New Interview of MATIAS KUPIAINEN on GetMetal

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
VictorTDD
New Interview of MATIAS KUPIAINEN on GetMetal

Post by VictorTDD » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:09 pm

Kosmo

Re: New Interview of MATIAS KUPIAINEN on GetMetal

Post by Kosmo » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:20 pm

Cool interview. :P And the 18 minute song took 8 months to write? Has to be a kickass song!

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:42 pm

Matias is a really cool guy, that it's clear. It's a nice and funny interview.
Well of course the whole progressiverock genre has influenced me a lot. Guitarists like John Petrucci from Dream Theatre and Michael Romeo from Symphony-X.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

The Enigma

Post by The Enigma » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:35 pm

Yeah, Matias, yet another Finnish metal musician with his roots grown in the classical side...

Do I see a pattern here? :P
The 1st rock thrown again
Welcome to hell, little Saint
Mother Gaia in slaughter
Welcome to paradise, Soldier

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:47 pm

Well now we had so much more material to work with. We had almost 18 tracks composed and did a whole lot more rehearsals before the recording sessions began. You certainly get a feel that this is an album we have put much more work into. So more time together as a band and more time in the studio is obviously one of the key ingredients.
Now THIS sounds like a band that have been together for years. 18 tracks?! So we're having Strato for many more years, and with this statement I have the feeling this album will be one of their best works along with "Episode" and "Visions" - This will be a truly masterpiece :)
ABOUT ELYSIUM (SONG): Well, the song itself took me about a 8 months to write. The whole writing process happened while we were on tour, so it took a little more time that planned. But after that we recorded a demo, and then a second demo, haha, and then we just went in the studio and recorded it like any other track. We are machines!
Sounds like he made a great work compsing this, and 8 months? That's just insane! These guys are truly machines :lol:!
In addition to Al Di Meola and Eric Johnson? Well of course the whole progressiverock genre has influenced me a lot. Guitarists like John Petrucci from Dream Theatre and Michael Romeo from Symphony-X.
I'm trembling :D!!
|StratoFan Forever|

Sumerian

Post by Sumerian » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:50 pm

Matias is quite more technical player than Tolkki but he does not have the right "sound". Something is missing from the band, that he cannot offer...

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:57 pm

Yeah, maybe if he gains some weight people would confuse him with TT and that should be it :lol:
|StratoFan Forever|

Sumerian

Post by Sumerian » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:07 pm

ggonza43 wrote:Yeah, maybe if he gains some weight people would confuse him with TT and that should be it :lol:
You are not Stratovarius fan, obviously. Go away, troll. :)

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:09 pm

Oh God! The newbie called me troll! I'm outta this forum now :err:
|StratoFan Forever|

Sumerian

Post by Sumerian » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:05 pm

ggonza43 wrote:Oh God! The newbie called me troll! I'm outta this forum now :err:
You are a troll. To think everything by new Stratovarius must be good by magic. Maybe you should leave forum :) Real fans and true music listeners do not need you.

Febo

Post by Febo » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:12 pm

Sumerian wrote:
ggonza43 wrote:Oh God! The newbie called me troll! I'm outta this forum now :err:
You are a troll. To think everything by new Stratovarius must be good by magic. Maybe you should leave forum :) Real fans and true music listeners do not need you.
You really don't know what being respecful means, do you?
We haven't criticized you, that fact that we don't agree with you is not what I'd call "criticize". So emotional from you, pal :P
Btw, you're the one who should dissapear from this forum...
ggonza has always been a respecful member and a true fan. He called Tolkki fat... so??? That doesn't mean he hates him or that he doesn't respect him as a musician. Are you Tolkki's wife and became offended because of him saying the truth or what??

Enjoy your time here, 'cause Jens will kick you out soon :)

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:12 pm

Sumerian wrote:You are a troll. To think everything by new Stratovarius must be good by magic. Maybe you should leave forum :) Real fans and true music listeners do not need you.
Wowowow, you call yourself a real fan?! WTF is wrong with you that you can come here and says shit about everybody? I haven't said at any time the new Strato is better than the older one...In fact, my favourite era of the band was between "Episode" and "Infinite", and I love all of their old and new stuffs. I appreciate both of their times, with and without TT, thing that you apparently don't. You claim the Strato with TT is better than this one and I'm not denying it, but respect other people's opinions as well as I respected you a moment ago

Dude, you've just made yourself an enemy

EDIT: Thanks Febo for your words, but this guys doesn't deserves any of our words anymore
|StratoFan Forever|

ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ

Post by ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:18 pm

:lol: :lol: Oh little brother Gorgonzola...I don't know who is the funniest here you or the good "Sumarian". :lol: :lol:

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:19 pm

I think Matias fits in with the band like a thumb on a hand and is technically a better player then Tolkki (atleast nowdays), however Tolkki has written so many amazing songs and has been the heart of the band for a very long time.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:21 pm

Kosmo wrote:I think Matias fits in with the band like a thumb on a hand and is technically a better player then Tolkki (atleast nowdays), however Tolkki has written so many amazing songs and has been the heart of the band for a very long time.
Totally agree, Matias is giving the band a new breathe of fresh air, and although nobody can't replace Tolkki, he's doing the best job composing music for the band. And that's what matters :)
|StratoFan Forever|

Sumerian

Post by Sumerian » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:33 pm

All I say is, in my opinion Elysium is not a continuation of Stratovarius legacy and sound and that Matias is not a good guitarist for the band.

I am just human and maybe I am dead wrong :) Relax everyone. Love, peace, and big hugs.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:36 pm

That won't work for me, but at least you're trying to be nice
|StratoFan Forever|

ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ

Post by ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:40 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh NOOOO I can't take more of this! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Intiaani
Location:Buried Alive by Jens The Undertaker at Black... SABBATH!

Post by Intiaani » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:24 am

Too bad that, with guitarists, there seems to be a continuation looking something like this.

|-------------------------|
technique | feeling

As a listener, I'm generally very much to the right in this case. :P

There are very skilled guitarists in nearly every metal band. I put much more weight on guys like Knopfler. Santana and Tolkki than those, though. And Matias is technical. I think he has some feel in his play as well, though, fortunately. Winter Skies solos for example - wow!

But hey! Don't true fans always like the first two albums only, and then bands always go to shit? I take we aren't any true purists here. :(

Did anyone else made a connection to the Egyptian theme between Arnold Layne and Sumerian, though? I don't actually know anything at all what's going on with our little memes or nicks at any time, but just suggesting he might not be that independent. You obviously know better than me.

Anyway, staying on topic for once would be great. The fact that at least two topics turning from their original meaning to Matias not fitting the band for me is most trolling done in these topics. Don't know which is for worse though: one repeating it everywhere or the other always reacting on it.

<E> God, just realized. I'm "putting more weight on [Tolkki]." How stupid is this. :oops:
"In Soviet Russia, Stratovarius listens to you!"
- Soviet Russia on Stratovarius

Susie

Post by Susie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:32 am

I was going to ask you that Matias, who your favorite guitarplayers are. Any you like to add to the ones you mentioned above?

In addition to Al Di Meola and Eric Johnson? Well of course the whole progressiverock genre has influenced me a lot. Guitarists like John Petrucci from Dream Theatre and Michael Romeo from Symphony-X.

Yeah, that Michael Romeo guy ain’t that bad he he:

No, I’ve could kill myself to play like him, but then I wouldn’t be able to play anyway so, HAHA.But he’s fuckin’ amazing.

But you know, playing in a band like Stratovarius, it is really a great achievement. And for all of us who’s still pursuing a career as a guitarist in a band like that, can you please tell us your secret?

HAHAHA, well I really don’t know. Maybe you can tell me. Keep practicing and work hard on your playing. The reason why I got to join the band, was because Timmo came by my studio on day and asked me if I wanted to play with the band. I was like “What the fuck? Yeah, let’s go for it man” and the rest is history you know.
Matias, a normal kid just like the rest of us--- mortals... :roll:

--------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, BTW the forum seems to be getting a lot of these lately...

:pop: Why???????

Sumerian

Post by Sumerian » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:19 am

I simply say that Matias cannot fulfill Tolkki's shoes, yet. And maybe I am wrong and in few years he will develop into a strong songwriter. Fuck, I did not mean to start this mess! :)

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:20 am

I'd say Tolkki brings more emotion to his playing whereas Matias Brings us technically great nice catchy solos. Sure matias had soem great emotional playing in Emancipation suites but can that match the guitar in Years Go By?

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:45 pm

Come on people, Timo and Matias are 2 different guitarrist, with 2 different styles. In conclusion, the Stratovarius with each of them MUST be different
|StratoFan Forever|

WinterBlack

Post by WinterBlack » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:46 pm

The Enigma wrote:Yeah, Matias, yet another Finnish metal musician with his roots grown in the classical side...

Do I see a pattern here? :P
But also rock
WinterBlack