead93 wrote:Come on, everyone knows that The Days of Grays was complete trash. And not even Jorn Lande doing backing vocals on "Flag in the Ground" was enough to save it. :x
I agree. The only song I can even tolerate is "Flag in the Ground". The rest of them I have to skip when they come up in my metal playlist. I was very disappointed with Days of Grays.

One a side note, my girlfriends loves the album so... whatever. She also likes Metallica from Load onward so its not a surprise she likes the lame SA album.
Maybe my standards are high, I didn't even like "Flag in the Ground", wasn't what it could have been, but now that I've heard the rest of the album, it sounds a bit better

warrencurrymetal

Post by warrencurrymetal » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:27 am

Ragehead91 wrote:
mayhem-for-all wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
life-l wrote:
Rebel wrote: Strato needs to organize their own festival ala Blind Guardian Open Air
heh... good idea, but... that's fantastic :( :roll:
If they do it in their homecountry, it would work. I think they have a bigger audience there as in any other country.
I on the other hand don't think so.
I guess they have bigger audiences in South America I guess.
This country may offer nice big shows for PM bands with an army of Fangirls (Sonata Arctica, Nightwish...) but Strato has a bit more quality fanbase (which isn't represented by this forum)

But Sonata did their own Open Air this year and filmed it for their DvD.
I have a question: Do Timo Kotipelto and other members of the band frequently appear in TV or other media in Finland? Are they considered to be a popular band by the media in Finland? Or are they seen as a mere afterthough of the 90s? A Band that had a few hits once and releases an Album every now and then? I'd like to know. When it comes to germany, the only bands that get mentioned relatively often are Scorpions, Rammstein and Oomph. I'd like to know how stratos status in the finnish media is.
In the USA, we have SCOLA which shows various shows from around the world. I was flippin through the channels and saw Germany broadcasting some music thing (I don't understand German) and Helloween came on! This was right after Keeper 3 was released.

MetalVixen

Post by MetalVixen » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:25 pm

wonderful news!
I kept hearing that metal is dead and Ozzy's dead and people that like Ozzy are dead. I have never had an empty seat. I've always sold out, so who's saying it's all over?
- Ozzy Osbourne

The Buttmonkey

Post by The Buttmonkey » Mon May 10, 2010 3:28 am

You: He has virtually no range and no fullness, the most he has is some interesting tonality.

Me: After having seen them live I can tell you that he has a HUGE range. At least 4 octaves.

He also has a more full voice than Kotipelto does live.

(However I still like Kotipelto better.)

Kakko is even an excelent yodeler.
Stratovarius, duh.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon May 10, 2010 7:14 am

The Buttmonkey wrote:You: He has virtually no range and no fullness, the most he has is some interesting tonality.

Me: After having seen them live I can tell you that he has a HUGE range. At least 4 octaves.

He also has a more full voice than Kotipelto does live.

(However I still like Kotipelto better.)

Kakko is even an excelent yodeler.
Kakko?
Four Octaves???

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've listened to every Sonata Arctica album, and believe me, I'm a fan of the band, but Kakko doesn't even have as good of a range as Timo Kotipelto, let alone Hansi Kursch.

I mean. Fuck. His falsetto, FALSETTO, on Ecliptica barely seems to get into the fourth octave, and I've never heard him go deep into the second octave. It's a nice voice for what he uses it for, but he is NOT a four octave singer.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Mon May 10, 2010 7:35 am

4 octaves is really not so much I think with falsetto included. I have easily heard him cover notes from 4 different octaves. What’s on a cd does not show singers full vocal range in most cases. I doubt many people try for their highest or lowest note in their career and those notes can change as a person’s range expands or shrinks in both the long and the short term. Ability is not static and people should not assume that what a person does do it what they can do.

The Buttmonkey

Post by The Buttmonkey » Mon May 10, 2010 9:07 pm

Rebel wrote: Kakko?
Four Octaves???

