DragonForce... ?

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
icecab21
Re: DragonForce... ?

Post by icecab21 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:29 pm

I think they come from very different branches of influences. We could always do 6 degrees from stratovarius thread though. One can be that the bass player was in heavenly, heavenly guest stars tony kakko in a song, Jens has played on some sonata arcitca songs, and Jens is part of stratovarius.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:33 pm

icecab21 wrote:I think they come from very different branches of influences. We could always do 6 degrees from stratovarius thread though. One can be that the bass player was in heavenly, heavenly guest stars tony kakko in a song, Jens has played on some sonata arcitca songs, and Jens is part of stratovarius.
This is stretching it. I say Stratovarius and Bands that involve Stratovarius. members. And I don't mean doing a Keyboard solo or Seasson member or something like this. I'm talking about beeing a Fulltime member at some point. Like Yngwie Malmsteen, Cain't Offering, Kotipelto, Lauri Porra's Solo CDs, Revolution Renaissance, Return to Dreamspace and so on.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:36 pm

we can put this in any section, i won't complain. we can always start flaming it up so jens can put it in that section.

Xelrog T. Apocalypse

Post by Xelrog T. Apocalypse » Thu May 07, 2009 11:08 pm

How is being in the same genre not related? If you believe they're in the same genre, stand by it, if not, that's fine, but don't be hypocritical. I don't call either of them metal but they're similar enough that it seemed fitting in this forum. Especially since a large part of the discussion in this thread has been comparing the two bands.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Thu May 07, 2009 11:13 pm

Xelrog T. Apocalypse wrote:How is being in the same genre not related? If you believe they're in the same genre, stand by it, if not, that's fine, but don't be hypocritical. I don't call either of them metal but they're similar enough that it seemed fitting in this forum. Especially since a large part of the discussion in this thread has been comparing the two bands.
If we would go by genre we have to move EVERY thread about a Power Metal in this section even if they don't have ANYTHING in comon expect the genre. I just think it is better to keep it down to bands in which Stratovarius members were once full-time members.

And comparing them is not an argument in this case. You can compare every Metal band. Even if it doesn't make any sense.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Thu May 07, 2009 11:42 pm

I consider music to have a van diagram of similarities and differences.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri May 08, 2009 12:23 am

Ragehead:let's just say this got put in the wrong section however it still doesn't mean we can't comment on this topic.

Everyone:I think Dragonforce is a really good fun band and I always enjoy listening to their music, I thought their newest album ultra beatdown was kick ass and I'll stand by that opinion.
metal feeds the beast

Xelrog T. Apocalypse

Post by Xelrog T. Apocalypse » Fri May 08, 2009 12:23 am

*Venn ;P

In any case, the thread is here, and as long as there's a valid discussion I see no point in moving it. To me, the best bands go far beyond their members and should not be classified by them individually.

I'm getting tired of arguing against another brick wall. Someone bring up a DF-related topic again. XD

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri May 08, 2009 12:32 am

hiro23 wrote:Ragehead:let's just say this got put in the wrong section however it still doesn't mean we can't comment on this topic.
I never said that we can't comment on this topic. I just said that it is in the wrong section.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri May 08, 2009 12:33 am

Ragehead:okay it's in the wrong section
metal feeds the beast

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri May 08, 2009 12:36 am

Xelrog T. Apocalypse wrote:*Venn ;P

In any case, the thread is here, and as long as there's a valid discussion I see no point in moving it. To me, the best bands go far beyond their members and should not be classified by them individually.

I'm getting tired of arguing against another brick wall. Someone bring up a DF-related topic again. XD
Yeah to you. If we do it your way we also could just move every band thread over here because with that logic EVERY band is somehow related to Stratovarius.

I say move it. Dragonforce has appart from the genre and the lyrical themes nothing in common with Strato.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Fri May 08, 2009 12:49 am

*Venn ;P
spellcheck can fuck up my fuckups :lol:

here we go with the van diagram

As for another dragonforce topic, I find the technology that they use to be interesting. Hermin is skilled at using a lot of effects. It was a lot of fun watching him play around with the hot hand. Vadim also has a lot of electronic knowledge and has one of the more interesting keyboard setups for me. I have never seen a keyboard player be like him on state. His use of the theremin is something I find interesting. I think he definitely breaks the mold from some of the more traditional keyboard players with all the game effects he uses and that he can still play the traditional techniques well.

