New Stratovarius drummer (your thoughts or preferences)

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
icecab21
Re: New Stratovarius drummer (your thoughts or preferences)

Post by icecab21 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:43 am

i think those bands did not survive because of band members choices and not a lack of demand from fans. apart from perhaps rainbow, ( but who knows) they could easily tour and make millions if they wanted to. guns and roses is doing so without the same drummer and the who and zeppalin could do bigger tours im sure of it.

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:23 am

icecab21 wrote:guns and roses
Most overrated band ever
No need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray...
Tony Kakko

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:44 am

HinatAArcticA wrote:
Most overrated band ever
Haha! Good one! You almost got me there!

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:19 am

what they are rated in the top 90 in a few mags, that's not very rated at all. they have a few songs that are higher rated than as a band, im fine putting the songs there as far as classic rock songs go and influence.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:44 am

Well I for one am going to give Strato a chance before I condemn them to obscurity.
metal feeds the beast

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:12 am

There are many bands out there who have survived just fine without their drummers. Guns 'n' Roses is not really a good example, considering that they're touring with only ONE original member left. I think it's safe to say there's no G'n'R without Axl.

Put it this way, there are very few bands that would suffer without their drummer (Rush is probably the only one I could think of right now that is still active; if there was no Neil Peart, there'd be no Rush, period); most bands suffer a lot more when a singer is replaced, but hell, just as many bands have done well with replacement singers too. I think ultimately it depends on the music, not the members of the band themselves. Personally, I worry more for a band when a main songwriter leaves, not a drummer or a singer. So the fact that Strato has survived without Tolkki, and has done a damn good job on their own---at least to my ears---that says something about their staying power. But this is just my own opinion.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:37 am

I agree and I think Strato will continue for quite awhile because all the songwriters from the last two albums are still there.
metal feeds the beast

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:52 am

NeverendingAbyss wrote:
HinatAArcticA wrote:
Most overrated band ever
Haha! Good one! You almost got me there!

Lol, he thinks I'm joking :)
Tony Kakko

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:23 pm

brought2ubyletterC wrote:There are many bands out there who have survived just fine without their drummers. Guns 'n' Roses is not really a good example, considering that they're touring with only ONE original member left. I think it's safe to say there's no G'n'R without Axl.

Put it this way, there are very few bands that would suffer without their drummer (Rush is probably the only one I could think of right now that is still active; if there was no Neil Peart, there'd be no Rush, period); most bands suffer a lot more when a singer is replaced, but hell, just as many bands have done well with replacement singers too. I think ultimately it depends on the music, not the members of the band themselves. Personally, I worry more for a band when a main songwriter leaves, not a drummer or a singer. So the fact that Strato has survived without Tolkki, and has done a damn good job on their own---at least to my ears---that says something about their staying power. But this is just my own opinion.
totally bro, neal peart is the back bone of that band, on the Guns thing, they dominated the world back in the 90s with the original line up, once steven left, they slowed down, to the point you mention when only is axl remains , they will never reach the epicness of the original line up , and...
@hinata is crazy, appetite for destruction is up there in the olympus of hard rock, along with back in black ,diary of a madman and so on.
A9

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:59 am

^Yeah, G'n'R was awesome but that band definitely went downhill after Slash left, not so much after Steven left (although that definitely was the beginning of the end). It will be interesting to see what happens when they're inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame this year. I doubt we'll see all the original members in the same room, though. I have a feeling Axl will make up a lame excuse at the last minute and not show up; just like the Van Halen brothers did when they got inducted, leaving the two guys NOT in the band as the only ones there to accept the award! :eyes

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:27 am

In this case I don't think it will effect Stratovarius that badly as Jorg didn't compose the songs, don't get me wrong he's an awesome drummer and is among the best however the musical direction from the last two albums was done by the members who are still in the band.
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:33 am

Album
Year Chart Peak position
2008 European Top 100 1[86]
Argentina Albums Chart 1[87]
Canadian Albums Chart 1[88]
Finnish Albums Chart 1[89]
New Zealand Albums Chart 1[90]
Polish Albums Chart 1[91]
Slovene Albums Chart 1[92]
Swiss Albums Chart 1[93]
Taiwanese G-music Western Chart 1[94]
UK Albums Chart 2[61]
German Albums Chart 2[93]
Norwegian Albums Chart 2[93]
U.S. Billboard 200 3[59]
Australian Albums Chart 3[95]
Austrian Albums Chart 3[93]
Irish Albums Chart 3[96]
Israeli Albums Chart 3[97]
Italian Albums Chart 3[98]
Japanese Oricon Albums Chart 3[99]
Belgian Albums Chart 2[100]
Dutch Albums Chart 4[101]
Hungarian Albums Chart 4[93]
Mexican Albums Chart 3[102]
Russian Albums Chart 4[103]
Swedish Albums Chart 4[93]
Danish Albums Chart 7[104]
Portuguese Albums Chart 9[93]
French Albums Chart 5[93]
Greek Albums Chart 10[105]
[edit] Year-end charts

certainly downhill
combine that with performances to 100000 people in single concerts and we have a band that well, is still doing way better than stratovarius ever did.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:45 am

hiro23 wrote:Very much true, however and this is just my opinion I think that Timo K and Jens aren't going anywhere.

Both of them love this band and the music it creates.
tbh, I had sort of guessed that Jorg would be the next to leave, and I had sort of figured that it would be the end, I guess I kind of wonder what Matias and Lauri's career ambitions are, I hope they enjoy the position that they're in, but I wonder if maybe they start to worry about the prime of their careers being spent in the twilight of a band's history? I really hope not, but I just can't imagine what it would be like to just exist in Tolkki's shadow for Matias.
They let us have signatures on this forum???

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:04 am

Rebel wrote:I just can't imagine what it would be like to just exist in Tolkki's shadow for Matias.
I think Matias is not under Tolkki's shadow at all. He's an amazing player, and he has composed amazing music that, to me, beats many of Tolkki's songs (not all of them). I think that Stratovariu's neo line-up, is it's own Stratovarius, and from that line-up, we'll have four "original" members, if you know what I mean. I think the new drummer will bring a lot of great energy to the band, and I think this Stratovarius, even as different as it is from the 2004 band, it's still amazing on it's own right, and I don't see them stoping in years.
Tony Kakko

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:36 am

Well, I really think Stratovarius is gonna have even more success now than they had with Polaris and Elysium. I don't know why (some) people keep thinking that the band is going to have bad future now that Jörg left...I think it is exactly the opposite, but well, it's just my opinion.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:37 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Tolkki wasn't an original member of Stratovarius either; he joined the band when it already had that name, right? So yeah, while it's not the "classic" lineup, the "original" lineup hasn't existed since before they started even making albums! :lol:

Verdades Parias

Post by Verdades Parias » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:54 pm

RazielSR wrote:Well, I really think Stratovarius is gonna have even more success now than they had with Polaris and Elysium. I don't know why (some) people keep thinking that the band is going to have bad future now that Jörg left...I think it is exactly the opposite, but well, it's just my opinion.
The thing is, that the band has extremely talent composers and being the 3rd record together, i belive that it will be very tight, sharp, and I hope FAST!

mocobhc

Post by mocobhc » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Rebel wrote:I guess I kind of wonder what Matias and Lauri's career ambitions are, I hope they enjoy the position that they're in, but I wonder if maybe they start to worry about the prime of their careers being spent in the twilight of a band's history
Many of us don't consider the current Stratovarius to be the shadow or copy of a former band, but rather think it's a band that has enough potential to evolve and even to exceed the quality the classic lineup delivered! Right now this seems to be a good opportunity for both Lauri and Matias to create their own music and have fun with it, and it's up to them to keep on and create something that's more than the twilight of a former band. Of course one never knows about their needs in the future, but I hope that the space they get in Stratovarius is big enough for them for many future years :D

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:45 am

Rebel:while I respect your opinion I don't believe this band is in the twilight of it's career, I still think it has many productive years ahead of it.

brought2ubyletterC:You are correct, the band was actually named by their original lead singer and Tuomo Lassila, Tolkki didn't come in until they had been around at least 2 or 3 years.

mocobhc:I couldn't agree with you more, I believe the Stratovarius we have now is a different entity, they still have excellent,stellar music however all the chaos seems to be gone, they seem to now be a band who loves what they do and don't have someone telling them how to do it, they work with each other and not against each other.
metal feeds the beast

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:01 am

Think of it this way. Every single atom has been replaced in your body since your childhood but you still think you are the same being as back then.

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:55 am

mayhem-for-all wrote:Think of it this way. Every single atom has been replaced in your body since your childhood but you still think you are the same being as back then.
10 Points :)
Tony Kakko

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:34 am

That's a good analogy, so as has been said we are dealing with a different entity now.
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:06 am

the band name must never die, like the dred pirate roberts. they can always pick good players and good composers as good players and good composers want to be in a band like this.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:31 am

I completely agree, it's an entity unto itself and should continue on.
metal feeds the beast

joteke

Post by joteke » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:31 pm

Alex Landenburg goes to Luca Turilli's Rhapsody:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLQn35o- ... e=youtu.be

So very likely Strato's new drummer is not gonna be him...hmph

mocobhc

Post by mocobhc » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:55 pm

:omg:

So funny, seems like somehow deep inside I really expected him to be the new Stratovarius drummer, despite that contest going on, cause now I'm much more surprised that it's not going to be him than I thought I would be :lol:

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:30 pm

Robocop is the new drummer of Stratovarius.

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:29 am

^Awesome. :lol:

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:04 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:Robocop is the new drummer of Stratovarius.
What kind of sets does he bang?

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:48 am

NeverendingAbyss wrote:
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:Robocop is the new drummer of Stratovarius.
What kind of sets does he bang?
He'll bang just about anything with that long, hard drumstick. :spin1: