New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
eternity_strato
Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by eternity_strato » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:57 am

Rebel wrote:
TwilightEagle wrote: because TT's and Matias guitar skills aren't very different.
I'd say I'm pretty even minded on the affair, Tolkki and Matias are COMPLETELY different guitar players. Radically different styles. I don't think is icecar, he'd never make a statement like that.
Matias is SO SO SO SO SO SO FAR BETTER than Tolkki playing guitar, that I won't consider answering you properly.

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:32 am

Meh, look at this, I found a pattern and made some stuff up too.

Example:

NO1.111111!!! TOLKKI GODD!!!!!!! HE MAKE BEST MUSICA!!!! JAJAJA!!JAJA!!
NO ESTOY DIABLOS IN MUSICA!!!! JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJJAAJJAJJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJ~!!!!!!!!!! HUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHE

Example 2:

HAHAHAHAH FUCK TOLKKI IS FAT HAHAHA HAHAHA WOW FUCKING BULLSHIT HE CAN'T PLAY....HE'S FAT LOL SO FAT LOL WOW. RR SUCKS LOL FUCK THEM LOL. HE EATS HOT DOGS AND PLAYS ARPEGGIOS ON HIS PET HIPPO IN HELSINKI SAUNA. LOL HE'S CRAZY LOL.

Example 3:

No, see TT made all of strato back catalog and the most memorable power metal songs of all time imho, so he automatically wins and whatever he does is automatically awesome no matter what and I will try my hardest to convince you even if you strongly dislike it, and then we will all be so happy together like peas in a pod all agreeing on everything, joy to the world, he flies thru the rainbow. TT lyrics are the closest you can get to reality!!!!! LISTEN MAN, WE WANT HAPPINESS, NOT SORROW AND EATING BEANS AND RICE EVERYDAY!q!@@#!@#!!~!

eternity_strato

Post by eternity_strato » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:13 am

robocop656 wrote:HE EATS HOT DOGS AND PLAYS ARPEGGIOS ON HIS PET HIPPO IN HELSINKI SAUNA
ROFL

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:55 am

I disagree. If I had to offer Matias constructive criticism, his guitar tones have been mostly emotionally flat. He shreds in a way that's expressive and more importantly innovative enough, but aside from the drama of a really complex transition pulled off really well, I'm never quite pulled into Matias' guitar playing like I was with Tolkki's.

Especially in his prime, some of Tolkki's guitar rips really just stole the entire show. I think a song like "Coming Home", is a great example of something Matias really can't pull off in his own writing yet. First of all, it's a great showcase of Tolkki's classical acoustic playing, that's a rare talent in metal, Even Rhapsody had to hire a guy to play the intro of "Gargoyles: Angels of Darkness" I really liked that flavor of the music.

Second, Tolkki uses excellent restraint in his electric playing. He wrote the song, and his acoustic parts, but really the song was about other parties involved (Mostly Kotipelto, who despite what everyone wants to say these days about "Tolkki destroying his voice, has had some EXCELLENT songs written for him by Mr. Tolkki).

Let's go to something later though, Elements Pt. II, a highly maligned record by the Stratovarius fanbase, this was actually MUCH better received by the public than Elements Pt. I, from what I could tell.

Listen to the song "Alpha and Omega", you don't hear Tolkki stealing the show so much, as in many of his songs, his verses have little to no guitar, to allow the vocals, bass, and drums to create the rhythm, the way music is SUPPOSED to be.

One thing I noticed about Elements Pt. II is that it is in fact very bass heavy, and reflects VERY nicely on Jari Kainluainen. Jorg is great as ever, Jens plays some really great solos, and Kotipelto sounds great. People want to say the band was running out of steam, but I think Tolkki did a brilliant job writing Elements Pt. II.

For Matias, I think this will begin to come with maturity. He made much more strides on Elysium than on Polaris.

This is not however to say that Tolkki is the absolutely better guitarist, because just as Matias couldn't write some of our beloved Stratovarius gems, Tolkki could have NEVER written Infernal Maze.

Matias draws a listener in, but in a different way, In some ways, it is less accessible, because part of the appeal is the technicality, but it is a highly "prog" technical, which is surprising, because his two main influences, Petrucci and Vai, are both kind of major guitar masterbaters. Matias introduces originality and creativity into highly technical guitar wankery, a rare talent. He also draws out Kotipelto in a completely different way. Instead of the emotion of Koti's voice, Matias draws out its voice, which is quite unique, since Kotipelto isn't playing the more "Emotional" side of music, his voice has a stronger edge to it, and it sounds more "Metal". This helps Strato's image a LOT with power metal fans.

I could go on for hours, but it's 4AM. Enjoy

VictorTDD

Post by VictorTDD » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:07 pm

the album was leaked today...

TwilightEagle

Post by TwilightEagle » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:53 pm

One thing I noticed about Elements Pt. II is that it is in fact very bass heavy, and reflects VERY nicely on Jari Kainluainen. Jorg is great as ever, Jens plays some really great solos, and Kotipelto sounds great. People want to say the band was running out of steam, but I think Tolkki did a brilliant job writing Elements Pt. II.
I love both Elements too. They're brilliant Progressive Power Metal albums. Some of hardcore Power Metal fans didn't like them, because they're "too slow and heavy". Although I'm a Power Metal fanatic I love both Elements.

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:19 pm

VictorTDD wrote:the album was leaked today...
THANKS VICTOR!!!!!!!!! I'm not downloading it, though. :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:58 pm

robocop656 wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

VICTOR ALWAYS INFORMS US ABOUT NEWS RELATED TO SYMFONIA OR STRATOVARIUS!

Hey Rebel, I agree with almost everything you have said up there. About emotions...well, maybe Matias need some more time, but listen to the solo in Elysium...
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:57 pm

Balu

Post by Balu » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:56 pm

Rebel wrote:http://daggreview.blogspot.com/
Review is up
Prettymuch agree. Weird.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:56 pm

I agree with that review too.

Listening to the album right now in youtube. I think that TT has done it again. Yes, the album sounds a lot like TT in Stratovarius, but cmon that sound is what I wanted from Timo and it is his style. There are really new ideas and another touch. Damn, it is composed by Tolkki, it's normal that the album sounds like his previous compositions. But it is not the whole album, for me there are some songs that shows another spectrum of ideas coming from this band.

This album FOR ME is the real return of this man to music and I hope this band is here to stay. This album is very Tolkki if you think in the feeling of the songs, don't know how to say it, it is Tolkki.

Rhapsody in Black, I Walk in Neon, Alayna and Don't let me go and Santiago are the ones that has impressed me much. And there are really good and touching solos.

EDIT: And I have to say that the whole band sounds a lot well structured and work really well together. This time this doesn't seems a joke for me.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

Balu

Post by Balu » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:17 am

RazielSR wrote:I agree with that review too.

Listening to the album right now in youtube. I think that TT has done it again. Yes, the album sounds a lot like TT in Stratovarius, but cmon that sound is what I wanted from Timo and it is his style. There are really new ideas and another touch. Damn, it is composed by Tolkki, it's normal that the album sounds like his previous compositions. But it is not the whole album, for me there are some songs that shows another spectrum of ideas coming from this band.

This album FOR ME is the real return of this man to music and I hope this band is here to stay. This album is very Tolkki if you think in the feeling of the songs, don't know how to say it, it is Tolkki.

Rhapsody in Black, I Walk in Neon, Alayna and Don't let me go and Santiago are the ones that has impressed me much. And there are really good and touching solos.

EDIT: And I have to say that the whole band sounds a lot well structured and work really well together. This time this doesn't seems a joke for me.
I don't think of it as highly as you do. This is obviously a good album and a good band - noone can go wrong with names like thatt. But composition wise, I'd say that AoA was superior.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:22 am

Balu wrote:

I don't think of it as highly as you do. This is obviously a good album and a good band - noone can go wrong with names like thatt. But composition wise, I'd say that AoA was superior.
For me AoA is shit and I have never liked that album, just the first week for the hype I suppose. To compare AoA with In Paradiusm is for me like :err:
Even Trinity for me was a lot better, but really bad mixed.

But well, as we all know this is all about thoughts and feelings, taste. I was just expressing what I feel about this album while listening to it for the third time.

Balu

Post by Balu » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:25 am

RazielSR wrote:
Balu wrote:

For me AoA is shit and I have never liked that album, just the first week for the hype I suppose. To compare AoA with In Paradiusm is for me like :err:

But well, as we all know this is all about thoughts and feelings, taste. I was just expressing what I feel about this album while listening to it for the third time.
It probably depends on one's taste. What kind of music do you like mostly? : D

And yeah.. Not going to argue about stuff like this. Maybe if you compliment Buckethead somewhere.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:29 am

Balu wrote:
RazielSR wrote:
Balu wrote:

And yeah.. Not going to argue about stuff like this. Maybe if you compliment Buckethead somewhere.
Oh man, do you want me to talk here about the music I like? :lol: :lol: You can see that in many posts around this forum.
In short, my fav bands are Stratovarius, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Malmsteen, Metallica and Circus Maximus if we talk about metal. Outside here I love The Offspring and I like Bon Jovi band too, but not the nowadays Bon Jovi band.

Bathory Killcraft

Post by Bathory Killcraft » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:31 am

Matos' vocals are really bad in this album. Out of place and he sounds as if he had too many cigarettes. He is seriously struggling to the point of making listening to the album unpleasant. I put Elysium straight after and it was a relief to listen to Kotipelto after this ordeal.

Wtf happened to his voice?
Black Metal is the game I play cos' no one shows me the right way...

Balu

Post by Balu » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:33 am

RazielSR wrote:
Balu wrote:
RazielSR wrote:
Balu wrote:

Oh man, do you want me to talk here about the music I like? :lol: :lol: You can see that in many posts around this forum.
In short, my fav bands are Stratovarius, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Malmsteen, Metallica and Circus Maximus if we talk about metal. Outside here I love The Offspring and I like Bon Jovi band too, but not the nowadays Bon Jovi band.
Yeah, but music taste is everchanging. Like, lately I've got really into Devin Townsend's stuff, also been llistening to Coil and Ulver. So stuff pretty far away from powermetal. :D

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:31 am

Bathory Killcraft wrote:Matos' vocals are really bad in this album. Out of place and he sounds as if he had too many cigarettes. He is seriously struggling to the point of making listening to the album unpleasant. I put Elysium straight after and it was a relief to listen to Kotipelto after this ordeal.

He ate way too much cheerios..
---...---

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:39 am

robocop656 wrote:
But I have NO BUSHES to stare at... do I have the right to download it then?? I might aswell smoke drugs and have sex in my house all day long for that very same reason.
---...---

eternity_strato

Post by eternity_strato » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:01 am

definitely AoA was better than this. And that doesn't say any good about it.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:04 am

AGAG wrote:
Bathory Killcraft wrote:Matos' vocals are really bad in this album. Out of place and he sounds as if he had too many cigarettes. He is seriously struggling to the point of making listening to the album unpleasant. I put Elysium straight after and it was a relief to listen to Kotipelto after this ordeal.

He ate way too much cheerios..
It is well worth it then, for the reduced risk of cardiovascular disease alone. :roll:

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:10 am

He might aswell consume only Flaxseeds for their remarkably low glycemic load. :)
---...---

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:17 am

ANYWAY...

I'm glad In Paradisum was the worst song in the album. I really like Rhapsody in Black and Forevermore.

Let's just give this band some time. Maybe they can accomodate each member's musical path and supercombine them like Strato did. :)

eternity_strato

Post by eternity_strato » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:18 am

He may brush his teeth and then rinses his mouth out with milkshakes.

