Sad news about Revolution Renaissance

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
RazielSR
Re: Sad news about Revolution Renaissance

Post by RazielSR » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:13 pm

stratodan1990 wrote:
RazielSR wrote:Having Jens in the band, do you want a rhythm guitar?...
Could be an option, but I don't see Stratovarius as a band with rhythm guitarrist. It is a band with a keyboardist, an extremely talented keyboardist that can make all the sounds and they don't need rhythm guitar. I think that doesn't fit with Stratovarius music. What happened in Polaris is that you listened a lot of keyboard and less guitar and I suppose that it was because Matias was new and he was not into the band as today. The next album will have more guitar for sure and I hope, I HOPE a lot of keyboards, more than in Polaris.

Remember Elements album, that albums had a lot of keyboards too.

I like the new way that I think Stratovarius is going, some prog elements here and there and versatility without losing the essence of speed/power metal. I see it like the way Symphony X made some songs.

And about live performances, I think they have been always good the way they have been. I don't feel the necessity of having a rhythm guitar. Seems like if TT had to be in Stratovarius as something, out of necessity.

EDIT: And TT as a rhythm guitar is like having Jens being a keyboardist for a wedding. TT is a guitar player with an incredible amount of talent and technique. Should be a waste using that talent as a rhythm guitar.
I suppose, but I didn't really mean by necessity, I meant somewhat for naturally the way how the band evolved. For me, the first New Era demos with Kotipelto sounded more like the new Stratovarius album than Polaris did (Even though I like both albums)

And yeah, that is definately the way they would sound at the moment if they brought in Tolkki. I meant just a small possibility in years to come. Tolkki needs Stratovarius, and not by necessity. Stratovarius COULD benefit from him being back, but only if the band we're to gel (Forgetting 2004 onwards). Like I said, right now that is out of question. You wouldn't believe how people can change over many years...

Many fans are concerned about Tolkki.
I know, many fans (I think everybody in this forum too) is concerned about Tolkki. But, what to do? It is his life and as he always says, he should follow his thoughts and his path, so...we shouldn' be concerned.

But, you see that, the once acclaimed Timo Tolkki is now wandering in bands that are no more, in projects that are "in ice" and that hurts.

But, it was his decision, not our decision. It was his life, not ours as he said. So, if it's his life, it's his life with all the consequences. We can't repair it.

He is now out of Stratovarius, because he wanted like that. The way we are triying sometimes to introduce the genius again in the lamp, I think that is based in nostalgy. That thing is something about I know a lot, it makes me feel bad a lot of times, regarding many things in life.

The history now is Stratovarius with Matias, new album coming, a lot of tours and a fresh band again. Musically is not exactly the same band anymore, because the mainman is not anymore in the band. The band stills sounding like Stratovarius, but different. I think that's good. We can't be hearing all our lifes the same songs over and over again being the same without changes. See TT nowadays, the music he did in AoA was something new for him too.

But you know, I really continue thinking that this was necessary. The band is now better, because TT was not feeling good with this guys, nor the guys with him.

Now it's all plenty of new energy and they are all working together and enjoying their music.

TT can demonstrate again what he is, but as you can see, the things aren't going well for him (musically).

And I can tell you that if there's something that really hurts me about this whole thing, is to see TT out of Stratovarius. But, that's how it is, that's life, decisions, thoughts...

And yes, people change, like seasons. And this is a new one, mainly created by the change that somebody decided to choose.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

stratodan1990

Post by stratodan1990 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:39 pm

RazielSR wrote:I know, many fans (I think everybody in this forum too) is concerned about Tolkki. But, what to do? It is his life and as he always says, he should follow his thoughts and his path, so...we shouldn' be concerned.

But, you see that, the once acclaimed Timo Tolkki is now wandering in bands that are no more, in projects that are "in ice" and that hurts.

But, it was his decision, not our decision. It was his life, not ours as he said. So, if it's his life, it's his life with all the consequences. We can't repair it.

He is now out of Stratovarius, because he wanted like that. They way we are triying sometimes to introduce the genius again in the lamp, I think that is based in nostalgy. That thing is something about I know a lot, it makes me feel bad a lot of times, regarding many things in life.

The history now is Stratovarius with Matias, new album coming, a lot of tours and a fresh band again. Musically is not exactly the same band anymore, because the mainman is not anymore in the band. The band stills sounding like Stratovarius, but different. I think that's good. We can't be hearing all our lifes the same songs over and over again being the same without changes. See TT nowadays, the music he did in AoA was something new for him too.

But you know, I really continue thinking that this was necessary. The band is now better, because TT was not feeling good with this guys, nor the guys with him.

Now it's all plenty of new energy and they are all working together and enjoying his music.

TT can demonstrate again what he is, but as you can see, the things aren't going well for him (musically).

And I can tell you that if there's something that really hurts me in the whole thing, is to see TT out of Stratovarius. But, that's how it is, that's life, decisions, thoughts...
I agree with what you're saying, it is weirdest for the fans when you know he was for 23 years one of the driving forces of the band, then suddenly not present (and so ashame to not come back some time as it's been his life). I guess what i'm saying is that on the part of all the fans, one thing many would love to see most is (no denying how impossible this may be) seeing him back where he was best. Not just by presence but also in the music, the emotion of it. But going back to what I first said, this could only work if nothing was complicated any more.

I think complicated has to be the one word story of the last several years :lol: unfortunately.

stratodan1990

Post by stratodan1990 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:54 pm

RazielSR wrote:EDIT: And TT as a rhythm guitar is like having Jens being a keyboardist for a wedding. TT is a guitar player with an incredible amount of talent and technique. Should be a waste using that talent as a rhythm guitar.
Not necessarily TT as rhythm guitar entirely. Maybe lead and rhythm could be shared a bit. I know some bands that do that and it makes live performances awesome! :) Then there would be alot more of that talent emerged.
RazielSR wrote:And I can tell you that if there's something that really hurts me in the whole thing, is to see TT out of Stratovarius
Yes. And if there was never to be a return(someday).. :(

Babylonian

Post by Babylonian » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:11 pm

That's a ridiculous argument. You're comparing the very-average-songs from one album to the best songs from the last eleven. I easily prefer "Forever is Today" over "Just Carry On', "Deep Unknown" over "Witch Hunt", and "Winter Skies" over "Before the Winter".

Even classic albums like "Destiny" are littered with boring songs like "Venus in the Morning", "Playing With Fire", and "Years Go By". No one would prefer those over Kiss of Judas or Speed of Light either.
People usually compare band's new album to old classics. That's normal fan behaviour.
Albums need time to become classics. No album becomes a classic in a week.
Of course it's needs time to become classic, but Polaris doesn't have potential classic songs. It's a good Power Metal album, but it doesn't have classic potential.

Afterall it's strange, that some persons still want to keep the Tolkki vs Stratovarius fight alive. I mean, that when someone defends here Tolkki some people criticises him/her. Why we can't accept each other's opinions?

As to Tolkki's return to Stratovarius, I doubt, that it will happen, because Tolkki had problems with Kotipelto and Michael. I don't think, that it will work anymore.

stratodan1990

Post by stratodan1990 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:23 pm

Babylonian wrote:As to Tolkki's return to Stratovarius, I doubt, that it will happen, because Tolkki had problems with Kotipelto and Michael. I don't think, that it will work anymore.
Years go by. Problems come, some they go. You never know what's possible. It's a maybe.. just that. somewhere in time..

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:26 pm

stratodan1990 wrote:
Babylonian wrote:As to Tolkki's return to Stratovarius, I doubt, that it will happen, because Tolkki had problems with Kotipelto and Michael. I don't think, that it will work anymore.
Years go by. Problems come, some they go. You never know what's possible. It's a maybe.. just that. somewhere in time..
I suggest you cut down on the fortune cookies. :roll:

stratodan1990

Post by stratodan1990 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:36 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
stratodan1990 wrote:
I suggest you cut down on the fortune cookies. :roll:
They're good for you my friend :lol:

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:06 am

I agree it's very sad that Tolkki is no longer with the band that he's been a part of for so long and it now seems he may be leaving the music business but as Raziel said it's his decision.

Yes it would be nice if he'd never left the band but the fact is he did, and as far as Polaris being a classic or not that is once again all a matter of opinion, in mine it's one of the best albums they've done and I put it very high on my list of favorite Strato albums.

In the end the situation is what it is, we either accept it and move on or we bitch and whine and complain but still things move forward anyways.
(To clarify I am not accusing any one person of whining, I'm just speaking in general)
metal feeds the beast

Hector Leonardo

Post by Hector Leonardo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:39 am

Maybe you can explain it to me so I can understand.
The guys has been gone for three solid years in which time he has been very musically active. And is obviously doing exactly what he wants to do. This is also what Blackmore did. After Dio era he moved to a much more commercial era with Bonnet and Turner and changed members like socks only to return in the end to the beginning.
But why these things has to be brought up over and over again? I really don't get it. It seems to me like people here are still bitter because he left the band.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:10 am

Hector Leonardo wrote:Maybe you can explain it to me so I can understand.
The guys has been gone for three solid years in which time he has been very musically active. And is obviously doing exactly what he wants to do. This is also what Blackmore did. After Dio era he moved to a much more commercial era with Bonnet and Turner and changed members like socks only to return in the end to the beginning.
But why these things has to be brought up over and over again? I really don't get it. It seems to me like people here are still bitter because he left the band.
Seriously, I think some are. Maybe not bitter, but still have not gotten over it. As they say, actions(and posts)speak louder than words.
Three years already? Wow! Where has the time gone!
In my opinion, I think Tolkki has done rather well. Many bands never get out of the garage, or have just one album. He has 3 albums in RR. And, TT has many musical talents, so he will survive and go on in the business.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:34 am

Hector Leonardo wrote: But why these things has to be brought up over and over again? I really don't get it. It seems to me like people here are still bitter because he left the band.
I understand you. People still ask Kevin Moore why he left Dream Theater, and Michael Kiske why he left Helloween. That was over 15 years ago! 3 years is nothing. :lol:

For instance, Lorena Bobbett could devote the rest of her life to chemistry but she will ultimately be known for severing her husbands penis. :roll:

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:46 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:Lorena Bobbett could devote the rest of her life to chemistry but she will ultimately be known for severing her husbands penis. :roll:
Can that be called mutilation if it's circumcised?

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:11 am

NeverendingAbyss wrote:
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:Lorena Bobbett could devote the rest of her life to chemistry but she will ultimately be known for severing her husbands penis. :roll:
Can that be called mutilation if it's circumcised?
Priapus knows... :eyes

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:54 am

There in lies the thing, Tolkki leaving Stratovarius was a huge event and people will remember it for years to come, I mean people still remember when Blackmore left Deep purple for Rainbow.

People will remember when Ozzy got fired from Sabbath to be replaced by Dio, When Kiske left to be replaced with Deris.

These are just things that are going to be etched in our minds for a long time.
metal feeds the beast

MetalNat

Post by MetalNat » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:31 pm

I think Timo Tolkki is exactly like Richie Blackmore and Bono. The new track sounds awesome not at all like a cheap copy of his former tunes with worse band and production.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:23 pm

MetalNat wrote:I think Timo Tolkki is exactly like Richie Blackmore and Bono. The new track sounds awesome not at all like a cheap copy of his former tunes with worse band and production.
x2
A9

Intiaani
Location:Buried Alive by Jens The Undertaker at Black... SABBATH!

Post by Intiaani » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:36 pm

Yeah, a pretty groovy song at first, although I think it might become boring pretty fast. There's too much this metallized Scorpions rock in the vain of Sammet already. :D Good format, needs more changes and spices to it though, like Luca Turilli's Angels of the Winter Dawn from the album The Infinite Wonders of Creation.

Now that we're in this, could someone tell me what album-oriented rock actually is... :D This is it, right, if there's a whole album with songs like this? I never understood it when I read its Wikipedia article a few years back...

Anyway, the solo! :shock: It certainly didn't sound like Tolkki at all.

This brought to my mind stuff like Place Vendome, newer Avantasia and Age of Aquarius. Nothing special, except the solo was really special. :o
"In Soviet Russia, Stratovarius listens to you!"
- Soviet Russia on Stratovarius

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:51 pm

Intiaani wrote:Yeah, a pretty groovy song at first, although I think it might become boring pretty fast. There's too much this metallized Scorpions rock in the vain of Sammet already. :D Good format, needs more changes and spices to it though, like Luca Turilli's Angels of the Winter Dawn from the album The Infinite Wonders of Creation.

Now that we're in this, could someone tell me what album-oriented rock actually is... :D This is it, right, if there's a whole album with songs like this? I never understood it when I read its Wikipedia article a few years back...

Anyway, the solo! :shock: It certainly didn't sound like Tolkki at all.

This brought to my mind stuff like Place Vendome, newer Avantasia and Age of Aquarius. Nothing special, except the solo was really special. :o
AoR was a term that cropped up around radio DJs tending to focus more on album tracks than singles. Generally speaking, there was a specific sound of rock that attracted these DJs and the term AoR cropped up around it.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:04 am

Wasn't even Rainbow considered AOR at some point?
metal feeds the beast

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:53 am

hiro23 wrote:Wasn't even Rainbow considered AOR at some point?
Yeah, the 80s albums had severe AOR influences.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:57 am

Rebel wrote:
the only with graham bonnet, they had a hit on the charts and everything
A9

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:58 am

adrian9 wrote:
Rebel wrote:
the only with graham bonnet, they had a hit on the charts and everything
Graham Bonnet's album was decent, but he was Rainbow's third best singer, the first Joe Lynn Turner album was the more AOR-Influenced stuff.
I Surrender, which was covered live on Intermission, is a Joe Lynn Turner era Rainbow song.
Tolkki is HUGELY influenced by Rainbow (All eras), you listen to their discography, and even down to some of the song titles how much he worshipped Blackmore.
Deep Purple was an important band too (Jens' place in the band is very similar to what Jon Lord was to Deep Purple), but Rainbow is probably closer to Stratovarius in sound (at times) than Sonata Arctica.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:49 am

They are actually derived from each other, Blackmore was influenced by the Classical composers like Beethoven and Bach and it showed in his playing, Tolkki was influenced by Blackmore and it shows in Stratovarius and Tony Kakko was influenced by Stratovarius and it shows in Sonata Arctica.

So to me it's more like they are all the next generation of each other.
metal feeds the beast

Intiaani
Location:Buried Alive by Jens The Undertaker at Black... SABBATH!

Post by Intiaani » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:06 pm

Wait wat? Did I completely post my Dreamchild comments to the Sad News About RR thread? ;_;
"In Soviet Russia, Stratovarius listens to you!"
- Soviet Russia on Stratovarius

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:03 pm

So, this was too long to read...What's new in 3 words?
|StratoFan Forever|

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:59 am

ggonza43 wrote:So, this was too long to read...What's new in 3 words?
They are gone

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:38 am

ggonza43 wrote:So, this was too long to read...What's new in 3 words?
mayhem for all
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:22 pm

Tolkki's new book

ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ

Post by ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:31 pm

Shit, shit, shit.

Polaris

Post by Polaris » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:43 pm

RazielSR wrote: I know, many fans (I think everybody in this forum too) is concerned about Tolkki. But, what to do? It is his life and as he always says, he should follow his thoughts and his path, so...we shouldn' be concerned.

He is now out of Stratovarius, because he wanted like that. The way we are triying sometimes to introduce the genius again in the lamp, I think that is based in nostalgy. That thing is something about I know a lot, it makes me feel bad a lot of times, regarding many things in life.

Now it's all plenty of new energy and they are all working together and enjoying their music.

And I can tell you that if there's something that really hurts me about this whole thing, is to see TT out of Stratovarius. But, that's how it is, that's life, decisions, thoughts...

And yes, people change, like seasons. And this is a new one, mainly created by the change that somebody decided to choose.
I agree with you in every word man! :wink: