Stratovarius on "Seven Sinners" tour w/ Helloween

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
rikkertje
Re: Stratovarius on "Seven Sinners" tour w/ Helloween

Post by rikkertje » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:34 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:Well, they will "only" play about an hour, so I guess the setlist will be kinda short.
That's true. Let's make it like this then.

Intro
Deep Unknown
Forever Free
Galaxies
Blind
Eagleheart
Emancipation Suites I & II
Speed of Light
King of Nothing
Forever is Today
Winter
Falling Star
Legions, or maybe a song from the new album

At least no more A Million Lightyears Away, Phoenix, Hunting High and Low blablabla. I like those songs. But they've been in the setlist since 2006. Time for something new I would say. :)

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:11 am

Basically, I think a good mix of classic hits (even though there are so many to choose from!) and newer and/or lesser played songs is needed.

I understand it must be hard for the band though, considering they don't tour as much as some other bands and they want to play all the great favorites, but they also probably want to squeeze in new stuff. If you took all the best Strato songs you could easily make a 2-3 hour concert... too bad Strato doesn't do "An Evening With" tours like Dream Theater! :P

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:03 am

rikkertje wrote:

Intro
Deep Unknown
Forever Free
Galaxies
Blind
Eagleheart
Speed of Light
King of Nothing
Forever is Today
Winter
Falling Star

At least no more A Million Lightyears Away, Phoenix, Hunting High and Low blablabla. I like those songs. But they've been in the setlist since 2006. Time for something new I would say. :)
I like this set list! Although I would probably change Winter for Nightfall. Legions is perfect as the closer!

AMBR@BEC

Re: Stratovarius on "Seven Sinners" tour w/ Hellow

Post by AMBR@BEC » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:05 am

JensJohansson wrote:We are really happy to announce today that we have been invited to join Helloween's Seven Sinners tour package at the end of this year.

Naturally we accepted, since the idea is that our new album will be finished before the first date on the tour.
Well now that's two pieces of really good news. Awesome tour indeed. Hopefully more dates will be added. Looking forward to both new albums.
“He who despairs of the human condition is a coward, but he who has hope for it is a fool” A. Camus

Beyond Ear Candy Metal Radio
beyondearcandy.com
Photos from 2008 Winter NAMM and Blog on Ben in Iraq on MySpace myspace.com/ambr_bec

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:57 am

Florian wrote:You've forgotten something : first, you're just talking about your tastes. Then, Gamma Ray is Kai Hansen's band, and Kai is the godfather of the genre.
I really think Kai's contributions are overrated in Helloween. Helloween are the godfathers of the genre, and that's thanks to Michael Weikath. Gamma Ray is just the project that spawned out of Helloween. If you have Helloween then you have the birth of the genre. 3 German bands is a bit unbalanced too

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:55 am

Rebel wrote:
Florian wrote:You've forgotten something : first, you're just talking about your tastes. Then, Gamma Ray is Kai Hansen's band, and Kai is the godfather of the genre.
I really think Kai's contributions are overrated in Helloween. Helloween are the godfathers of the genre, and that's thanks to Michael Weikath. Gamma Ray is just the project that spawned out of Helloween. If you have Helloween then you have the birth of the genre. 3 German bands is a bit unbalanced too
But the big four of thrash metal was all-American. ;) I too prefer Angra many times over the current Gamma Ray, but I don't think they have (yet) been nearly as influential to the genre. Rhapsody of Fire could be added to the lot, but in my opinion there's no way you can leave Kai Hansen out of this.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:13 am

Mormegil wrote:
Rebel wrote:
But the big four of thrash metal was all-American. ;) I too prefer Angra many times over the current Gamma Ray, but I don't think they have (yet) been nearly as influential to the genre. Rhapsody of Fire could be added to the lot, but in my opinion there's no way you can leave Kai Hansen out of this.
It's Kai's fault for leaving Helloween. Gamma Ray has been pretty bland, and uncreative, and I think without a doubt Angra's albums have been more highly regarded if you take out the "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGKAIHANSEN"

If you look at it this way, there are three major scenes of power metal
Scandanavia
Mainland Europe
and South America
Scandanavia's power metal is all descended from Stratovarius
Mainland Europe's from Helloween
and the most significant South American Power Metal band is by far Angra

You could of course argue that there is a large United states power metal scene, but the best bands (Kamelot, Iced Earth, Symphony X) are all considered "Impure" by the real USPM fans, (Either for sounding very European, incorporating non-power metal elements, or being more prog than power)
But, you take those three bands, that lead the biggest schools of power metal, and the fourth, you take the most successful power metal band, Blind Guardian.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:29 am

Rebel wrote: It's Kai's fault for leaving Helloween. Gamma Ray has been pretty bland, and uncreative, and I think without a doubt Angra's albums have been more highly regarded if you take out the "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGKAIHANSEN"
I agree on this. I haven't even purchased their latest album after listening to some of the songs in it. I'm really excited about the new Angra though.
Rebel wrote:If you look at it this way, there are three major scenes of power metal
Scandanavia
Mainland Europe
and South America
Scandanavia's power metal is all descended from Stratovarius
Mainland Europe's from Helloween
and the most significant South American Power Metal band is by far Angra

You could of course argue that there is a large United states power metal scene, but the best bands (Kamelot, Iced Earth, Symphony X) are all considered "Impure" by the real USPM fans, (Either for sounding very European, incorporating non-power metal elements, or being more prog than power)
That's interesting, what are considered pure US power metal bands then? I rather thought that an overwhelming majority of all power metal bands from South America to Japan are more or less children of Helloween, with some added elements of their own. I very rarely hear any regional sound in them, unless you're one of the few ones incorporating folk elements, like Angra.
Rebel wrote:But, you take those three bands, that lead the biggest schools of power metal, and the fourth, you take the most successful power metal band, Blind Guardian.
That I can definitely agree on too.

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:15 am

Babylon wrote:
rikkertje wrote:

Intro
Deep Unknown
Forever Free
Galaxies
Blind
Eagleheart
Speed of Light
King of Nothing
Forever is Today
Winter
Falling Star

I like this set list! Although I would probably change Winter for Nightfall. Legions is perfect as the closer!
Nightfall is really cool too! So it could change place with Winter. But I don't know what it is, I just love, love, love the chorus of Winter.

Florian

Post by Florian » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:06 am

Rebel wrote:
So you don't really know anything about Helloween, Gamma Ray and Kai Hansen. First, Kai is the founding member of the band. Then he wrote or co-wrote a lot of songs for the first four albums. And who wrote awesome solos such as those from "I'm Alive" and so on ?
Rebel wrote:
Mormegil wrote:
Rebel wrote:
It's Kai's fault for leaving Helloween. Gamma Ray has been pretty bland, and uncreative, and I think without a doubt Angra's albums have been more highly regarded if you take out the "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGKAIHANSEN"
Kai left Helloween, and do you know why ? Obviously the answer is no. Kai left Helloween because of Weikath, this asshole who made the life in the band unbearable. Then, Kai left the band, and what does Helloween release ? Pink Bubbles Go Ape and Chameleon. There were a few good songs on the first one, but Chameleon is one of the most shameful albums released by a metal band. Kai had the band's soul in his hands. Anyway, he is the most influential figure of the genre and you can't say anything against that. Or you'll show again how you don't know about him.

moonstone

Post by moonstone » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:26 pm

Florian wrote:I live in France too but I'm not so scared about it. They can do one or two dates later :wink:
I trust they will : there was a WARM welcome last time they played , I love the atmosphere of shared rapture and all knowing the songs :))

Keep me posted for a next time so we can cheer together !!
" After the storm there's a calm
Through the clouds shines a ray of the sun "

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:42 pm

Florian wrote: So you don't really know anything about Helloween, Gamma Ray and Kai Hansen. First, Kai is the founding member of the band. Then he wrote or co-wrote a lot of songs for the first four albums. And who wrote awesome solos such as those from "I'm Alive" and so on ?
Actually the band was founded as a collaboration between Weikath and Kai Hansen, Kai wrote a bit more music than Weiki in the early days, but I happen to think Weikath's songs are better
Kai left Helloween, and do you know why ? Obviously the answer is no. Kai left Helloween because of Weikath, this asshole who made the life in the band unbearable. Then, Kai left the band, and what does Helloween release ? Pink Bubbles Go Ape and Chameleon. There were a few good songs on the first one, but Chameleon is one of the most shameful albums released by a metal band. Kai had the band's soul in his hands. Anyway, he is the most influential figure of the genre and you can't say anything against that. Or you'll show again how you don't know about him.
Weikath made Hansen leave Helloween??? That's what you think? Obviously I know a bit more about it than you. If you think those tensions were created by anyone other than Mr. Michael "Too good for Metal" Kiske himself, you're flat out wrong. Kiske got tired of power metal after two albums, the rest of the band compromised, because they figured Kiske was a big part of their success, but Kai Hansen wasn't willing to, simple as that. When the band got Roland Grapow and Uli Kusch in the mix they also happened to strike upon one of the greatest lineups in power metal history from a compositional standpoint.

I'll say it again, Kai Hansen is overrated by people who worship the first two Keepers far more than they deserve to be.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:23 pm

rikkertje wrote:
Babylon wrote:
rikkertje wrote:

Intro
Deep Unknown
Forever Free
Galaxies
Blind
Eagleheart
Speed of Light
King of Nothing
Forever is Today
Winter
Falling Star

Nightfall is really cool too! So it could change place with Winter. But I don't know what it is, I just love, love, love the chorus of Winter.
You realize this is Helloween's tour, right? Strato is guest and I doubt they will play all those songs. :roll:

Florian

Post by Florian » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:52 pm

Rebel wrote:
Florian wrote: So you don't really know anything about Helloween, Gamma Ray and Kai Hansen. First, Kai is the founding member of the band. Then he wrote or co-wrote a lot of songs for the first four albums. And who wrote awesome solos such as those from "I'm Alive" and so on ?
Actually the band was founded as a collaboration between Weikath and Kai Hansen, Kai wrote a bit more music than Weiki in the early days, but I happen to think Weikath's songs are better
Weikath made Hansen leave Helloween??? That's what you think? Obviously I know a bit more about it than you. If you think those tensions were created by anyone other than Mr. Michael "Too good for Metal" Kiske himself, you're flat out wrong. Kiske got tired of power metal after two albums, the rest of the band compromised, because they figured Kiske was a big part of their success, but Kai Hansen wasn't willing to, simple as that. When the band got Roland Grapow and Uli Kusch in the mix they also happened to strike upon one of the greatest lineups in power metal history from a compositional standpoint.

I'll say it again, Kai Hansen is overrated by people who worship the first two Keepers far more than they deserve to be.
And... Do you take any drugs ?

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:31 pm

Rebel wrote:
Florian wrote:

So you don't really know anything about Helloween, Gamma Ray and Kai Hansen. First, Kai is the founding member of the band. Then he wrote or co-wrote a lot of songs for the first four albums. And who wrote awesome solos such as those from "I'm Alive" and so on ?

Quote:

And... Do you take any drugs ?
Guys GUYS!!! RELAX!!! :!:

two little details......

1) saying that KAI is overrated is saying by default that everything Kai did is no not so good, and I think the hymn of power metal is a hansen penned song called "I want out", I dont really think we need to argue about this is simply a fact. and the kepeers album are just classics for gods sake, what album is more influetial that those two? (in power metal I mean)

2) I have to say that roland and uli were great in helloween, and they helped to resurrect the band in early 90s, but lets face it, since kai went neither helloween or gamma ray had achieve the great success they had together, I will put my money on a helloween reunion , Im sure they blow out those tickets in a minute.
A9

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:22 am

I'd like to say that Angra might have Rata Blanca to thank for their success, since Rata Blanca was/is a big South American power metal band that was formed 7 years prior to Angra's formation.

Also, Angra isn't nearly as influential or popular as Gamma Ray has been. Gamma Ray deserves a spot in this hypothetical Big Four of Power Metal tour much more than Angra.

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:09 am

NeverendingAbyss wrote:
rikkertje wrote:
Babylon wrote:
rikkertje wrote:

Intro
Deep Unknown
Forever Free
Galaxies
Blind
Eagleheart
Speed of Light
King of Nothing
Forever is Today
Winter
Falling Star

You realize this is Helloween's tour, right? Strato is guest and I doubt they will play all those songs. :roll:
We know some of these songs will not be played on this tour and probably won't be be played on any other tour, but that doesn't mean we can't talk about it :)

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:44 am

NeverendingAbyss wrote:You realize this is Helloween's tour, right? Strato is guest and I doubt they will play all those songs. :roll:
Yes, Strato is a guest, I know. But does that mean they can't change their setlist finally? I will surely wait with buying tickets for the show in Holland. I first want to know what the set is gonna be like. If it is again Hunting High and Low, A Million Lightyears Away, Phoenix and all the other songs they play since 2006 I will not be there. I want to see and hear something fresh and new. :)

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:16 am

You have seen them play that set list how many times?
I’ve seen them play twice in the last three years, half the songs were the same, but I’m certainly not going to say that I was tired of hearing the same song twice in a 3 year time period

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:54 pm

This is great! A lot of good things coming for Stratovarius! I can't wait to know how the new album is gonna sound and see them live again in the next tour!
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:29 pm

Live album (yes I count Polaris live as one even though the release of it as a bonus cd was a bit weird) a new album and a new tour!
The next thing we need is a new DvD!

Beast_Pete

Post by Beast_Pete » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:15 am

Gonna see Stratovarius three times this year. Januar and November in Budapest, and August in Wacken. ;)
"Mikor az utolsó véred is elfolyék,
S a tested is a porba hullék,
Akkor is van még remény,
Mert a lelked továbbra is él."

- Mark Swanson -
from the book, Nick's legend

DawnIsHere

Post by DawnIsHere » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:23 am

Beast_Pete wrote:Gonna see Stratovarius three times this year. Januar and November in Budapest, and August in Wacken. ;)
Hey! I'm going to Wacken too! :)
Are you going on your own with friends or with an organized tour?
Wanna travel cool & cheap? Visit <url>here</url>

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:37 am

mayhem-for-all wrote: The next thing we need is a new DvD!
Agreed!

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:13 am

How about 2dvd 2cd (1 dvd random stuff and extras one dvd a whole live gig recorded and 2cd version of it too)

Oh and the new album could be a double or then they could release another one soon after it :D :D

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:53 pm

Dvd 1 -Over 10 hours of Pan Flute solos By Lauri

Dvd 2 - Over 9 hours of Power Metal Pyramids and Lamas slideshow

Audio cd 1 - Audiobook by Jorg on proper beer drinking

Audio cd 2 - Audiobook by Mattias teaching you proper brutal riff technique

BONUS cd - Audio of Jens' keyboard without if plugged in (just the plastic keys movement sounds) and proper coffee machine maintenance

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:04 pm

I'd kill just for the latter :shock:
---...---

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:09 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I hope that Jens is taking robo's ideas into account :lol: :lol:

Damn, can't wait for the new album and tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:11 pm

robocop656 wrote:Dvd 1 -Over 10 hours of Pan Flute solos By Lauri

Dvd 2 - Over 9 hours of Power Metal Pyramids and Lamas slideshow

Audio cd 1 - Audiobook by Jorg on proper beer drinking

Audio cd 2 - Audiobook by Mattias teaching you proper brutal riff technique

BONUS cd - Audio of Jens' keyboard without if plugged in (just the plastic keys movement sounds) and proper coffee machine maintenance
You forgot the extra Bonus CD of all of Ragehead's posts read backwards by Tony Kakko. A Strato-Sonata collaboration.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:47 pm

Babylon wrote:
mayhem-for-all wrote: The next thing we need is a new DvD!
Agreed!
+1 for sure :headbang:!
|StratoFan Forever|