What do you expect for the next album?

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
pneumonia
Re: What do you expect for the next album?

Post by pneumonia » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:22 pm

I agree with Raziel, this little prog direction is good. And also my favs are Fourth Dim and Episode (but I would throw out Uncertainty). I know, that Matias is a great Romeo and Petrucci fan, so we can surely count on him.
Episode II is a good idea. There are very good proportions between faster and slower songs. Great songs :)

Jens keep doing as well as now. Winter Skies should be now a constant element of tours.

It would be a nice surprise, maybe a guest (woman), but it is only a proposition.

And maybe better mix, e.g the string quartet on "When Mountains Fall" is over-compressed. Maybe Timo-better English. Just details :) (of course IMHO, IMHO, IMHO)

I'm sure it would be great, I just trust them :)

Kecos

Post by Kecos » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:19 am

a
Last edited by Kecos on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:01 am

Polaris really grew on me, like Timo Tolkki's ass grew on him. In some ways it was not as polished as the Stratovarius that preceded it (we're not talking about his butt anymore) so my initial impression was lukewarm (see last comment), but now its probably my 3rd favorite behind* (ok, we're back) "Visions" and "Elements Pt. 1". My favorite songs are probably Falling Star (aka Timo Tolkki) and Deep Unknown (Timo Tolkki's behind).

I hope the new album is a little more atmospheric, has heavier guitars (but not heavier guitarists), more solos, and better lyrics. But if they release something (too easy) half as good as Polaris I will be happy...

If I had to guess, I would say the band will now take a slightly more experimental direction. I doubt it will sound like "Scenes from a Memory", but I would imagine there is some instrumental wankery forthcoming.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:24 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:Polaris really grew on me, like Timo Tolkki's ass grew on him. In some ways it was not as polished as the Stratovarius that preceded it (we're not talking about his butt anymore) so my initial impression was lukewarm (see last comment), but now its probably my 3rd favorite behind* (ok, we're back) "Visions" and "Elements Pt. 1". My favorite songs are probably Falling Star (aka Timo Tolkki) and Deep Unknown (Timo Tolkki's behind).

I hope the new album is a little more atmospheric, has heavier guitars (but not heavier guitarists), more solos, and better lyrics. But if they release something (too easy) half as good as Polaris I will be happy...

If I had to guess, I would say the band will now take a slightly more experimental direction. I doubt it will sound like "Scenes from a Memory", but I would imagine there is some instrumental wankery forthcoming.
I agree with most of what you wrote, and also must add that I worry for your sanity.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:55 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:Polaris really grew on me, like Timo Tolkki's ass grew on him. In some ways it was not as polished as the Stratovarius that preceded it (we're not talking about his butt anymore) so my initial impression was lukewarm (see last comment), but now its probably my 3rd favorite behind* (ok, we're back) "Visions" and "Elements Pt. 1". My favorite songs are probably Falling Star (aka Timo Tolkki) and Deep Unknown (Timo Tolkki's behind).

Falling Star was the biggest disappointment on the album for me, not necessarily the worst song, but those 30 seconds in the bridge where nothing was going on confused the hell out of me. Jens told me allegedly there was some monologue that was supposed to go in there about how there would be robots in the future, but seriously, just let Matias shred out and that's a GREAT song

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:21 am

Here I come.
I'd love to see them trying to make new stuff, not an Elements Pt 4 (Polaris was Elements 3)...
I don't want to see them trying to sound like Tolkki old music in the "Vision years" or the Elements era or anything. I don't really care about how will it come, because I've never been really dissapointed by the band.
What do I think make Polaris shine?
Two:
Deep Unknown & Winter Skies.
Because they are fresh and they are not like "Elements Pt.3 " what I think I feel with Blind or Forever is Today. Don't get me wrong. I love those songes, specially Forever is Today, which I liked the most on the gig here in México. But I don't like them as I like Deep Unknown.
If the music in Polaris really, and I mean REALLY came out naturally and not trying to "Keep the Strato sound songs" then I just can't wait to the next album. What I think is that as long as they are not afraid to record whatever they feel they must record, everything will be ok, because the album will feel strong, bright and mostly, new, nothing repeated.
I want more of that new Strato I found in Deep Unknown. I wonder how many more faces does this new Strato has :)
No need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray...
Tony Kakko