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've listened to every Sonata Arctica album, and believe me, I'm a fan of the band, but Kakko doesn't even have as good of a range as Timo Kotipelto, let alone Hansi Kursch.

I mean. Fuck. His falsetto, FALSETTO, on Ecliptica barely seems to get into the fourth octave, and I've never heard him go deep into the second octave. It's a nice voice for what he uses it for, but he is NOT a four octave singer.

I am a 3 octave singer with no training whatsoever C#2 to F5 (falsetto included)

At the concert I went to, he had an extremly deep voice able to hit low notes effortlessly. (not in songs though, between songs)

Had I tried to sing along with him, I would've failed miserably, because I don't have as large of a vocal range as him. This makes it entirely plausible that he has a four octave vocal range.
I've listened to every Sonata Arctica album
Yes, that means that you know every note he is capable of hitting because he tries to show off to everybody how huge his range is. :roll:

Of course, the only way to know is to ask him.
Kakko doesn't even have as good of a range as Timo Kotipelto, let alone Hansi Kursch.
I never said he did. Kotipelto without a doubt has a bigger range, and I like him better, but Kakko is better than you give him credit for.
Stratovarius, duh.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon May 10, 2010 9:27 pm

The Buttmonkey wrote:
Rebel wrote: Kakko?
Four Octaves???

I am a 3 octave singer with no training whatsoever C#2 to F5 (falsetto included)

At the concert I went to, he had an extremly deep voice able to hit low notes effortlessly. (not in songs though, between songs)

Had I tried to sing along with him, I would've failed miserably, because I don't have as large of a vocal range as him. This makes it entirely plausible that he has a four octave vocal range.
I've listened to every Sonata Arctica album
Yes, that means that you know every note he is capable of hitting because he tries to show off to everybody how huge his range is. :roll:

Of course, the only way to know is to ask him.
Kakko doesn't even have as good of a range as Timo Kotipelto, let alone Hansi Kursch.
I never said he did. Kotipelto without a doubt has a bigger range, and I like him better, but Kakko is better than you give him credit for.
Generally speaking, you wouldn't count falsetto in a vocal range, and so far as I can tell, Kotipelto has around a range of 3 octaves (w/out falsetto). I can't imagine Kotipelto hitting above anything in the fifth octave, and Kursch gets into the sixth.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:29 am

we can count whistle and vocal fry in there and have all bets are off for musical usefuless

kakko knows kotipelto can go higher, but really any singer who prided themselves on their high notes is really a joke and im sure none of these guys care how high they can go or do comparisons like this. for me its more about emotional devivery and all three of the guys are great at it.

DawnIsHere

Post by DawnIsHere » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:48 pm

Well, back to the originak topic "Stratovarius to play Wacken" :roll:

I BOUGHT MY FLIGHT TICKETS TODAY!!! :ola:

The countdown started :evil:

I can't wait!!! :jump2:

Who else is actually going? Would be great to meet there :beer:
Wanna travel cool & cheap? Visit <url>here</url>

DawnIsHere

Post by DawnIsHere » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:53 pm

Hi guys,

In case any of you still wants to go but is disappointed to the fact it's sold-out, a friend of mine is no longer going due to work issues and she's selling her ticket:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0524477212

Rock On!
Wanna travel cool & cheap? Visit <url>here</url>

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:35 pm

Too many sweaty drunk guys together!! Or am I wrong? Are their too many sweaty women?!?! Maybe I'll reconsider if yngwie j mallmmsteener reuinted with jenswie j johaannsonstein and played....NOT. Every time I see videos of that place it just kills me that I will probably never go there ......ever.

stratovana

Post by stratovana » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:56 pm

I am going to Wacken too!

Fellow

Post by Fellow » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:04 pm

Sorry to jump in to go off topic again, but this Kakko/Kotipelto range discussion intruiges me! :P

I think Rebel is giving Kakko a bit too little credit! I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, but I think it's quite possible Kakko could have an equal, or perhaps bigger range than Kotipelto.

Also, I'll say now that both are great singers and range isn't everything. One doesn't have to have a large range to be a good singer, but like I say, this interests me. So anyway!

Kakko's highest note is a G#5 in Destruction Preventer (in head voice, not falsetto). I'm not sure if he could hit this note anymore, but even if he could I don't think he'd try, because super high-pitched singing isn't his style anymore, and he's looking after his voice by not singing unnecessarily high.

As for lowest note, I'm not entirely sure, but The Buttmonkey (great name :P) is correct, Kakko does sing/talk really low in-between songs at live shows, example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-UmzrraMy0 (I believe he goes to D2 at about :15, and maybe lower later on when he says 'boom'). Also there's a live video of Tallulah where he goes to C2 (but maybe vocal fry).

I don't know as much about Kotipelto's voice, but I believe his highest is a Bb5 in Tomorrow (one note higher than Tony), however, I've heard that the lowest he can go is E2, but someone might have to confirm this :P (I don't know if he can go lower). If this is the case, then:

Kakko: C2 or D2 ~ G#5 (3 octaves 8 or 6 semitones)
Kotipelto: E2 ~ Bb5 (3 octaves 6 semitones)

I do think Kotipelto sounds a bit more comfortable in high notes though. Tony sounded a bit strained/thin when he went really high, but he's really improved over the years.

But anyway, like I say, range isn't important, and both Kotipelto and Kakko are great singers :D

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:17 pm

Tony himself said that Silence was the peak for him when it comes to high notes, i like his voice better when he doesn't try to reach for the high notes.

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:05 pm

Fellow wrote:I do think Kotipelto sounds a bit more comfortable in high notes though.
You do?! :? I never liked TK's really high parts. It always sounds like he just trying too high. Last chorus of Learning to Fly. Find Your Own Voice chorus. The part at 3:25 in Visions. Elements chorus. All examples of where I really dislike his voice.

But whatever. In total, Strato is a very nice band. :D But I agree when people say that TK's voice starts to annoy after a while. :)

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:58 am

I have heard Kotipelto go very low too.
Well I don't know about notes so...

Fellow

Post by Fellow » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:41 pm

mayhem-for-all wrote:I have heard Kotipelto go very low too.
If you could direct me towards the songs I could try and find out :D

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:24 pm

Fellow wrote:
mayhem-for-all wrote:I have heard Kotipelto go very low too.
If you could direct me towards the songs I could try and find out :D
Listen to Keep The Flame. He does a low A there. That's the lowest he ever did in a Strato song.

Rage1979

Post by Rage1979 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:38 pm

Gossimoto wrote:

Yes the only good song.. and that one is an old one ;) Two poor albums in a row by SA... Have no hopes left for them.

Fellow

Post by Fellow » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:39 am

I rather liked Unia and TDoG, I think most people just expect to hear power metal, when it isn't any more :P. It does take a few listens to fully appreciate the songs though.

By the by, if you liked Flag in the Ground have a listen to 'Nothing More' - it's a bonus track in SA's olde power metal style :D

Kmasters

Post by Kmasters » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:59 am

Wacken is Over any setlist of the Show? i only find a vid in youtube enjoy

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gOy2J5yKfvg&am ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gOy2J5yKfvg&am ... S&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ

Post by ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:50 pm

Home from Wacken! They played these songs

Hunting High and Low
Higher We Go
Speed of Light
The Kiss of Judas
Against the Wind
Deep Unknown
Eagleheart
Winter Skies
Phoenix
Paradise
Black Diamond

Stratovarius and Edguy were the best bands on Saturday. On Friday Arch Enemy was very good. Alice Cooper, Motley Crue and Iron Maiden were all just boring!

nefertari

Post by nefertari » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:49 pm

Kmasters wrote:Wacken is Over any setlist of the Show? i only find a vid in youtube enjoy

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gOy2J5yKfvg&am ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gOy2J5yKfvg&am ... S&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
thank you for the video :) :headbang: