Interview with Timo Kotipelto

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
mocobhc
Interview with Timo Kotipelto

Post by mocobhc » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:22 pm

http://www.heavyworlds.com/site/index.p ... -kotipelto

(scroll down for English version)
Timo Kotipelto wrote:We have been composing, each one of us, some song. I think right now we need to compose a little bit more. But the plan is we are supposed start recording at the end of the summer, maybe in August starting with drums and then finish the album at the end of this year. Maybe in the middle of the next spring there should be a European tour coming up.
Wow! So glad to read that :)

brought2ubyletterC

Re: Interview with Timo Kotipelto

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:36 am

Can't f*ckin' wait!!!

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:55 am

cool to hear

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:52 am

Lol! The duo album with Liimatainen is almost done too! I can't wait to listen to that.
No need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray...
Tony Kakko

Southern_Stratofan

Post by Southern_Stratofan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:00 am

Agreed. I cant wait either.

I really do commend TK for all the hard work he puts into everything, it must be exhausting.

And I learnt a bit of Trivia, honestly didnt know TT wouldnt let others compose back in the day.

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:19 am

^Yeah, that was a huge reason behind a lot of their issues with him, from what I understand.

Southern_Stratofan

Post by Southern_Stratofan » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:37 pm

brought2ubyletterC wrote:^Yeah, that was a huge reason behind a lot of their issues with him, from what I understand.
Well it definitely would explain a lot. Im suprised they all co-existed for so long if that indeed was the case.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:49 am

I have no doubt the next album will be awesome, it's good to hear the ideas are flowing already.
metal feeds the beast

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:40 am

Well it definitely would explain a lot. Im suprised they all co-existed for so long if that indeed was the case.
I know I felt that way when I first heard Polaris, I was like, "damn, if this is the stuff they were sitting on all these years...!"

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:03 am

That was one of the main issues was the fact that the others wanted to write their own material and TT felt that only certain songs should go on each album.

I do know there was a lot of fighting between TK and TT about that specifically.
metal feeds the beast

Southern_Stratofan

Post by Southern_Stratofan » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:20 am

hiro23 wrote:That was one of the main issues was the fact that the others wanted to write their own material and TT felt that only certain songs should go on each album.

I do know there was a lot of fighting between TK and TT about that specifically.
Yes I had a read of those "statements" in 2008 version of the website. Highly educational stuff from both sides of the fence.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:31 am

I personally don't blame TK for being upset, if I felt I was being stifled creatively in a band I would be upset too.

Now I agree to a point that someone in the band has to set the direction for the album however I also think that he should be open minded enough to let the others members get their input and ideas in.
metal feeds the beast

Betlodocus

Post by Betlodocus » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:08 am

hiro23 wrote:I also think that he should be open minded enough to let the others members get their input and ideas in.
Same goes here. I don't really think that if the band evolves then they will lose their signature. They need something fresh like an old dog performing a new kind of tricks. :D

Verdades Parias

Post by Verdades Parias » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:27 am

Betlodocus wrote:
hiro23 wrote:I also think that he should be open minded enough to let the others members get their input and ideas in.
Same goes here. I don't really think that if the band evolves then they will lose their signature. They need something fresh like an old dog performing a new kind of tricks. :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the main reason why Stratovarius split in 2008, from my perspective is that TT was stuck with the same formula. He doesn't work trying things...so, the best thing that happened to a Stratovarius record is to have new things to hear (with this line up), becouse they have like 11 albums done in the same vein, that power metal riff over and over. If you pick one song from infinite album and put it in the Episode album.....It would make sense. There was a limit in the capacities of the Strato evolution. Now theres a new band with an open wide horizon in terms of what to do, wich is awesome

Betlodocus

Post by Betlodocus » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:47 am

Verdades Parias wrote:
Betlodocus wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the main reason why Stratovarius split in 2008, from my perspective is that TT was stuck with the same formula. He doesn't work trying things...so, the best thing that happened to a Stratovarius record is to have new things to hear (with this line up), becouse they have like 11 albums done in the same vein, that power metal riff over and over. If you pick one song from infinite album and put it in the Episode album.....It would make sense. There was a limit in the capacities of the Strato evolution. Now theres a new band with an open wide horizon in terms of what to do, wich is awesome
That's exactly correct :)

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:00 pm

I agree as well, I mean it's one thing if someone is writing out of necessity because the other members do not want to(I.E. Neil Peart of Rush)however in the case of Stratovarius they were clearly not ever allowed to because TT believed their stuff did not fit into the Strato vein.

