Why does Japan always get bonus tracks?

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
bockrocker
Why does Japan always get bonus tracks?

Post by bockrocker » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:13 pm

Have tried to find an answer to this before. Something to do with imported CDs being much cheaper in Japan than locally produced copies.

But basically, my question is - why do the artists do it? I can see how a Japanese retailer is in favor of selling a Japanese edition CD for $30 instead of an import for $15. But what is the motivation for the artist? Why do they care if their fan buys a CD pressed locally or one from Europe? If they don't make a Japanese edition, do the record labels in the country refuse to carry the album anywhere or something? And would that matter? (I can't remember the last time I bought a CD from a shop and not from a website)

Inquiring minds want to know!

stratodan1990

Re: Why does Japan always get bonus tracks?

Post by stratodan1990 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:54 pm

If they don't make a Japanese edition, do the record labels in the country refuse to carry the album anywhere or something
I don't think its quite like that, but my knowledge on this is limited.

CDs in Japan cost a lot more to buy..so I think sort of a homage to that. Because if they don't add those extra tracks in Japan, they're less likely to buy the album, resulting in the less sales for the band. I think it's mainly just that. I'm sure Jens once posted the situation they are in, which explained just about everything.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:17 am

Because they give us anime.

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:49 am

NeverendingAbyss wrote:Because they give us anime.
Question, what if i don't want it?

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:52 am

Kosmo wrote:
Question, what if i don't want it?
That's what she said. :roll:

AAAAAAAAAAAA 3.0

Post by AAAAAAAAAAAA 3.0 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:59 am

That's what she said.

Not funny :eyes :eyes :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:04 am

AAAAAAAAAAAA 3.0 wrote:
That's what she said.

Not funny :eyes :eyes :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:
I gave it my best. :buh:

Star_Ocean

Post by Star_Ocean » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:06 am

All the more reason to nuke Japan again.

Burning Reflection

Post by Burning Reflection » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:44 pm

^ I can't believe people find it funny to joke about or find it acceptable to drop a Nuclear bomb on any human being. Let's drop a nuke on your head or family and see how funny that'd be.

The bonus track thing with Japan has less to do with the artist and more with the record companies. They want to give Japan an edge against international competitor's prices. Record companies and Japanese businesses don't want Japanese people to buy CDs outside of the country (from places like Eastern Europe for example) for cheaper. So the record companies give the Japanese things like bonus tracks, special packaging, exclusive editions etc. (for considerably more money) as an incentive. Hope that helps ;)

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:11 am

Burning Reflection wrote:^ I can't believe people find it funny to joke about or find it acceptable to drop a Nuclear bomb on any human being. Let's drop a nuke on your head or family and see how funny that'd be.
What a deep thought! :shock: :shock:

Star_Ocean

Post by Star_Ocean » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:29 am

Burning Reflection wrote:^ I can't believe people find it funny to joke about or find it acceptable to drop a Nuclear bomb on any human being. Let's drop a nuke on your head or family and see how funny that'd be.

Fine by me. The less human beings on the planet, the better. We are overpopulated by about 6 billion people, so a bunch of people dying does not bother me.

Plisken

Post by Plisken » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:45 am

Star_Ocean wrote:

Fine by me. The less human beings on the planet, the better. We are overpopulated by about 6 billion people, so a bunch of people dying does not bother me.
0_o? we are overpopulated BY about 6 billion? you know there are about 6 billion humans alive in total on earth right?

A bunch of people dying doesnt bother you huh? less humans the better right? so go kill yourself, that way your happy and the rest of the world is happy!

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:43 am

The bonus track thing with Japan has less to do with the artist and more with the record companies. They want to give Japan an edge against international competitor's prices. Record companies and Japanese businesses don't want Japanese people to buy CDs outside of the country (from places like Eastern Europe for example) for cheaper. So the record companies give the Japanese things like bonus tracks, special packaging, exclusive editions etc. (for considerably more money) as an incentive. Hope that helps ;)
It's something like that!

Also if you feel a bit cynical, artists usually get their royalties paid based on the retail price. Surely it's better for a musician to get 20% of 30 dollars than 20% of 18 dollars?

There are a lot of complicated explanations for why they are more expensive. As usual with Japan, it makes a lot of sense and then 10 seconds later you go: WTF, now I don't understand anything.

http://nippop.com/features/Saihan_Seido ... ce_System/

I like it somehow, hey, copyright owners just dictate the retail price, makes sense. And then I go... wait, what? Very typical with Japanese things.

Nukes!? Let's give them some nukes?! I sometimes think Japan should take over the rest of the world, you can be sure they would seriously whip the rest of us into shape.. while fucking us with its tentacles :lol:

Okidoki, now I'm advocating nuclear war and tentacle rape. Bedways is rightways now for this droog

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:52 am

Japan is one helluva drug!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jedXNVZjMN4?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jedXNVZjMN4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

bockrocker

Post by bockrocker » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:01 pm

JensJohansson wrote:Also if you feel a bit cynical, artists usually get their royalties paid based on the retail price. Surely it's better for a musician to get 20% of 30 dollars than 20% of 18 dollars?
Mmmm I guess, but it only works if you sell comparable amounts. If selling at 18 dollars convinces 2 people to buy where only 1 would buy before, cheap is still the winner.

Interesting read anyway though.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:41 pm

Plisken wrote:
Star_Ocean wrote:

0_o? we are overpopulated BY about 6 billion? you know there are about 6 billion humans alive in total on earth right?

A bunch of people dying doesnt bother you huh? less humans the better right? so go kill yourself, that way your happy and the rest of the world is happy!
From a neutral standpoint, there are too many people on planet earth. Nature (Or God, or good luck on our part) has always had a way of levelling this out with massive war, or more often plague, but with medical science being what it is, (As well as nukes being what they are for the biggest countries), people just aren't dying like they used to. While that's great for everyone right now, it provides problems for the next generation as far as resources and space to live go.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:44 pm

robocop656 wrote:Japan is one helluva drug!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jedXNVZjMN4?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jedXNVZjMN4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Fuck. The US didn't nuke them enough.
Or perhaps, too much? :shock:

Burning Reflection

Post by Burning Reflection » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:58 pm

Rebel wrote:
From a neutral standpoint, there are too many people on planet earth. Nature (Or God, or good luck on our part) has always had a way of levelling this out with massive war, or more often plague, but with medical science being what it is, (As well as nukes being what they are for the biggest countries), people just aren't dying like they used to. While that's great for everyone right now, it provides problems for the next generation as far as resources and space to live go.
No offense, but that's not a neutral standpoint; that's a very typical and conditioned standpoint. The Earth is rich and there's enough room and resources for everyone, it's apparently just not enough for human greed and our desire to have and hoard and use that surplus to exploit others. Food sits in silos and rots on shelves while others starve because profit matters more than people. The rich live in opulence and decadence; they use whole rooms for lifeless objects like furniture while another sleeps outside in a cardboard box in utter squalor. The least of the next generation's problems will exist at the periphery, their greatest problems they have to deal with reside within.

Plisken

Post by Plisken » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:26 pm

Rebel wrote:
Plisken wrote:
Star_Ocean wrote:

Space to live? yeah sure maybe if the human race technologically and culturally stayed exactly the same as it is today for the next 1000 years then maybe, but that wont happen. We are not going run out of space anytime soon at all.

Right now we are a Type 0 civilization. Meaning We use fossil fuels for the majority of our energy needs and we are still confined to only living on land.

in a type 1 civilization (which we should achieve in about 100 years, we are 0.73 right now) we will have harnessed earths power for renewable energy like solar and wind. This will be our only source of energy. Also we will have starting making entire cities on/in the ocean. This is why we arent running out of space for at LEAST 50,000 years. 70% of earth is ocean. Thats A LOT of space.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:50 am

Well? Where is the rebuttal? :roll:

:pop:

bockrocker

Post by bockrocker » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am

You are very optimistic plisken. I am reminded of a line from the book Earth - "The Middle East. It is a hot, sandy, unlivable wasteland. And people died by the millions to keep possession of it." :lol:

Plisken

Post by Plisken » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:05 am

bockrocker wrote:You are very optimistic plisken. I am reminded of a line from the book Earth - "The Middle East. It is a hot, sandy, unlivable wasteland. And people died by the millions to keep possession of it." :lol:

Lol Earth The Book is fucking awesome!

What im saying might be a little optimistic but that it is the direction we are headed in. Its all about recycling, and renewable energy these days. If everyone wants renewable energy, it doesnt make sense that we wont get it eventually. Also we WILL one day have no more fossil fuels. We have to use renewable energies eventually, sooner or later.
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:Well? Where is the rebuttal? :roll:

:pop:
no rebuttal, Star_Ocean is hanging from a ceiling right about now, that is if he believes his own logic to be true. Which I hope he doesn't truly believe.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:13 am

bockrocker wrote:You are very optimistic plisken. I am reminded of a line from the book Earth - "The Middle East. It is a hot, sandy, unlivable wasteland. And people died by the millions to keep possession of it." :lol:
The only reason the Middle East matters is not because of its surface, but the stuff that exists beneath it.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Plisken

Post by Plisken » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:19 am

NeonVomit wrote:
The only reason the Middle East matters is not because of its surface, but the stuff that exists beneath it.
Exactly, black gold!

The book earth is meant to be how aliens would see earth if they were watching us, and how stupid they will think we are.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:23 am

Plisken wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Plisken wrote:
Star_Ocean wrote: Fine by me. The less human beings on the planet, the better. We are overpopulated by about 6 billion people, so a bunch of people dying does not bother me.

Space to live? yeah sure maybe if the human race technologically and culturally stayed exactly the same as it is today for the next 1000 years then maybe, but that wont happen. We are not going run out of space anytime soon at all.

Right now we are a Type 0 civilization. Meaning We use fossil fuels for the majority of our energy needs and we are still confined to only living on land.

in a type 1 civilization (which we should achieve in about 100 years, we are 0.73 right now) we will have harnessed earths power for renewable energy like solar and wind. This will be our only source of energy. Also we will have starting making entire cities on/in the ocean. This is why we arent running out of space for at LEAST 50,000 years. 70% of earth is ocean. Thats A LOT of space.
Well Solar and Wind energy won't actaully be that wise calls all over the world.
Nuclear power (Actaully all our energy is nuclear power) will reach the fusion in no time allowing us to use water for energy with no environmental problems. Solar and wind are the classics but it is really expensive and we would need to use some weird forms of them to reach the current amount of electricity used.

Right now there are hundreds of new forms of making energy. The construction of the first Finnish waveplant has already started for example.

Earth is indeed overpopulated but that is not in the western countries. The population growth is huge in poor countries and especially all over africa.

We keep giving them food so they would not starve when the earth can't keep as many as there are alive.
So when we give food to one little girls she will grow and end up having 10 more starving children and we need more food.
Sometimes I think those idiots who give them food instead of condoms should be hanged :x

we are almost at 7 billion right now and that is more than three times what we were 50 years ago.

Plisken

Post by Plisken » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:29 am

mayhem-for-all wrote:
Plisken wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Plisken wrote:
Star_Ocean wrote: Fine by me. The less human beings on the planet, the better. We are overpopulated by about 6 billion people, so a bunch of people dying does not bother me.

Well Solar and Wind energy won't actaully be that wise calls all over the world.
Nuclear power (Actaully all our energy is nuclear power) will reach the fusion in no time allowing us to use water for energy with no environmental problems. Solar and wind are the classics but it is really expensive and we would need to use some weird forms of them to reach the current amount of electricity used.

Right now there are hundreds of new forms of making energy. The construction of the first Finnish waveplant has already started for example.
I know solar and wind wont be the only forms of renewable energy. Thats why I said "like" solar and wind. They are the most known and popular forms of renewable energy right now. The ultimate form of renewable energy is like you said, fusion. The power to create the sun. Things like solar and wind will be used in the meanwhile until we achieve fusion power.

Also, I didnt know finland was making a waveplant! thats awesome! is it large scale?

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:27 pm

How exactly do we create sun?

---...---

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:54 pm

The power to create the sun
Well technically it would just be using the same process.
Sun uses different gases and it causes radiation and all those other not-so-nice things.

Fusion on the other hand used with hydrogen will be pure.
Things like solar and wind will be used in the meanwhile until we achieve fusion power.
Actually I would prefer using Fission.
It is cheap and cost effective.
It is also quite pure since the only bad thing is the sideproducts that have to be stored. Yet they have still over half of the usable energy so learning to reconsume the product of fission would over double the effiency and eliminate all threats.
Also, I didnt know finland was making a waveplant! thats awesome! is it large scale?
It will be in Åland actually. It won't be big. Juts some testing out. Yet the waves have an unbeliveably big amount of energy (in the earth scale almost infinite) the problem is the "naval traffic"
It will be in action quite soon too.

Meanwhile the japanese have planned an orbital solarpowerplant that is to be working in 2030!

Then we have Geothermal heat pumping.
With just one third of the available Geothermal energy we could get as much energy that we are currently consuming. The amount of energy is just huge.

I don't we need to be relying completely on solar and wind in the future with these options.

Plisken

Post by Plisken » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:09 pm

mayhem-for-all wrote:
The power to create the sun
Well technically it would just be using the same process.
Sun uses different gases and it causes radiation and all those other not-so-nice things.

Fusion on the other hand used with hydrogen will be pure.
Things like solar and wind will be used in the meanwhile until we achieve fusion power.
Actually I would prefer using Fission.
It is cheap and cost effective.
It is also quite pure since the only bad thing is the sideproducts that have to be stored. Yet they have still over half of the usable energy so learning to reconsume the product of fission would over double the effiency and eliminate all threats.
It will be in Åland actually. It won't be big. Juts some testing out. Yet the waves have an unbeliveably big amount of energy (in the earth scale almost infinite) the problem is the "naval traffic"
It will be in action quite soon too.

Meanwhile the japanese have planned an orbital solarpowerplant that is to be working in 2030!

Then we have Geothermal heat pumping.
With just one third of the available Geothermal energy we could get as much energy that we are currently consuming. The amount of energy is just huge.

I don't we need to be relying completely on solar and wind in the future with these options.
Yes I agree Fission is the way to go for now. Like I said before I said "LIKE" solar and wind because listing all the possible ways to achieve renewable energy would take all day.

Like he said, you create the sun the same way our sun is created. Work has already started on making super small scale sun's for energy.

Its when we are able to harness the power of the sun that we will be able to really go out into space.

Star_Ocean

Post by Star_Ocean » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:14 pm

Plisken wrote:
Star_Ocean wrote:

There are almost 7 billion people on earth now (not 6 billion) and it is growing immensely and should be over 10 billion by 2050. We are living so unbelievably unsustainable that there is no way we can stay the way we are much longer. We are destroying the environment (in more ways than just global warming), sucking up every resource imaginable and we are causing so much harm to the earth that it is ridiculous.

I have been studying this in college for the last three years, I know what I am talking about. For us to live sustainably (which means us consuming resources at the same rate they are recovering), we would need less than a billion people on Earth. Right now, we'll be completely out of our major resources in about 100 years.

The last year we were living even close to sustainably was before the Industrial Revolution. Since then, our unhealthy living has skyrocketed.

And no, I do not care if people die. It's part of life. If I bitched and moaned about every single person that died, I'd be depressed my entire life.