Darkness And Light - new interview from Stratovarius

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
VictorTDD
Darkness And Light - new interview from Stratovarius

Post by VictorTDD » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:46 pm

http://www.bravewords.com/news/151135

Posted on November 24, 2010

By Carl Begai

:D

foerg

Re: Darkness And Light - new interview from Stratovarius

Post by foerg » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:16 pm

thanks!

expectations for the new album are growing bigger and bigger...

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:30 pm

Most fans agree that Polaris was a nice try, but not the full-on old school Stratovarius album everyone was hoping for. Elysium is, therefore, the band’s do or die effort.
I have to disagree. Polaris was their best shot and in fact one of their greatest jobs since the era between Episode and Inifnite. I know that listening the band with a new lead guitarrist, knowing the story TT has left behind is a bit of strange...I would be terrified if I had to step in the shoes of Tolkki. But Matias did a great work trying to catch the style and atmosphere TT gave to the music. I know more than anything now that if Polaris was a kick-ass album, Elysium will blow every single fan's mind
Here TK quotes it very well:
"The new album isn’t totally different from Polaris, but it is different. I would say the new album is the kind of album that Polaris should have been, but of course that wasn’t possible at the time. Hopefully it doesn’t sound too different from what people expect. The material sounds like the past but it’s presented in a modern day sort of way."
"There’s one long song on the album, which is about 18 minutes divided into three different parts. We were thinking that they should be indexed separately, but it ended up on the album as just one long song."
Here is the answer of all our expectations about "Elysium"...Sounds thrilling, although I'd have prefered to be splitted up, but who cares now :D?

OK, now I officially can't wait until January next year :headbang:!!
|StratoFan Forever|

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:39 pm

Polaris was their best shot and in fact one of their greatest jobs since the era between Episode and Inifnite.
you mean polaris beats Elements Pt 1? no way.....Polaris is only better than elements Pt2 and the black "strato" album.
A9

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:41 pm

What a refreshing interview! Thanks Victor, you are the official Stratoforum informer! :lol:

There’s one long song on the album, which is about 18 minutes divided into three different parts. We were thinking that they should be indexed separately, but it ended up on the album as just one long song.”
Nice decision! :)
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

Balu

Post by Balu » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:14 pm

adrian9 wrote:
Polaris was their best shot and in fact one of their greatest jobs since the era between Episode and Inifnite.
you mean polaris beats Elements Pt 1? no way.....Polaris is only better than elements Pt2 and the black "strato" album.
Sure it does. Soul of a Vagabond was the only really good one on Elements 1.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:51 pm

adrian9 wrote:
I'm not denying the Elements saga was good, and I also have to agree that Pt.1 is way better than Pt.2, and both even better than the self-titled...I just didn't feel that "thingy" I felt with Infinite, or Visions, or Destiny, or Episode. Besides (I'm sure I'll be hated by many with this comment) "Eagleheart" sounds WAY too commercial, and I honestly never felt it actually was intented to be made by Stratovarius, it just sounds too rock for the band. "Soul Of A Vagabond" is a nice song, but just that - nice. "Find Your Own Voice" and "Fantasia" were a great try, and I love both songs...But some other one from Episode or Visions can easily beat it. "Learning To Fly", alongside with "Stratofortress" were the best tracks IMO; "Papillon" may sound beautiful, but I don't like it (I prefer "A Drop In The Ocean"). And "Elemnts" could have been a great song...If they knew how to make long tracks (They should have cut it half-way, the rest is just too repetitive and "lame" :?)

So yeah, I think Polaris is better than Elements Pt.1 & 2, and surely even better than the self-titled
|StratoFan Forever|

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:59 pm

Nice interview!

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:59 pm

I still think Elements Pt. 1 is the best Strato album ever. Let's see If Elysium beats it. Judging by the songs 'Darkest Hours' and 'Infernal Maze' this album makes a very good chance.

I absolutely LOVE TK's vocals on 'Darkest Hours'. Just perfect. :)

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:16 pm

rikkertje wrote:Let's see If Elysium beats it.
I'm sure Elysium will cover all our expectations :)
|StratoFan Forever|

crostrato

Post by crostrato » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:46 am

“I think the media will take us more seriously again. Some of them thought we were just living off our past with Polaris, thinking we couldn’t compose anything without Tolkki. If you listen to the new album you’ll see that we don’t need him in the band anymore. We respect him as a songwriter but we’ve definitely moved on.”

This is not ok from Kotipelto, very rough!

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:41 am

Why?
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:17 am

Yes...why?

Is he saying a lie or an offense? Cmon, do not take it out of context.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:33 pm

crostrato wrote:“I think the media will take us more seriously again. Some of them thought we were just living off our past with Polaris, thinking we couldn’t compose anything without Tolkki. If you listen to the new album you’ll see that we don’t need him in the band anymore. We respect him as a songwriter but we’ve definitely moved on.”
Way to go Koti, way to go :lol:!
|StratoFan Forever|

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:22 pm

Balu wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
please...
ggonza43 wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
I'm not denying the Elements saga was good, and I also have to agree that Pt.1 is way better than Pt.2, and both even better than the self-titled...I just didn't feel that "thingy" I felt with Infinite, or Visions, or Destiny, or Episode. Besides (I'm sure I'll be hated by many with this comment) "Eagleheart" sounds WAY too commercial, and I honestly never felt it actually was intented to be made by Stratovarius, it just sounds too rock for the band. "Soul Of A Vagabond" is a nice song, but just that - nice. "Find Your Own Voice" and "Fantasia" were a great try, and I love both songs...But some other one from Episode or Visions can easily beat it. "Learning To Fly", alongside with "Stratofortress" were the best tracks IMO; "Papillon" may sound beautiful, but I don't like it (I prefer "A Drop In The Ocean"). And "Elemnts" could have been a great song...If they knew how to make long tracks (They should have cut it half-way, the rest is just too repetitive and "lame" :?)

So yeah, I think Polaris is better than Elements Pt.1 & 2, and surely even better than the self-titled
I have listened to polaris since we ranked the strato albums in another topic and I think is good too..but it doesnt have the magic , I dont even bought a copy I just borrowed one...and i will not buy that album for sure.
elemnts 2 and Stratoblack are weaks albums we all know that...but to me and I totally agree with tolkki , Elements Pt1 was the pinacle of stratovarius...and polaris will never ever beat that. sorry for you two guys.
A9

Balu

Post by Balu » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:25 pm

adrian9 wrote:
Balu wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
please...
Please what? Don't say anything when you're talking nonsense? :banana1:

BTW: It seems like we never agree. : D

stratodan1990

Post by stratodan1990 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:38 pm

For me Episode is the pinnacle of Stratovarius....Thats my opinion. I still think that Elements Pt. 1 is great and even the second one has it's moments.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:04 pm

Balu wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
Balu wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
please...

you are the one talking nonsense..so that is why I dont bother in argue
A9

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:08 pm

stratodan1990 wrote:For me Episode is the pinnacle of Stratovarius....Thats my opinion. I still think that Elements Pt. 1 is great and even the second one has it's moments.
of course you know what "pinacle" means? how can... in the name of god, "episode" be the pinacle when that was the record that set up the "classic" band line up and was the seed of a style that stratovarius will develop in the following years?¡??¡ Episode is the Foundation of what would be built afterwards, my prescription? re visit your opinion my friend.

(because in between lines you are saying that after episode stratovarius went downhill)

or listen the whole strato collection.
A9

Balu

Post by Balu » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:08 pm

adrian9 wrote:
Balu wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
Balu wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
please...

Just tell me how the uninspired crap that was at least 5/9 songs of Elements 1 beats Polaris, a fresh and great album?

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:12 pm

Balu wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
Balu wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
Balu wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
please...

Just tell me how the uninspired crap that was most of Elements 1 beats Polaris, a fresh and great album?
Polaris fresh?? again please.....you let it go dude, you have an opinion I got mine. end of the history.

oh one more thing.

Emannncipatiiiionnnnnnnnnnnnn :x :fp: :err:
A9

Balu

Post by Balu » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:25 pm

adrian9 wrote:
Balu wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
Balu wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
Balu wrote:
adrian9 wrote:
please...

Just tell me how the uninspired crap that was most of Elements 1 beats Polaris, a fresh and great album?
Polaris fresh?? again please.....you let it go dude, you have an opinion I got mine. end of the history.

oh one more thing.

Emannncipatiiiionnnnnnnnnnnnn :x :fp: :err:
You REALLY thing Elements (song)>Emancipation Suite? You've gotta be kidding.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:02 am

Sorry to put a drastic end to this "lovely" discussion...But noone of you is right. Come on people, this is really necessary? adrian9 thinks "Elements Pt.1" is better than "Polaris". Balu thinks the opposite. Who is right here? NO ONE! Because everybody has their own opinions; I personally may not like Elements Pt.1 or 2 and I am free to state what I find weak in the album, and so does adrian9 or Balu...But starting to argue about who's the best album, having each of you their own convictions...That won't never end dudes. Can't we just be friends and say: "I respect your opinions, you respect mine"?
adrian9 wrote:I have listened to polaris since we ranked the strato albums in another topic and I think is good too..but it doesnt have the magic , I dont even bought a copy I just borrowed one...and i will not buy that album for sure.
elemnts 2 and Stratoblack are weaks albums we all know that...but to me and I totally agree with tolkki , Elements Pt1 was the pinacle of stratovarius...and polaris will never ever beat that. sorry for you two guys.
Somewhere else you've said:
adrian9 wrote:someday people will value music like a grande dame instead of a hooker.
adrian9 wrote:people bought more albums before internet ....stop talking shit balu for real....is like talking to a kid.
Who's the kid now :??
|StratoFan Forever|

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:50 am

ggonza43 wrote:Sorry to put a drastic end to this "lovely" discussion...But noone of you is right. Come on people, this is really necessary? adrian9 thinks "Elements Pt.1" is better than "Polaris". Balu thinks the opposite. Who is right here? NO ONE! Because everybody has their own opinions; I personally may not like Elements Pt.1 or 2 and I am free to state what I find weak in the album, and so does adrian9 or Balu...But starting to argue about who's the best album, having each of you their own convictions...That won't never end dudes. Can't we just be friends and say: "I respect your opinions, you respect mine"?
adrian9 wrote:I have listened to polaris since we ranked the strato albums in another topic and I think is good too..but it doesnt have the magic , I dont even bought a copy I just borrowed one...and i will not buy that album for sure.
Somewhere else you've said:
adrian9 wrote:someday people will value music like a grande dame instead of a hooker.
adrian9 wrote:people bought more albums before internet ....stop talking shit balu for real....is like talking to a kid.
Who's the kid now :??
I think Im missing your cuotation pruposes here Gonza....anyway here is a reply.
Is because I refuse to buy polaris?¿.....like I said I just borrowed one for a friend...and shit it was bad.....so bad even being myself a METALLICA fan I bought St anger just for the sake of having the whole collection, that being said St anger has to be the ultimate betrayal for everything Metallica stands for (even in that scene I found two or three interesting tracks) .
In other words, Polaris is soooooo bad to me , that I prefer listeting st anger, not buying polaris even if that means I will not have the perfect strato collection ever, and I would always dismiss that album in every blog, forum or talk I have the chance.
thank you very much and good night.
A9

Kecos

Post by Kecos » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:04 am

a
Last edited by Kecos on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:35 pm

:lol: at those 2 quotes! Anyway, I have nothing against adrian9; if he doesn't like "Polaris", well good for him: I like it a lot, he doesn't, that's it. No need to argue anymore :)

But, and sorry to start another fight in here, compraing "Polaris" with "St. Anger"...Dude, are you fucking nuts? What the hell is wrong with you?!
|StratoFan Forever|

Balu

Post by Balu » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:48 pm

ggonza43 wrote::lol: at those 2 quotes! Anyway, I have nothing against adrian9; if he doesn't like "Polaris", well good for him: I like it a lot, he doesn't, that's it. No need to argue anymore :)

But, and sorry to start another fight in here, compraing "Polaris" with "St. Anger"...Dude, are you fucking nuts? What the hell is wrong with you?!
Metallica is crap anyway. Their best stuff isn't even close to let's say Strato's worst.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:55 pm

Metallica's best work are until "The Black Album" (and in fact, I can only stand "Enter Sandman", "Sad But True", "The Unforgiven" and "Wherever I May Roam"). After that, the whole "Load/Reload" and "St. Anger" are the worst they've ever made. "Death Magnetic" is a nice album, and a great comeback, but I still prefer to listen the whole "...And Justice For All".
With Stratovarius, even though there are some albums I honestly don't like at all, overall from each of them I can listen easily 80% of the whole production...So, Im my opinion: Stratovarius > Metallica (although I am not an insanely big fan of them)
|StratoFan Forever|

Balu

Post by Balu » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:56 pm

ggonza43 wrote:Metallica's best work are until "The Black Album" (and in fact, I can only stand "Enter Sandman", "Sad But True", "The Unforgiven" and "Wherever I May Roam"). After that, the whole "Load/Reload" and "St. Anger" are the worst they've ever made. "Death Magnetic" is a nice album, and a great comeback, but I still prefer to listen the whole "...And Justice For All".
With Stratovarius, even though there are some albums I honestly don't like at all, overall from each of them I can listen easily 80% of the whole production...So, Im my opinion: Stratovarius > Metallica (although I am not an insanely big fan of them)
Now I'm interested, what are you a big fan of? : D

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:02 pm

Mostly, power metal in general. Until this day, I haven't found a single album from an specific band I can't listen from begining to end :). Prog metal is also a genre I listen a lot, but nowadays it's hard to find a good band that doesn't sound similar to Rush or Dream Theater =P. Lately about a couple of years ago, I started to fully listen to thrash metal bands: Some are very interesting, others just a copy of other bands, and other very repetitive. Also, symphonic metal (JUST symphonic, not power/symphonic, although Kamelot is one of those right? Ah, nevermind!). I tried to listen some black/death metal, but still can't stand those screams...Well, maybe COB is one I can barely listen.

And I can go forever, but this is not what the topic is about :)
|StratoFan Forever|