Ok, I REALLY want the Return to Dreamspace album.

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Rebel
Re: Ok, I REALLY want the Return to Dreamspace album.

Post by Rebel » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:08 am

Star_Ocean wrote:Whoops, someone's angry because I hate a song they love! Oh no, call the opinion police and have me arrested! And I do love harsh vocals just as much as clean vocals. I just thought that song you posted was one of the worst examples you could have shown.

And that "controversy" bullshit you just came up with is an obvious excuse to get yourself out of the fact that you don't really know anything about Dio. Especially considering that "controversy" has nothing to do with Dio and Ozzy, but the just the fans. Ozzy and Dio don't argue with each other about who is better, do they? No, and therefore, they aren't part of that "controversy." It's called a "division of fans."

Or someone's just jealous that Dio is much more highly regarded, popular, and successful than Hansi ever will be. I mean, if Dio's still in your top 10 favorite vocalists, yet you find him immensely overrated, then you have either only listened to a couple of bands, or you're just jealous your favorite singer isn't as successful. :lol:
Way to dodge the point. And I wasn't changing my point, evidently I just didn't state it clear enough. The controversy surrounding Dio is basically that half his career he spent with already established musicians. Dio is good, yes, I'd put him around probably #7 or #6 in my all time metal vocalists, but the people who regard him as the best thing to ever happen to vocals are like the people that believe Hendrix is the best guitar player ever. They really don't have that much of a reason to believe what they believe, but because so many people believe it, it must be true. I've listened to nearly every Dio solo record, and as far as the debate between Dio and Ozzy goes Solo Dio>Solo Ozzy, but Sabbath Ozzy>Sabbath Dio, and if I gave two shits about the popularity, then the first thing I would have broken out is last.fm statistics comparing Dio Solo to Blind Guardian.
Whereas, while about the same number of people have listened to both bands, Blind Guardian has 22 million individual plays, whereas Dio only has 6 million.
I could compile the individual #s for the albums that Dio sings on with Black Sabbath and Rainbow, but then I could also add Demons and Wizards to the Hansi statistic. Even then, I'm willing to bet Hansi would be firmly in the lead.

Edit, Rainbow, TOTAL, has under 5 million plays, and Black Sabbath, TOTAL, has 25 million (Compared to Blind Guardian's 22).

Would you really like to open the bottleneck of popularity here?

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:39 am

Why care about "best singer"? Just have your favorite and others have theirs. The singers certainly aren’t worrying about it. BG is on a Dio tribute cd for example in this case.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:57 am

icecab21 wrote:Why care about "best singer"? Just have your favorite and others have theirs. The singers certainly aren’t worrying about it. BG is on a Dio tribute cd for example in this case.
Yes, I know, I actually showed a video of that.

I mostly do this for sport and for fun (Debate the merits of musicians).

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:24 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
metal feeds the beast

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:49 am

Rebel wrote:
Star_Ocean wrote:Whoops, someone's angry because I hate a song they love! Oh no, call the opinion police and have me arrested! And I do love harsh vocals just as much as clean vocals. I just thought that song you posted was one of the worst examples you could have shown.

And that "controversy" bullshit you just came up with is an obvious excuse to get yourself out of the fact that you don't really know anything about Dio. Especially considering that "controversy" has nothing to do with Dio and Ozzy, but the just the fans. Ozzy and Dio don't argue with each other about who is better, do they? No, and therefore, they aren't part of that "controversy." It's called a "division of fans."

Or someone's just jealous that Dio is much more highly regarded, popular, and successful than Hansi ever will be. I mean, if Dio's still in your top 10 favorite vocalists, yet you find him immensely overrated, then you have either only listened to a couple of bands, or you're just jealous your favorite singer isn't as successful. :lol:
Way to dodge the point. And I wasn't changing my point, evidently I just didn't state it clear enough. The controversy surrounding Dio is basically that half his career he spent with already established musicians. Dio is good, yes, I'd put him around probably #7 or #6 in my all time metal vocalists, but the people who regard him as the best thing to ever happen to vocals are like the people that believe Hendrix is the best guitar player ever. They really don't have that much of a reason to believe what they believe, but because so many people believe it, it must be true. I've listened to nearly every Dio solo record, and as far as the debate between Dio and Ozzy goes Solo Dio>Solo Ozzy, but Sabbath Ozzy>Sabbath Dio, and if I gave two shits about the popularity, then the first thing I would have broken out is last.fm statistics comparing Dio Solo to Blind Guardian.
Whereas, while about the same number of people have listened to both bands, Blind Guardian has 22 million individual plays, whereas Dio only has 6 million.
I could compile the individual #s for the albums that Dio sings on with Black Sabbath and Rainbow, but then I could also add Demons and Wizards to the Hansi statistic. Even then, I'm willing to bet Hansi would be firmly in the lead.

Edit, Rainbow, TOTAL, has under 5 million plays, and Black Sabbath, TOTAL, has 25 million (Compared to Blind Guardian's 22).

Other Last.fm statistics:
Lady Gaga: 21,536,475 plays (676,016 listeners)
Ludwig van Beethoven: 9,817,132 plays (791,599 listeners)

And why aren't Tony Martin, Graham Bonnet, Joe Lynn Turner and Glenn Hughes as big names as Dio, even though they "whored" themselves to play with Blackmore and Iommi?
I see there's no point in arguing with you, since you seem to know as much about Dio as you know about Jimi Hendrix.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:00 pm

Maybe tomorrow will we get more "ifs" such as "if dio's left testicle was the original singer for blind guardian it would be the most famous band and have the most balls".

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:02 pm

I've just read through the last page of this thread again an I was rolling on the floor. Rebel, you like Hansi, that is okay. I like him to. His voice is very Powerful and Blind Guardian are awesome. But please stop talking shit about things you know nothing about.

Star_Ocean

Post by Star_Ocean » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:08 pm

Rebel wrote:

Are you honestly sure this isn't a joke post? And are you friggin' serious about that Last.FM bullshit? That is, perhaps, the weakest argument I've seen you use yet. It really is pathetic, as is the fact that you can't get over the fact that Dio is more successful, popular, and respected than Hansi. So you're backing into a pointless statistic that just makes you look worse. :lol:

And I still can't get over the fact that you say Dio whored himself out. It makes me laugh everytime you say that. But then again, I guess you don't care that Dio made himself an established musician, not just singer, while with both Rainbow and Black Sabbath? I guess you seem to forget that Dio helped write all of the albums he was involved with. And it wasn't just a fluke either, considering he garnered similar success in his solo stuff. :lol:

Go back to your Last.FM statistics to make yourself feel safer. :lol:

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:30 pm

Star_Ocean wrote:
Rebel wrote:

Are you honestly sure this isn't a joke post? And are you friggin' serious about that Last.FM bullshit? That is, perhaps, the weakest argument I've seen you use yet. It really is pathetic, as is the fact that you can't get over the fact that Dio is more successful, popular, and respected than Hansi. So you're backing into a pointless statistic that just makes you look worse. :lol:

And I still can't get over the fact that you say Dio whored himself out. It makes me laugh everytime you say that. But then again, I guess you don't care that Dio made himself an established musician, not just singer, while with both Rainbow and Black Sabbath? I guess you seem to forget that Dio helped write all of the albums he was involved with. And it wasn't just a fluke either, considering he garnered similar success in his solo stuff. :lol:

You're the one who wanted to bring popularity into the argument, and you obviously don't read your own posts if you think I'm making a weak argument.

Because I'm not sure if what you're presenting even counts as one. Basically you've resorted to three tactics your entire time.
Sarcasm
Mockery
Unsourced, Unproven, bullshit.

With over 30 million users in 200 different countries, keeping track of the songs they listen to on their computers, last.fm is the best available resource for determining the current popularity of an artist. I challenge you to find a better resource that isn't the "Star Ocean book of bullshit".

What does Dio helping write all those albums have to do with anything? As I just proved, albums that Hansi Kursch wrote music and sang on have a greater appeal to a modern audience than albums that Ronnie James Dio wrote and sang on. That is not the basis of my argument, it is a simple rebuttal to your claim that Dio is clearly the more popular musician.

But neither of them are as popular as Brittany Spears, does that make Brittany Spears the most bestest singer ever?

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:34 pm

What does writing, influence, or popularity have to do with the technique of singing?

Rating singers should be about their singing, not about what they sang, but how they sang it. Things such as vocal range, emotional range, stamina, volume control, pitch control have much more to do with singing than popularity.

Star_Ocean

Post by Star_Ocean » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:49 pm

Rebel wrote:
Star_Ocean wrote:
Rebel wrote:

You're the one who wanted to bring popularity into the argument, and you obviously don't read your own posts if you think I'm making a weak argument.

Because I'm not sure if what you're presenting even counts as one. Basically you've resorted to three tactics your entire time.
Sarcasm
Mockery

With over 30 million users in 200 different countries, keeping track of the songs they listen to on their computers, last.fm is the best available resource for determining the current popularity of an artist. I challenge you to find a better resource that isn't the "Star Ocean book of bullshit".

What does Dio helping write all those albums have to do with anything? As I just proved, albums that Hansi Kursch wrote music and sang on have a greater appeal to a modern audience than albums that Ronnie James Dio wrote and sang on. That is not the basis of my argument, it is a simple rebuttal to your claim that Dio is clearly the more popular musician.

But neither of them are as popular as Brittany Spears, does that make Brittany Spears the most bestest singer ever?
I love it when people get angry on the internet. Especially coming from someone who obviously spends too much time on it. :lol:

"Most Bestest singer"? Are you serious? MOST BESTEST!?? :lol: :lol:

And yep, the Last.Fm should be the source of all things related to music. We can ALL determine popularity based on Last.Fm statistics. Yep, we certainly can! Especially considering that 90% of the users on that website are internet freaks that spend their entire days listening to the same music over and over while chatting with their fake online girlfriends. :lol:

P.S. I think I throw out a useless statistic that is just as bullshit as yours. Dio the singer and Dio the band both have longer Wikipedia pages than Blind Guardian's page and Hansi's page. Guess that automatically means he's more popular because I can pull out a bullshit statistic out of my ass! :lol:

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:24 pm

Star_Ocean wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Star_Ocean wrote:
Rebel wrote:

Sarcasm
Mockery

I love it when people get angry on the internet. Especially coming from someone who obviously spends too much time on it. :lol:

And yep, the Last.Fm should be the source of all things related to music. We can ALL determine popularity based on Last.Fm statistics. Yep, we certainly can! Especially considering that 90% of the users on that website are internet freaks that spend their entire days listening to the same music over and over while chatting with their fake online girlfriends. :lol:

P.S. I think I throw out a useless statistic that is just as bullshit as yours. Dio the singer and Dio the band both have longer Wikipedia pages than Blind Guardian's page and Hansi's page. Guess that automatically means he's more popular because I can pull out a bullshit statistic out of my ass! :lol:
I was mocking you, you fool.
You STILL have yet to make any sort of legitimate point, so I'm going to say this is over and you have no purpose except to put your fingers in your ears and yell "Lalalallalala".

Would anyone with a maturity level past puberty like to step up and defend Dio here?

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:25 pm

If you can clearly give all the reasons why you think Dio doesn't deserve all the glory and fame he's got, I'd be happy to try.

AAAAAAAAAA 2.0

Post by AAAAAAAAAA 2.0 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:28 pm

Rebel wrote:
Star_Ocean wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Star_Ocean wrote:
Rebel wrote:

Sarcasm
Mockery

I was mocking you, you fool.
You STILL have yet to make any sort of legitimate point, so I'm going to say this is over and you have no purpose except to put your fingers in your ears and yell "Lalalallalala".

Would anyone with a maturity level past puberty like to step up and defend Dio here?
I love it when people have to scroll down all the way to find a senseless post! :lol:
:rotflmao1: :rotflmao2:

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:32 pm

Mormegil wrote:If you can clearly give all the reasons why you think Dio doesn't deserve all the glory and fame he's got, I'd be happy to try.
I'm not saying he doesn't deserve all the fame and glory he's got. He's a brilliant singer, he's got a powerful voice, and for quite some time, I believed he had the most powerful voice in metal.

I had to throw some dirt on him as bait for some Dio fans, however, I do respect him.

However, since I got into Dio, I progressively discovered there ARE better vocalists out there, not a lot, but there are.

What I am trying to make the case however, is that Hans Jurgen Kursch is a better vocalist than Ronnie James Dio. (I happen to believe he is among the best metal singers ever, but that's way too hard to debate). I am making the case of Kursch based on a superior vocal range, melodic range, tonal range, and overall vocal power.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:55 pm

Rebel wrote:
Mormegil wrote:If you can clearly give all the reasons why you think Dio doesn't deserve all the glory and fame he's got, I'd be happy to try.
I'm not saying he doesn't deserve all the fame and glory he's got. He's a brilliant singer, he's got a powerful voice, and for quite some time, I believed he had the most powerful voice in metal.

I had to throw some dirt on him as bait for some Dio fans, however, I do respect him.

However, since I got into Dio, I progressively discovered there ARE better vocalists out there, not a lot, but there are.

What I am trying to make the case however, is that Hans Jurgen Kursch is a better vocalist than Ronnie James Dio. (I happen to believe he is among the best metal singers ever, but that's way too hard to debate). I am making the case of Kursch based on a superior vocal range, melodic range, tonal range, and overall vocal power.
superior vocal range / melodic range: No question about that. Doesn't make him a superior vocalist per se though.
overall vocal power: This is subjective and in my opinion certainly THE area where Dio beats every metal vocalist I've ever heard. Rob Halford in his prime is a close second.

Another point to support Dio: During his career he hasn't lost any power from his voice. At the ripe age of 176 or smthn he sounds exactly the same as on Elf's self titled debut.

Sure there are technically better guitarists than Ritchie Blackmore, Tony Iommi, or Jimmy Page, but they based their style on developing what these giants created. Same goes for singing heavy metal. It's called evolution and doesn't make any link in the chain any lesser or superior than the ones that proceeded or succeeded them. What they had to work with and what they made out if is what should define the importance of anyone.
I understand this is not relevant to the point you are making, but I think you should speak more respectfully about people without whom you wouldn't have what you take for granted today. Goes for everything in life, whether if it's just a rock band, or independence of the country you live in.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:11 pm

Mormegil wrote:
Rebel wrote:

superior vocal range / melodic range: No question about that. Doesn't make him a superior vocalist per se though.
overall vocal power: This is subjective and in my opinion certainly THE area where Dio beats every metal vocalist I've ever heard. Rob Halford in his prime is a close second.

Another point to support Dio: During his career he hasn't lost any power from his voice. At the ripe age of 176 or smthn he sounds exactly the same as on Elf's self titled debut.

Sure there are technically better guitarists than Ritchie Blackmore, Tony Iommi, or Jimmy Page, but they based their style on developing what these giants created. Same goes for singing heavy metal. It's called evolution and doesn't make any link in the chain any lesser or superior than the ones that proceeded or succeeded them.
I kind of equate Hansi to Buckethead.
There is a whole slew of really good guitarists out there, very influential, talented guitarists, which I have more than a lot of respect for, but then one day I discovered buckethead, and realized that the things he can do with his guitar, are straight up inhuman (Not to mention they sound really, REALLY good). But Buckethead arguments will NEVER end.

To Blind Guardian's credit, they have among the most loyal, dedicated fanbases you could ever ask for from any band. In an era when people aren't buying music, aren't going to concerts, and spending more time bickering on youtube comment threads than listening to music, Blind Guardian commands what might be the most rabid fanbase in all of heavy metal.
We've all heard the spine chilling live performances of "the bard's song", and as extraordinary as that is, there are plenty of bands that can coax the crowd into singing, how many fanbases can sing entire songs (In a foriegn language) at every concert without fail, that's a bit more rare, but then you get to performances like the Valhalla performance at Coburg in 2003
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ_VFJn2kJM

Blind Guardian Open Air at Coburg is a festival of legendary proportions, it's something that comes along once in a decade maybe. (Yeah, I realize that Wacken is bigger, but this was a single band's festival).

Have you heard the Blind Guardian album titled "A Night at the Opera"?, yes, there's a lot of studio layering in there, but nobody held it against Freddie Mercury. That's just an absolute vocal masterpiece.

Also.

Just to really drive the point home, The Epic Sequel to the 101 rules of Power Metal (AKA Rules 102-203) clearly state,

42. Hansi is God.
43. Singers aren't allowed balls unless they are Hansi, because he is God.

http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/fun_commen ... essage_id=

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:29 pm

Mormegil wrote:
Rebel wrote:

Sure there are technically better guitarists than Ritchie Blackmore, Tony Iommi, or Jimmy Page, but they based their style on developing what these giants created. Same goes for singing heavy metal. It's called evolution and doesn't make any link in the chain any lesser or superior than the ones that proceeded or succeeded them. What they had to work with and what they made out if is what should define the importance of anyone.
I understand this is not relevant to the point you are making, but I think you should speak more respectfully about people without whom you wouldn't have what you take for granted today. Goes for everything in life, whether if it's just a rock band, or independence of the country you live in.
Really great point there Mormegil, it was worded much better then anything I could come up with

Rebel:if I've ever come off as attacking you I certainly didn't mean it. I hold both Hansi Kursch and Dio in very high regard, but to me comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges, it's common knowledge that someone is going to like one over the other, so in the interest of trying to see things eye to eye how about we say that some consider Hansi the best singer and some consider Dio to be the best singer.
metal feeds the beast

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:37 pm

I have no intentions of attacking anyone, the most I'll do is drop a bait to shake people out of the "No you" , "No YOU" argument

I mean yeah, it does irritate me that Dio jumped around so much in his career, but whatever, he did what he had to do to get recognition, I have more respect for singers that get along with their bands and show a career of consistency.

Hansi, I think has actually gotten better since his debut album, due to the fact that he gave up bass. On Imaginations from the other side, he sounds like a good vocalist. But on Nightfall in Middle Earth he starts to sound like an extraordinary vocalist, and by ANATO, he sounds like the best vocalist of modern metal

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:40 pm

Thanks hiro. :)
Rebel wrote:
Mormegil wrote:
Rebel wrote:

Sure there are technically better guitarists than Ritchie Blackmore, Tony Iommi, or Jimmy Page, but they based their style on developing what these giants created. Same goes for singing heavy metal. It's called evolution and doesn't make any link in the chain any lesser or superior than the ones that proceeded or succeeded them.
I kind of equate Hansi to Buckethead.
There is a whole slew of really good guitarists out there, very influential, talented guitarists, which I have more than a lot of respect for, but then one day I discovered buckethead, and realized that the things he can do with his guitar, are straight up inhuman (Not to mention they sound really, REALLY good). But Buckethead arguments will NEVER end.

To Blind Guardian's credit, they have among the most loyal, dedicated fanbases you could ever ask for from any band. In an era when people aren't buying music, aren't going to concerts, and spending more time bickering on youtube comment threads than listening to music, Blind Guardian commands what might be the most rabid fanbase in all of heavy metal.
We've all heard the spine chilling live performances of "the bard's song", and as extraordinary as that is, there are plenty of bands that can coax the crowd into singing, how many fanbases can sing entire songs (In a foriegn language) at every concert without fail, that's a bit more rare, but then you get to performances like the Valhalla performance at Coburg in 2003
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ_VFJn2kJM

Blind Guardian Open Air at Coburg is a festival of legendary proportions, it's something that comes along once in a decade maybe. (Yeah, I realize that Wacken is bigger, but this was a single band's festival).

Have you heard the Blind Guardian album titled "A Night at the Opera"?, yes, there's a lot of studio layering in there, but nobody held it against Freddie Mercury. That's just an absolute vocal masterpiece.

Also.

Just to really drive the point home, The Epic Sequel to the 101 rules of Power Metal (AKA Rules 102-203) clearly state,

42. Hansi is God.
43. Singers aren't allowed balls unless they are Hansi, because he is God.

http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/fun_commen ... essage_id=
Don't think I'm undermining Hansi in any way. I'm huuuge fan of Blind Guardian (top listened artist on my Last.fm with 2077 palys, second being Stratovarius with mere 1370).
A Night At The Opera has my favourite song of all time, And Then There Was Silence, so I have indeed listened to it (and all the other BG albums) way more than any sane person should. :D

...But I still say that when it comes to ballsy voice, no one I've heard can touch Dio. :)

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:50 pm

Rebel:I'm glad we've had that understanding, I think we can be friends :D

Mormegil:That's pretty much my opinion as well, I like Dio slightly better but it's perfectly fine if someone doesn't like him as much.
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:02 am

I don't really care about better, but if in had my pick of the two, I would pick hansi. He has a tone that I prefer and I prefer tone to other aspects of singing. tony kakko is my number one but there is no way i would say he is best singer or something. he is the one that i would most like to have the same voice as.

AAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAA » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:05 am

:lol: :lol: How can you go on and on about returning to dreamspace. Return for Gods sake and don't nagnag about it in eternity. :roll: :roll:

Intiaani
Location:Buried Alive by Jens The Undertaker at Black... SABBATH!

Post by Intiaani » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:30 am

I actually liked that rawer Imaginations from the Other Side. I think this album kind of culminated this style of his, which he can change on and off just like he wants to. He was especially great on Nightfall as well, reaching some completely new heights, still not losing much of these "balls", this "rawness" in his voice that got better and better in every album. Although I don't like ANatO Kürsch that much anymore, because he basically turned down those raw vocals, or at least they're far in the background. Only the song Punishment Divine kind of keeps the aggressive Hansi vocals as its main attraction, the rest don't, which for me is a bad thing - I liked him singing his ass off to songs like The Script for My Requiem in style which he mastered somewhere around Imaginations / Forgotten Tales, more than I liked the more polished ultra-layered vox on Opera.

I cannot compare him to Dio, though. While Kürsch is even more of my favorite (Dio is "only" on the third position, at maximum :P), Dio has just lately developed a new, more brutal singing style, without still, at age of 67, losing hardly anything of his heights. Sometimes he sings like he's got a hell of a flue now, but when the song gets to the hard high points (usually on choruses) he just transforms back into that glorious Dio from the 70s and 80s. I think he can sing about anything these days except the note on the word "a" in the song Heaven and Hell ("Sing me a song, you're a singer / do me A wrong, you're a bringer of evil") and possibly higher stuff. Someone with actual knowledge of notes and some absolute note ear could possibly name that note for me and tell wherever else Dio's sung at least that thing. Anyway, he still goes high enough for the 99,9% of his material. :D And if he wants to, he's more aggressive than ever singing the verses. The ending of Children of the Sea has never sounded more brutal than it did earlier this year when I saw Heaven and Hell live. Also his interpretation of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen on some christmas record is raw as hell. I think this "bogey" Dio is a natural voice for him nowadays, but he can still do the high note stuff as well. Mostly. :)

Anyway, we're talking about two of my most favorite singers here. I cannot but praise their talent and diversity, and most of all what they sound to me. I don't think there are some facts or fictions about who is "the best". There are as many opinions as there are listeners.

Still speaking of powerful voices, what about Sammet? I think his style is more to yell than sing to be exact. He is not by any means my favorite as a vocalist, mostly because his godawful over-the-top vibration he seems to use on purpose, but ain't he powerful anyway? Also, you people need to get your hands on the band Wuthering Heights records Far from the Madding Crowd and The Shadow Cabinet, both sang by a Swede named Nils Patrik Johansson. THE most versatile singer in metal I've heard, what I think of anyway. And powerful as heck. And ballsy, sometimes, when it fits, let's say "usually". He's got a very own style naturally. In fact someone who reviewed Far from the Madding Crowd asked the mastermind, multi-instrumentalist, main composer of the band, Erik Ravn, why there aren't any mentions of that second wonderful singer on the record. Erik answered that there isn't because it's the same guy singing all the vocals. :D Strangely he doesn't use his full ability on Astral Doors or Lion's Share as far as I know anyway, although although he sings in both bands as well. Maybe Ravn just has that musical sence of using him the composers on those bands can only dream of.

<EDIT> And too bad that Valhalla video was cut too early. As Thomen, the drummer, stops the song for the second time... the crowd still keeps going after first cheering a bit! :lol:
"In Soviet Russia, Stratovarius listens to you!"
- Soviet Russia on Stratovarius

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:41 am

Intiaani wrote: Still speaking of powerful voices, what about Sammet? I think his style is more to yell than sing to be exact. He is not by any means my favorite as a vocalist, mostly because his godawful over-the-top vibration he seems to use on purpose, but ain't he powerful anyway? Also, you people need to get your hands on the band Wuthering Heights records Far from the Madding Crowd and The Shadow Cabinet, both sang by a Swede named Nils Patrik Johansson. THE most versatile singer in metal I've heard, what I think of anyway. And powerful as heck. And ballsy, sometimes, when it fits, let's say "usually". He's got a very own style naturally. In fact someone who reviewed Far from the Madding Crowd asked the mastermind, multi-instrumentalist, main composer of the band, Erik Ravn, why there aren't any mentions of that second wonderful singer on the record. Erik answered that there isn't because it's the same guy singing all the vocals. :D Strangely he doesn't use his full ability on Astral Doors or Lion's Share as far as I know anyway, although although he sings in both bands as well. Maybe Ravn just has that musical sence of using him the composers on those bands can only dream of.
I like Nils Patrik Johansson as much as the next gut, but he is really just a modern-day version of Dio. Which isn't a bad thing at all since 2 other favourite singers of mine are basicly a modern-day version of Rob Halford and a modern-day version of David Coverdale.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:25 am

alright first off, nobody knows how old Dio is, not even Dio, because he clearly lies about his age.

I also am quite a fan of his Imaginations vocals, but "And Then there was Silence" Is possibly the best power metal song ever written.

And yes. That Valhalla video is so fucking epic, I can't even imagine what the band was feeling on stage at that point.

And if you haven't read those rules. Do so, they're absofuckinglutely hysterical
I lost track of how many times they told you not to be Timo Tolkki.

"Be Michael Kiske"

"If you can't be Michael Kiske, then be Timo Tolkki"

"On second thought, don't be Timo Tolkki"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:35 am

I don't think rawness or manliness is a good way to rate singers since it puts tenors at a natural disadvantage to baritones and really has nothing to do with how well a singer can perform in range. A tenor can rough it up all he wants; he still won't sound as manly as a baritone or bass. The power and control that a singer can put behind his range is a better way to go I think.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:39 am

icecab21 wrote:I don't think rawness or manliness is a good way to rate singers since it puts tenors at a natural disadvantage to baritones and really has nothing to do with how well a singer can perform in range. A tenor can rough it up all he wants; he still won't sound as manly as a baritone or bass. The power and control that a singer can put behind his range is a better way to go I think.
I heard a pretty interesting debate basically asking "What the fuck is Hansi? Is he a Tenor? Baritone? Bass?"

There wasn't really a clear classification.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:24 am

Um I don't know where it says he lies about his age, he was born in 1942, he's about the same age as Jon Lord formerly of Deep Purple. The man is about 67 years old.
metal feeds the beast

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:27 am

hiro23 wrote:Um I don't know where it says he lies about his age, he was born in 1942, he's about the same age as Jon Lord formerly of Deep Purple. The man is about 67 years old.
He claims he was born in 1948 though (And other sources say 1947).
Yes, 1942 makes the most sense, but there's corntroversy.