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:46 am

AGAG wrote:
robocop656 wrote:
But I have NO BUSHES to stare at... do I have the right to download it then?? I might aswell smoke drugs and have sex in my house all day long for that very same reason.
Fucking Cheerios. I'm going to go eat the generic brand version of it right now. Toasted oats. LOL. I put a bush inside my ramen noodles and solved that sex paradox in a jiff.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:52 am

NeverendingAbyss wrote:Maybe they can accomodate each member's musical path and supercombine them like Strato did. :)
I suggest they should do a summation of the line integral of each members path and do a fourier series decomposition of the resulting function. :)

Verdades Parias

Post by Verdades Parias » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:46 am

My god Alayna is soooo boring!!!!!!!!!! but in overall the album is good, not amazing, but good effort, I'm surprised with Mikko's talent :headbang:

Febo

Post by Febo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:53 pm

Five listens and can say that in my opinion the album is bad…

There you have Uli pretending to be Jörg even though he does not need that. I’m a big fan of him and he had never sounded like this before; he’s a brilliant composer and a very technical drummer with an own style, but well, Tolkki is the boss and Kusch had to sound just like the Spiritually Illuminated One ordered him to.

Jari is a hell of a great musician but doesn’t get to shine at all.

Mikko is an EXTREMELY gifted keyboard player that frustratingly falls short just like the rest. Production is bad overall, making him seem to be absent at times, and the keyboard sounds as if the keys were disgustingly throwing up the notes, especially on the solos.

Matos is a good singer that actually can sound well… and Tolkki (Producer and mixer) managed it to make him sound fucking horrible. I believe that nobody could dare to say his performance is even acceptable. He suffers from the bad production like Härkin does and there are times in which is even pitiful and painful to listen to him.

Tolkki… well, I guess he has misunderstood the culture of recycling, and how and when it has to be applied. Not to mention how he sounds weak… TOO DAMN WEAK and how many of his solos on this album must be some of the worst I’ve heard in Power Metal.

Fields of Avalon and Forevermore desperately try to sound like good old school melodic power metal anthems and they don’t. The first one borrows Will the sun rise? guitar riff, attaches some elements of Legions and then adds the infamous “Fields Of Avalon, call my name (Been dying for a sign) Leading me without a shame (when faith has been on the line), I've got noone to blame, and when things are getting tough (When you find your love on wasted grounds), don't give up, just follow me (You're taking to the sound)... to Fields Of Avalon! (It’s Shelter from the Rain!)”. Good try though.

Then Forevermore, well, mmm, is that Heroes riff? Does not matter, I would have forgiven that if it wasn’t for the uh, well… the whole rest of the song. Should I mention how the lyrics are cheesy and ABSOLUTELY OUT OF PLACE? Haven’t anyone told Tolkki how IT IS possible to give a positive message without sounding this pathetic? He didn’t have to search for hours to realize that fact: “When all my hope is gone, I’m waiting for the dawn, I raise my head and find my own way out of the day, I’ve left my past behind, I’m reaching for the light, I’m not afraid to live my life, I’ll take what is mine, I’ll make my way through the darkest hours of my day!” It’s not that hard, Timo. Then the instrumental break comes… and it comes with an extremely unattractive keyboard passage. Then Tolkki does something… well, I guess he would call that a guitar solo, yeah, well, it’s a bad, uninspired bunch of notes and go and come senselessly and lacking melody. Then, as if the chorus wasn’t rainbowly annoying enough, we get to hear it FOUR times during the song. Why?

Come by the Hills kicks in with a HHAL base. Then again Tolkki stating how he likes to fly, be free and sail to new horizons before delighting us with another bad solo. Where did the power go on here? This is bland and lasts forever.

In Alayna, we can find a good cure to help Insomnia. Thanks, Timo :) Pilgrim Road is an abomination that should have stayed in Timo’s mind and never see the light of day while In Paradisum is Revolution Renaissance extended, cheesier, “Destined”, inferior overall version.

I Walk in Neon leads us to nowhere with Matos sounding more nasal than ever. I remember that Timo stated it’d make us remind Black Diamond, why? ‘cause of the harpsichord styled into? Bravo.