I do believe that had they been able to get some more of their own material on there that the mid 00's albums they did would not have done as badly.
metal feeds the beast

Betlodocus

Post by Betlodocus » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:13 am

Koti's Seeds Of Sorrow and Evening's Fall can be par on the Elements' album IMO.

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:28 am

Hiro: Neil does not write Rush's music, just the lyrics. Geddy and Alex split the songwriting duties evenly.

Sorry, I am a Rush freak so it is almost "Second Nature" to inform someone if the info is not 100%.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:06 am

My point is that everything is distributed evenly between the members and no one plays a minor role.

Where as it seemed in Stratovarius the members were only allowed the play the music that TT wrote for them.
metal feeds the beast

Southern_Stratofan

Post by Southern_Stratofan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:36 am

Although, strangely enough ive seen beside song titles that are in the CD sleeves of old Strato albums Kotipelto's name beside Tolkkis. This usually implies a joint effort for creation of the song.

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Southern_Stratofan wrote:Although, strangely enough ive seen beside song titles that are in the CD sleeves of old Strato albums Kotipelto's name beside Tolkkis. This usually implies a joint effort for creation of the song.
This. Though, I believe TK had more to do with the lyrics than anything else.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:06 am

As far as I understand it(I could be wrong), TT would only allow Kotipelto to write lyrics and TT would have heavy influence on what TK was allowed to write.

So yes his name is in the sleeves however that doesn't mean he influenced the direction of the song, this is what the whole argument was about which lead to Kotipelto doing his solo albums. He felt at the time that was his only means of writing the music he wanted to do.
metal feeds the beast

Southern_Stratofan

Post by Southern_Stratofan » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:10 pm

hiro23 wrote:As far as I understand it(I could be wrong), TT would only allow Kotipelto to write lyrics and TT would have heavy influence on what TK was allowed to write.

So yes his name is in the sleeves however that doesn't mean he influenced the direction of the song, this is what the whole argument was about which lead to Kotipelto doing his solo albums. He felt at the time that was his only means of writing the music he wanted to do.
That also makes sense. The theme/direction of the lyrics is definitely TT. And falls in line with what various statements made implied.

But it also makes better sense of how it went on for so long without TK getting creatively frustrated. I personally couldnt work as a vocalist in a band without some form of input.
Im searching for something. I do not know what, nor do I know what will happen when I find it.

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:06 pm

^Too bad Tarja Turunen didn't feel that way, then Nightwish never would have kicked her out. :lol:

bockrocker

Post by bockrocker » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:18 pm

Didn't Jens once mention that he (and maybe some others) would submit songs or parts, but Tolkki always selected his own compositions over other peoples?

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:00 am

If I remember right that was the case, they would all submit material and TT would only choose the one's he felt were good for the album, which is many cases tended to be his compositions. Many of the others like Tk's and JJ's compositions would get relegated to B-sides with a few exceptions, which is why one every few albums or so you may see one song by TK or one song by JJ.
metal feeds the beast

Betlodocus

Post by Betlodocus » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:21 pm

In a nutshell, Tolkki's pride is in Stratovarius.... :?

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:51 am

That's the sum of it I'd say.
metal feeds the beast

Southern_Stratofan

Post by Southern_Stratofan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:52 pm

A part of me wishes Tolkki didnt sell off the Strato rights.

Not to sit there & make $$$ off the name, but rather be patient & let his imagination recover. Reform the band, and continue to let his (and other band members) creativity roam free.

Thats all in a perfect world of course, I cant begin to imagine just how grand Strato (not that theres anything wrong with Strato as we know it) would become if TT just let others contribute & help in his trialling times.

Thats what friends do (nothing against Jens or the others that tried to help), its so saddening to see him burden all on himself & fail under the pressure of his own mind.

Oh boy, im seriously rambling here. The above doesnt represent what would happen in a cold hard chance in hell. Its still nice to dream.

In my very honest opinion, I %100 agree with Tolkkis statement saying that the TK, TT, JM, JJ, JK era of Strato was the perfect combination (despite its behind-the-scenes shortcomings). It will never be replicated ever again i know, but damn it sure was perfect while it lasted.
Im searching for something. I do not know what, nor do I know what will happen when I find it.

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:53 pm

Southern_Stratofan wrote:agree with Tolkkis statement saying that the TK, TT, JM, JJ, JK era of Strato was the perfect combination (despite its behind-the-scenes shortcomings). It will never be replicated ever again i know, but damn it sure was perfect while it lasted.
Like the saying goes, it's much easier to make fish soup out of an aquarium than doing the the reverse :lol:

Well we all did our best anyway back then, still do as a matter of fact. Shit happens!