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:49 am

Elements Pt 4 (Polaris was Elements 3)...
If Polaris was pt. 3 then Infinite was Pt. 0,5

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:01 am

I’d like them to write what comes naturally. I’m sure people will label it this and that and say they tried to be this or that or that one song is trying to be other songs no matter how different their lyrics, melodies, chords, song structures, and more are.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:37 am

that's normal Icecab, even you will do the same (not here, but I'm sure in your mind :D )

AAAAAAA thoughts are really ok, I think that even AAAAAAAA dinasty would be happy with that.

Falling Star was one of my favourites songs on the album, but that's not the direction I meant, anyway somekind of song like that would be ok for me.

I suppose. that after the stop in February, when they finish the European tour, they'll start the next album.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:12 pm

I suppose. that after the stop in February, when they finish the European tour, they'll start the next album.
TK said in a an interview that they most likely will start working on it already in spring.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:16 pm

mayhem-for-all wrote:
TK said in a an interview that they most likely will start working on it already in spring.
Thanks for the info, mayhem.
So let's say March-April. We asked Jens in Madrid about it and he said that he thinks the next album will be released in ten months more or less. I can see a October-November release. Before that let's see if we can have some kind of material as a live cd or DVD or something.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:34 pm

I would like to hear a song longer than "Elements", and although it's so damn epic, they should give a try to make 1 prog song at least :)
|StratoFan Forever|

stratodan1990

Post by stratodan1990 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:20 am

I felt that Polaris, as a whole album, was creative and a well paced return to form (not entirely like the older 1996-2000 era but you get me, the positive energy was there).

I think that now they have settled into the lineup a bit better, we can indefinately expect an even better album than Polaris. Perhaps an album that will sound like an evolution from what Polaris was, but a back to the roots esque, Visions/Episode and some songs that are (perhaps) completely new. But not songs like 'Somehow Precious'

Personally, I thought the most interesting thing about Polaris was the less guitar solos. I'd love to hear more Matias solos with the new album. Or maybe more duels with JJ (eg. Holy Light) and utter Neoclassical madness!!! :D

I know everyone has their favourite songs on the new album, but I think we can expect something great with the new release. I know either way, i'm guna love it as these guys are my all time favourite band.

Not sure about the Episode 2 thing. Episode was a great album in its own right, I feel it would be alot better for a different name. Polaris was a good name. Elements Part 3 anyone? lol.

I just think another fresh and new name would work best for the name.

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:35 am

mayhem-for-all wrote:
Elements Pt 4 (Polaris was Elements 3)...
If Polaris was pt. 3 then Infinite was Pt. 0,5
Maybe. More then, I'm tired of Elements albums and makes my point stronger.
Tony Kakko

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:02 am

i don't follow this connection of elements and polaris. to me there are many differences between the types of songs that are on these albums

stratodan1990

Post by stratodan1990 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:12 pm

i'd like to hear more songs like King Of Nothing. That was a really surprisingly great song from the first time of hearing it!