But the last track… that last track is the truly interesting one… for it’s the one that involves better all of Timo’s intentions with this album and band. Well I don’t buy it that cheap.

Hope they come up with something better next time, if it’s that they’ll release a second album together.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:07 pm

Febo wrote:Five listens and can say that in my opinion the album is bad…

There you have Uli pretending to be Jörg even though he does not need that. I’m a big fan of him and he had never sounded like this before; he’s a brilliant composer and a very technical drummer with an own style, but well, Tolkki is the boss and Kusch had to sound just like the Spiritually Illuminated One ordered him to.

Jari is a hell of a great musician but doesn’t get to shine at all.

Mikko is an EXTREMELY gifted keyboard player that frustratingly falls short just like the rest. Production is bad overall, making him seem to be absent at times, and the keyboard sounds as if the keys were disgustingly throwing up the notes, especially on the solos.

Matos is a good singer that actually can sound well… and Tolkki (Producer and mixer) managed it to make him sound fucking horrible. I believe that nobody could dare to say his performance is even acceptable. He suffers from the bad production like Härkin does and there are times in which is even pitiful and painful to listen to him.

Tolkki… well, I guess he has misunderstood the culture of recycling, and how and when it has to be applied. Not to mention how he sounds weak… TOO DAMN WEAK and how many of his solos on this album must be some of the worst I’ve heard in Power Metal.

Fields of Avalon and Forevermore desperately try to sound like good old school melodic power metal anthems and they don’t. The first one borrows Will the sun rise? guitar riff, attaches some elements of Legions and then adds the infamous “Fields Of Avalon, call my name (Been dying for a sign) Leading me without a shame (when faith has been on the line), I've got noone to blame, and when things are getting tough (When you find your love on wasted grounds), don't give up, just follow me (You're taking to the sound)... to Fields Of Avalon! (It’s Shelter from the Rain!)”. Good try though.

Then Forevermore, well, mmm, is that Heroes riff? Does not matter, I would have forgiven that if it wasn’t for the uh, well… the whole rest of the song. Should I mention how the lyrics are cheesy and ABSOLUTELY OUT OF PLACE? Haven’t anyone told Tolkki how IT IS possible to give a positive message without sounding this pathetic? He didn’t have to search for hours to realize that fact: “When all my hope is gone, I’m waiting for the dawn, I raise my head and find my own way out of the day, I’ve left my past behind, I’m reaching for the light, I’m not afraid to live my life, I’ll take what is mine, I’ll make my way through the darkest hours of my day!” It’s not that hard, Timo. Then the instrumental break comes… and it comes with an extremely unattractive keyboard passage. Then Tolkki does something… well, I guess he would call that a guitar solo, yeah, well, it’s a bad, uninspired bunch of notes and go and come senselessly and lacking melody. Then, as if the chorus wasn’t rainbowly annoying enough, we get to hear it FOUR times during the song. Why?

Come by the Hills kicks in with a HHAL base. Then again Tolkki stating how he likes to fly, be free and sail to new horizons before delighting us with another bad solo. Where did the power go on here? This is bland and lasts forever.

In Alayna, we can find a good cure to help Insomnia. Thanks, Timo :) Pilgrim Road is an abomination that should have stayed in Timo’s mind and never see the light of day while In Paradisum is Revolution Renaissance extended, cheesier, “Destined”, inferior overall version.

I Walk in Neon leads us to nowhere with Matos sounding more nasal than ever. I remember that Timo stated it’d make us remind Black Diamond, why? ‘cause of the harpsichord styled into? Bravo.

But the last track… that last track is the truly interesting one… for it’s the one that involves better all of Timo’s intentions with this album and band. Well I don’t buy it that cheap.

Hope they come up with something better next time, if it’s that they’ll release a second album together.
Bashmode overload

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:04 pm

What a shame. The biggest reason I was interested in Symfonia in the first place, was the chance to hear Matos' songwriting style intertwining with that of Tolkki's, but from what I've read and heard it seems like it's pretty much all Tolkki. And very uninspired at that, it seems.