New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
dirtclaw
Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by dirtclaw » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:42 pm

I can't be the only one who was hoping for something that wasn't just a Stratovarius clone... right? I mean, yeah, it's a good Strato clone, but still, that's all I'm hearing out of this, and despite how good the songs turn out to be, any listening I do is going to be hindered because of that. The songs that aren't blatantly similar to Hunting High and Low as well as other tracks have potential, though.

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:54 am

dirtclaw wrote:I can't be the only one who was hoping for something that wasn't just a Stratovarius clone... right? I mean, yeah, it's a good Strato clone, but still, that's all I'm hearing out of this, and despite how good the songs turn out to be, any listening I do is going to be hindered because of that. The songs that aren't blatantly similar to Hunting High and Low as well as other tracks have potential, though.
Well, what did you expect when Tolkki wrote 95% of the old stuff?

However, I don't think it's a Strato clone really, since In Paradisum and Elysium sound just too different, and Strato's sound is now this "PowerProg metal" kindda thing.

Have you guys heard the sample from Fields of Avalon on Symfonia's site?

Sounds soo Episode :) I like it

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:14 am

Ok, so Timo just rejigged the "Kill the King" live intro a bit on Santiago, but that still sounds awesome.

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:31 am

Rejiggedium.

Verdades Parias

Post by Verdades Parias » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:48 am

Hearing the samples...so much to say abou them, first of all...if "IN PARADISUM" would been the album next to Elements another would have been the history, becouse this album it just fit to TK JJ JM JK/LP, if you listen the NEW ERA album...wich is an extremely tolkki album, this one is so much better, much heavier, more fast songs, a German bombastic drummer and the epics battles between the keys and Guitars, it's pretty much near to a classic Strato album. but not so fast becouse I heard some pretty cool arrangements, like Uli's drumming, this guy has his own sound, hear the Pilgrim song, is MASTERPLAN DRUMMING, or Harkin/tolkki duets are very differents than JJ/TT, and of course Andre Matos that in my humble opinion is a very good singer, not a supernatural one, he writes such a good lyrics and he is a very talented.
But there's always a thorn, THIS ALBUM IS FOR KOTIPELTO, period.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:37 am

Balu wrote:
mayhem-for-all wrote:I would still say that Lauri is the best songwriter in Strato right now. Just listen to his solo albums!
My choice is Jens here. He has some amazing solo stuff (absolutely loved Sonic Winter, especially All Opposable Thumbs).
I'm a Matias groupie. :luv1:
But...I also have Lauri's solo album and sometimes I just put "Ananas Republik" on repeat. It makes me so damn happy! :lol:

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:28 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote: I'm a Matias groupie. :luv1:
But...I also have Lauri's solo album and sometimes I just put "Ananas Republik" on repeat. It makes me so damn happy! :lol:
Thats simply because its such a fun song! :D

Fields of Avalon sounds amazing.
Any of you can't possibly have any complaints for this.

eternity_strato

Post by eternity_strato » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:55 pm

If Pilgrim Road were a Stratovarius song, I'd say it is shit too.

Pilgrim Road... How someone who wrote Visions, Destiny or Infinity, can crap that shitty song?

valo_666

Post by valo_666 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:31 pm

I think I have missed the concept from the very beginning, at first when this all-star band was announced I thought about a renewal of the genre, a top notch, fresh new power metal rebirth made by 5 of the finest of the genre itself. It may be a good plate for the newcomers, but to me these songs sound like any of those cheap Stratovarius try-to-sound-a-like copies, you can always guess what's coming next when you're listening to the song. Oh, and André Matos is wasted. How can be pleasant to listen to a man singing in such an impossible pressure for himself?

gnurt_gp

Post by gnurt_gp » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:59 pm

valo_666 wrote:I think I have missed the concept from the very beginning, at first when this all-star band was announced I thought about a renewal of the genre, a top notch, fresh new power metal rebirth made by 5 of the finest of the genre itself. It may be a good plate for the newcomers, but to me these songs sound like any of those cheap Stratovarius try-to-sound-a-like copies, you can always guess what's coming next when you're listening to the song. Oh, and André Matos is wasted. How can be pleasant to listen to a man singing in such an impossible pressure for himself?
It's funny, because the guys keep the name and TT left doesn't mean now TT "tries to sound like Stratovarius". Think logical, how can TT tries to sound like himself? I don't want to say "the guys try (or tried) to sound like TT's Stratovarius", but if you say the prior, I would say that the latter seems to be more accurate.

valo_666

Post by valo_666 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:27 pm

gnurt_gp wrote:
valo_666 wrote:I think I have missed the concept from the very beginning, at first when this all-star band was announced I thought about a renewal of the genre, a top notch, fresh new power metal rebirth made by 5 of the finest of the genre itself. It may be a good plate for the newcomers, but to me these songs sound like any of those cheap Stratovarius try-to-sound-a-like copies, you can always guess what's coming next when you're listening to the song. Oh, and André Matos is wasted. How can be pleasant to listen to a man singing in such an impossible pressure for himself?
It's funny, because the guys keep the name and TT left doesn't mean now TT "tries to sound like Stratovarius". Think logical, how can TT tries to sound like himself? I don't want to say "the guys try (or tried) to sound like TT's Stratovarius", but if you say the prior, I would say that the latter seems to be more accurate.
I didn't say this is another Stratovarius copy, I sait it sounds like a Stratovarius copycat. And Stratovarius was 5, not only Tolkki. And it's being proven more and more that the real Stratovarius sound wasn't Tolkki, since he started to work on the albums all by himself it never really sounded like classic Stratovarius either.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:41 pm

To be honest, I like the samples.

Sure it's not a masterpiece like Visions or Infinite, but it's a blend of Tolkki's career. From the early Stratovarius to the ill-fated Revolution Renaissance, the music is there to stay.

I would have loved if he wrote something completely different. Then again, I don't want another Saana album. It's his signature music. :)

Febo

Post by Febo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:47 pm

I agree with you.
There's a review of this album around the internet that says: "Tolkki has probably written a more traditional Stratovarius album here, but Elysium showcases a band that's moving forward, and not just treading the same path over and over again"

But well, Tolkki fans will enjoy this a lot of sure. So it be and let all be happy in their own way with the music Stratovarius and Symfonia are offering.

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:55 pm

Hell, it's not even released yet. And I'm not a fan of anything. :lol: :lol: :lol:

stratodan1990

Post by stratodan1990 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:26 pm

The solos sound good at times. Just a thought, but it would be awesome if he went back to his early Strato 'Tolkki' esque guitar soloing eg. 'Stratovarius' self titled song, 'Stratosphere' or any of the classical 90's era Strato instrumentals for that matter. Not in a cloning fashion, I just mean this direction IMO where Tolkki really goes into his own musical killer 'element'. Thats why I think I look forward to more faster TT stuff as it usually 'works'. Like Bach or Beethoven on speed :D

Liking the 'Fields of Avalon' sample - looks to be one of the better tracks. But this album will sound nothing short of another 'Elements' album. Even Elysium has it's moments of sounding that way, but I think this album will do at a larger extend. Lets hope Tolkki finds 'new' ideas to bring with this band. Making more use of his musicians for songwriting he REALLY could consider for the future, take a look at Uli's early work for example, great stuff there that could really contribute to different ideas.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:43 pm

Well, I'm listening again the samples and I can safely say I like it. Yes, it sounds A LOT like TT's previous works, but hey...I remember everybody saying (me included) that TT should sound like before when he released horrible albums for my taste like AoA.
But ok...I understand what you people mean and I agree. Maybe we need some more from TT, some new killer album. Not sounding almost the same over and over again.

Maybe we'll have it but cmon people, this is the first one with this band. He said in an interview that people shouldn't expect something new, cuause there won't be any new kind of sound coming from him in this new album. He wanted, I think, to release a safe album.

I think I'll like this album. Maybe too much "happy" but well, there will be room for more for sure in the future. I suppose this band will be releasing a new album next year or sooner.

But again, MATOS SOUNDS ALMOST THE SAME LIKE SAMMET (or Sammet the same like Matos, dunno) IN THE OLD EDGUY!!! There are parts where the voice is incredibly similar. Incredible :lol: :lol:

EDIT: And remember, samples are just samples. We'll have to listen the whole songs, the whole concept and atmospheres to judge.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

Elz

Post by Elz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:45 pm

eternity_strato wrote:If Pilgrim Road were a Stratovarius song, I'd say it is shit too.
Image we all know that you wouldn't..PS. I think you are really gay :)

Tema

Post by Tema » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:50 pm

DreamT

Post by DreamT » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:00 pm

Sumerian wrote:I just heard "Pilgrim's Road", and what a fucking horrible song it is. Of course he didnt play the solos on Trinity, he can't play worth shit. What a fat motherfucker. Timo should just retire and start a flower shop. Fucking hell.
And I hope someone takes your arm and hits you in the head with it. You do you have to exaggerate??
------------------------------------
A's bullshit spamfilter status: ON

DreamT

Post by DreamT » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:01 pm

eternity_strato wrote:If Pilgrim Road were a Stratovarius song, I'd say it is shit too.

Pilgrim Road... How someone who wrote Visions, Destiny or Infinity, can crap that shitty song?
Obviously someone wrote a song that didn't fit your taste, but that doesn't mean that the song is bad. Man, you really have to do some anger management.

DreamT

Post by DreamT » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:05 pm

Sumerian wrote:I just heard "Pilgrim's Road", and what a fucking horrible song it is. Of course he didnt play the solos on Trinity, he can't play worth shit. What a fat motherfucker. Timo should just retire and start a flower shop. Fucking hell.
But hey, drama queen, in which way would body weight affect song writing? Stop writing unnecessary shit, please. It's obvious that you don't like TT, but to me you just sound like a record stuck on repeat.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:07 pm

DreamT wrote:
But hey, drama queen, in which way would body weight affect song writing? Stop writing unnecessary shit, please. It's obvious that you don't like TT, but to me you just sound like a record stuck on repeat.
10%....

DreamT

Post by DreamT » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:12 pm

Rebel wrote:
DreamT wrote:
10%....
I asked "which way" not "how much"...but thanks for a quick reply:)

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:15 pm

DreamT wrote:
Rebel wrote:
DreamT wrote:
10%....

No, you didn't get it, see, any joke you make on the internet, 10% of the people who read it will be too dumb to understand it. Sumerian is actually a pretty good troll, so that might up it even higher than 10, but then he's already been outed, so I really don't know

DreamT

Post by DreamT » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:17 pm

Rebel wrote:
DreamT wrote:
Rebel wrote:
DreamT wrote:
10%....

No, you didn't get it, see, any joke you make on the internet, 10% of the people who read it will be too dumb to understand it. Sumerian is actually a pretty good troll, so that might up it even higher than 10, but then he's already been outed, so I really don't know
Ok..please explain more thorougly next time..

DreamT

Post by DreamT » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:19 pm

DreamT wrote:
Rebel wrote:
DreamT wrote:
Rebel wrote:
DreamT wrote:
10%....

...since I probably belong to the 10 %.;)

DreamT

Post by DreamT » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:20 pm

DreamT wrote:
DreamT wrote:
Rebel wrote:
DreamT wrote:
Rebel wrote:
DreamT wrote:
10%....

...since I probably belong to the 10 %.;)

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:35 pm

I've kindda realized I don't think Matos's voice fits that well to a Tolkki song... or maybe I got to used to listen to Kotipelto.

If I could just say "Yes" or "No" to Pilgrim Road and Fields of Avalon, I would say Yes to both. Still I think I need to listen more of the record.

Kecos

Post by Kecos » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:22 pm

a
Last edited by Kecos on Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:53 pm

Kecos wrote:It sounds like he's straining to get some of those high notes, but who knows. I'll wait for the album to come out.
Agreed. Constipation is a helluva thing.