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:03 pm

icecab21 wrote:i don't follow this connection of elements and polaris. to me there are many differences between the types of songs that are on these albums
Mainly in fast songs.
It's not absoulute hehe, is just a little way to say I found some songs in the album nothing new.
Tony Kakko

Arkash

Post by Arkash » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:53 pm

i'd like to hear more songs like King Of Nothing. That was a really surprisingly great song from the first time of hearing it!
Completely agree!!!! KoN is one of the best tracks of Polaris!!!!
Through the storms we've wandered
Many mountains we have climbed
But all the bad times are behind
The road is free - I'm coming home

Balu

Post by Balu » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:41 pm

HinatAArcticA wrote:Here I come.
I'd love to see them trying to make new stuff, not an Elements Pt 4 (Polaris was Elements 3)...
I don't want to see them trying to sound like Tolkki old music in the "Vision years" or the Elements era or anything. I don't really care about how will it come, because I've never been really dissapointed by the band.
What do I think make Polaris shine?
Two:
Deep Unknown & Winter Skies.
Because they are fresh and they are not like "Elements Pt.3 " what I think I feel with Blind or Forever is Today. Don't get me wrong. I love those songes, specially Forever is Today, which I liked the most on the gig here in México. But I don't like them as I like Deep Unknown.
I have to disagree that Polaris is Elements Pt. 3, as Elements had much more symphonic elements, was less power metal and was simply just not as powerful as Polaris. In my opinion, Polaris sounds much more like and album between Destiny and Infinite would have sounded.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:21 pm

Arkash wrote:
Completely agree!!!! KoN is one of the best tracks of Polaris!!!!
For me it was one of my least favorite along with Blind (yet both were still quite good).
But Jens really saved the day with Winter Skies.

Polaris

Post by Polaris » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:21 pm

stratodan1990 wrote:I felt that Polaris, as a whole album, was creative and a well paced return to form (not entirely like the older 1996-2000 era but you get me, the positive energy was there).

I think that now they have settled into the lineup a bit better, we can indefinately expect an even better album than Polaris. Perhaps an album that will sound like an evolution from what Polaris was, but a back to the roots esque, Visions/Episode and some songs that are (perhaps) completely new. But not songs like 'Somehow Precious'
I agree with you but I also love Somehow Precious :wink:
Winter Skies is a gem!

life-l

Post by life-l » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:50 pm

stratodan1990 wrote: I'd love to hear more Matias solos with the new album. Or maybe more duels with JJ (eg. Holy Light) and utter Neoclassical madness!!! :D
+1000
It's good idea to do "the battle" between Matius, Lauri and Jens :roll: :roll: not so long, for 10-15 min :wink:
and it would be great to hear the sequel of Emancipation suite (part 3) :D
sorry for my english)))

fernandotcl

Post by fernandotcl » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:36 pm

I liked Polaris, but I think the next album is going to be better. After quite a few listens, I'd rank Polaris only in front of the black album (not taking into account the pre-Kotipelto era albums, which I don't realy consider to be in the same league).

I think there's a consensus about what the community would like to see in the next album. To sum it up:

- Kotipelto singing like he did in Gather The Faithful, i.e., much less agressive, much cleaner, pre-black album. Gather The Faithful reminded me of why I consider him the best power metal voice ever.

- Matias playing heavier. Perhaps heavier isn't the right word here. Maybe Strato wanted to offset for the lack of synth in the black album, and ended up creating songs where the guitar is merely a background element. It's not that the guitar parts were not good enough, they were simply not visible or distinctive enough.

I would like to add the following items to that list:

- Catchy epic songs. Higher We Go, Blind and Forever Is Today are catchy, for example. Emancipation Suite (both parts) and King Of Nothing are good epic songs, but they're far from catchy. Compare that to Destiny or Infinity, catchy, epic songs.

- Ballads or slower songs in general that send chills down your spine. Destiny is blessed with those, with 4000 Rainy Nights, Years Go By and Venus In The Morning). Visions had Before The Winter and Coming Home. Episode had Season Of Change and Forever. Infinite had Mother Gaia and Celestial Dream. Elements had, among others, Season Of Faith's Perfection, Liberty. The black album had The Land Of Ice And Snow. Polaris had Winter Skies (which is a major masterpiece), then Somehow Precious (boring to me, way too long, way too cheesy) and When Mountains Fall (good song, but doesn't stand on its own). I think we could use more catchy ballads like Winter Skies and 4000 Rainy Nights.

- Deeper lyrics. The lyrics in Polaris are fine (above average, really), but they don't stand out like the lyrics in songs like Night Time Eclipse, Season Of Change. I think they're too happy and simple some times. In songs like I'm Still Alive, even though the message is positive overall, it's about overcoming challenges ("All my life, I've felt like an outcast / But not anymore, a thing of the past! / I'm still alive / I'm ready to feel the wind in my hair / And I know there are so many things to share / I will write my story again / Master plan of a new kind / I was lost but now I'm found / I'm still alive!"). Another good example is Rebel ("Lost behind the lies / I can hear your cries / Now it's the time to rise again so strong / Learn from your past / But better make it fast / The time is running out for you to change your life / You must learn to live / There's so much more to give / Set fire to your soul again and be the rebel! / Hold your head up high!"). Compare those two songs with similar themes:

Higher We Go: When all is crashing down / I know the time will heal / In this insanity / We'll find what is real! / Together we are so strong / Holding our heads up high / We will carry on / 'Till the day we die!
Hunting High And Low: After the storm there's a calm / Through the clouds shines a ray of the sun / I'm carried from all of my harm / There is no one that I can't outrun / Now I'm leaving my worries behind / Feel the freedom of body and mind / I am starting my journey / I'm drifting away with the wind / I go!

I know this is kind of subjective, but I see a big difference. Higher We Go has an overconfident view, it's a cellebration of victory already. Hunting High And Low is more about working hard to overcome problems. It's a cellebration of the journey that will lead you to victory ("Sometimes I may win, sometimes I'll lose / It's just a game that I play"), it seems more humble, realistic and noble.

Also, the lyrics have more content in HHAL. Instead of saying "I know the time will heal", HHAL says "After the storm there's a calm", which is just much prettier. When I listen to HHAL, I imagine a whole scenery due to graphic descriptions like this, and that doesn't happen with HWG.

- Traditional themes. I don't know if that's the best way to describe it. Winter Skies got it right again in this aspect. Songs about the frozen lakes, the woods, the cold winter nights, the winter breeze, the falling yellow leaves, or the snow that begins to fall. But this goes beyond the lyrics.

All in all, I trust the talent those guys have. Whatever they come up with, I'm dead sure it's gonna be another masterpiece.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:57 pm

fernandotcl wrote: - Kotipelto singing like he did in Gather The Faithful, i.e., much less agressive, much cleaner, pre-black album. Gather The Faithful reminded me of why I consider him the best power metal voice ever.
Agreed. On Polaris he sounded really strained in a bad way. On Gather The Faithful on the other hand he sounded much more relaxed and comfortab.
fernandotcl wrote: - Matias playing heavier. Perhaps heavier isn't the right word here. Maybe Strato wanted to offset for the lack of synth in the black album, and ended up creating songs where the guitar is merely a background element. It's not that the guitar parts were not good enough, they were simply not visible or distinctive enough.
Definietly agree. Polaris was too keyboard-heavy. We all know that Jans is a genious, we want to hear more from Matias. More Fanzy soloing and more killer-leads.
fernandotcl wrote:- Catchy epic songs. Higher We Go, Blind and Forever Is Today are catchy, for example. Emancipation Suite (both parts) and King Of Nothing are good epic songs, but they're far from catchy. Compare that to Destiny or Infinity, catchy, epic songs.
I disagree. The Songs on Polaris were quite Catchy.
fernandotcl wrote:- Ballads or slower songs in general that send chills down your spine. Destiny is blessed with those, with 4000 Rainy Nights, Years Go By and Venus In The Morning). Visions had Before The Winter and Coming Home. Episode had Season Of Change and Forever. Infinite had Mother Gaia and Celestial Dream. Elements had, among others, Season Of Faith's Perfection, Liberty. The black album had The Land Of Ice And Snow. Polaris had Winter Skies (which is a major masterpiece), then Somehow Precious (boring to me, way too long, way too cheesy) and When Mountains Fall (good song, but doesn't stand on its own). I think we could use more catchy ballads like Winter Skies and 4000 Rainy Nights.
Also add less ballads and slow songs. 4 Ballads ("Winter Skies", "Somehow Previours", "When Mountains Fall" and "Emancipation Part II") are WAY too much.

fernandotcl

Post by fernandotcl » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:38 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:
fernandotcl wrote:- Catchy epic songs. Higher We Go, Blind and Forever Is Today are catchy, for example. Emancipation Suite (both parts) and King Of Nothing are good epic songs, but they're far from catchy. Compare that to Destiny or Infinity, catchy, epic songs.
I disagree. The Songs on Polaris were quite Catchy.
True, but the epic songs weren't catchy, that's what I think could be improved.
Ragehead91 wrote:
fernandotcl wrote:- Ballads or slower songs in general that send chills down your spine. Destiny is blessed with those, with 4000 Rainy Nights, Years Go By and Venus In The Morning). Visions had Before The Winter and Coming Home. Episode had Season Of Change and Forever. Infinite had Mother Gaia and Celestial Dream. Elements had, among others, Season Of Faith's Perfection, Liberty. The black album had The Land Of Ice And Snow. Polaris had Winter Skies (which is a major masterpiece), then Somehow Precious (boring to me, way too long, way too cheesy) and When Mountains Fall (good song, but doesn't stand on its own). I think we could use more catchy ballads like Winter Skies and 4000 Rainy Nights.
Also add less ballads and slow songs. 4 Ballads ("Winter Skies", "Somehow Previours", "When Mountains Fall" and "Emancipation Part II") are WAY too much.
It depends on the number of tracks in the album. Polaris is 4/12, Destiny was 3/9 (or 3/10, if you count Cold Winter Nights). Destiny's ballads were much more intense, though.

Arkash

Post by Arkash » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:30 am

It would be a nice surprise, maybe a guest (woman), but it is only a proposition.
That would be really great, a duet between Timo and a woman, but not a ballad duet, a more heavy one, like Kamelot does so perfectly: heavy duet songs!!!!

My dream would be, on the next album a long epic song, like Infinity, with a really catchy chorus like HHAL, with some slower moments like Coming Home and a guest woman singing the chorus with TK!!!
Through the storms we've wandered
Many mountains we have climbed
But all the bad times are behind
The road is free - I'm coming home

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:26 am

I totally agree with fernandotcl. A little less cliche, more atmosphere, heavier guitars, better lyrics would be best. But remember, Tolkki didn't write any songs on this album, just think of how much worse it could have been after a dramatic shift like that. I think Polaris is great, and i'm dying for the next one.
That would be really great, a duet between Timo and a woman, but not a ballad duet, a more heavy one, like Kamelot does so perfectly: heavy duet songs!!!!
:repuke: I hate female/male duets. They are totally wimpy and worthless. I know...its my personal opinion, not a scientific fact. And I am also aware that it is possible for me not to listen to it if I don't like it. Lets not go there again...

Also long tracks are good, but only if there is enough material to justify the length. I like it when a song keeps up the tempo, or gradually builds up energy. But some long songs are alternating passages of fast and slow, heavy and quiet, with almost no connection or coherency, and that gets really really boring. Its like they wrote four songs and then just merged them together randomly.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:43 am

they could do a male/male ballad duet to cater to a10

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:40 am

I don't like the idea of a woman singer in a Stratovarius album.

About the voice, yes, in GTF TK sings a lot better and relaxed. Let's hope to have that in the next album.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:26 pm

I think TK did some good job on Polaris but he could still improve on it a lot and Also one thing I would like to hear is better vocal melodies. Not that there was anything wrong in them but They weren't as good as they could have been.