Xelrog T. Apocalypse

Post by Xelrog T. Apocalypse » Fri May 08, 2009 1:19 am

Game effects?

I still don't see the whole game concept everyone seems to say is behind their music... it doesn't sound remotely like anything I've ever heard in a video game, and in most cases I have a very difficult time imagining their music in one.

Rhapsody, on the other hand... THEY'RE stuck in the game world, in a literal sense. They're like Dungeons and Dragons personified. ;P

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Fri May 08, 2009 2:30 am

Xelrog T. Apocalypse wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:Yeah, that means bands actually involving past or present members of Stratovarius, 'related' in that sense. Threads about other bands are in the Other English Discussions subforum.
By whose definition? I didn't see it written anywhere.
All the other threads about other bands are in the other subforum.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

fernandotcl

Post by fernandotcl » Fri May 08, 2009 3:11 am

Yea this thread shouldn't be here. ;)

And it deviates a lot from the original topic.

Focus, people, focus! :lol:

:beer: :beer: :beer:

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Fri May 08, 2009 4:37 am

they use a lot of 8 bit sounds and sound effects found in arcade and early game systems. i think some of the music is pretty much the same style that i hear when i play games.

Xelrog T. Apocalypse

Post by Xelrog T. Apocalypse » Fri May 08, 2009 6:24 am

I don't hear it. They use synthesizers, sure, but it doesn't sound like an MIDI or anything.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Fri May 08, 2009 8:28 am

the 8 bit waves from electronic music that they use. Those are also in video games.

Xelrog T. Apocalypse

Post by Xelrog T. Apocalypse » Fri May 08, 2009 8:30 am

Doesn't 8-bit refer to graphics?

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Fri May 08, 2009 9:26 am

it can refer to both

it can always just be reduced to them having electronic sounds such as square waves as part of the music.

exe knight

Post by exe knight » Fri May 08, 2009 10:08 am

I don't really like the band, but I pretty much hate people who bash them. I think they're like simpleized and fastened Dream Theater.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Fri May 08, 2009 10:07 pm

exe knight wrote:I don't really like the band, but I pretty much hate people who bash them. I think they're like simpleized and fastened Dream Theater.
Not even close,
Dream Theater pushes every boundary and limit it can, they try everything.
Dragonforce has a formula, they stick to it.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:23 pm

I like them cause I think their music is catchy, I don't care whether a band has thousands of fans or they have three of them, if I like what I hear I'll listen to it.
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat May 09, 2009 1:34 am

If they are so formulaic from song to song how come only one has slap bass solo (I think otherwise I have to go through them all)?

Xelrog T. Apocalypse

Post by Xelrog T. Apocalypse » Sat May 09, 2009 2:04 am

Slap... wait, what? Which one?

The only solo that really stands out to me is Body Breakdown. Said it a few posts ago, but that's definitely the only one that reminds me of game music.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat May 09, 2009 6:45 am

I don’t know if slap bass is the actual name for it but it’s the same kind of thing found in funk music and that metal bass player’s love to put in the solos but bands usually don't put in songs. Body breakdown is the one with the bass solo that uses this. It’s that whole Seinfeld thing. Now that I listen to some other songs they have it in other songs on that album at least.

Xelrog T. Apocalypse

Post by Xelrog T. Apocalypse » Sat May 09, 2009 7:40 am

Yeah, that's what I thought. (With Body Breakdown, I mean)

I've heard the Slap Bass MIDI sound and figured that's what it was. Didn't recognize it right off the bat in BB, but it came to mind when you mentioned it. If I'm not mistaken, every member of the band had their own solo in that song, and they all ran in sequence. Which puts it one step closer to that Dream Theater business. <:3

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sat May 09, 2009 8:00 am

I know this will be picked apart to death however I think dragonforce has found their niche and they have managed to differentiate themselves from their peers.
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat May 09, 2009 8:10 am

I prefer children’s songs and drinking songs to dream theater type so dragonforce is more in my leage for that, although Dream Theater has some ballads that I love and some of my favorite piano pieces when rudess chooses to do those

CES

Post by CES » Sat May 09, 2009 7:08 pm

hiro23 wrote:I know this will be picked apart to death however I think dragonforce has found their niche and they have managed to differentiate themselves from their peers.
Nobody can question that Dragonforce have found a niche for themselves. From what I've seen (both Live and talking to fans) they make for a good bridge to other metal bands and even metal in general.